[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Circle of Fifths
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
Back in high school whilst studying music, I always considered this a test on how intelligent someone was.

If they intuitively understood the CoF, they were at a high standard of intelligence.

If it took them a few weeks to understand it completely, they were average.

To the people who STILL don't understand it, they were a lost fucking cause.

I remember this vividly because each and every person that couldn't wrap their head around it would inevitably fail that section of the test or simply drop out of the class.

So what about you /mu/? Did you immediately understand the circle of fifths when you were studying music theory?
>>
I was too lazy to try and just dropped the subject because let's be honest, it's best to focus on subjects that actually get you somewhere in life
>>
>>63495873
Funny you say that, because those who intuitively understood this at my school would typically be excelling in their other classes too.
>>
Bet you get a lot of pussy with this kind of thinking
>>
>>63495897
>school

yeah so you're disqualified from talking about matters of intelligence.
>>
>>63495906
Bitches love my D major scale. They go nuts about my two sharps. ;)
>>
>>63495915
Thanks for the foresight.
>>
simple eric
>>
>>63495854
that's a very awful outlook you have. There's vastly different kinds of intelligence and reducing you judgements of peoples intelligence to arbitrary criteria is kind of silly.

That being said, I propose different arbitrary criteria. It's this; what have they made? Smart people make things. So to judge their intelligence, just look at what they have made and judge the qualities of that.

What about you OP? what have you made?
>>
>>63495897
Correlation doesn't equal causation
>>
i understood it perfectly but also was aware of the fact that doesn't actually exist when using 12-tet and is obviously based on a LIE
>>
>>63495854
I understand it. I dont have it memorized tho.
>>
how do you not understand it?
like what is there to get about it?
not understanding this shit is like not understanding a dictionary.
>>
>>63495967
he made this shitty thread
>and probably nothing else
>>
>guys I'm intelligent I swear
>look at this rudimentary concept I understand
>g-guys
>>
I honestly had to look this up, and I knew what it was without even knowing it.

How do I rate in your eyes, OP?
>>
Music theory fags are literal cancer.
>>
Okay? What's there to *get* about the circle of fifths, like, it's not a *concept*. There's no way you don't understand this, it'd be like not understanding water.
>>
>>63495854

>Back in highschool.
>"Whilst."
>Music class.
>Studying music theory worth a fuck.

What shitty bait.
Put the cherry on top and tell me you're a fret pleb or pianist.
>>
nice b8
>>
>>63496442
There aren't all bad, just the ones who flaunt their knowledge and act superior because they know it. Anyone who talks about the fact that they know theory. People who never bring it up are ok
>>
File: srslyfam.jpg (125 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
srslyfam.jpg
125 KB, 400x400
>>
>>63495854
What do you think of the reason behind using a minor key vs major key when invoking uneasy or depressive feelings. TV uses this. I know that major keys sound optimistic and minor sound pessimistic but where did that idea first originate I wonder?
>>
>>63497799
speech
>>
>>63497799

>but where did that idea first originate I wonder?

I thik it's rooted in the mathematical relationship between the frequencies that make up intervals and harmonies, just as the golden ratio explains why we are predisposed to appreciating certain paintings. Some people think that it's a cultural issue but I disagree and IIRC studies have been done that show that people from non-western cultures were able to understand the major/minor happy/sad dichotomy.
>>
>>63497922
To a much smaller degree though. So that leads me to believe that yeah, we are sort of predisposed to it, but a lot of it is probably cultural conditioning as well.
>>
>>63497922
my fucking dog understands it
and my cat

it's innate
>>
>>63496957
Of couse, but you should know that fag indicates a shitposter/low quality poster.
If you weren't one, then that would just make you a music theory guy or something.
>>
>>63495854
I dont understand it.

I mean assuming 6tet what would be the letters?
>>
>>63495854
it's literally just counting up or down by 5ths...

CGDAEBF
nothing complicated about it...
you make it look like something complicated.

Like I'm a fucking idiot and it's easy.
>>
>>63495915
I know this is bait, but do you somehow think not receiving education makes you somehow smarter?
>>
>>63499189
he's implying curriculum is useless.
education means very little because they teach pointless things. Like literally fucking pointless, and there are a ton of excuses and make believe stories that they build character etc but generally they're useless wastes of our life.

He's missing the point though because electives are an entirely different story.
>>
>>63495854
I've never seen this before and have never studied music theory. What am I looking at here?
>>
>>63499229

well i'm no teacher so i'll just explain what comes to mind.
in a basic chord you have a root, 3rd, and 5th.
Root gives the name of the chord
3rd determines if it's minor/major
5th determines if it's diminished/augmented (or usually, just normal)

a typical C chord is
C E G
(C major)

that's how i remember fifths, just keep remembering the 5th of each chord basically

C E G
G B D
D F A
A C E
E G B
B D F
F A C

See how they go kinda, and add sharps/flats etc but basically every 5th is also into a new key.

Like C is no sharps
G is 1 sharp
D is 2 sharps
A is 3 sharps
E is 4 sharps
B is 5 sharps
F# is 6 sharps
C# is 7 sharps

The pattern is pretty consistent there (because it's the same thing i suppose)

see how they just go 5ths like that, it's kinda the same with flats except it's backwards (which ends up looking like forward a 4th instead of 5th)
C
F
B
E
etc

it's also used in some other stuff but it's mostly just "this is why this key has this many sharps/flats"
kind of lame and this post is kinda weird.
>>
>>63495979
Same with me. I really need to get on that.
>>
>>63495897
I was able to intuitively grasp the CoF and I was a pretty awful student in high school, this is a really shitty and sort of pretentious way to determine someones intelligence, OP.
>>
>>63495854
I had been fiddling with a keyboard for years before learning the concept and figured out a few of the scales and patterns on my own, so yeah I picked it up almost instantly.

I don't think it's fair to say it's a litmus test for intellect though. I had some applicable experience before I was handed the COF, anyone who doesn't have some prior knowledge clearly won't stand a chance.

So perhaps it's a better litmus test for people who have a more relevant perspective to the COF.
>>
>>63499989
almost buddy.
>>63499999
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.