[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so good bros?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: Spiderland.jpg (34 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Spiderland.jpg
34 KB, 500x500
Why is it so good bros?
>>
creepingggg up intooo the

SKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
The guitar playing meshes pretty well with the creepy vocals
>>
Because you're 15 and you LOVE horror movies and other totally crazy twisted shit man

And they sound just like your band! You could totally make this!
>>
>>63463651
it is simply perfect. everything about it is perfect, including the album cover
>>
>>63463651
i don't know man, it just simply is... it gets better and better everytime
>>
I would say its greatness comes from the combination of simple, powerful melodic messages with an understated conceptual delivery of the ideas presented by the lyrics.

It alludes gently to other genres (hardcore, metal, and shoegaze) while successfully skirting casual marginalization into a specific genre in its own sake. It manages at once to access the raw aggression of the previous two genres while also invoking the authenticity and humanity of the latter and the broader indie movement.

All of that is to say that it exists to defy typical genre categorization and thus exists as a commentary on the many holes left to be filled in music as a meta-artform.
>>
Why is it called Spiderland?

Why is the cover a picture of them swimming in a pond?
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 500x500
>>63464849
>>
>>63467229

>Why is it called Spiderland?

That's the name of the carnival referred to in the first song.

>Why is the cover a picture of them swimming in a pond?

The last picture ever taken of them. They all drowned later that day.
>>
>>63463651
Feeling to lazy to right a lot. The album manages to mix the complex and interesting instrumentals with some emotional singing. This helped it create a nice atmosphere. So many post rock and math bands choose to forgo a singer which I think ruins a lot of there music since it is very easy to make the music feel inorganic. Slint avoided that here
>>
>>63467229
They used to swim a lot in this quarry. Some of the band members were pretty crazy. The drummer basically lived sex drugs and rock n roll at the age of 14 (minus the drugs). They matured so early that they did not crave to be rockstars. With spiderland all they wanted was a fun fresh album. They put all their heart into it (dropped out of college) and worked sometimes 9 hours a day on it. They immediatly broke up after recording spiderland. It was exhausting and none of them wanted to be stars. Britt walford worked as a baker for erotic cakes after this.
>>
File: pandabear.jpg (119 KB, 640x517) Image search: [Google]
pandabear.jpg
119 KB, 640x517
>>63467445

>Literally bums off James Murphy while marketing himself as a "Master Baker"
>goes from Slint directly to playing American Legions with 60 year old black bluesmen
>casually fucks his way into The Breeders
>Shits in the Jesus Lizard guy's coffee over a cigarette

Most underrated madman in music
>>
>>63463651
what did you think of the outtakes????
>>
>>63467339
It's called spiderland because Brians brother said the album sounds spidery.
>>
>>63468057
¿wait, who?
>>
>>63468057
While I think Britt was a major part of Spiderland, I think a lot of the subtler moments on the album come from Brian. Brian had to drop out of college because he couldn't afford it, he constantly had to worry about money and was always very highly strung compared to how carefree and zany Britt was, was reading an interview where pajo went through spiderland track by track, don aman and nosferatu man were Britts songs and Washer and more the the subdued post-rocky riffs were Brians. These two polar opposite personalities combined and made a fantastic piece of music.
>>
File: watch out.png (252 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
watch out.png
252 KB, 852x480
>>63468057
Yupp. Britt Walford is an amazing person. It's a real shame he didn't turn out to be a more prolific artist. Watching Breadcrumb Trail totally convinced me of the fact that Britt is the mastermind behind Spiderland.
>>
>>63463651
because you're twelve
>>
>>63468527
Britt wrote the more mathy stuff on tweez and stuff like nosferatu man and don aman on spiderland. Brian was a huge part of their sound and wrote most of the stuff that inspired post rock like washer, there is a reason they didn't continue after he left.
>>
>>63469344
Britt didn't write Don Aman, what are you talking about?
>>
>>63469375
>>63469375
Britt wrote don aman and nosferatu man pretty much by himself, watch breadcrumb trail.

