[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DEFEND YOUR TASTE Can you defend your music taste without needing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6
File: Hot-Girls-Drinking1.jpg (86 KB, 555x576) Image search: [Google]
Hot-Girls-Drinking1.jpg
86 KB, 555x576
DEFEND YOUR TASTE

Can you defend your music taste without needing to shit on others taste or use irrelevant buzzwords like racism, tryhard, hipster or avant-teen?
>>
>>63515879
Yes.
>>
>>63515879
yeah because I don't listen to terrible music
>>
Punk

It's fun, and I like having fun.
>>
>>63515932
>fun
cool buzzword. you could say that about anything
>>
I enjoy beautiful music, but there is a part of me that finds beauty in a chemical plant explosion.
>>
Yes

just try me
>>
Sure, I like how my music sounds.
>>
yeah i like it
>>
>>63515879
>wasting money on grey goose

Plebs neither know music nor drinks
>>
It sounds good.
>>
I like my music.
What other people think of it doesn't matter.
There.
>>
When I find a record I like, I buy it and tell others about it because they might enjoy it too. That's the closest I get to "defending my taste", I think.

Taste is a means or a byproduct, not an end in itself.

> Can you defend your music taste without needing to shit on others taste or use irrelevant buzzwords like racism, tryhard, hipster or avant-teen?
How I wish people would do that! Not just for music, but for pretty much everything.
>>
>>63515995
Only person itt who even tried.
>>
Well I like Bach... and 20th century composers.
>>
nigga like what taste
fuckin ayy lmao dude
>>
I like what I like, I can't describe why I like it. It's beyond my shitty English ability.
>>
why should anyone defend what they listen to

friggin kids
>>
>>63515879
No I can't, but I'd certainly would like to know who these two semen demons are in the pic, even though it has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand, and is just posted to get people's attention. (I responded, so it worked)
>>
try to rape me or kill me I dare you
>>
>>63515959
You must be fun at parties
>>
>>63515879
I like catchy things. The deeper a melody, arrangement, phrase, whatever can drill into my brain, the more enjoyment I get from it.
>>
Yea: I like music I can relate to, sing along to, or music that makes me think.
>>
>slut shows her tits to everyone
>some dude gets away with grabbing her buds
>save the pic

OMG SWAT TEAM YOU BRUTE PEDO ETC
>>
It's easier to just not give a shit.
>>
>>63518637
oh yeah? well you must be retarded to think i attend 'parties'
>>
>>63515932
Classic punk's high energy and divergence from classical rock tropes makes it an interesting listen almost always.
>>
i don't have to defend anything
>>
all this shit heres the shit i like and it sounds good to my earholes if you dont like it you can walk home
>>
>>63518865
literally what are you talking about
>>
File: 6OkvrU6.jpg (1024 KB, 4288x1797) Image search: [Google]
6OkvrU6.jpg
1024 KB, 4288x1797
Yeah, I love rock and metal because they're the most fun to sing and play on guitar. I like hip hop because I listened to it more than any other genre from my earliest memories into high school. It has a vibe unlike any other music and is great for chillin.
>>
>>63518943
Of course you don't, you just called fun a buzzword.
>>
>>63518943
sorry for you fatty body and ugly face, bro
>>
>>63518943
You are a disgusting fat body private Pyle
>>
>>63515959
>fun is a buzzword

Go back to v
>>
>>63515879
No, I don't need to defend my taste
>>
>>63515879
damn those are some good tits
>>
Trance. Because it's much closer to classical music than the other shit.
>>
File: 1456445368377.jpg (22 KB, 651x575) Image search: [Google]
1456445368377.jpg
22 KB, 651x575
>>63520833
Jesus christ
>>
>>63520878
Not even baiting
>>
yeah i like 1st and 2nd wave emo and indie/shoegaze

it's nice sometimes uplifting sometimes empathizing music that's fit for when you're feeling down, just drudging through the day, or uplifting enough to stay happy when you're hap- ha.
Ha.
Ha....

;___;
>>
>>63521428
Too bad you're ridiculously wrong and know nothing about music or how it works.
>>
>>63521605
Too bad it's the other way around
>>
>>63520833
HOW? classical music is absurdly complex while trance is one of the simplest forms of music there is.
>>
>>63521633
too bad ur butt is small
>>
>>63521633
Okay anon, explain to me how trance is most like classical.
>>
>>63521657
so complex you can follow a rulebook for it and every single note and chord within a piece?
>>
>>63521685
>thinking this is how classical music works
ok anon...
>>
>>63521685
That's how all music works you insufferable retard.
>>
>>63521767
>>63521769
I studied music theory at a college level for 6 years.

