[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ - Music Production General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: lunga.jpg (88 KB, 551x545) Image search: [Google]
lunga.jpg
88 KB, 551x545
Previous thread: no clue

"Here, have a real thread" Edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Under construction
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go tohttp://www.rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client herehttps://hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloudlink is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.
>>
>>63436544
Thanks for making this thread :)
>>
THANKS OP
I was real close to making it.Getting DAW general up on /g/
>>
>>63436544
Working on live instrumentation mixing.

https://clyp.it/xf3g31or

What could be improved? So far someone suggested working on recording guitar better. What specifically sounds off about it?
>>
Anyone else produce on Linux? Who /lmms/ here?
>>
https://clyp.it/fdj0035t

How'd I do?
>>
>>63436757
LOLNO.mpg

LMMS is terrible. It's like Ableton and FL had an autistic child and don't want anything to do with it. Abandon it and get FL/Ableton.
>>
>>63436801
Eh, sounds extremely amateur.

You need to invest in some better sound packs, arrangement isn't terrible, sounds like something that would be in an Xbox Arcade game or something I guess. At least it progresses nicely and is layered nicely. Those synths just sound really cheap man. I don't like the quantized repetitive 16th note chords that it starts out with that go all the way through either.

Not really my bag. I'd say you've got a lot of work to do.
>>
>>63437093
I wish to be a Video game music Dev. So my concept is to make it sound like it's from a game. I've always had a problem with getting over that hump I guess you could say.
>>
>>63437139
Well hey if that's your goal, then you are going in the right direction I guess. I would still suggest getting some better synths.
>>
Incase you guys want some more technical help here

>>>/g/53582761

If you don't remember me, I'm the Daw General dude

>>63437224
I don't think Serum is the issue, I just have to tinker some knobs maybe(?)(IDK)
>>
Can't decide on the bass sound to use for a track. 1 (DX7), 2 (filtered kick), or 3 (both)?

https://clyp.it/mcor0spk

>>63436740
Guitar sounds fine my man, quite bright though! Definitely don't want to clip with your vocals, that's the only negative that stood out.

>>63436801
Hold up, you actually make tracks? I thought you just made shitty /prod/ threads and gave people bad advice.

That was actually pretty good, drums could be a smidge louder though. And y'know, make it longer and all that.

>>63437093 is right, look at some more complex synth and drum sounds.
>>
>>63437244
It may not be the softsynth itself but the synths themselves within Serum you're designing or using need a lot of work. They just sound really generic and boring to be frank.
>>
>>63437290
What are you even talking about? I hardly give out advice dude, no one here can call any advice bad or good. I highly doubt if you're coming to 4chan for advice on this, you're making money at all.

and yes I do make music SC/tarrabyte

You've clearly havent seen me around or you'd know this anon.

Yes. That was just a WIP I uploaded there. I'm gonna work on this and play some Pokken

>>63437347
I think my issue with that is that I've listened to a lot of 80's generic music. I don't want to the dubstep route of course.
>>
BTW just so you guys know. If I seem snappy this week, my grandmother is basically about to die any minute. I don't mean to snap.
>>
>tfw just uploaded my first song to tindeck
the journey begins, wish me luck /prod/
>>
>>63437516
You dropped your fedora my friend. Don't go too deep. Clyp it is fine.
>>
File: childcancer.jpg (12 KB, 436x158) Image search: [Google]
childcancer.jpg
12 KB, 436x158
>>63437481
fuck off you retarded namefag.
>>
>>63437571
LOL ok.

Why are you so full of hate anon? There is no need to be an asshole.
>>
>>63437422
>no one here can call any advice bad or good
why not?

>I highly doubt if you're coming to 4chan for advice on this, you're making money at all.
most of us fall under the "aspiring producer" or "hobbyist" categories, so w/e

>and yes I do make music SC/tarrabyte
read the OP

>You've clearly havent seen me around or you'd know this anon.
i'm in here quite a bit. i know you, just haven't heard your work

and fuckin hell
>>63437481
>>63437565
>>63437610
you go from asking for sympathy to hardarse real quick
>>
>>63437695
>1
opinions

>2
Agreed

>3
It was for reference. I'm not promoting.

>4
I don't want people thinking I'm a dick for any reason, doesn't mean I wont stand up for myself. The anon was being a dick for no real reason cept to be one. That is literally it.
>>
>>63437565
tindeck > clyp
>>
>>63437782
OK whats better about Tindeck? I'll look into it if people are saying its better
>>
File: 1458451022410.jpg (24 KB, 308x302) Image search: [Google]
1458451022410.jpg
24 KB, 308x302
>>63437832
>>
>>63437870
not bait, just never used it.
>>
I've been fucking around with my new akai MPK mini and MPC essentials
Holy fuck i love these drum pads.

