[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
100 Most Important Music Albums
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6
File: 100.jpg (2 MB, 1640x1640) Image search: [Google]
100.jpg
2 MB, 1640x1640
Suggest some changes or just praise/hate me for making this.
>>
>hate
ok, whats the most recent thing on there?
>>
>>63442089
+++ for actually making a chart with variety and not just pop/rock with a couple of token jazz albums
>>
It's accurate enough to not make me complain.
>>
File: 1396263250471.gif (904 KB, 427x240) Image search: [Google]
1396263250471.gif
904 KB, 427x240
>pop music
>important
>>
>>63442089
It looks like a Rolling Stone list
>>
>>63442089
I would kick out guns and roses, and add the avalanches
>>
>>63442136
name 10 important artists in your opinion. I'm just wondering, not judging your opinion. Are you one of those people, who consider Ornette COleman pop music?
>>
>>63442098
I think it's "Is This It?" from 2001.

For comparison, the oldest one is "Dust Bowl Ballads" from 1940.

>>63442105
Kinda tough since rock is where most of my expertise comes from, had to do some research for anything other than rock/pop/hiphop

>>63442113
Thanks, mate
>>
>>63442089
not really much to complain about as most of these albums have changed the course of music that would come after them and have influenced a wide range of further music, however, I would argue that there's not much reason for Merzbow to be on there as I feel his work has done little to improve the musical canon.
>>
>>63442167
He and jazz in general are pop(ular) music, depends which he means.
>>
Spiderland is on there twice. I'm sure plenty of you will disagree but I would include Zen Arcade by Husker Du and Illmatic by Nas. Perhaps also one of Neil Young's albums like Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. I'm not really a fan of them but maybe a Talking Heads album too.
>>
>>63442089
I would say The Prodigy - Experience was more important, influential, groundbreaking and an overall more solid album than Goldie - Timeless.
>>
Some will notice Slint's "Spiderland" appears twice. I fixed that but it seems that I uploaded the wrong file dammit :^)

Replace it with some Agalloch or Meshuggah or Belle & Sebastian or sth
>>
>>63442202
The Prodigy is also one of the artists I felt bad for ommitting among others. Goldie just came to mind first because he played at a festival in my town a while ago.

>>63442184
Merzbow is the go-to artist for noise music. You could replace it with Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" if you want to.

>>63442196
Aye, I've noticed the Slint mistake. I didn't want the list to have to much of a single genre so early hiphop like Illmatic, Doggystyle, Enter The Wu Tang and Licenced To Ill almost made the cut. Husker Du and Fugazi were both canditated too and "Repeater" was in an early draft.
>>
>>63442190
But why the hell is such music considered pop by some people? I know it evolved from dixieland and early jazz, which were very popular and almost generic, but Ornette was a very progressive artist. His music was daring, influential and I doubt he had any audiences in mind when he was creating this music. Just his artistic vision and experimentation. Why would this still be considered pop music? Or Captain Beefheart, or Fugazi? I understand how The Beatles or Red hot chili peppers can be considere pop, but in what way does Steve Reich deserve to be called art and Ornette Coleman is still pop?
>>
>>63442266
art music - classical
folk music - traditional music passed down orally
pop(ular) music - everything else
>>
>>63442271
but isn't this definition completely bollocks? I can understand why one would choose to use this definitions, but can one truly view Ornette Coleman as pop music? Is one artist inferior to another just because his music has a few roots in pop music and not in the western classical? Ianis Xenaxis and Autechre for example. I like both equally and I know one comes from the classical realm and that Autechre have grown from "dance music" or "electronica" (two very retarted terms). But aren't both on the same artistic level? Both are following their own vision, without any regard for the market or the masses, both are(were) breaking new ground.
>>
File: 1458332348561.gif (497 KB, 298x219) Image search: [Google]
1458332348561.gif
497 KB, 298x219
>Black Sabbath
>not Paranoid

>The Dark Side of the Moon
>not The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

>Let It Bleed
>not Exile on Main St.

>Ziggy Stardust
>not Heroes

>Highway 61 Revisited
>not Blonde on Blonde

>Sgt. Pepper’s
>not Abbey Road

>Kid A
>not OK Computer

>2112
>not Moving Pictures

>Autobahn
>not Kraftwerk 2

>Raw Power
>not Fun House

>Discreet Music
>not Before and After Science

>Fear of Music
>not 77

>no Can

>no Leonard Cohen

>no Faust

>no Soft Machine

>no Tim Buckley

>no Dead Kennedys

>no Jefferson Airplane

>no Nico

>no This Heat

>no Talk Talk

>Elvis Presley
>important

>Michael Jackson
>important

>Frank Sinatra
>important
>>
>>63442367
I'm not saying any of them are superior to another, all 3 have their merits and calling something pop(ular) music isn't derogatory IMO, its just a handy umbrella for all music that isn't traditional folk or classical.
>>
>>63442403
Okay, I understand. But it isn't really popular, right? I mean, fever people like Merzbow than Bach. One is popular, other is art.
>>
Some albums to consider