Classical music up till the 20th century was just formulas and rules.
Since then, which you could hardly call classical, it's been experimentation and actual creation.

Music was like math back then, it's actually art now.

Classical is shit.
>>
>>63521800
dubs confirm
>>
>>63521800
>I studied music theory at a college level for 6 years.
>Music was like math back then, it's actually art now.
>Classical is shit.

You're so full of shit that it's leaking through your pupils.
>>
>>63521822
do u want to see my useless music degree?
I literally had to analyze these pieces of shit for years. it's emotionless trash.
>>
>>63521849
Are you the same retard who was saying that trance is modern classical music? I don't care what other shitty opinions you have, I want you to explain that.
>>
>>63521869
no i don't listen to trance
he's someone else.

i just think classical is shit.
>>
>>63515879
Why in the christ would I need to defend my taste?

I enjoy what I want to fuckin' enjoy. I don't need no buzzwords.
>>
>>63521911
Classical isn't shit and you don't have a Masters degree in composing music if that's your opinion.
>>
>>63521950
i have 6 years (2 in AP classes in HS, 4 in university) for music theory.

isn't a masters like 10 years or some shit
idk i just did it cos my mama told me to but I still got a flawless GPA

classical is trash for insecure youtubers who think it's invincible to criticism.
>>
Yes I can my music taste includes both consumer rated favorites as well as critic choices and includes my own deep cuts which have been aided by the knowledge of music and what makes music good.
>>
>>63521984
>6 music classes is a masters in music
>he thinks a masters degree takes 10 fucking years

Holy shit anon just give up the act.
>>
File: pls.jpg (268 KB, 833x516) Image search: [Google]
pls.jpg
268 KB, 833x516
>>63522020
idk I just took 4 years in college 2 in highschool.

I can show you my old homework if you don't believe me little shit.
>>
>>63522117
Anon you don't have a degree in composing music, you took 6 fucking classes and think you're above classical music now. You're a fucking hack.
>>
>>63522153
listen here kid i could swamp you let me find my fucking fugues
>>
>>63522173
You're opinions already have revealed the truth. you don't know shit.
>>
>>63522173
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Obk8ZbelGu

beat my 5/8 kid
better than your pubert anyday
>>
>>63521800
i feel like only people who went to music school can agree with you, and I am one of those
>>
>>63522020
he said 6 years
>2 years in APs, 4 years in high school
>>
>>63521800
I dont know much about music but I know a bit about literature. Classical literature had strict rules and narratives as well. It dried out creativity so you might have a point there. I mean beethoven was controversial for making classical a bit more interesting and not following all rules. No matter if you are wrong or right this post made me feel good. I dont like classical music and always felt guilty for being such a pleb now I have justification
>>
>>63522664
I was of course exaggerating to a degree and a lot of what creativity did happen just became new rules to other people (though it was new for them), it's still yeah about the same.

Some like Beethoven were good for that, and his name deserves to be big for it.
Other big names like Mozart weren't awful, but he had barely any creativity, he just followed the rules really well and I guess you could see him as a popstar.
>>
>>63521605
>>63521657
>>63521667

Two reasons.
One, it evokes the same quality of emotion and thought as classical music.
Two, melodic trance uses a variety of instruments in harmony just like classical, except these instruments are played on the computer and are modern or altered to sound more futuristic and electronic.
Melodic trance and classical music structures are very similar. They both start with a foundation of percussion or bass instruments and eventually reach the climax played by high pitched instruments, and lastly the instruments fade out one by one. Both genres evoke intense emotion and thought in the listener and effectively induce a form of trance of him. Melodic trance and classical music are transcendental and divine. for sound is a universal language, and discriminates against none. It is said that the angels constantly sing heavenly music in the spiritual realms. On earth this music is called melodic trance.
>>
>>63521911
>>63521950

Yeah, idk how anyone can actually that. It's one of those things that you gain a huge appreciation for if you're a musician.
>>
>>63521800
>>63522496
1st off
>classical music in the 20th century isnt classical music.

wrong and also your citing trance as comparable to the works of Schubert, Mozart, Mahler, Beethoven etc. etc. explain why any pieces of music stand out if its all rules and maths, theres obviously ways to use restrictions, formulas and parameters creatively which is why people give a shit about mozart after all this time and you havent amounted to shit despite knowing all the maths and formulas. i too did a music degree at music college and in a lot of music theres conventions etc. but someone truly creative just uses these to support there creativity rather than stifle it.

also the fact your citing fucking trance as better makes this all the more hilarious.
>>
>>63523596
fuck i gotta save this as a copy pasta and try and force this as a meme. easily one of the most pretentious and flat out stupid things ive ever read.
>>
>>63523903
it's all yours my friend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqoZTsSxqLQ
>>
>>63519024
They just replaced those tropes with shittier ones desu
>>
>>63523596
The emotion music invokes doesn't make it musically similar :/

I guess you're also saying trance is like classical music because the structure isn't ABABCD like a lot of pop/rock and flows a lot more with reoccurring melodies and buildups. Like it's orchestrated? A lot of music does that though...
>>
>>63523799
you're quoting two different people as the same person dumbass.

