[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best music scene in the US? I hear Austin is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 3
File: Nov9.14-1470.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
Nov9.14-1470.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
What's the best music scene in the US? I hear Austin is the best but I'd like some conflicting opinions
>>
>>63513023
Definitely not Panama City
>>
Any major city outside of the Midwest has a decent music scene.

Austin is garbage though. Only gets talked about because of SXSW. Living there is a goddamn nightmare
>>
>>63513023
I like LA more cause its isn't in texass.
>>
>>63513023
I've lived in Austin. It's a great one because of it's festivals SXSW and ACL. Very pro indie and "on the rise" musicians. Tons of Indie rock though, too much. Houston is a really cool one too, it's like underground metal/noise and punk. Basically the polar opposite of Austin.
>>
>>63513042
Can you elaborate? Considering going to UT Austin
>>
>>63513047
200 people move from LA to Austin every day. Austin is the new LA
>>
Maybe at one point NYC, and Seattle.
>>
>>63513064
Yeah well get ready for 100 degree whether and hardcore leftist hippies who will argue about anything with you. Still enjoyed it though.
>>
>>63513066
Seattle sucks for the most part. A lot of bands in scene are just lame generic garage/indie rock ripoffs
>>
>>63513023
well tell me what bands because it seems kinda dead to me

sxsw was fucking sick though in general

bad points and I mean super fucking bad everything everything cancelled the free flamingo cantina show literally right before they went on or at least thats when we were notified. Then I tried to see them open for Charli xcx but they already started playing while I was in line so at very best I would've only caught half their set and cover was $30

and I apparently ruined the Burnt Palms show by being a creep

other than that it was fucking awesome but offhand I'm at a loss to think of any local bands that put out something I loved this year. Carrie Rodriguez is probably my favorite I suppose. Maybe I'm forgetting someone and the year's still early. My favorite last year was Coma In Algiers and if they release another one thats even better hold onto your butts.
https://comainalgiers.bandcamp.com/track/95
>>
>>63513096
Seattle's mostly good for metal.
>>
>>63513073
lol already used to that, im living abroad in jerusalem at the moment
>>
>>63513064
Unless you like super hipster central, some of the worst traffic you've ever seen, not being able to get anywhere during festivals, I wouldn't suggest moving there. Has some good BBQ though
>>
>>63513096
Seattle is Diet Portland so that makes sense.
>>
>>63513140
I think Tacoma is more like Portland. Lots of dirty hipsters hanging around coffee shops there.
>>
>>63513073
as for nightmare stuff most people would probably refer to the traffic

I'm encouraged by the current city council especially for revoking privileges like Short Term Rentals

I'll find out how much I like the court system next month when I go to trial for pot possession on 4/20 how perfect is that. So thats another good thing, the cops practice cite and release for weed which means they dont arrest you unless its intent to distribute but there's still court and maybe even jail I dunno whats gonna happen but I think 4/20s a good sign
>>
>>63513140
I still have dreams about moving to Federal Way and working for Xerox

Is that completely stupid?
>>
NYC by far

nothing else comes close
>>
>>63513023
>What's the best music scene in the US?
oh btw its fuckin philly
>>
>>63513066
>at one point
what do you mean by this?

We had Death Grips play here 3 times last summer, and Afropunk festival.
>>
>>63513186
NYC wrecks Philly t b h
>>
>>63513200
I wasn't sure. All I know is there have been a lot of big artists from NYC.
>>
>>63513200
seattle 90-95 and nyc 75-80

I assume
>>
>>63513211
2015 list please

Hop Along
Unrest
Dead fucking Milkmen are back baby
Title Fights actually between philly and nyc
I dunno I actually havent thought about it in awhile but we had tons of threads last year
>>
>>63513176
Sounds like the life. Would you work in HR or IT or what?
>>
>>63513248
shit menial something I assume in a "phone bank" actually

seattle's too expensive for me etc. so that seems like the next best place to literally live then still of course have whatever "life" I can make for myself in seattle
>>
>>63513232
*https://palmnewyork.bandcamp.com/album/trading-basics

seriously man philly's gonna wreck yer shit
>>
File: memphis.jpg (3 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
memphis.jpg
3 MB, 3072x2304
Memphis
>>
>>63513298
*and I just noticed the ironic url

I guess they used to live in new york
>>
>>63513232
Not the guy you quoted and I know Philly is great but I'm NYC native and it's still really good.
Attended all these last year:

Death Grips x3
Panda Bear x3 (3 nights in a row)
Mac DeMarco
Deafheaven
Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Also, seeing Radiohead twice in July and Deerhunter in April.
>>
>>63513314
yeah but thats not a music scene at least the way I've ever defined it is by local bands

so then yeah if you mean touring acts then sure austins great although we do seem to still miss a lot actually especially big ones like Sia didnt come here last year
>>
>>63513337
lolwut
>>
Austin's only saving grace is SXSW and that's dying. DIY scene is full of bands that tour constantly because it blows ass. Providence and Boston are where it's at.

