[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /mu/ feel about the Mountain Goats?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
How does /mu/ feel about the Mountain Goats?
>>
>>63483549
essential nu-male music for bespectacled skinny liberal arts students who think black lives matter and secretly wish they had a tranny "girlfriend"
>>
they're gay
>>
>>63483569
what /mu/core isn't?
>>
All you need to know about mountains of goats.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl7tUTIduw4
>>
literally John Green: the band
>>
I haven't listened to a lot of the Mountain Goats but I'd say I like them.

I love some songs on the Sunset Tree, and the first three tracks of All Hail West Texas. After that, though it's probably good, it gets too samey for me and less well defined.
In general I feel like they're a pretty one-note band, but I'll be the first to admit I'm not well acquainted with their discog.
>>
>>63483832
Actually its John Darnielle: the band.
>>
>>63483832
>making music since before any of John Green's fans were born
>John Green: the band
>>
>>63483878
doesn't change the fact that he and john green are both fucking terrible writers.
>>
Very comfy desu
I love all hail west texas and beat the champ
>>
>>63483929
have you read any books by either of those people? they are so significantly different stylistically and tonally. go back to high school friendo
>>
>>63483929
Hahaha what a dumb fucking post
>>
>>63483929
this is what someone looks like when they blindly hate shit bc someone they hate enjoys it (i.e. like an ignorant retard)

i'd request that you actually give a TMG album a listen (ideally OP's pic related) but you're probably predisposed to dislike it no matter what so just fuck off
>>
John Darnielle is the best songwriter of the late 90s / early 2000s senpai.
>>
decent but my ex overplayed them so i rarely listen to them anymore
>>
>>63483549
that album is 9/10...the rest i can do without
>>
>>63483929
this post actually made me gag, i'm not joking
>>
>>63483569
i don't get where this opinion comes from
he's not AJJ, he never wrote American Song or any other SJW shit like that
>>
>>63483929
how could someone possibly think that Joh Darnielle is a "terrible writer?" I don't care what you think of the band. he's unquestionably an amazing lyricist.
>>
Love them. I especially love Tallahassee, The Sunset Tree and We Shall All Be Healed. I'm actually going to see them live in a few weeks.

Also, the use of "No Children" in Moral Orel is one of the best uses of a song in a TV show ever.

Also, Wolf In White Van was kind of disappointing.
>>
I listened to literally NOTHING but the Mountain Goats my junior year of high school. I just had one of those shitty 2gb iPods at the time and the only thing on it was tMG discography. Only artist I've seen live more than once. In my personal top 3 artists of all time.
>>
They're fucking great. John Darnielle has a way and power to his songwriting that I honestly have never seen in anyone else. That's not even to say that I think he's the best ever or anything, but the way he crafts these stories and feelings really is something special.

I'm a bigger fan of the lo-fi stuff, but there's gold throughout all of his discography.
>>
>>63483569
TMG were a thing before any of those stereotypes existed. Go drink bleach.
>>
i love this band more than i love life

my gf made me a leatherbound journal of mountain goats lyrics and paint splatter artwork for my birthday.

fuck, i love this band.
>>
>>63483929
>John Darnielle's literal first attempt at a book is better than anything John Green has ever done

Anyone read this?
>>
>>63487607
Fuck yeah. I remember one afternoon back in the summer of 2010, my girlfriend and I were sleeping on the couch and all of a sudden I heard Pale Green Things come on the TV and it made me so happy. One of my comfiest memories.
>>
>>63487635
i preordered it and have had it since it came out (I actually got it a few days early, thanks amazon), and it's sitting on my shelf but i'm caught in this cycle of "I don't want to read it, because I don't want it to end" currently
>>
>>63487686
that sounds really nice, i'm glad you got to experience that, anon
>>
>>63486473
It had some structural problems. Not mind-blowing but I think it accomplished the same and even greater emotional depth his songs aspire to. Granted, the parts I liked most were the autistic escapist rpg explanations.
>>
>>63483870
this
>>
>>63483929
this post triggered me so hard, you deserve the (you)
>>
>>63483569
>>63483929
>mom! i posted it again!

i love darnielle's music. i remember listening to the coroner's gambit for the first time and tearing up more than once
>>
File: 1458536232068.jpg (27 KB, 415x423) Image search: [Google]
1458536232068.jpg
27 KB, 415x423
>>63483574
It's a single dude, only further cementing your brilliant argument.

