[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you rank these albums?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
How would you rank these albums?
>>
DJ Shadow > Avalanches > Dilla > Burial
>>
>>63516111
since I left you>endtroducing>donuts>burial
>>
>>63516111
Since I Left You > Donuts > Untrue > Endtroducing
>>
donuts > SILY > untrue > endtrosnoozing
>>
>>63516111
Since I left you > don't know other albums
>>
>>63516565
At least listen to Endtroducing
>>
>>63516111
Endtroducing > Untrue > SILY > Donuts
>>
donuts (if only because of the backstory) > endtroducing > burial > sily
>>
plenty of shit taste ITT

Endtroducing > Donuts > SILY > Untrue
>>
looking at the posts in this thread I've come to the conclusion that Donuts is the most overrated album ever. if it was released on bandcamp by a nobody, no one would give a shit about it.
>>
>>63516111
donuts>dj shadow>burial>since i left you
>>
>>63517040
this
>>
>>63517060
>telling other people what they like.
plen confirmed
>>
>>63517111
liking Donuts is pretty much the most pleb shit you can do so jokes on you mister
>>
Damn ok
SILY>Untrue>Endtroducing>Donuts
>>
>>63517124
rationalize this comment.
>>
>>63517129
this
>>
>>63517132
Donuts is entry level instrumental hip hop with absolutely no structure and cheap sounds. The reason why it's so revered is entirely because of the context surrounding the album, I've never ever seen a review of it where they actually talk about the music on the album.
>>
>>63517060
>>63517124
>>63517179
I've always felt like it is the OG shitty soundcloud album
I love sample-based music but have never understood why people enjoy it.
>>
1. Since I Left You
2. Endtroducing
3. Donuts
4. Untrue

Really the first 3 could reasonably be interchanged any way, they're all pretty much masterpieces in terms of sampling and plunderphonics. There's a huge gap between those and Burial, whose songs are all built around the EXACT SAME FUCKING DRUM SAMPLE
>>
>>63517270
>There's a huge gap between those and Burial, whose songs are all built around the EXACT SAME FUCKING DRUM SAMPLE

and thats why you will remain a pleb
>>
endtroducing > burial > since I left you >>>> donuts
>>
>>63516111
dilla>shadow>burial>avalanches
>>
>>63516111
Why did you use burial? The other 3 are hip hop. At least the other threads have albums in similar genres
>>
>>63516111
Endtroducing > Untrue > Since I Left You > Donuts
>>
>>63517366
>>63517359

retards

Burial is just night bus core for sad, misunderstood white people. The other three have had strong cultural impact and are seen as achievements in the genre.
>>
>>63517359
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DKdvJsC3s8
same bass as well
>>63517422
meme
>>
>>63516565
>doesn't know DJ Shadow or J Dilla
>>
>>63517422
I don't see why Endtroducing... is, Kid Koala did it first the same year and even DJ Krush did it prior and he released on the very same label.
>>
Untrue > Endtroducing > Donuts > SILY
>>
>>63517422
Are we talking about quality or cultural impact?
>>
>>63517237
>>63517060
I disagree but I much prefer Dilla's shit with Slum Village and his productions for other artists. Fall in Love, The Light, Runnin', Stakes is High, some incredible stuff. His Four Tet remix is awesome too.
>>
SILY > Untrue > Endtroducing > Ddnuts
>>
>>63517456
I'm not saying it's deserved, I'm just saying it's insane to even equate Untrue to those other 3. It'd be like a rock chart showing Emergency & I, The Soft Bulletin, The Moon and Antarctica, and then tacking on Transatlanticism
>>
reminder that endtroducing is proto real rap youtube comments and proto hopsin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2VG53RIJ50
>>
>>63517478
Both. In either category, Burial shows a clear gap below the other three.
>>
>>63517519
Oh I know what you're saying and agree on that part, just an off thought
>>
>>63516111
Endtroducing is objectively first
>>
Those are my 4 favorite albums of all time OP. I don't know how to rank them.
>>
File: 1385406925632.jpg (26 KB, 324x405) Image search: [Google]
1385406925632.jpg
26 KB, 324x405
>>63517129
correct
>>
>>63516111
endtroducing > untrue > donuts > since i left you
>>
>>63517422
>The other three have had strong cultural impact
daily reminder you share a board with these kinda idiots who can't discuss music
>>
>>63517179
>no structure
>cheap sounds

in your opinion f a m. i personally think the structure and sound of it is beautiful, i think it was incredibly influential in terms of the way it sounds (the heavy pumping compression was unlike anything i heard from before/similar time) the wide range of sample material. the whole LA beat scene is so influenced by this album. tons of bangers on there and how can you think the context of an album is irrelevant. when you think of death/coming to terms with his death as a running theme of the album it makes for a beautiful listen.

but yeh youre really not the expert you think you are.
>>
>>63517852
Well the other 3 have strong variation, wherein each style and approach is still executed perfectly.

>Since I Left You
The whole tropical motif drifts into hip hop territory without ever feeling forced, and the samples are vast without coming across as randomly strewn together

>Donuts
I'll admit his death is a large factor in why this album is so revolutionary, but sonically it nails that whole scattered approach that comes when you're trying to cram in as much as you can right before you die. And again, the samples are classic tier. How could you not love "what is the magic"

>Endtroducing
Those drum samples alone, my god. The piano, the vocals, the combination of all these crazy styles and forcing them through a hip hop lens, it's pretty incredible. Not to mention it's entirely sample-based, which you probably couldn't pick up on without knowing it ahead of time

>Untrue
Captures one mood perfectly, but rides that ONE mood for the entirety of the album. It has no momentum and just rides the same wave, albeit it's a good wave to ride. But when you compare it to the previous three vibrant and wide-scoped albums, it's hard to make the case for this monochromatic approach to electronic/hip hop
>>
>people putting Donuts over SILY or Entroducing

wew
>>
>>63517931
thank you
>>
Untrue > Entroducing > Since I Left You > Donuts
>>
Sily
Donuts
End
Untrue

But whatever.
>>
>>63516111
Donuts>Endtroducing=Untrue>Silly
>>
Donuts > Endtroducing > Since I Left You > Untrue

All great albums. Any ranking of them would be acceptable.
>>
>>63518612
something i very rarely think or say on /mu/ but i like your attitude!
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>63517060
i love donuts. honestly its that popular b/c its the last project before he died. when u think about it its actually kind of beautiful, he had to choose 30 emotions he wanted to show the world before he was gone. only one can win.

>overrated
ya, probably
>if it was released on bandcamp by a nobody, no one would give a shit about it
thats not true
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.