Johnson C Frank - s/t
Kanye West - 808s
Pixies - Doolittle
>>
>>63442399
Pipers definitely had some influence, but not compared to an album that was in the chart for 14 YEARS
>>
>>63442421
Popular here doesn't mean something that has popularity.
>>
>>63442464
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_music
is this not what you mean?
>>
>>63442399
>Elvis Presley
>important
>Michael Jackson
>important
>Frank Sinatra
>important

you're literally an idiot if you don't see the influence of any of these artists in modern music, I don't even like Michael Jackson but I'd be stupid to pretend that his music and his style didn't massively influence modern music.
>>
>>63442436
So Thriller and Back in Black are the most influential albums ever, right?
>>
>>63442136
>POPular music
>not important
Because yeah, ofcourse some underground grudge band known to 50 people is more important.
>>
>>63442464
Moreover, in some cases the distinction between popular and art music has been blurred, particularly in the late 20th century.

This sums it up pretty well. Nowadays, I think, it is very hard to make a distinction between these two.
>>
It's a perfectly acceptable list of some of your favourite critically renowned, popular and influential albums, but without explaining how you define important I don't see how it fulfils it's goal.

>>63442105
>Kind of Blue, Headhunters, Shape of Jazz & Frank Sinatra
>not just a couple of token jazz albums
>>
>>63442498
But it also has blues, funk/soul, different electronic genres, hip hop and others, most /mu/ charts like this are rock and the 2 jazz albums.
>>
>>63442489

so you justin bieber is important, because he is popular?
you like justin bieber?
or you isten to him because its "important" to listen to him because afterall he is popular
>>
>>63442524
well justin bieber hasn't shaped the direction of pop music for countless years in a way michael jackson or elvis did
>>
>>63442534
Justin Bieber's influence can only be seen in at least 10-20 years, perhaps he made an R&B revival and we are unaware of it>>63442508
>>63442508
Thanks, mate
>>
>>63442508
So what you're saying is that having rounded taste means liking a few token albums from 5 or 6 genres other than rock, rather than just one?
>>
>>63442475
If a musician listens to those albums and decides to make music, well, then they are influential.

Obviously a popular record is more likely to be influential than a poorly sold record. However a groundbreaking album is also more likely to be influential than a generic one.

So popularity is a factor.
>>
>>63442399
Wew, sounds like someone discovered scaruffi.com yesterday
>>
>>63442399

>Heroes
>not Low

>Blonde on Blonde
>not Bringing It All Back Home

>Moving Pictures
>not Hemispheres

>Kraftwerk 2
>not Trans Europe Express

>no Nico
>Velvet Underground & Nico

>Elvis the first teenage girl music mania ever
>not important

>The reason why R&B is so popular today
>not important

>Go on the street and ask people a 1940s singer other than Sinatra
>not important
>>
>>63442089
Off the top of my head it's missing
Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
Neu! - s/t
Can - Tago Mago
Can - Future Days
GY!BE - Lift Your Skinny Fists
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
King Crimson - Lark's Tongue in Aspic
Miles David - In a Silent Way
The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
Pixies - Doolittle
Public Image Ltd - Metal Box
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Talking Heads - Remain in Light
Television - Marquee Moon
Yes - CTTE
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
This Heat - Deceit
>>
>>63442399
>>>/s/caruffi.com
>>
>>63442750
I only included 1 album/artist which is why some of those are missing
>>
Innervisions was more important than Songs in the Key of Life
>>
>>63442524
Yes, JB is important because he's popular. He's not important for me, I don't listen to him, don't give much fucks about him, but he definitely made a difference.
Actually I'm not sure if he did, I guess we will have to see if in the future he will be beatles tier crap or forgotten internet-hate-target.
And I don't listen to anything that's important. I have never heard of over the half of musicians in OP's.

Speaking of which, does importancy stard only if your album is 20 or more years older?
>>
>>63442089
>1910
>music started
>>
>>63442258
>Merzbow is the go-to artist for noise music. You could replace it with Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" if you want to.
Replace it with Haino's Milky Way. A 1973 noise release, Merzbow was apparently in the crowd watching and it inspired him to go do the same.

MMM is a good option though.
>>
>>63442173
>Kinda tough since rock is where most of my expertise comes from
Why didn't you just make the chart for rock music rather than giving the illusion that you know anything about the rest of music then?
>>
>>63442864
Tried to, but I made one with 144 and still felt like adding more.
Now at least I have an excuse because I have to include other genres, too.
>>
>>63442813
Some things can be seen better in retrospective, like an album's influence and importance.

Perhaps "Ex-Military", "Floral Shoppe" and "To Pimp A Butterfly" will be forgotten in 20 years and their influence unfelt.
>>
Angel Dust is the only Faith No More album worth a damn
>>
>>63443023
no
>>
>>63442164
Agree with Guns and Roses getting the boot, but J Dilla instead of Avalanches
>>
>>63442474
How can an artist be influential if he didn't invent anything? Recording covers and standards isn't worth shit, so isn't writing unoriginal pop songs

>>63442605
>5th century b.C.
>Iktinos builds the Parthenon in Athens
>2300 years later
>W. C. Smith builds a Parthenon replica in Nashville
Assume most Americans don't know about the original Parthenon, and have only seen the replica
>Later, American architects design neoclassical buildings inspired by the replica
Now, who is the most influential, Iktinos or Smith?

