[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of Tool?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10
File: aasdf.png (439 KB, 658x432) Image search: [Google]
aasdf.png
439 KB, 658x432
What does /mu/ think of Tool?
>>
File: 51r4OKcnueL._UX385_.jpg (14 KB, 385x383) Image search: [Google]
51r4OKcnueL._UX385_.jpg
14 KB, 385x383
Essential highschoolrebel-core
>>
A really good band that gets shit on way too much.

Claiming they're the best band ever is less of an exaggeration than saying they suck.
>>
>>63526845
they are tools
>>
>>63526845
Dream Theater, Coheed and Cambria, and Tool are like the same band.
>>
i like tool
>>
>>63526964
Tool isn't cringe
>>
>>63526986
If you say so
>>
File: 1458360271034.png (21 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1458360271034.png
21 KB, 900x900
>>63526964
>>
>>63526845
I like lateralus
and the lyrics aren't as edgy-teenager as I thought
in fact, they are quite positive
>>
>>63527012
Don't fall for the meme, it's a loud minority who spams the same shit.
Personally not a huge fan but they're far from being a bad band and don't deserve all the hate.
>>
>>63526964
Tool doen't sound like Dream Theater you dumb fuck
>>
>>63527614
Yeah pretty much. Grew up listening to Tool so I have a soft spot for them, but I realize they aren't the best. But they are far from the worst and some of their music is pretty cool if I say so myself.
>>
My favorite band, even though I recognize that they are not the "best band ever" like many tool fans claim.
>>
File: OJIOSfh.jpg (42 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
OJIOSfh.jpg
42 KB, 420x420
>>63527008
>>
I like tool... they, NAIL their music.
>>
>>63526935
This.

I feel like they've been "working on a new album" since the Cretaceous Period. Hope it's a real thing.
I love Tool but would never wear tool merch. For obvious reasons.
>>
>>63527992
Out of control
>>
Guys, Tool is Hot Topic/Street Kid tier.
If you really get off on listening to edgy pseudo prog "rock" then maybe you should be scouring ash trays outside of shopping malls rather than shitposting here on a Taiwanese aquarium enthusiast imageboard.
>>
They take themselves too seriously. Too edgy. Stale sense of humor and absurdity.
>>
To me their singer's voice makes me want to kill myself so I try to avoid listening to them.
>>
>>63526964
this. People who think Tool are unique are retarded.
>>
>>63528085

Well the last tour they played a new song so there's that
>>
>>63528635
you're so cool
>>
>>63528635
>>63526889
>being this image-obsessed
>>
>>63529305
>>63529345
Don't you two have kush to be toking on? Little brothers to be beating down?
>>
>>63526845
Honestly, if there were no lyrics, I'd consider them to be one of my favorites.
>>
>>63526845
Awesome band, not what we could call the best band in the world but perfect and unique in what they do.
Shame that they don't do more albums
>>
>>63526845
pretentious. all they are is a good band, not a spiritual outlet
>>
>>63526845
Cool band, severely underrated on this board because a lot of cringey teenagers happen to like them and Pitchfork doesn't. Also their music is 'edgy' which apparently automatically means bad despite the fact this board has regular Death Grips generals and sucks Michael Gira's dick.

I don't get the Dream Theater comparisons at all. They both have some awful fans (although even that is an exagerrated meme to some extent), but with DT the actual music is just as cheesy as its audience. Tool were genuinely original, and the musical link between King Crimson-style prog and alternative rock/metal.

Also /mu/ just has a dislike for modern prog in general because it's so self-serious. Bands like Tool and The Mars Volta aren't aloof enough to fit the P4K image.

It's just funny because King Crimson is /mu/core and Robert Fripp is a known Tool fan. He and Adrian Belew have even worked extensively with Porcupine Tree, another modern prog band /mu/ hates.

So, yeah, I like them, but I do see how their attitude and that of (some of) their fans could rub people the wrong way. Not the best band out there, but unique and interesting enough that I don't see how people could really see them as 'bad' without factoring in image.
>>
>>63530976
>/mu/ is one person

I like all the bands you mentioned except DT but jesus this post is pure retardation
>>
>>63531064
When I say '/mu/,' I mean most of /mu/, or what some like to call the 'general consensus.' It's just easier to say /mu/ instead of clarifying each time that I don't think every person that has ever posted on this board has the exact same opinion. Hope that makes sense.
>>
They're pretty good, but their fan base is a fucking cancer. They believe that any band that's not them is the worst thing in existence.
>>
File: toolparabola.png (153 KB, 500x399) Image search: [Google]
toolparabola.png
153 KB, 500x399
Pretty life changing shit.

