[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get this. Why is so critically acclaimed? Sounds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
I don't get this. Why is so critically acclaimed? Sounds very boring to me even after many listens.
>>
>>63501867
you were a kid when it came out, of course you don't understand
>>
because you've never experienced true loneliness
>>
Wait a few years and go back to it.
>>
>>63501867
Memes aside, this is objectively and emotionally my favourite album. It's just flawless as a whole, and has many unforgettable songs.
>>
>>63501909
I'm lonely most of the time. Many albums make me feel very emotional but this one just didn't click, I have no idea why.
>>
>>63501948
Then come back to it after a few weeks.
>>
it's a meme you dip

:-)
>>
>>63501993
Okay thanks, I'll try
>>
are you a middle aged white man who commutes to work every day and finds himself drowning in the vapidness of modern society? if not, then maybe this is not the type of emotional connection you can make

i am not a middle aged white man who experiences those things but i still love this album because its sonically brilliant
>>
I really think it's funny when someone thinks an album is absolute shit when it just isn't their tastes. I mean, this guy even admits it doesn't click >>63501948, yet says it is boring. If you don't like it, then YOU don't like it. That doesn't mean that it is bad. Hell, pretty much all of us on /mu/ don't like top 40 pop stuff, yet some people love it.
>>
>>63502118
I didn't say it's shit though
>>
>>63501867
oh fuck, time to show my power level
Several of the tracks are technically intriguing. For instance, Paranoid Android has time changes from 4/4 to 7/8 back and forth during the middle section, and the guitar part in Let Down is in 5/4, not to mention key and tempo changes out the wazoo, while the rest of the instruments are in 4/4 (albeit i can't really figure that out aside from reading about it).

It's also pretty notable for having more electronics/distorted noises in it than an average 90s alt band. Exit Music (For a Film)'s climax amps up the bass at a ridiculous amount, while songs like Climbing Up the Walls and a bit of Karma Police have distortion to add to the frantics of the song. Electioneering is also pretty electric, but I don't really care for it after my initial love for the album so let's move on.

The album has an overall theming of isolation in the society that the protagonist(s?) live(s) in. Paranoid Android was apparently written after Thom Yorke witnessed a bar fight, and releases a bit of anger about his frustration with peers around him. In fact, that's pretty much most all the album. Subterranean Homesick Alien is about a daydream of leaving Earth and taking a breather from the batshit insane stuff going on here, Exit Music (For a Film) is (in my interpretation, at least) about a couple running away and rebelling from some parent, Fitter Happier is supposed to be a satire about society's bizarre materialism or something (it's a weird-ass interlude), No Surprises is a darker turn down a man's life as he opts for suicide in his depression, and The Tourist is about the character finally slowing down and enjoying life for what it is as he tells others to. There are several theories about this album's concept (or if there is one); for instance, the 'ding' at the end of The Tourist is the car crash at the beginning of Airbag, meaning the album is some loop. Continuing autism momentarily
>>
It's bad. Radiohead's not even good, but this definitely among their worst albums.

>>63502060
This doesn't even remotely describe any of the members of Radiohead at the time this album was recorded. It doesn't even describe them now minus the middle aged white man part.
>>
>>63502494
>This doesn't even remotely describe any of the members of Radiohead at the time
yeah, obviously?
Music communicates abstract concepts and emotions that do not have to be fully felt and/or experienced by the artist in order to be conceptualised and communicated, kid.
>>
>>63502494
it doesn't need to describe the members of radiohead. its the feeling which they tried to capture
>>
>>63502549
>>63502550
Well they did a bad job both conceptually and musically then
>>
>>63502454
okay anyways
My little theory is that it's a Christmas Carol-type of story, where the guy realizes he hasn't appreciated life for what it is after his 'car crash'. After a bunch of venting and sadness about what he doesn't have, he finally gets it together and we witness the start of another transition at the end of The Tourist. Of course, that's just a concept I have that helps me think about what the artists had in mind when writing, but that's beside the point.

