[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get into Jazz What should I listen to other than this.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 13
File: MilesDavisKindofBlue.jpg (33 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
MilesDavisKindofBlue.jpg
33 KB, 400x400
I want to get into Jazz
What should I listen to other than this. Different mix of genres of Jazz would be best. Make me a patrician /mu/.
>>
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/unregistered/jazz_collection_essentials/
>>
>>63528732
saxophone colossus
Mingus Ah Um
>>
>>63528777
>>63528813
Thanks family, just started listening to Saxopone Colossus and it sounds fucking amazing.
>>
listen to one of the best jazz tunes of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8BbkfVauKE
>>
>>63528732
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT17H7e8GZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsAMAIaas94

Listen to Bebop and join the dark side
>>
>>63528732
Kenny G, The Greatest Hits
>>
>>63529321
Is that Bebop? Can someone explain the different Jazz sub genres?
>>
>>63528732
Depends. You like bebop? Listen to Mingus stuff, Ah um and Blues & Roots. Like Cool Jazz? Check out On Time. Check out GoGo Penguin if you like the Modern Stuff. Continue to listen to Miles if you like Modal.
>>
File: 1391382860417.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2976) Image search: [Google]
1391382860417.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2976
This is probably the best reference if you're looking to dive into the different subgenres
>>
File: Slick mfs.jpg (469 KB, 1052x815) Image search: [Google]
Slick mfs.jpg
469 KB, 1052x815
>>63529371
Bebop is technical with many chord changes and classical music licks sometimes and centers around these two slick motherfuckers
>>
>>63528732
Weather Report is good.
>>
>>63529450
This is perfect, thanks a ton man!
>>
What is the difference between bebop and hard bop? Musically speaking
>>
>>63529455
Listening to Mingus right now and it's crazy, Bepop just might be my favorite for now.
>>
>>63529450
This is trash
>>
Art Blakey is the definition of Hard Bop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lm5shcm1CM
>>
>>63529591
Why?
>>
>>63529569
Mingus is great but very different and unique there was a band in his honor it was a really good one too.
>>
>>63529569
what are you listening to? like u have a link or title
>>
>>63529679
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OSyznVDOY
>>
>>63529699
I FUCKING KNEW IT
yeah everyone listens to that one its great sorry to burst ur bubble but thats not really Charles mingus playing bass its his honor band check this one its by the same band Ronnie Cuber plays the Baritone sax in the start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPfSD0vJi8Y

Its name comes from the Haiti the island that the slaves revolted and took their freedom by force and won
>>
File: 1454087735844.jpg (73 KB, 524x468) Image search: [Google]
1454087735844.jpg
73 KB, 524x468
>>63529867
Whoops, I guess I'll just look at his album then.
>>
>>63529907
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_f4K2YUicw

This one has no mistake great flow of sounds never gets boring.
>>
Snarky Puppy

Greatest thing out there right now, also not boring as fuck (which most of the 'classics' are)
>>
>>63529562
CAN ANYONE CLARIFY THAT OUT FOR ME? :(
>>
File: Head_Hunters_Album.jpg (72 KB, 350x351) Image search: [Google]
Head_Hunters_Album.jpg
72 KB, 350x351
You probably aren't looking for fusion records but this album played a HUGE role in jazz history
>>
>>63529562
Hard bop isn't insanely fast. That's about it
>>
>>63529957
Fusion is ok not good
>>63529953
Hard bop is more serious and people dont smile or talk its just bebop but taken in a new light with more and more blues.
I personally think you dont need to know the difference they are both very similar but when Charlie parker died people did new shit and be bop became Hard Bop
>>
>>63529993
>>63530029
thanks
>>
>>63528732
If you want some more modern big band stuff check out Serendipity 18 by The Bob Florence Limited Edition, it's one of my favorite albums.
>>
>>63529450
>Take notice of their intonation
>I recommend smoking some marijuana
Whoever wrote this is retarded and completely clueless about music.
>>
Duke Ellington is the fucking king of the whole Genre not Louis Armstrong. EVERYONE loves him
>>
>>63530323
LOOOOOOOOOOOOL
i didnt even see that LMFAOO who the fuck made this???
>>
I like swing, specifically Benny.

