[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There's only one real album worthy to listen to in the shallow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: xxx.jpg (175 KB, 495x500) Image search: [Google]
xxx.jpg
175 KB, 495x500
There's only one real album worthy to listen to in the shallow cannon that is; pop music.

Pic related. Thoughts? Discuss.
>>
Yeah, I wear a fedora too
>>
>>63440727

Cool man, nice of you to admit but we're talking about this album. Unless you have any real points to discuss then pass along, thanks. Sorry, I'm new to /mu/. Normally a /lit/ poster
>>
>>63440739
Yeah, I tip my fedora to young and desirable ladies at the mall too
>>
are you saying trout mask is pop music?

how the fuck so?
>>
its inspiring reimagining of what was possible in a rock context laid the groundwork for countless future experiments in rock surrealism, especially during the punk/new wave era
>>
>>63440782

Pop music is all encompassing of modern music.
>>
>>63440799
we can see you samefagging you know
>>
>>63440811
no, I'm me. learn to count

>>63440799
nice try. I guess merzbow is pop music then. work on your terms and maybe you'll get somewhere.
>>
>>63440788
Recs?
>>
>>63440827
If you are you and I'm me, this one is OP: >>63440788
>>
>>63440827

>being this retarded

lmao, you're so genre-defined
>>
>>63440840
you're free to make up whatever name for whatever you want in your head man

>Pop music is all encompassing of modern music.
is literally a retarded statement that means nothing
>>
>>63440893

>HURR DURR LOOK HOW RETARDED I AM. I'M GOING TO CONTINUE ARGUING EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT

just kill yourself. fuck off /mu/.
>>
>>63440909
it's important to lay out the right terms

anyways you've got serious issues m8

just asking you to look in the mirror for a second and calm down before you hurt yourself
>>
>>63440782
trout mask replica is an experimental rock/pop album
>>
i have a PHD in pharmacology

this album is SHIT
>>
>>63440782
its neither traditional folk music, or art music
>>
>>63440970
I know that's how you're thinking about it, but it is art music. And once you realize this the rest of yours (or OPs) sentiment washes away.
>>
>>63440788
Any recommendations for albums in that punk/new wave era
>>
>>63440990
except it isnt
the only actual popular music to blur the lines is avant garde /free jazz. You can say that beefheart is art, and music, but not art music
>>
all music is art
>>
>>63441083
You can say whatever you want and I can say whatever I want. But why do we each say what we do? Ideally it's because the words we use make the most sense of the things we are talking about.

I have no clue what you mean by "popular." Even less so "pop." You should give me a list of five concrete examples of each category you have in your head so we're on the same page. I can of course do the same if you wish.

You're talking to me now so do what I say.
>>
>>63441207
you want five categories of popular music?
>>
>>63441207
Rock, EDM, Hiphop, R&B, smooth jazz
>>
>>63440739
>Normally a /lit/ poster
Ah. That explains why you're such a mentally stunted retard.
>>
>>63441439
give me some examples of what is pop music and what is art music

if you can't do this, then you have no right to use those words to make demarcations and i'm done trying to improve your thinking

someone in this thread (OP or someone else idc) is very arrogant when it's totally clear to me his pretense is just a result of slopping thinking. someone thinks they have a vision of the musical landscape that others do not possess when they are themselves really very new to thinking about the issue. i don't really care who it is and i forgive them for their petulance. i only seek to help them because they clearly need it.
>>
>>63441552
>give me some examples of what is pop music and what is art music
pop music
>Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
>FML - Deadmau5
>Mr. Bojangles - Jerry Jeff Walker
>Prungen - Jaga Jazzist
>Millstone - Brand New

art music
>Music for 18 Musicians - Steve Reich
>HPSCHD - John Cage
>Also sprach Zarathustra - Richard Strauss
>A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
>The Yellow Shark - Frank Zappa

>someone in this thread (OP or someone else idc) is very arrogant
then look far from me, this is my third post in this thread
>>
>>63441646
see
>>63441153
>>
>>63441695
sure, but not all music is art music
>>
>>63441711
what a lame meaningless term
>>
>>63441764
ok opinion
>>
>>63441777
the worst thing about it is the way it relies on the music being notated, in a world where 90% of music is written on a daw, using a piano roll
>>
>>63441796

So many retards in this thread. TMR is the logical conclusion to pop music. Anything that was made before or after it (in the realm of pop music) is redundant. Fuck off /mu/ if you think otherwise.
>>
>>63441838
Wow you are literally stupid
>>
>>63441846

>Doesn't offer any discussion
>lmao u r dum xD

Hmm, a bit ironic to say the least.
>>
It's just the old problem, Don and lennon are the only good singers in pop. Barret also had charm, n bolan had novelty. Pop is singysongy, hence all the drooling by snobs. Not at all unjustified, just a bit stuck up n limited.
>>
do you MOTHERFUCKERS even know he put out more than just one stupid FUCKING album?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Beefheart_discography
>>
>>63442053
Noseshit
>>
>ITT: I don't know the difference between pop music and popular music
shameful.
>>
>>63440713
Go back to working on your "Donald Trump and the Rise of Fascism" thesis you waste of money.
>>
>>63444087
Thanks dude, Here's what i have by now. 'having risen out of the normal path of the nouveau superriche, trombosis fatduck, who's foe, deidre sandstrip, clouwmb to greatness off the back of own shoddy criticism...'. What do you think? Any fb is always welcome from your bf.
>>
It's the most artistically thought out album in pop. Coming from one mind. Really, it isn't pop, it's already inside serious music, just, by token of the process being the true artist's process.
>>
>>63441516
He still isn't as bad as the vore fucker
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.