[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you separate the art from the artist, /mu/? Is there anyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: 300px-Varg_Vikernes.jpg (17 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
300px-Varg_Vikernes.jpg
17 KB, 300x200
Can you separate the art from the artist, /mu/? Is there anyone you have a hard time listening to based on their antics outside of music?
Pic Related seems to be a common one
>>
>>63528804
I don't care about that stuff at all. I just listen to stuff and don't even think about the artist or band members making it.
>>
I think this dudes "antics" are fucking hilarious and it makes me like his music a little bit more.
>>
i think it's critical. You should have to be able to watch a nazi propaganda film and be like "nice cinematography"
>>
>>63528897
>Implying the Soviets weren't the cinematography master race
>>
yes. but why would you use Varg. he's done nothing wrong
>>
Depends how good their music is.

I'm not going to waste my time defending somebody's music if they're just as shitty an artist as they are a person.
>>
>>63528804
I'm a /pol/tard so I don't have much of a problem with Varg's politics. I had a friend who refused to listen to The College Dropout because he didn't like Kanye's persona though. His loss I guess.
>>
>>63529004
I hope 10th grade goes well for you.
>>
Eh it's more about fanbases with me, the more obnoxious they get the less I like the stuff, but only examples I can think of is memerap (yung lean, bones, death grips), outside of those I don't think I ever cared about anything that has nothing to do with music. I liked varg about 5-6 years ago I guess, got tired of the whole bm since then, his views ain't nothing special for the genre, exactly what one should expect.
>>
>>63529576
>Eh it's more about fanbases with me, the more obnoxious they get the less I like the stuff
you'll grow out of that
>>
I could acknowledge Varg's music is complete garbage, even before I knew he murdered someone.
>>
>implying Grishnackh did anything wrong
it was self defense
>>
>>63528889
"you"
>>
Who gives a shit, euronymous was a faggot anyway.
>>
Kanye.
Motherfucker annoys the hell out of me. Until he stops acting like an autist, I'll never listen to his tunes,
>>
Garbage person, garbage music.
>>
A lot of people refuse to listen to Charles Manson
>>
>>63529072
simply epic my man

#gottem
>>
>>63528925
>>63528897
ehhh Triumph Of The Will and Olympia > Man With A Camera
>>
>>63529759
Although this has barely anything to do with his persona
>>
Varg and his ilk are basically the reason white men are generally disliked on a personal level by literally every other group on the planet
>>
>>63529072
le epic leberal comeback
>>
>>63529854
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep
>>
File: mario loses the will to fight.gif (97 KB, 398x303) Image search: [Google]
mario loses the will to fight.gif
97 KB, 398x303
>>63529759
I only liked Look At Your Game, Girl
And even then just barely
>>
The only instance where I can't do that is the Smiths. I just can't listen to music made by people who I know look like that.
>>
>>63529796
But wasn't the whole point of this thread about separating the artist from the art? Or people having a hard time listening to an artist because of their antics outside of music? Lots of people can't or won't listen to Charles Manson because of what he did.

>>63530022
At least you gave it a chance. It's not everybody's thing, but I think it's good, and, apparently, so did The Beach Boys, Redd Kross, and Guns and Roses. Even Neil Young saw potential in his music the one time they both met.
>>
>>63528804
Absolutely, you can. You have to. How else could anyone like Kanye?
>>
>>63530178
You forgot to mention Devo covering Mechanical Man.
>>
>>63529971
cringe
>>
File: 406043463_50b594781c.jpg (44 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
406043463_50b594781c.jpg
44 KB, 500x333
>>63528804
>Is there anyone you have a hard time listening to based on their antics outside of music?
thankfully steven drozd is there to balance shit out.
>>
File: 1455473235999.jpg (36 KB, 600x607) Image search: [Google]
1455473235999.jpg
36 KB, 600x607
>>63528804
I don't know who made the computer I'm typing on or who brewed the beer I'm sipping and I couldn't care less what they're like as people. Same with artists
>>
>>63528804
If I avoided music based on what I thought of the musicians actions and social/political views I would have nothing to listen to, so I really don't care anymore and just listen to whatever sounds good.
>>
>>63531192
/thread
>>
>>63530206
To be honest knowing how Kanye acts outside of his music kinda makes me like it more. For example, Kanye being so arrogant and full of himself enhances his verses in Monster for me:
"Gossip, gossip, nigga just stop it
Everybody know I'm a motherfucking monster
I'm-a need to see your fucking hands at the concert
I'm-a need to see your fucking hands at the concert"
>>
>>63528925
Soviets had the editing, Nazis had the best composition, Murricans had the best cinematography
>>
>>63528804
I can appreciate its merits. I'm sure as shit not going to actively listen to it, on principle alone.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.