[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of Modest Mouse?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1
File: aasdf.png (261 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
aasdf.png
261 KB, 500x250
What does /mu/ think of Modest Mouse?
>>
one of the best ever. how new be you?
>>
>>63486863
there'th something that'th interesthing about them
>>
They always striked me as a reddit version of Muse
>>
ice age heat wave can't complain
>>
literally poor man's built to spill
also why are there so many members in the band
>>
>>63486916
They're not comparable in the slightest.

Not lyrics-wise, not music-wise, not theme-wise.

That's also funny, considering that Muse is the reddit Radiohead
>>
super gay pop music
>>
>>63487009
gotta support their families somehow
>>
One of my favorite artists; there are few that I'd put above them, personally.

It's a real shame that Strangers was so ass, considering it took them 8 years or so to get it out.
>>
>>63486863
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8crIHgjG1_I

Pretty good desu senpai
>>
>>63487067
I liked it. One of the things that I've loved about MM since I found them is, like other bands I like, they change over time. But I think they do still have some consistent part to them that makes it all fit together.

Cause really if you look at the discography of the band, it does tell something of a story. The songs near the beginning were frustrated, angry, passionate. You could really tell Isaac was in a lot of places he hated. Now that they've become succesful as a band, things have gotten better for him. I kinda imagine they've lost a lot of the problem they had to sing about (it drug addiction, depression, stuck in a place you despise) and now they're more focused on ideas, like 'Ship started out with the idea that every song is about a crew who dies by the end. Now I imagine Stranger to Ourselves is MM sort of reflecting their own 'problems' with the 'prooblems' of the 1st World. They've reached a point where they CAN just party and be destructive and careless like the majoriry of the world, not that they necessarily want to, as even still it seems they hate this kind of lifestyle as well. They've kind of gotten over their adolescent problems. I feel like they've grown and now things just are for them.
>>
GOAT
>>
their output from 1996-2002 is incredible. Sharpen Your Teeth (from Isaac's side project) is really underrated.

Their new stuff is also good. Good News is misunderstood because it's not 90's-angsty mm.

Strangers probably could've been really good too if Isaac had decided to make one 10 song album instead of two 15~ song albums. Pups to Dust, the Best Room, The Ground Walks, the Tortoise and the Tourist, all much better than most anything off We Were Dead.
>>
>>63487248
I certainly get what you're going for, but I don't really agree.

Even if it works conceptually, the music needs to stand for itself and in this case, I just don't think it does.

The record sounded like someone trying to play MM, rather than MM itself; it had all of the trappings of a modern MM album, but lacked spirit, I think. Something solid behind the veneer.

>>63487472
>Pups to Dust, the Best Room, The Ground Walks, the Tortoise and the Tourist, all much better than most anything off We Were Dead.
I totally disagree.

We Were Dead has been entirely vindicated in my eyes; I really like it, even if it's not like much of what they've done before. Strangers was the opposite, and in fact The Tortoise and the Tourist might actually be my least favorite MM song out of all of them
>>
>>63487033
>reddit Radiohead
dude radiohead is the reddit radiohead
>>
Moon & Antarctica > We Were Dead > Lonesome Crowded West > Building Nothing Out of Something > This is a Long Drive > Good News > Strangers to Ourselves

Who's excited for the new album this year? I'm hoping it's a bit more adventurous than Strangers.
>>
>>63487537
We Were Dead is a really mixed bag for me. Some of the songs are really great, like Dashboard, Fly Trapped In A Jar, Spitting Venom and King Rat, and then the other half is the worst material MM ever put out. (We've Got Everything, Fire It Up, Steam Engenius)

I will say that it's really grown on me since my initial impressions, maybe there's room for more growth.
>>
>>63487691
According to that Buzzfeed interview (against all odds, probably the best MM interview ever) it's coming out in 2017. Also, Jeremiah said the next one is a lot weirder, and I think either Isaac or some reporter who got to hear it said it had a much darker tone than StO.
>>
>>63487691
>Who's excited for the new album this year?
There's a new MM out this year? Since when? Do we know a release date/do we have a single yet?

>>63487693
>I will say that it's really grown on me since my initial impressions, maybe there's room for more growth.
That's what happened to me; I was really against it at first but it's shot up to be one of my favorites out of everything they put out.

Also, I really like We've Got Everything and Steam Engenius. Fire It Up is ass, though
>>
>>63487537
I can see what you mean. I kinda agree. While people have different opinions on what makes MM what is is--which is fine and actually kind of a cool thing because it shows how varied the band is-- one thing I love about the band is how genuine it comes off. Which is hard to find in music, that added with it not sounding like shit. I do get the impression that they didn't necessarily WANT to release Strangers. Considering how long it took to come off, I kinda get the impression they were waiting for some more inspiration to finish it, but they have to make a paycheck. I don't feel cheated in any way though, anything new from them is good to me. Overall though, I am biased to this band in a big way, I'll admit. I don't think they've produced a single 'awful' thing. I even love all the crap quality rarities and bootlegs floating out there. I think Issac is a very intersting and somehow easily relatable individual, which is hard to find in music. It's just a plus I agree with his religious views and he uses wordplay I dig and works well with the lyrics. I also feel like the frustrations he exerrs are justified and understandable somehow. I dunno if it's the voice, the way he comes off, but it's so good in a weird unique way. It's like someone who was never meant to sing is doing it anyways.