Glenn's my favorite big Band tho, but if u want a fun and light hearted clean amusement try this

https://youtu.be/SpkW-w8SKgo

BG's camel Caravan broadcast is probably my favorite swing broad cast. His in the mood was amazing,

https://youtu.be/zx4CwKV20Yc

and Moonlight Serenade was more touching than Glenn's will ever be.

https://youtu.be/rPJvLu_UtRg
>>
>>63529450
whoever made this chart is definitely not a jazz musician
>>
>>63530759
you got good taste
>>
>>63530832
what's not right about this chart? could you possibly make a better one, because i'd be interested
>>
>>63530867
Thank you anon, I know I will get shit for this, but I can not move out of swing. I love it too much, its fun, its bright, its beautiful, and the joy I get from it is too great to put into words. I don't hold many things dear in life, but I love this music. Nothing makes me more happy than waking up to this every morning.

https://youtu.be/CuTcvmyKIvY

The music is so uplifting, swing as a whole represents something to me that I know not everyone may understand. I do not think other music is bad, I think pink Floyd is very good but I do not care for their music. It's just not swing. I think what I love the most is swing can be happy, it can be sentimental, it can be sad, and it can be powerful in all forms. But the biggest appeal to me is its not dirty, its clean, and doesn't resort to sexual themes to sell its records.
>>
>>63531039
So all in all OP, I highly recommend swing, but don't get stuck. Branch out, some people like bebop some like fusion, but don't get stuck on just one, like me. Its the lonliest feeling, being the only one who listens to swing. I don't talk about it with my peers at all bc I'd get shit on for only liking one genre, which maybe I deserve it. Maybe I deserve hate for not branching out, even when I've tried. But I would take all the hate in the world if I meant I could enjoy swing
>>
>>63531039
Yeah man Jazz is powerful Swing is solid dont be ashamed it's music it enjoyed a great popularity for a reason. Every Bebopper listened to swing they loved it just they didn't want to be a back up they wanted to be center.
I love swing too there are some places you can still hear it
>>
>>63531187
that sucks I get shit on for liking obsucre shit and jazz swing and other underground stuff nobody likes my music it fucking sucks I know that feeling!

hope you enjoy the rest of your day man
>>
>>63531211

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Td4ryodJk
>>
>>63531211
>>63531258
Thank you anons, you guys honestly made me really happy. I've never really had anyone else respond positively to one of my swing passion posts before in a thread, really guys thank you.

https://youtu.be/yM6r8dQ_7cc
>>
File: received_446888548838288.jpg (23 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
received_446888548838288.jpg
23 KB, 960x720
>>63530759
Never actually met anyone else who liked swing. My nigga.

>mission to Moscow is best Glenn Miller song
>>
>>63531466
Swing Brothers Unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>63531466
Hate to break it to you, but Goodman did it better, even though Miller is my favorite, and they're both BASICALLY the same arrangement, Goodmans is much more crisp and swings better.

Best Miller song in my opinion is Chattanooga Choo Choo, but that's because it's my all time favorite song, and that's because it's what got me into jazz. In history one day we were covering wartime music, but played stuff like be bop which isn't war time. Except for chattanooga, and I was in love as soon as I heard it. I was so happy. Finally, music I enjoy. I told all my friends how I loved that song, but of course I got shat on. No one likes jazz, my grandma listens to better music than you. it didn't hurt. It angered me. I was pent up, I thought all music is shit but this song. But I learned more, I got more into music theory, and tried other genres. I can appreciate talent, such as again, pink Floyd, but I just don't listen to it. Now, when asked if I still listen to jazz, I don't go "ITS SWING, U WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND." I just say yes. No more conversation.
>>
>>63531620
Oh, and if you want an example of using swing in vain, here.

