[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Campfire songs is the ____ Animal Collective album
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
Campfire songs is the ____ Animal Collective album
>>
>>63507737
most pointless
>>
warmest
>>
>>63507764
Everyone's taste in Animal Collective is apposed to mine.
>>
third
>>
>>63507843
Three comes after two, not three.
>>
Only
>>
Breezeblock session >>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2iafMQW3zE
>>
>>63507737
best.

yes. best.
>>
>>63507737
comfiest
>>
quietest?
>>
>>63507784
hands down.
>>
>>63508235
This is the one.
>>
>>63508235
pretty much
sung tongs a close second, especially visiting friends
>>
STRAWBERRY JAM - 10
HERE COMES THE INDIAN - 9.5
MERRIWEATHER POST PAVILION - 9.5
FEELS - 9.3
FALL BE KIND - 9.2
SPIRIT THEY'RE GONE - 8.4
PAINTING WITH - 7.5
SUNG TONGS - 7
WATER CURSES - 7
CENTIPEDE HZ - 6
CAMPFIRE SONGS - 6
DANSE MANATEE - 5.5
PROSPECT HUMMER - 5
HOLLINNDAGAIN - 4
>>
>>63509434
what shit taste, how do you actually put prospect hummer that low (and fall be kind that high)
>>
File: Cover.jpg (104 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
104 KB, 900x900
>>63507737
most forgettable
>>
File: 1449608962747.png (434 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1449608962747.png
434 KB, 1366x768
Sum up your love life in one song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxyhCm_vTMc
>>
only good
>>
>David, the doctor cannot save your dog
>>
gay
>>
>>63509767

Sorry, that belongs to Painting With
>>
>tfw falling asleep while listening to campfire songs then getting woken up by here comes the Indian
>>
>>63512335
no
>>
>>63507951
Nice trip name, clearly an underated song
>>
>>63512335
>it hasn't clicked for him yet

God you're fucking missing out. Painting With is a fantastic album...
>>
>>63512588

Maybe it will, true

I've listened to it twice. And listened to their other albums far more. At this point in time, for me, it is the most forgettable.
>>
>>63512608
thats pretty unfair to say then isn't it
>>
>>63512616

No. I'm listening to over 150 albums this year so far, so I don't have the time to hone in on just one album that someone on /mu/ says is better than what I think

If it's as good as you say it is, it'll reveal itself to me over time. Don't worry
>>
>>63512588
Have you listened to it more than like 3 times?
God the songs become boring and grating fast. The hocketing in Natural Selection kms
>>
>>63512648
hate to say it, but this is pretty true
and i love anco, i REALLY wanted painting with to be good
for the first week i kept defending it, but it really just isn't as good as anything else theyve done (except the single tracks, which were aight)

btw top 3 anco albums in no particular order are
STGSTV
Feels
Sung Tongs

If you disagree you are a pleb. A PLEB!
>>
>>63512648
I listen to it every day all the way through and love it more each time I listen.

The hocketing doesn't bother me, I hear it as one coherent melody rather than focusing on "oh that's avey oh that's panda" because that's the fucking point of hocketing. Yes it's two different voices, but I love the bouncy aspect it adds to the music. It's not grating on my nerves, at all. And the hocketing is really not on every song like everyone likes to think it is. It's only on like 4 or 5.

>>63512860
My top 3 have got to be
Campfire Songs
Spirit
Painting With

Yeah, I guess I'm a pleb. Oh well. Mark my words, people will start coming around to Painting With. It really is just as good as everything else they've released. It took people a while to accept Centipede Hz as more than just "busy noise" and it will be the same for Painting With.
>>
>>63513015
Nah, Centipede Hz is their second worst (bar a few songs). I remember back when MPP came out and it was immediately great
>>
>>63513041
Just because something is "immediately great" doesn't mean it's the greatest thing ever. I thought Painting With was immediately great and look where that's getting us?
>>
>>63513041
I think the problem here is that people are attaching their nostalgia and want for old Animal Collective to their new stuff, and they're not going to return to the Feels or HCTI era and it's time to accept that. They don't ever repeat a sound and they never will.

And I find it funny everyone hates Centipede Hz so much because it is the one album that completely combines every aspect of their musical career with stylings of STGSTV, MPP, SJ and even some Feels or HCTI. It is a progression of their sound and an amalgamation of everything they've made up to that point. I've always respected the album for that.

Songs like Mercury Man definitely sound like they have a sort of STGSTV type of vibe to them in some parts, you can definitely hear their older sounds peaking through the curtains of time on that album.

People just shit on it because "it's too busy". No it isn't lol every album they make is layered with tons of sound, and the fact that Centipede Hz was designed with a solid body holding many various melodies and counter-melodies surrounding it to represent sort of "centipede legs" was awesome to me.

