[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is rock dead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (186 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
186 KB, 1920x1080
am I the only one who misses the rockstar era of music? by this I mean like where rock artists had a massive influence on pop culture, were household names, were famous even to people who weren't into music. nowadays even semi-big rock names like Josh Homme and Dave Grohl are basically unknown outside music fans. I think the last big name we had was Marilyn Manson or Kurt Cobain, and I'm not even baiting, I'm serious. It's kind of sad rock is dead imo, I love the whole rockstar mentality and influence on Gen Y and X.
>>
bowie dude

meme star
>>
cobain might still be alive if he hadn't been made out to be a 'rock star' by the media, something he never wanted
i'm glad its dead, that's too much social pressure to put on someone
>>
File: wtf am I listening to.jpg (126 KB, 640x631) Image search: [Google]
wtf am I listening to.jpg
126 KB, 640x631
>>
>>63511883
>something he never wanted
pffffffhahahahaha
>>
nobodies doing their own thing anymore, it used to be the thing to conform to
>>
>>63511886
Is it good?
>>
Nah, I think the rockstar thing is pretty stupid. And I think it's even worse now that hip hop is the big thing. People saying stupid shit and acting out like children shouldn't be something people like.
>>
>>63511991
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD9YrcEIj7M

its ok but I wish there was way more country which would make it way more fucked up. Its only like that on one or two songs.
>>
>>63511865
Bowie wasn't that rockstar-y tho
>>
>>63512039
fuck, it's performance art, respect kanye
>>
>>63512066
>Bowie wasn't that rockstar-y tho
Maybe not towards the end of his career but from close to the start and towards the middle of his career he was like the poster child for a rockstar.
>>
>>63512066
he is now
>>
>>63511857
>why is rock dead

Whiny indie faggots killed it.
>>
>>63512136
/mu/ killed rock
>>
>>63511857
Marilyn Manson was never a rockstar. He's just a one hit wonder tranny. Rock's going to make a comeback. We live in a time where the radio and popular music is horrible and the underground is getting pissed. That's always the signal that something big is about to happen in music.
>>
>>63512203
Who says it'll be rock though?
>>
>>63512203
I doubt it, mostly because I think band-oriented music has been replaced in the mainstream by one person acts with DAWs that produce a greater variety of sounds at a lower cost.
>>
I think we're just looking at a possible imminent fusion

tpab and paak are very "chamber music" oriented
>>
>>63512186
>/mu/
no, it was p4k.
>>
>>63512203
>one hit wonder
literally which song

also yeah. he was a rockstar. parents hated him, kids looked up to him, adults listened to his music, he pushed drugs and sold sex appeal. That's a rockstar, dude. It's seldom about the music. Like KISS, for example
>>
>>63511857
FRED DURST IS THE LAST ROCKSTAR
>>
Nicklebag is going on strong
>>
>>63512186
Again mu/ ? Lemmy, Bowie, ELP guy and now Rock And Roll. You killed rock mu/, you bastards.
>>
>>63511857
Nirvana was not so popular when cobain was alive
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 625x626
>>63512364
>>
>>63512245
>band-oriented music has been replaced in the mainstream by one person acts with DAWs

Can you give an example?
>>
>>63512432
but it is true...
>>
>>63512236
The last 50 years of great music, that's who.
>>
>>63511857
chris martin or linkin park guy
>>
>>63512269
Hahahahahhaja
>>
sonic youth broke up
>>
>>63512245
I agree to an extent. That stuff is on the rise. Do I think it sounds better than rock? No. Sure anyone can buy a midi or synth and instantly create any sound in the world or sample anything, but is it good. 99% it's total crap.
>>
>>63512332
First off KISS had many great songs.
>Rock n roll all nite
>Detroit rock city
>Beth
>Strutter
>Shout it out loud

All I've ever heard anyone play from Marilyn Manson's catalog is SWEET DREAMS, and the beautiful people. Neither of which I would call good songs.
>>
>>63511857
It'll never be the 70's, 80's or even the 90's again bro, face it. Too many people in music today are so into their throwback genres that they forget to do anything innovative and new. Do you think the pioneers of rock were pining for swing and big band music to come back?
>>
>>63512548
You do know you can say that about any type of music, right?
Sure anyone can buy a guitar and some pedals and pick some strings, but is it good. 99% of it is total crap.
Sure anyone can buy a pen and paper and instantly create any verse about anything, but is it good. 99% it's total crap.
>>
>>63512598
angel with the scabbed wings
the fight song
cupid carries a gun
>>
rappers like drake and kanye are the rockstars of today. nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>63511857
It's not dead but it's just changing like everything. The actual sad part is that newer stuff are not even rebellious, they're just using shock effect and since now producers have bigger part to play they try to tap into pop market.

Also exactly what this guy has said (>>63512605
), if people are constantly whining about bringing past back we're not going to listen to any new thing.
>>
I would like to see some more innovative rock acts with some actual chops like Jane's Addiction had. A lot of the indie stuff just isn't stimulating. But then again it's 2016 and the traditional model of selling records in the music industry doesn't work like it used to so it so maybe people are losing hope for a future in making music.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.