Solid songwriter, very comfy.
>>
>>63487713
I may hate her now, but I do admit that she provided me with some of the best times of my life.
>>
>>63487908
i hate that i can relate to this feel so much
>>
>>63487908
>>63487929

funny story, i actually started listening to this band because i was making a mix tape for a girl i was in love with back in high school (but now resent), and that's what we did for each other, make mix tapes and try to impress each other with the drawings we'd put on the front and the obscurity of the artists on the playlists. I needed something good as an in-betweener, and thumbed through the music i downloaded off of some random list on /mu/ and i listened to random beginnings of songs to find something that matched the flow and energy of the other songs and beginning on the same chord as the end of the previous song, and found "Damn these Vampires" to fit my needs, and was intrigued by the songwriting, and i listened to the rest of all eternals deck probably like 7 or 8 times before moving onto tallahassee after seeing a post about "no children" in a /mu/ thread some 3 or 4 years ago.

so, long story short, it seems like a common occurrence for this band to get intertwined with people you love or used to love

/blogpost
>>
What was the first MG song you heard, /mu/? Mine was The Mess Inside.

>>63487929
Be glad you got to have all those good experiences though. Remember, "it was fun while it lasted".

>>63488076
The Alpha series (all of his songs where the title starts with Alpha, if you didn't know) is actually about the same couple and how they slowly fall apart. Stuff like that is ingrained in his music. It's great.
>>
>>63487635
Yeah I loved it. Those last few pages were fucking so good.
>>
>>63487908
>>63487929
>>63488076
>tfw no grill to develop close personal ties to MG songs with

>>63488370
Best Ever Death Metal Band In Denton was my first.

I still cringe at how horribly I misinterpreted that song back when I discovered them as a snobby kid in high school. I remember playing it to a friend in my car after school one day chuckling at the hail satan part, talking about how he was being so "ironic". Luckily I eventually realized how that part might be the most sincere thing that I've ever heard sung in a song before.
>>
>>63488589
it's a blessing and a curse because over time i've found myself identifying with more and more of the family happiness types of songs than the 02-75's

>>63488370
and yes i remember, friend, all the alpha songs and the entirety of tallahassee. even though they're fictional characters it's difficult to not feel attachment to the alpha couple and wish the best for them, whatever may or may not have formed in the absence of their presence in song-writing. it's fascinating how well he fleshes out these characters, while leaving them ambiguous enough to self-insert and relate to
>>
>>63488589
>Best Ever Death Metal Band In Denton was my first.
I saw him live in Denton. He played that song last, of course. The entire crowed screamed the Hail Satan part and it was great.
>>
Single most important band of my life. Love them.
>>
I would really appreciate it if we never discussed them here.
I dont want /mu/ to ruin it for me
>>
>>63483549
I used to think this was their best album, but now I've moved onto to talahasse. Have I grown up /mu/
>>
>>63489428
Nah not yet.

You'll move on to Get Lonely then Sweden then Coroners Gambit then Zopilote Machine then back to Sweden then Transcendental Youth (but only ironically) then back to All Hail West Texas before finally realizing that they have just recently peaked with the song Foreign Object from Beat the Champ.

At least that's how these things usually go.
>>
>>63489816
I listened to them a lot last year. But I have gotten bored so I'll probably never finish your progression. Their discog is too large
>>
>>63483549
I'm pretty sure everybody likes at least one Mountain Goats song. He seems, to me, to be a musician who is or should be universally liked. His music speaks on so many levels. Also probably my favorite lyricist of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUzRauyjn3w
>>
Was introduced to them by a senior at high school. I was a freshmen and he kinda went out of his way to take care of me and teach me how to be social / a decent human being. I asked him why once and he said "cause i wish some one would have do it for me".

He had seen MG 3 different times, all before Tallahassee (we live in NC). Was an incredibly cool guy. ODed on pills 2 years into college, probably suicide.

All of this goes through my head the moment someone mentions the MGs. it's not even music anyone, it's like psychic self-flagellation. But I don't think any band could ever mean more to me.
>>
>>63490040
Live in NC too and he does some great benefit shows around town.

Yes, tMG is a one-trick pony (two if you divide his studio from his lo-fi). But that one trick works pretty good and no one else can do that trick.
>>
>>63489109
Nah, I love it. None of my friends growing up could ever get into them so I always felt musically distant from them. It's nice to know there's other people out there who love them as much as I do.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.