I couldn't give a shit what anyone else thinks of them. Favorite band to this day.
>>
File: Avril gurl.jpg (99 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
Avril gurl.jpg
99 KB, 470x313
>>63526845
I don't like Tool because they're boring as a prog and metal band. I recognize their musicianship but it doesn't make up for music this sterile. The riffs are tired, the progressions are commonplace, and overall, they're a clear shadow of their influences. Tool simply doesn't have a place in modern prog IMO. They're not as exciting as The Mars Volta or Maudlin, they don't particularly stand-out songwriting and production like Porcupine Tree or Riverside, they're not even entertaining in their badness like DT or Pain of Salvation. They're just kind of there, which makes the hyperbole of their devoted fans perplexing
>>
>>63529819
Go listen to your nuetral milk hotel meme-tier shit band that nobody except you fuckin knows

Because let's be honest, once a band becomes popular, it's instantly shit, right? You could NEVER have the same music tastes as normies, right?
>>
>>63531386
im with you, anon
>>
>>63531387
Well, there is the fact they predate all the good bands you mentioned by a solid 5-10 years, besides PT who were making psych at the time. If nothing else, their place in modern prog is that they were the bridge that got people interested in alternative prog. I also think they bring a unique punk edge to the table. Even The Mars Volta, despite emerging from the ashes of a huge post-hardcore band, gave that up when they got more progressive.
>>
>>63531202
>most people on this board share the same opinion on a single topic
Holy stupidity
>>
>>63531202
oh wow, what did you do, catalog the interests of every person who posts on /mu/?

Also, why would anyone care. Most of the people on this board are hipsters. The fact that Tool (let alone MJK) has such a huge following is reason enough for most people on here to hate them.
>>
>>63531562
Yes, especially when you reduce the topic is as simple as Tool are good vs. Tool are bad.

>>63531610
>oh wow, what did you do, catalog the interests of every person who posts on /mu/?
>Also, why would anyone care. Most of the people on this board are hipsters
Lol
>>
>>63531650
^reduce the topic to be as simple as
>>
>>63526986
Tool is pretty good. Not cringe at all
>>
>>63526845

The Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd of our time.

Sadly the rest of the world has ear cancer.
>>
File: avril-lavigne-1024.jpg (273 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
avril-lavigne-1024.jpg
273 KB, 1024x768
>>63531546
Well in that case, I feel that only supports that opinion. Tool may be the draft for these modern prog bands but actual modern prog bands are the finished and improved product.

And a punk influence? I don't see it. The guitar tone is a little dark, yes, but the music is too slow-paced to really be influenced by punk in any major way. Bands like maudlin and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum are far more influenced by punk than Tool.
>>
Love them but would never dare admit it in a japanese image board for fear of being uncool by Death Grips fanbois.

Tool is mathematically correct and I like that they don't give a fuck about fans, videos, interviews, Spotify, etc...

They should be considered 4 of the most talented musicians of all time. Yeah fuck you Kanyefags.
>>
File: bowie.jpg (160 KB, 980x929) Image search: [Google]
bowie.jpg
160 KB, 980x929
"No, rock isn't dead at all. Radio, perhaps. I believe what Tool is doing is some of the most creative art that we've seen in some 20 years..."

-David Bowie, 2004 NME interview.
>>
>>63531774
I don't mean a musical punk influence, just the attitude. Especially their earlier stuff like Opiate.

To be honest, overall I rate PT and Mars Volta way above Tool myself, but I have been getting into them a lot more recently. I think they sound unique enough to have a place in modern prog. There's something to be said for a band having their own style, and it becomes very obvious that Tool do when you see other bands try to imitate it (like Soen or Rishloo).
>>
File: avril-lavigne-net-worth1.jpg (36 KB, 366x650) Image search: [Google]
avril-lavigne-net-worth1.jpg
36 KB, 366x650
>>63531915
Ah. Well wasn't a "punk" attitude commonplace for mainstream 90s rock bands? Marilyn Manson, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, RATM, Nirvana, even other prog bands like DT had that image at times. I hardly see that as a large differentiation for them.

While it's true that some band's style heavily depends on Tool, I don't think this is indicative of them having a distinct style. Mariah Carey certainly is influential but I wouldn't really call her an original. At best, all that influence says it that it's popular and is being imitated. That doesn't mean a band's style is necessarily their own.
>>
>>63532229
That's kind of my point, though. They mixed that punk attitude and alternative sound with prog in a way that few bands have done. I definitely don't think DT had that image at all, and they weren't as aggressive as early Tool.

I guess if you don't think they're original or distinct I'd ask who you think they took from. King Crimson and Led Zeppelin are obvious influences, but I don't see them as a copy of either. If it's not Tool's sound those bands are imitating, whose is it?
>>
I love how they make math scary. I'm sick of feeling comfortable with numbers.
>>
File: avril-lavigne (1).jpg (62 KB, 620x351) Image search: [Google]
avril-lavigne (1).jpg
62 KB, 620x351
>>63532426
It's less any select band and more 70s prog in general. It's rare to find a band that actually sounds completely the same. Perhaps I need to clarify my stance, my issue with Tool is not that their style borrows from 70s prog and 90s alt. My issue is that it's done in such a way that doesn't really add anything to either style, it's a utterly bland combination that doesn't really give off any sign of originality or distinction even though it technically is "original."

Though I feel if that they were a copy of any band, Led Zeppelin and King Crimson are good candidates. Others would probably be Rush, Queensrÿche, and to an extent, Uriah Heep.
>>
>>63526845
Only tools like them..................... Damn..........
>>
>>63526845
Good band, shit fans. /thread even Maynard knows it.
>>
>>63532229
>mu diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.