>>63442617
Nice argument!

>>63442649
>>Heroes
>>not Low
Heroes is Low 2.0.

>>Blonde on Blonde
>>not Bringing It All Back Home
Objectively wrong.

>>Moving Pictures
>>not Hemispheres
Rush are shit anyway, they don't deserve a place in that chart

>>Kraftwerk 2
>>not Trans Europe Express
Trans Europa Express is the masterpiece of their second period, but I believe their first period was more avant-garde

>>no Nico
>>Velvet Underground & Nico
I meant her solo works, especially Desertshore

>>Elvis the first teenage girl music mania ever
>>not important
Historically relevant? Yes. Artistically relevant? No.

>>The reason why R&B is so popular today
>>not important
Popularizing a genre is not an achievement

>>Go on the street and ask people a 1940s singer other than Sinatra
>>not important
What people on the street believe is not relevant

>>63442765
Nice argument!
>>
This is just bias since Here Come The Warm Jets is my all time favorite album but I'd say it's pretty important?
>>
No one can really dispute that you've made a list of albums important in their genre, but why did you come to that mix of genres? There are about ten metal albums (depending on how you count it) and five or six albums of jazz. Is metal twice as important as jazz? Reggae is exactly twice as important as blues? And Senegalese Mbalax is so important that it warrants inclusion as one of only two albums not from North America or Western Europe?
>>
>>63443819
>Now, who is the most influential, Iktinos or Smith?
Obviously Smith. His ideas weren't revolutionary, but they were influential. These are two completely different things, although I do not imply that innovators can't be influential.
>>
>>63442089
Animals>half this chart
Otherwise its good
>>
File: partone.jpg (231 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
partone.jpg
231 KB, 1000x1000
>>63443017
Floral Shoppe is shit, not original and not influential
Stop this meme

Vaporwave releases that won't be forgotten in 10 years:
Chuck Person –Chuck Person's Eccojams Vol. 1
骨架的 – Holograms
New Dreams Ltd. Initiation Tape – Part One
James Ferraro – Far Side Virtual
Nmesh – Dream Sequins
2814 – 新しい日の誕生
>>
>>63443925
You're not wrong, but: if you had to put one in the history book, who would it be?
>>
>>63442089
Needs pic related. Laughing Stock may be better, but SoE is so important
>>
Why are all you dickheads arguing about influence in a thread about importance?
>>
>>63444116
Define "importance", dickhead
If you mean "best-selling", there are already tons of charts out there
>>
>>63444091
I would probably mention both. If I had a gun to my head, I would choose the inventor of the concept.
>>
>>63444154
Importance can be defined any number of ways, but if you're going to boil it down to just influence, then you may as well use that word instead.
>>
>>63443953
>hey look at me i just searched on google "best vaporwave albums"
>>
>>63442089
>no Underground Resistance
>no Jeff Mills
>no Drexciya
>no 4hero
>>
>>63442089
I love Faith no More but maybe you can kick it.
And kick KoRn.

I would add "Second Annual Report" and Lustmord's "Heresy".
>>
>>63444671
Hum sorry I didn't see Second Annual Report.
>>
>>63444554
>implying i haven't listened to a lot of vaporwave
>implying the first result of "best vaporwave albums" isn't floral shoppe itself
>>
>>63444758
The best vaporwave album is ▣世界から解放され▣ by ░▒▓新しいデラックスライフ▓▒░.
>>
> A Blaze In the Northern Sky
>Not Transylvanian Hunger
>>
>>63442399
watch out proper /mu/ patrician just entered the thread
this man knows his charts
>>
>>63442271
>art music
you get hard when you type that dont you?
>>
>>63444914
ABINNS is the first second wave black metal album. If I were to replace it, I'd replace it with Deathcrush.
>>
File: heh.jpg (32 KB, 453x500) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
32 KB, 453x500
>>63445177
>that one guy who gets triggered by the term "art music"
Every single time
>>
>>63444914
Transilvanian Hunger only influenced shitty copycat bands. Blaze in the Northern Sky was a masterpiece of the true black metal sound
>>
>Album 1
>not Album 2

>popular influential artist
>important

>no obscure but influential artist
>>
Where's Floral Shoppe?
>>
remove Merzbow and add The New Blockaders
>>
>>63445489
no
>>
>>63445445

see
>>63443953
>>
>>63445511
Nice shilling but Floral Shoppe will always be the most iconic.
>>
>>63445532
In a way Chuck Person's Eccojam seems more iconic and "important" for this list.
>>
>>63445532
>the only vaporwave i listened to is floral shoppe
>>
>>63445549
>>63445573
SHILLS LEAVE NOOOOOOOOW
>>
>>63442089
I say ditch Faith No More and add maybe Public Enemy

Regardless of what you think it's an important record just in music
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.