Britt- don aman, nosferatu man, majority of tweez

Brian- Washer, most of the stuff on spiderland that has a post rock feel to it

Brian and Britt were the driving force behind slint. I think they're both great writers. After watching breadcrumb trial, and seeing old footage, it becomes obvious which member was the driving force behind each song. Brian definitely had a huge impact on Slint's sound on spiderland and britt had a huge impact on tweez, brian joined the band when most of tweez was already written. The shift from tweez's sound to spiderland's had a lot to do with Brian contributing, I read an interview a while back with Brian a while back where he said Britt was the leader of spiderlands writing, but then britt pretty much said "nah, it was collaborative". During spiderland Brian had dropped out of college due to financial issues so he was pretty much dedicated to the album, he also seems like a really shy and modest guy who doesn't like to be filmed for interviews or take a huge amount credit. He seems really humble.
>>
>>63463651
its not

its music for neet virgins
>>
Every fan of Slint should definitely watch the documentary Breadcrumb Trail. If you know nothing about them it adds totally new dimensions to the album. That rehearsal video of them being literally kids and playing Good Morning, Captain is haunting to say the least.
>>
>>63463651
What I like is that I've never heard an album that sounds similar to it. Even Rodan's Rusty which is suposed to be similar is a long way away from this.

No one has achived such a coheisive and eerie album to this day IMO
>>
>>63469793
They were in their early 20's when they wrote that stuff anon. They wrote tweez when they were young. The whole "they waz kidzz when they wrote spiderland" myth needs to die.
>>
new album when?
>>
>>63469793
this. I watched it yesterday for the second time. Its a great documentary.
>>
I have nothing against this album, but I'm so sick of seeing threads about it that I wish I could somehow filter it.
>>
File: hFjVjXS.jpg (935 B, 189x189) Image search: [Google]
hFjVjXS.jpg
935 B, 189x189
Slint is literally diarrhea-core
>>
>>63469823
http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/interviews/quiet-revolution-slints-david-pajo-and-brian-mcmahan-revisit-spiderland

"19 being the average age of the band members at the time". The rehearsal I'm talking about was a pretty long while before the recording of Spiderland.
>>
>>63469746
>I read an interview a while back with Brian a while back where he said Britt was the leader of spiderlands writing, but then britt pretty much said "nah, it was collaborative".

This could be a case of both of them just being humble when it comes to their contributions. Undeniably the both of them combined is what shaped Spiderland into what it is.

>he also seems like a really shy and modest guy who doesn't like to be filmed for interviews or take a huge amount credit. He seems really humble.

This describe Britt as well in that documentary, in his personal life, among friends he was a total wildcard, but he seems incredibly humble and reserved too. I think it's hard to pin down who contributed what, but I have a feeling that Britt played a big role in the mood of the album. If you listen to "The For Carnation" which is a band Brian formed '95, his quieter post-rock sensibilities show, but it doesn't really have the intensity and crescendos of Spiderland, chalk that up to a change in interests. But Britt to me feels like he played a big role in the darker underbelly of the album.
>>
>>63469778
this is why it's so good
>>
>>63469862
Is that the one where Brian is showing pajo how to play one of his riffs? I think Brian was the oldest, his writing on Washer is probably the most hypnotic on the album, he also made good morning captain sound awesome.
>>
>>63469909
iirc Pajo was the oldest, he was born in '68, I can't find any info anywhere on Brian's age though
>>
>>63469965
> "For me … [long pause] well, without getting into a long, personal history here. My grandfather was a musician – he was a band-leader – who started off in the US army band, doing tours during World War II, entertaining the troops. When he returned from war and tried to continue in his life, he had a lot of trouble with money. It was tough to be a musician. He did a pretty good job doing day jobs and providing for my father and his mom but I think my dad was always pretty dismissive of my involvement with music. It wasn’t a personal thing – I’m not saying he was harsh or unsupportive, but I never received any encouragement with music. So, making Spiderland was something I was really, really invested in. I was also at an age when I graduated high school, I had begun college and with a great deal of financial concern I dropped out of college, just because it was so expensive. So I went from that environment into making Spiderland, so it was like I latched on to that – it was my lifeline. You know, becoming an adult, in this environment, it was very anxiety-ridden."

Poor Brian, felt really bad for him after reading that interview.
>>
>>63469965
I always thought Brian, Pajo, and Todd were in their early 20's, Britt was the young one.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.