[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It is really rare for it to take multiple listens to "get"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: tago mago.jpg (177 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
tago mago.jpg
177 KB, 600x600
It is really rare for it to take multiple listens to "get" an album for me. Many of the albums that people on here have said took many listens to understand or like I liked on first listen, like White Light/White Heat or Spiderland. Pic related along with Faust s/t are the only albums that took multiple listens for me to like. Is this a bad thing? Is this a good thing?
>>
How many times did you listen to Trout Mask Replica?
>>
great albums usually require context, just like a good movie or a good book. they don't necessarily tell a story, but they build up over time and become something greater when you have a bigger picture of it
>>
File: 1280x720-PDb.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1280x720-PDb.jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
Wow anon! You're so special. Here's your star :)
>TFW too lazy to search a gold star
>>
Anyone who has a fair amount of experience with more progressive and avant-garde music is obviously going to get stuff sooner.

I immediately knew there was something interesting about Tago Mago, Trout Mask Replica, and Faust on the first listen. It took me multiple to really understand the sound and get into the music for each.

And White Light/White Heat and Spiderland are entry level and accessible for the most part.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 300x225
It happens, OP. It's not uncommon and it's definitely not something to be ashamed of.

As for myself, I can't exactly recall hating an album on a first listen and then loving it upon multiple listens, but I do know that most of the time I relisten to a record that I already enjoy to some degree, my admiration and interest for it tends to grow rather than shrink.
>>
I loved both Monster Movie and Future Days, what should I expect from this album?
>>
>>63528087
how the fuck does this album take multipule listens to "get"?

I mean I listened to this first when I was a 14 year old pink floyd fan boy and even i thought this shit bumped.

There is nothing inaccessible about this you fools.
>>
>>63528295
basically those but like 5 times better
>>
>>63528295
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 388x385) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 388x385
>>63528330
I can definitely understand why someone wouldn't "get" Aumgn or Peking O. That shit is scary.
>>
>>63528353
>>63528398
Sounds good
>>
>>63528087
OP, for 90% of the albums I listen to, it takes at least a few listens for me to "get" them. You're not alone.
>>
>>63528140
one and I like it
>>63528172
They were pretty accessible for me but on RYM, here, and talking to friends it seems like people needed multiple listens
>>63528159
I'm not bragging I'm just wondering if this is something common or normal etc
>>
>>63528484
No I'm on the opposite side, it usually only takes one listen for me to like it
>>
>>63528172
This.

But on that note, Tago Mago isn't as good as people tout.
>>
>>63529173
Stop opinionating your wrong opinion

Tago Mago is fucking incredible. Can already blew me away with Future Days but Tago Mago was somehow even better
>>
>>63529263

I put off Tago Mago for a looong time. Long enough to find other German bands of note like Amon Duul II, Guru Guru, Faust, Ash Ra Tempel, Walter Wemuller's Tarot, Eloy's Dawn, etc. When I finally swung around to Tago Mago I just didn't, and don't, see what all the fuss is. What Can does on Tago Mago in 18 minutes with Halleluwah, repetitive drum beats with uninteresting guitar improvs, Amon Duul II in the same year constructed a soaring fantastical landscape with The Marylin-Monroe-Memorial-Church. Vocally, what Damo is up to, John L. did with more interesting instrumentation to back him up on Ash Ra Tempel's Schwingungen, released a year later.

I do not see the fuss. I don't. It is nowhere near bad, just not very engrossing to me like the others.
>>
Monster Movie is a more easy listen IMO.
>>
>>63528295
BPABPABAPPAPPPPPAPPAPAPAPALALLALLAPALPALVLZZZLZLZLZPAAPAAPABAOAAABASHBBABZBABZBAAZAMMZANBZBAZOBAOZBOAZAOZJAZBZOOAAEUEAHANNZAALALLSKSSALLZAABABBAABA;SASKAZABA;ASA;SPAUSOjm?!????!?!??!?!L;Slskdl:sdklS,KL;DMSM
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.