>>63513047
LA has arguably the worst scene of any major city in North America.
>>
>>63513350
thats the way I've always understood it. The "music scene" is 100% defined by the local music. But I mean to each their own its just terminology. If we wanna judge by touring acts fine by me.
>>
>>63513183
NYC scene died a few years ago m8
>>
>>63513380
In that case, NYC is the best in the world. The list of local NYC bands doesn't end.
>>
>>63513314
major touring acts that playing fucking ampitheaters are not part of your scene dumbass
>>
>>63513384
what is "DIIV"
>>
>>63513353
>Austin's only saving grace is SXSW and that's dying.
no it was fuckign awesome this year what do you mean

If Everything Everything just did what they fuckign said they were going to then holy fucking christ but still it was fuckign awesome

and actually I always turn my nose up to acl but emi fucking sunshine

>DIY scene is full of bands
I'm listening. Sorry I keep trying Spray Paint but I really just like Rodeo Songs which is a couple years old now.

and Widower's fucking cool but their new ep that just came out is a little underwhelming unfortunately. and She Sir was great last year dont get me wrong I'm just saying what have the last 12 months given us?
>>
>>63513353
>LA has arguably the worst scene of any major city in North America.

You have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>63513402
wtf interesting I didnt know that. Looks like there wont be much travel time for the lawyer of Sonic Youth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDYMytKVN7g

WHO IS KURT FELDMAN
>>
>>63513393
>The list of local NYC bands doesn't end.
good ones? that have released something this year? I'm listening.

still 2015 list I'd be interested I posted mine for philly
>>
Austin's local music scene is super saturated and for the most part the bands are garbage. A lot of cool acts come through here which is nice.

As far as living there, people bitch too much about the traffic. It's really not that bad compared to Seattle (where I'm from). The people are really fucking chill. Everyone's super friendly, they don't judge. There's tons of awesome food. My main gripe with austin is the downtown is small and honestly not that great. And there aren't any urban walkable neighborhoods. The city in general isn't very walkable.

Overall though I fucking love living here and it mostly has to do with the people. Also getting 85 degree days in February is pretty nice.
>>
>>63513402
a single shitty buzzband that signified the death of the brooklyn diy scene
>>
>>63513402
Bad music?
>>
>>63513395
This thread doesn't even need to exist then, NYC hands down. >>63513393
>>63513402
DIIV <3
>>
>>63513407
crowds in LA are awful. Nobody likes touring there because the scene consists of obnoxious burger brats who stand still and don't buy merch.
>>
>>63513428
nah senpai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKbqyuaXolg
>>
>>63513430
Again, NYC is a wasteland in 2016. All the spaces closed and most of the good bands either left or broke up.
>>
jeff fucking rosenstock
>>
>>63513441
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8k3qB61lhk

Are you sure nigga?
>>
>>63513438
I listened to them when oshin dropped and while there were a couple of good songs it was mostly really forgettable and bland. This new album didn't differ from that, it's mostly really forgettable.
>>
Chicago's historically been a strong city for music and it's still producing quality bands

maybe not the strongest at this moment, but definitely a consistently strong city for music
>>
>>63513462
austin is like fucking refugee camp for chicago i shit you not

so many people move here from there and say its because chicago's a nightmare

maybe its just a coincidence and I happen to be running into these people I dunno

as for chicago bands who from this year or last?
>>
>>63513462
>and it's still producing quality bands
>maybe not the strongest at this moment,
ok this apparent disconnect kinda threw me
>>
>>63513460
how did I forget about this
>>
>>63513023
Davis, CA
just kidding
please somebody kill me
>>
>>63513460
and again, a goddamn national touring, major label act is not part of your local scene

christ /mu/ knows jack shit about actual underground music
>>
>>63513462
(rip lord snow)
>>
>>63513492
>christ /mu/ knows jack shit about actual underground music
well dont throw us all under the bus
>>
>>63513492
Just because a band gets popular and tours they're not local or apart of the scene anymore? kek
>christ /mu/ knows jack shit about actual underground music
is this bait?
>>
Being Australian and looking at this thread....

must be cool
>>
>>63513492
Cult Records is not a major label.
>>
File: logo (002).png (35 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
logo (002).png
35 KB, 240x240
>>
>>63513523
no, a band that starts as a a major label cash cow is not a local band

Julian Casablancas is not and never was "obscure". The Strokes released their first goddamn record on a major label. He has and never had any involvement in any DIY scene.

Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>63513432
No I've been in mosh pits in LA. There are a lot of funny weird punks here who do silly dances and I respect them 4 tht. : ^ )
>>
>>63513551
Obscurity is not "scene".
>>
>>63513472
Can confirm. Chicago is a nightmare, moving to Austin next year
>>
>>63513556
rich assholes who have no involvement in anything and do not attend shows are not a local scene. DIY =/= obscure
>>
>>63513492
>imbligginating music can be both underground and known about by people on the internet
>>
I agree that local scene is 100% defined by geography I don't care if you're david fuckign bowie
>>
>>63513566
To be fair, senpai, Julian Casablancas attended the Mac DeMarco show I was at last August.

Also, Mac DeMarco. He's probably doesn't count for you even though he literally hosted a BBQ in Brooklyn for all his fans and is seen attending shows in NYC every day.
>>
>>63513232
Don't forget Alex G
>>
>>63513629
Mac's roots are in DIY scenes, he was touring basements and warehouses and shit at 19
>>
Phoenix had a good punk scene a while back
>>
>>63513645
ah I actually didnt realize that but was last year his weakest release? Thats actually all I've heard but it didnt seem very strong at all.

I'd be more inclined to mention Superheaven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhpEteREbtY

I thought something was up in philly all last year and then sure enough the new hop along reissue p4k review as I recall confirmed that it had blown up.
>>
>>63513657
gay kiss is tite
>>
We even have Dean Blunt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsru89lKN18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3uluUzia_s
>>
>>63513673
*and I've actually heard DSU

I dunno maybe he's not for me
>>
>>63513677
I was thinking more AJJ but a'ight
>>
>>63513042
SXSW isn't music scene, it's a major festival.

God, why can't you faggots understand the concepts of obscurity?
>>
>>63513737
>God, why can't you faggots understand the concepts of obscurity?
or I was thinking just geographical origin and usually as a consequence "frequency"

although some bands have seemed to play here so much i thought they were actually local like many years ago i used to think sleepytime gorilla museum was local but maybe I just coincidentally kept noticing them.

and of course the opposite like local bands who actually seem to play on the other side of the world more than they do their home town like when I lived in dallas i swear Absu played europe all the time and never played dallas. After almost 20 years of listening to them hopefully i finally get to see them next week for my first time actually

but probably not of course I wont get off work who am I kidding
>>
>>63513551
Again, Cult Records is not a major label. Julian always had daddies money but he started out DIY in New York. Casablancas always was a classic NYC native, his fame doesn't remove him from the scene.

On top of that, he played a free show in Brooklyn last summer.

>>63513737
Just kill yourself already faggot.
>>
>>63513314
>radiohead twice
How did you manage getting tickets? I tried for the second date and it held me on line for 2 hours only to be brought to a page that told me it was sold out.
>>
>>63513864
You need to use the Ticketmaster app or you'll get fucked, I learned that the hard way with At the Drive-In.

Also the reason I posted that was because I didn't read the OP post. I came here from that reply in the archive, thought he guy was listing past shows.
>>
>>63513064
austin is not that bad to live in. i've lived in most of my life and it's mostly retards who haven't lived anywhere but buttfuck no where that complain.

the leftist part is true though, but who goes around talking about politics. lefties can be fun
>>
I fucking love the new Emo's and completely despised the old Emo's by the time it closed. I mean I used to love it don't get me wrong but it was just a steady decline all the way until the bitter end. "Don't heckle the bands" sign was fucking embarrassing.

Abbath tonight
>>
>>63513908
>At the Drive-In.
speaking of local scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW5aoPqHTIQ

pretty interesting that el paso got something going there for awhile
>>
>>63513023
NYC.

>>63513200
I was at the Afropunk show. They were amazing.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.