https://youtu.be/1IqH3uliwJY

It's sad, seeing such a beautiful genre slapped with inappropriate themes. Swing to me is above this, more pure.
>>
>>63531620
Go to a swing dance competition or new orleans GO right now do it!!!!!!!
>>
>>63531688
that shit makes me mad it puts jazz to a bad name like it's making fun of it :(. There are some actually bands that play swing well though just look for them.
>>
>>63531706
I want to go to new Orleans so bad. I've heard that there's still good swing there played on the streets. It's my own little land of canan.
>>
>>63531620
Well, he was called the king of swing for a reason. Chattanooga has an amazing swing to it as well. Kay Kyser and Gene Krupa are some more of my faves
>>
>>63531761
yeah man just go for that feeling and dont let go!!
I liked bebop because of lester young and solos and wanted to hear more solos bebop is pretty bad now like dead but swing is a tradition in Orleans.
>>
>>63531748
Oh I know, I do enjoy hearing a new band play swing, unfortunately a lot of them stop after one or two albums. Black cat zoot had so much promise, and this new lazy electro swing, taking someone else's work and adding wubs and a beat to it, is just a cock tease.
>>
>>63531793
Krupa was great on drums for the secret, I love being able to hear a Goodman song and recognise that krupa sound. I also love the rare moments Lionel Hampton was allowed to use the high hats, he slaps them in such an enthusiastic way that bursts with the same passion I have.
>>
>>63531817
yeah man fuck that shit. I used to be obsessed with Charlie Parker and Bop it's a thing a good thing to do but eventually you will like a lot more music no way you cant like Benny and swing forever itll come dont worry but always come back to your first cuz thats your first!
>>
>>63531872
Krupa defietly has one hell of a sound. Goodman's trio work with Charlie christian is amazing as well, honeysuckle rose is a classic.
>>
>>63531814
Thank you anon, thank all of you so much, its great being able to share the thing I love the most with people like you guys. And I see the apeal to bebop, it definitely has a place in jazz history. I understand the desire for solos and respect it, however I personally like to hear when the entire band is working at once to make one big but coherant swinging sound. It's like that scene in ratatouille. Some ingredients are amazing on their own. But it's when u combine the flavors all at once that the sparks fly
>>
Horace Silver.
>>
>>63531872
*sextet not secret sorry
>>
I'm afraid I have to go, really guys u made me extremely happy talking with you. It's been a real pleasure to have a genuine discussion. Let's not make it our last, hm?

For now, and for the future,

anon.
>>
>>63531955
Goodbye friend... :)
>>
File: SkypePhoto_20151209_170906.jpg (322 KB, 664x955) Image search: [Google]
SkypePhoto_20151209_170906.jpg
322 KB, 664x955
>>63532086
G-Goodbye swinganon, please come back one day, ok?
>>
>>63532221
i will make it my duty to find swinganon and you again
see you soon
>>
I have insomnia and have depression which i take pills for and it's not working but this makes me feel better thank you everyone and thanks swinganon may Benny be with you
>>
>>63532268
Swing thread real soon, ok guys?
>>
>>63532382
yes make one same time around ill search for it
>>
>>63532382
U would have to make it a jazz general, swings too sparce on this board to keep a bump.
>>
>>63532415

Swing finding and Jazz in general but mostly to find swing people again
>>
>>63529488
kek
>>
>>63532435
Sounds like a plan, see you guys soon
>>
File: cover.jpg (111 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
111 KB, 1000x1000
WE
>>
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 508x456) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 508x456
>>
>>63533720
Aw there's a tiny him running in him
>>
Miles' Birth of the cool, Coltrane's Blue Trane and Giant Steps, Ornette Coleman's Shape Of Jazz to Come, Bill Evans' Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Dave Brubeck's Take Five, Jan Garbarek's Dis, Anything by "Bird" Charlie Parker, Evan Parker's The Snake Decides, Keith Jarret's Koln Concert, The Luois Armstrong/Ella Fitzgerald duo album, The Clifford Brown/ Sarah Vaughan Album, Jazz Immortal by Clifford Brown, Concert by the Sea by Erroll Garner.
>>
>>63532462
Eat a bag of dicks you pretentious bitch. Jaco Pastorius is good.
>>
>>63534822
but weather report was shit
>>
>>63533548
Sun Ra is a god
>>
File: miles davis with sonny rollins.jpg (463 KB, 982x1000) Image search: [Google]
miles davis with sonny rollins.jpg
463 KB, 982x1000
bump
>>
>>63529429
>On Time
You mean Time Out.

