[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you truly say you enjoy an artist if you can't understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1454376653655.png (28 KB, 186x208) Image search: [Google]
1454376653655.png
28 KB, 186x208
Can you truly say you enjoy an artist if you can't understand the language they are singing in?
>>
File: catchair_0.jpg (144 KB, 502x522) Image search: [Google]
catchair_0.jpg
144 KB, 502x522
>listening to lyrics in the first place
>>
File: 1455645118893.jpg (36 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1455645118893.jpg
36 KB, 640x360
>lyrics
lol is this an opera?
>>
>>63446573
I enjoy listening to K-Pop without understanding it. I do not make any effort whatsoever to understand the lyrics.

What I'm offering is a very subjective view, however. My family and friends do not understand why I listen to it and think I'm mental. Real enjoyment may involve understanding, but then even with languages you are competent in the artist might be saying one thing and could be interpreted in any number of ways.
>>
>>63446573
that's a cute confused kaguya

but to answer your question, yes, lyrics aren't necessary to music so you can enjoy music without paying them any mind. Good lyrics that you like can enhance the experience though, just like bad ones can detract from it.
>>
>>63446801
>I enjoy listening to K-Pop
stopped reading
>>
>>63446573
You enjoy what you enjoy, regardless of your understanding of it. If you find joy in playing foreign documentaries backwards whilst listening to dsotm, dressed as the tin man and jerking off - that's your prerogative. things don't have to mean anything, to be enjoyed. enjoyment is enjoyment, there's ONLY true enjoyment. faggot.
>>
>>63446922
that's weirdly detailed, dude

you okay anon?
>>
>>63446922
>you find joy in playing foreign documentaries backwards whilst listening to dsotm, dressed as the tin man and jerking off
Hey, how did you know?
>>
>>63446948
>>63446984
THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH DOING THAT
>>
>>63448752
FINALLY SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with tin floyding. I don't know why everyone likes to make such a big deal out of it.
>>
>>63446801
>I enjoy listening to K-Pop without understanding it.

Can you understand you're a faggot tho?

And I can listen to music in other languages, but if I had to list my top 250 favorite albums, not a single album with a language other than English would be listed.
>>
>>63446573
Highly depends. Classical has no words in it, but, invokes emotion becuase of complicated harmony and melody combinations, some songs with lyrics (specifically White Stripes, Black Keys, Robert Johnson or any other old blues and Hozier) are extremely simple, but lyrics invoke a response. As long as the music sounds good and gets across a message, intelligible lyrics or not, then one can understand it, some songs need lyrics that can be understood to actually have an impact becuase that's where the meaning is carried.
>>
>>63446573
>interrogation mark

are you guys fucking serious?
>>
>>63446573
Yes.
>>
Yes, you absolutely can.

I mean, listen to this English-language song off my favourite album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilF3zfx5n4A

I can't understand 95% of it and it's still awesome.
>>
>enjoying things
>>
>>63446573
So no one has truly understood albums like ( ) since their lyrics aren't meant to be understood?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.