Painting With is the same way, they were going for a certain concept and a lot of people just can't grasp it. But whatever. It's not "pretentious" nor is it "bullshit to defend a shitty album", it's the truth. The last two albums they've worked on they have had very specific ideas and concepts they wanted to focus on and if that doesn't jive with you, fine. But don't cheapen it by saying they're just being pretentious or that they're falling off or making shit music now.
>>
>>63513165
Well how about I just say that I prefer the older animal collective that they have for some reason made the conscious creative decision not to go back to

i like it more because its better
you pleb

Nah but seriously I don't think its a bad album really i just think it isn't as good as some of their older stuff. Some songs feel like they could easily be at home on a panda solo album
its just not the noise i was desperately hyped for (again, barring floridada and golden girl)
>>
File: o rly.jpg (10 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
o rly.jpg
10 KB, 320x180
>>63513196
They made the conscious decision not to go back to that sound because they've explored everything they wanted to explore. It's just the same as when they were making Feels, they didn't go back to making stuff like HCTI. Or when they made Danse, they didn't go back to making stuff like STGSTV. It's just not what they do. They like to explore different sounds and grow as a band, mature and progress. You can't do that if you're constantly trying to make the same shit to please one portion of your fan base. They make the music that suits them at the time. It's not like they make this stuff because "LAWL IT SELLS BETTER" or "Oh man we should make pop music to break into the mainstream!"

It's just what they want to go for at the current time. And that's just like, your opinion man. Honestly, Panda's latest solo album was pretty boring and repetitive. Don't get me wrong, I loved a lot of songs on PBMGR but it got stale fast. A lot of songs didn't transcend or go anywhere on that album. He does better with the band these days, Avey is more of the driving force behind their sound and it shows, because he certainly has some of the better songs on Painting With. Panda was great during the time of Person Pitch, his s/t and some of Tomboy, but PBMGR just sounded too copy paste and way too repetitive.

Just accept it man, they aren't here to please you as a fan. They're making the music they want to make and if you like it and relate to it, that's great. They aren't catering to a specific fan base though and they never have. It's not who they are. Join them on the ride, explore the sounds with 'em. If you don't like some of their stuff, cool. The only album I really don't ever find myself listening to is Hollindagain because I just really can't get into it. Forest Gospel and Pride and Fight are about the only songs I dig on that album. Everyone has their lows and highs in the discography and I guess yours are more recent years, but they aren't stopping any time soon.
>>
>>63513293
I agree re panda bear, i realise my post was ambiguous but I meant that comment as a criticism of the album.

but i feel you, and perhaps painting with just doesnt resonate with me right now, though i must say i was bitterly disappointed to find i wouldnt get the same enjoyment out of it as i did out of something like feels.

maybe ill come back to it in a few years
>>
>>63513196
And if you like their older stuff, they have released acoustic and folky style stuff within non album releases.

Keep EP
ODDSAC
Transverse Temporal Gyrus

Dig man, dig.
>>
>>63513324
You just have to realize, it isn't Feels. It isn't about that emotional point in life where you're experiencing loss of friends family and lovers. It isn't about the introverted emotions we all experience.

It's more a commentary on society as a whole. Read some interviews about the album, maybe it will give you some insight as to what they were going for and better help you appreciate the album. It wasn't just made because "lol this sounds cool lets be super pretentious about it". There are reasons they chose the sound they did and reasons they wrote the lyrics they did. Don't take it just at face value, Animal Collective is about so much more than that man.
>>
>>63513339
fair enough, but i never did any of that research for the other albums and i had a positive reaction to the songs. might it not just be the case that i don't like the album.
>>
>>63513355
Thats very possible. I understand you shouldn't have to do research but I feel the concepts of Dadaism and cubism are visually expressed through the sounds and stylings of painting with sonic palette and lyrics which in my opinion makes it that much more awesome. I really like the sound of everything kind of wildly being splattered on a canvas or falling into place like little Tetris blocks in a modern Picasso soundscape. But again that's just me.
>>
>>63513376
i like that description of it. i will give it another go with that in mind. thanks pleb
>>
worst DESU, not counting live albums or any other bullshit

it's an album for atmospheric music that has worse songs than the one off atmospheric tracks from other albums like visiting friends
>>
>>63513355
But again check out the releases I listed. More recent lesser known and may tickle your fancy.

Screens
Working
The entire Keep EP
Some of the songs from Transverse Temporal Gyrus

I think the reason they enjoy using a lot more electronics now is because it gives them wider variety in terms of psychedelic sounds rather than just being purely freak folk or psych folk with some guitars and effects pedals.
>>
>>63513396
Lol you have shit taste. De Soto De Sun and Doggy are two of their best songs ever recorded.
>>
>>63513401
not even close, almost everything from STGSTV and ST is better
>>
>>63507737
joost
>>
>>63512574
Oddsac is definitley the best anco
>>
>>63507737
most average
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.