While we're on the topic, finding good artists is hard. Is there anything in the vein of MM anyone would recommend? I find it hard as fuck to really get into a new band. It only takes one lame song or pretentious ideal to make me drop them as a favorite. I mean there are bands that are just okay that I might listen to now and then for the instruments and pacing and stuff, but MM has lyrics, unique sounds, ideas; a lot of stuff I find interesting. Also I rarely visit this board so if you will, recommend some actual music. I know what goes for 'music' around here by most of this board's standards, and it isn't.
>>
>>63487849
I'm gonna assume if you're a Modest Mouse fan you already know Built to Spill, but have you checked out Unwound? They're another Northwestern band that MM have cited as an influence.
>>
>>63487849
>one thing I love about the band is how genuine it comes off. Which is hard to find in music, that added with it not sounding like shit.
My biggest gripe with Strangers was about this in general - it didn't sound like they were being genuine; it sounded like they were releasing what people would just assume is any other MM album.

I do agree with the rest of what you said, though.
>>
>>63487849
Try Humble Cannons and Free Time by Geyser Bastion
>>
>>63487909
Haven't actually. I'm making a checklist to look into though. I come across my music by luck mostly. It's a bitch to wade through crap to find good stuff. I can honestly say I've come across my favorite bands by hearing one song somewhere along the way and managed to look into, never to hear the song publicly or by chance again, and when that shit happens I feel like the luckiest fuck ever.

And please, recommend anything else 'genuine' sounding too if that makes sense. Seriously, anything. The more you name the higher the chance I might find something I like.
>>
Easily one of the best bands of (my) time. I love Modest Mouse and don't let /mu/ convince you otherwise. They usually they don't know shit anyways.
>>
One of my favorite bands and Issac is probably my favorite songwriter. I prefer their first 3 albums but their other albums are good too. Strangers to Ourselves was actually solid, not as good as We Were Dead but better than Good News.
>>
>>63488002
Listen to The Volatile Utopian Real Estate Market by Pat the Bunny. That's about as genuine as self loathing folk music gets
>>
>>63488007
>I love Modest Mouse and don't let /mu/ convince you otherwise.

>Entire thread is filled with support
>le /mu/ hates everything meme
>>
>>63488073
Ramshackle glory, does this band have any relevance to eachother? vocalist sounds literally the same. always wondered this. too lazy to research
>>
>>63488002
You might like Red House Painters
>>
>>63487849
>>63488002
Don't do this>>63487997

I'd check out Hop Along. They're pretty similar to Modest Mouse, but not overly. The vocals are really emotive and 'genuine'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhtVc8obuSg

You probably know Tom Waits but also look into his stuff. Also influenced MM, I wouldn't say his music is overly emotional but it is very genuine. Start with Blue Valentine if you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_eR0IVSOhY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLxVnT5uN8o
>>
>>63488203
Yeah, Pat was the songwriter and vocalist for Ramshackle Glory. I much prefer his solo stuff tho, I dislike folk punk like most people
>>
>>63488491
ohh okay man. i dig Ramshackle Glory, but also like Pat the Bunny! thanks for clarifying
>>
>>63488558
Yeah not to say Ramshackle is terrible but I think solo folk suits him better

Btw if you're still looking for recs based on MM, check out Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co. I was turned onto them based on my interest in modest mouse and love em. Also seconding the Tom waits rec.
>>
>>63488606
you're music taste is great man. keep hitting us with bands
>>
>>63488645
Shit, thanks senpai I'll try to give you some good stuff.

High Society by Enon, Broken Social Scene's self titled, anything by The Taxpayers. Double Nickels On The Dime by the Minutemen is pretty popular around here and sort of similar to Lonesome Crowded West in some ways. I wouldn't say it's anywhere near as good but it's still a good album. If you haven't listened to Elliott Smith yet, Either/Or is essential northwest indie.

Hope this helps
>>
>>63488793
no, thank you. your suggestions are on point and basically what i was looking for. really cool stuff
>>
>>63488893
Dude no problem, glad to help
>>
I recognize now that it's not as good as their earlier stuff but Good News was the single most important album of my high school years. Literally changed my life.
>>
>>63487691
>no interstate 8
Jesus, anon.
>>
Their first few albums are some solid indie rock.
I especially love the drumming on Lonesome Crowded West, I think that album displays their sound in its rawest form.

I've listened to Good News and their later stuff, it's really pretty lame. Issac changed his entire writing style, and I'd argue he sold out.
>>
>>63489016
Interstate 8 is an EP.

I think he was only ranking the LPs
>>
>>63488233
Hop along's early material is better than their studio albums if you can get past the production issues.
>>
>>63489077
ah, you're correct
>>
>>63487849
She isn't similar to Modest Mouse in sound at all, but have you listened to Joanna Newsom? I think she gives a similar vibe concerning being genuine and having a very unique voice. Like Isaacs once you get used to her musical quirks they start to become exactly why you love it. Plus she writes lyrics like if Isaac Brock actually went to college
>>
>>63489101
Thanks for saying this. I'm listening to the Wretches EP now and it's great. Painted Shut was already disappointing in comparison to Get Disowned so this isn't really that surprising.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.