Overall, the album is a lot like a more society-centered, 90s alt-rock Dark Side of the Moon. It talks about the norms of civilization, some more negative than others, and it sums up a lot of the struggles of the everyman both in 1997 and now. Even if it's hard to relate, sometimes you can sympathize with Thom's wailing in say Exit Music or Karma Police. The most interesting part, at least for me, is that there's a lot of depth in this album. I didn't cover all of the tracks's most common interpretations; that's because I haven't listened to the album enough. There's plenty of material here to give another 19 years of thought, interpretation, and enjoyment of this album. If it doesn't work for you, then that could be a personal preference, but it met me at a very fucked-up time in my life, and it's one of my favorite albums.
>>
People get so passionate about radio-head, its crazy. They're not some under appreciated hard to understand band, they're literally one of the most popular bands in the world, and have been for such a long time. If somebody doesn't like radio-head they just don't like it, like any other pop music. They're pretty much just aphex twin with shit singing added on top anyway
>>
>>63502669
this has to be bait
>>
>>63502669
>They're pretty much just aphex twin with shit singing added on top anyway
bait detected
>>
File: 1420336737350.jpg (26 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1420336737350.jpg
26 KB, 400x462
>1997
this is 2016 sometimes you need context to appreciate things you little whiny bitch
>>
>>63502454
>>63502626
thank you anon
>>
File: 1452699437554 (1).jpg (62 KB, 449x456) Image search: [Google]
1452699437554 (1).jpg
62 KB, 449x456
try the superior Kid A, Ok computer is for muse and coldplay lovers, no kdding
>>
>>63502697
>>63502815
real opinion, nobodies ever been able to change it, people usually get visibly upset :')
>>
LEEEEEEEET DOWN AND HANGIN AROUND
>>
>>63502669
Well you started out strong.
>>
>>63502669
>They're pretty much just aphex twin with shit singing added on top anyway
The King of Limbs maybe but com on.....
>>
top 5 best albums ever
>>
>>63503057
If you've only every heard 5 albums and even then it's debatable
>>
File: 1457314639991.jpg (43 KB, 625x464) Image search: [Google]
1457314639991.jpg
43 KB, 625x464
>>63503123
>>
>>63502669
radio-head
;)
>>
>>63503123
omg edgy
>>
>>63501909
>>r9k

>>63501867
It's highly critically regarded mostly because it catches the fear/paranoia/pessimism that was very prevalent in the late 90s, is consistent (there's not really any weak tracks), is paced well, and displays an excellent stylistic development for the band.

Analysis aside, for me I started liking the album for it's unique style (not a lot of songs like exit music from a film), comfy harmonies (esp. Paranoid android), cynical lyrics (fitter happier, no surprises), and beautiful/sad melodies (karma police).

A lot of times though, personal taste trumps all and this just might not by the album for you
>>
>>63502626
I never thought no surprises was about suicide. I thought it was just about someone sick of the hustle and bustle and interruptions of city life.

What's this about the car crash thing?
>>
>he thinks let down is borning
>he thinks airbag is boring

️OK pleb
>>
>>63502942
kek

Kid A is probably the worst album of the past 30 years.
>>
>>63504067
Airbag is about a car crash that Thom survived to
>>
File: 1455646544207.jpg (169 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1455646544207.jpg
169 KB, 1000x1000
Thom Yorke looks just like his music sounds, and he looks like he's been lobotomized and force-fed sleeping pills.

He really looks like deep down, he doesn't want to make music at all, but that his doctors told him it was either that, or chemical castration.

He looks like if he bumped into a chair after stumbling his way through a room, he'd apologize to the chair.

He looks like he's what's called a "philosophical zombie", that is to say a human being with working bodily functions, but absolutely no hint of sentience, awareness or sensitivity of any kind.

He looks utterly defeated, he looks like the kind of man a hundred generations of bureaucratic dictatorship would produce after mercilessly and clinically suppressing all hints of free will and personal ambitions in its population. If he didn't sing, I'd be convinced that the only thing he's able to say is "yes".

He looks numb. He looks so numb it's a miracle he's even alive because someone this numb wouldn't have the degree of proprioception required to keep all his cells together. He'd literally melt into protoplasmic goop, like a big jellyfish washed ashore, like a load of sterilized semen being flushed down, like a gob of spit waiting to dry on a chewing gum-encrusted pavement.

That's what Thom Yorke looks like, and that's what Radiohead sounds like.
>>
>>63504181
go get your ears triple-checked
>>
>>63504228
Radiohead sounds just fine.
>>
>>63504228
Radiohead sounds like you took LSD for the first time and are focusing on trying not to die
>>
Let me just say this. No one will probably read all of this, nor care what a depressed 18-year-old had to say here. But I want to say one thing: this album was and still is a miracle for me. If there's any album I can go to when I feel like absolute shit, this is the one. I listened to it so many times that I have to give it a break now, but I can't find anything else as powerful and moving as this album. I mean, it is an album. Let's not propel it any further than that. In the end, it's a commercial alt-rock album like DSotM was a commercial progressive rock album, but it has something to it. Real pain, real struggle, real melancholy. I can feel it in songs like No Surprises and Let Down. And I hear hope and uplifting themes too, like in Airbag, like in Tourist. It has its sad moments and its joyous moments: it's an album you listen to when you're depressed and it's an album you listen to at the peak of happiness.
>>
music for autistic high school kids
>>
>>63504337
Got through the first two sentences and yeah you're right I hope nobody fucking reads that and certainly nobody will care
>>
>>63504952
I really don't give a shit what you think dude. You sound like a really uptight asshole.
>>
It's a great album, maybe you're just dead inside.
>>
>>63504337
lol
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.