You learn the rules to break them, it's why I took the classes that long while disagreeing with all them.
>>
>>63522248

https://youtu.be/UgTOFp-xXaY?t=1m19s

You really think this is shit?
>>
Prog Rock

It just clicked with me, I can see why lots of people don't like it but I do so who cares
>>
>>63524735
i was obv getting less and less serious as the guy kept responding
I don't mind classical that much but I also can't empathize with people from hundreds of years ago so the music doesn't connect to me in the same way.
>>
>>63524679
>implying i wasnt addressing two people of the same stupid opinion.

thats strictly your opinion family, would love to hear your work thats more creative and better than schubert coz your a rebel who breaks all the rules
>>
File: 1444096811791.jpg (61 KB, 438x438) Image search: [Google]
1444096811791.jpg
61 KB, 438x438
>>63520397
I read this in R Lee's voice
>>
>>63524802
music is subjective, I could link you the most amazing music ever that I wrote and you'd still call it shit because your opinion of me as a creator is stained.
But no you said
"also the fact your citing fucking trance as better"

The trance guy made like 2-3 posts, then me lmao
>>
>>63515879
yes hello is this the slutty white women thread
>>
>>63524913
i agree its subjective but i dont know what allusions of grandeur your suffering from but i doubt your music is anywhere near as well conceived or constructed as someone like schuberts. theres a reason its still higly revered and lasted the test of time. i feel your very much in the minority thinking its boring formulaic maths. consensus is as close to objectivity as music can come.
>>
>>63525136
it's just an example.
I'm not saying i have, but let's say I wrote the most amazing piece in the world, opinions of people deeply influence the way you can respect things they create.
Art is a very personal thing and if you don't respect the artist it's hard to respect the art.
Just an example.
Again I was mostly just joking and it comes across pretty obviously as the conversation continued.
I'm just not a big fan of classical and had a couple loud opinions to toss out.

But the problem also is like I said I don't empathize with it much
>>
>>63524913
>music is subjective

Kinda? It's still a huge part of what makes music appealing. Like, you can be the kind of person who likes head banging and prefer metal / rock to classical music. But as your exposure increases, some of the rock music you listen to makes a lot of the other stuff you started with seem bland in comparison.

You can say the same about classical. Mozat and Salieri are kind of bland/formulaic in comparison to Molique after exposure to lots of different composers.

You can say you prefer something that is subjective to your taste, but you can't exactly call an entire genre shit. Once you start calling things "good" or "bad", you kind of have to take subjectivity out of the equation and weigh things objectively. It's the only way you can actually make a valid comparison.

I can like John Cage's 4'33. He literally composed silence. I'm not wrong I guess for liking it, but there is still a lot of stuff out there that a lot better crafted.

Also, I like girly alt metal bands /mu/ would hate. They're kind of bad in a lot of ways, but drop tuned guitars and weird riffs sound nice to me. I like it better because I can relate to it more from my high school days and it still sounds catchy. But it's tooootally not on the same level as some classical stuff. My preferences doesn't make classical music shit because opinions are horrible for comparison purposes.
>>
>>63525347
you can't just take a phrase out of context and use it in your own assumed context.
>>
>>63515879
Of course. I've actually put a modicum of thought into considering what makes my tastes the way they are. Most of the reasons are too degenerate to mention, but they are reasons nevertheless, no?
>>
>>63525396
You said you thought classical music was shit.

Then you said you don't mind classical music that much but also can't empathize with people from hundreds of years ago so the music doesn't connect to me in the same way.

>music is subjective, I could link you the most amazing music ever that I wrote and you'd still call it shit because your opinion of me as a creator is stained.

Eh. I was trying to circle back to another point. Kinda out of context, but still leading towards what I was trying to figure out initially.

I don't think my opinion would be stained actually. If you wrote the most amazing music ever, I would compare it as an improvement to the other fugue.
>>
I like music that isn't entirely poppy that sounds catchy, and I like music that effectively conveys emotion. Therefore I like shoegaze, all waves of post rock, math rock, slowcore, and indie rock, because they all do that for me on different levels.
>>
>>63515879
I like pretty atmospheric minor chord progressions and subtle melodies. Some French black metal bands do this very well.

I also like CHVRCHES because the singer girl rolls around in the water in that one music video.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.