[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /mu/ think of oneohtrix point never?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: opn_031015.jpg (448 KB, 800x527) Image search: [Google]
opn_031015.jpg
448 KB, 800x527
what does /mu/ think of oneohtrix point never?
>>
looks sad
>>
I don't get the hype desu. All of his work is "ok"
>>
Looks like Aesop Rock, but not as good as Aesop Rock
>>
Really good. Excellent album maker
>>
for me he's pretty hit and miss.
>>
>>63510803
Thats saying a lot because Aesop Rock is a 4/10 "artist"
>>
File: 49a19efc.jpg (81 KB, 648x648) Image search: [Google]
49a19efc.jpg
81 KB, 648x648
I personally think he's a genius and will be remembered as one of the most influential artists of the century.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (68 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
68 KB, 1280x720
>vaporwave was a mistake

garden of delete is pretty gd, although not a masterpiece
>>
oneohtrix point never? i hardly knew her!
>>
Replica is incredible.

The rest of his stuff is underwhelming
>>
>>63510926
he won't be remembered though

Replica and Tim Hecker's Virgins are my 2 favorite albums of all time though.
>>
i like him. in more than one ways, if u know what i mean.
>>
more like one-oh-trick pony
>>
>>63510954
lol
>>
>>63510940
That guy is just starting.
>>
>>63510926
>influential artists of the century.
What has he influenced.
I feel like vaporwave won't really help him be remembered cause it's not really that original considering there was already chopped and screwed and anything made with midi instruments is pretty much vaporwave.
>>
>>63511211
Returnal =/= garden of delete =/= eccojams
>different Trix desu senpai
>>
>>63511211
lmao
>>
>>63511211
nah
>>
File: daniel lopatin performance.jpg (44 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
daniel lopatin performance.jpg
44 KB, 600x448
>>
>>63512183
is this real lol?
>>
Queen dies in her sleep
Theres no time
King must not weep
>>
his chunes are great, i love his music.
>>
loved r + seven when it came out
heard he has a weird lookin penis (you didn't hear that from me)
>>
>yeah i love electronic music
>OPN, Arca, Jamie XX, the list could go on...
>>
I fucking love Eccojams Vol. 1
>>
File: FAS_Facefini.jpg (52 KB, 400x252) Image search: [Google]
FAS_Facefini.jpg
52 KB, 400x252
>>63510803
>liking rappers
>even worse, liking white rappers
>>
>>63512370
>rapper
do you even know who he is you faggot?
>>
>>63512370
Presenting: the average /mu/tant faggot: has a lot of hateful opinions, yet he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about
>>
>>63510784
R+7 and Replica are extremely innovative, they're more than just "okay". He invented an entire genre of music, albeit everything emulating his release Eccojams is essentially shit. But the guy is an innovator, he brings a lot of really interesting stuff to the table. R+7 is hands down one of my top 5 albums of all times.

Hell, even Returnal is amazing. I once listened to Ouroboros on repeat for 5 hours. It was enlightening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJMjpX4Ck2o

>>63511444
He hasn't influenced much yet because he's relatively unknown, but he and James Ferraro spurred an entire aesthetic alone with R+7, Eccojams and Farside Virtual. He will certainly be remembered as Brian Eno is, in the future. I guarantee it. There are very few who can do what he does, because he is an innovator and a creator. He's always done his own thing.

Hell even Garden of Delete is vastly different from his own body of work and anything else out there.
>>
>>63512370
lol Aesop Rock is one of the best rappers out there. He has the widest vocabulary word for word out of any rapper.

http://poly-graph.co/vocabulary.html

So, be ignorant all you want, but Aesop Rock has solidified his place in hip-hop. You can hate on him because he's white like a fucking idiot all you want. It just makes you look like a shit head to the rest of the hip-hop community. And pretty much any community in general...
>>
>>63512557
lol you think having a wide vocabulary makes you a good rapper
>>
I like him. His live shows are especially bonkers, his visuals are ridiculous and match the music in a really unsettling but amazing way. Crazy experience overall, definitely a show you won't forget. With that said I do enjoy his studio albums, G.O.D. is pretty good but it's better experienced live imo
>>
>>63512513
how do you listen to a 2 minute track on repeat for 2 hours?
>>
>>63511444
>anything made with midi instruments is pretty much vaporwave

is this bait or are you retarded
>>
>>63512513
I just don't find the guy all that innovative. I mean, a lot of his stuff just sounds like a mish-mash of Paul Lansky, Software, Claude Larson, David Borden, Mark Isham, Laurie Spiegal and a bunch of other Berlin School etc.

Also, like the other anon mentioned, the actual sound of Vaporwave had already been covered by the Chopped and Screwed scene and even very early Boards of Canada. Sure, the "aesthetic" wasn't there but merging entertainment with the philosophy of a hyperreality had been in popular culture for a while before Eccojams. Even the idea of disassociating sounds from their preconceived contexts had already been done by guys like Jon Oswald.
>>
>>63512591
No, not necessarily, but it's definitely a plus. It shows that you don't need to constantly rhyme the same words or reuse phrases. Aesop Rock is an astonishing rapper. I don't give a fuck what you say.
>>
>>63512626
I had a lot on my mind and it was extremely therapeutic. And it was 5 hours.

It was meditative.
>>
hack
>>
>tfw the cello kicks in for 5 seconds in Inside world
OPN is god tier.

>>63512973
> a lot of his stuff just sounds like a mish-mash of Paul Lansky, Software, Claude Larson, David Borden, Mark Isham, Laurie Spiegal and a bunch of other Berlin School etc.
this guy gets it. Still he'll be remembered as an innovator tho, because his influence in contemporary music is way bigger than for example Lansky, but that's basically because OPN is pretty well known and I've yet to meet someone who isn't that invested in music who has ever heard of Paul Lansky.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.