Also, don't listen to Go Go Penguin, Kamasi Washington, BBNG, Snarky Puppy etc. op. If you're actually looking to get into jazz, listen to jazz musicians.
>>
File: bab.jpg (59 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
bab.jpg
59 KB, 500x500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWpVXqbY8fM
>>
>>63534848
No
>>
File: 1447276079236.jpg (2 MB, 3000x4593) Image search: [Google]
1447276079236.jpg
2 MB, 3000x4593
>>63529450
Posting the extension because
>No Thelonious Monk on the original

Also, nobody should take this thing as gospel. It's a nice starter kit but it's missing a lot of artists and albums that would be considered essential.
>>
>>63530832
Actually, he is and has actually posted recordings of himself playing. He does a pretty Bill Evans impersonation.
>>
>>63537417
Kamasi Washington is literally a jazz musician

This level of elitism is just retarded
>>
What genre would these songs be called/where could I find more similar to these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6d1CdRhwmI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzWLwASzJpM

Very recently I've been getting into jazz as well, and I'm not too familiar with genre definitions. It reminded me that Sim City 3000 would of had to been my first exposure to jazz, since I've played this game since I was at least 6 years old or so.
>>
>>63528732
Thats a good starter album for jazz. Its pretty much what everyone thinks of when they hear the word Jazz. I would try some other albums, like maybe John Coltrane (if understand a little bit of music theory, A Love Supreme is a challenging album but branches off to other albums that are even better), Joey Alexander, Ibrahim Maloof, Walter Wanderly (very smooth and fun to listen to, and one of the best jazz organists I've heard) and Louis Armstrong. Most of these guys are great but are basic enough (with the exception of Coltrane and Davis' later work) to give you an understanding of jazz while allowing you to appreciate the roots. If you already like hip hop, listening to The Roots and A Tribe Called Quest are good transition groups with very polished discographies. After that, I would suggest going to local record shops and diving in the jazz section for albums that have nice cover art. At all the local record shops in my area, I can pick up like 7 used records for about $20 every single week and a lot of them are decent to amazing. Its how I discovered Wanderly, for example.

I would also listen to some blues as well, just because of how connected the genres were back in the 1930s, and will give you a historical appreciation of how blues evolved into rock/folk and how jazz evolved into hip hop/R&B.
>>
>>63537504
If that's your standard for what a proper jazz musician is, that's cool. I don't think there's any reason to consider people like Washington when there are more artists than one could ever hope to listen to in the jazz cannon who are better musicians than him.
>>
>>63528732
If you wanna go Jazz, go Fusion!

>Jeff Lorber
>Allan Holdsworth
>Soft Machines
>Al Di Meola
>John Scofield
>Dennis Chambers
>Victor Wooten
>Frank Gambale
>Chris Buck's 3 Crows
>Herbie Hancock
>Tony Williams
>John McLaughlin
>Mahavishnu Orchestra
>Jazz Pistols
>CAB
>Dixie Dregs
Those are all i can quickly think on top of my head since most of the music is in following key musicians
>>
>>63537599
>If you wanna go Jazz, go Not-Jazz!
>>63537489
Where's third stream and the truly experimental stuff? (see >>63533548)
>>
>>63537789
Third Stream is a fairly small sub genre that doesn't represent a particular movement or period in jazz. Including it would be like including soul jazz when hard bop is already on>>63529450 There are plenty of albums on both charts that take elements from classical music already.
As for the "truly experimental stuff" have you looked at either charts? There are plenty of ground breaking artists on both of them.
What did Space is the Place do that no other album had done before it? It's not even Sun Ra's most acclaimed album in the jazz community. It's more something that people who aren't that into jazz put on a totem because it's the most flagrantly obvious display of Sun Ra's sci fi gimmick.
>>
I created a thread asking for some Noir Jazz albums but all I got was a fedora so I'm gonna ask here
How do I into Noir Jazz?
>>63533548
WUZ AT OUTER SPACE N SHIET
Great album.
>>
>>63529450
where is the black saint & the sinner lady?
where is a love supreme?
shit chart
>>
>>63529949
What a terrible post. Reddit tier
>>
>>63530029
>fusion is ok not good

Jesus Christ
>>
>>63529450
does jtg still post?
>>
>>63537789
Fusion isn't jazz!
Fusion isn't derived from jazz practices!
Fusion didn't get its start through miles!!
>>
>>63538152
Dawn of Midi, Chat Noir, The Kilimandjaro Darkjazz Ensemble, and there must be something to be found on Tzadik in that category.
>>
>>63538294
Yes, but I mostly only see him in the blindfold threads or the occasional jazz general
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.