I've also been fucking around with this really nice synth vst pack from arturia. Any of you guys ever try their v collection?
>>
>tindeck
>dark
>dank

Cyp.it feels more simple. I figured you guys would like more simple. What do?
>>
>>63437481
Sorry to hear that bro. My grandfather just passed away on Tuesday. I am actually writing a song about him as we type. It's a song about the story of him when he was younger helping his family to make ends meet in any way he could. This particular story is about him bailing 40 acres of hay with his best friend for a WW2 Veteran who then stiffed him on payment. So he whooped his ass. Here's what I have so far.

https://clyp.it/1o15arbp
>>
>>63437986
Arturia? Not sure I've heard of it. I'll check it out though. I could use some new soft synths.
>>
>>63437782
>>63437516
>>63437210
i usually think people are dumb for calling each other shills but seriously, what the fuck is in this for you?
>>
>>63437986
They kind of sound samey to me. They're not bad, and you can pretty much garuntee the same functions of the synths they emulate, but it's almost like they all have the same Arturia spit-polish. Same issue I have with the Novation Nova synths and the chorus on the Roland JX synths.

However, the Moog Modular one is pretty fun, easy to get a sequence going with lots of processing that's easy to figure out by glancing at it.
>>
>>63438638
a ban due to shit posting
>>
File: avatar[1].jpg (6 KB, 142x142) Image search: [Google]
6 KB, 142x142
>>63438732
i think this is the guy, listen to this horrendous shit
>Hello there I am Savvas Dimitriou: contrarian, deipnosophist, sesquipedalier, and self-made hundredaire. I made some things and wrote some things. You can find me around the place or even send me an email if you like.
>>
>>63438762
For real though lets not give anyone who's trying to derail the thread any attention please? I really enjoy these threads and they tend to devolve into shit posting due to stupid shit like

>derp soundcloud is for faggots
>tindeck is better
>ur music sux lol

So lets just stay on topic, yeah?

I remixed the Edmung Fitzgerald cover, added some more vocals towards the end and EQd the guitars so they're more in the background and took some of the mid levels down on the vocals so they have more clarity.

https://clyp.it/5zpg2ffy

Fuck, it feels so good to be making music again. I think I may start trying to record local artists. Do you think I have the ability with my mixing and recording knowledge?
>>
>>63438840
i just didnt expect to find such a living embodiment of the fedora meme plugging this shitty website, i'll stop talking about it though
>>
>>63438840
your vocals still peak a bit, try a limiter if you can't rerecord
>>
>>63438273
yeah. It sucks. But we would rather it happen and she be out her misery.
>>
>>63438840
oh and
>Do you think I have the ability with my mixing and recording knowledge?
we're all getting better all the time, just go for it my man. just don't charge out the ass
>>
>>63438891
20 dollars per hour isn't outrageous is it? I know there are studios around here that charge 80-100 dollars per hour.

>>63438890
Yeah, my mother and grandmother watched him degrade in health for a full month. I saw him struggle to breathe without being able to make any contact for 4 days. He was at peace though, drugged up on morphine and in hospice...still didn't make it any easier for anybody. But, through his death I have learned a lot about life and I am so proud of the man he was. He is the reason I am so in love with music, especially acoustic guitar. This Gordon Lightfoot cover I did was actually in his honor, and dedicated to him and my father. My grandpa was a fan of George Lightfoot.

>>63438873
Eh, I know it sounds like they're peaking so I should probably try a limiter. The weird thing is it's not clipping in the mixer at all :-/ So I'm worried it's something to do with the mic maybe?
>>
>>63437986
Prolly. I've got the Arturia keylab 49 synth controller. Comes with Analog Lab, which has 5000 presets from their various synths that you can manipulate in tons of different ways. Really fun to fuck around with
>>
>>63438938
>20 dollars per hour isn't outrageous is it?
20-50 is a great rate for beginners (not in terms of skill, but in terms of people new on the scene). Go for it and good luck!
>>
>>63439034
I still gotta get some equipment set up. All I have right now is an Aiwa stereo which is acting as "monitors" for now, my PC with FL Studio and a snowball mic. But I think for what I've got I'm producing some pretty damn decent stuff. My idea is to create a demo of about 6-8 songs, present it to local bars and venues and try and get some solo gigs, build up some money, work towards writing and recording an album about my grandfather, as well as trying to get my foot in the door with RGF Island Records who records with Fetty Wap since my buddy just got picked up by them.

Thanks for the well wishes man! Hopefully everything I'm trying to do works out. I've not been on my music grind like this, ever. It feels great. I've written 3 beats in the past two days, recorded 2 acoustic covers, and am writing an original tonight as well.
>>
>>63439076
Is the snowball your only mic? At least get an SM-57 and some sort of vocal mic (AT-2020 is what I've used) for versatility.
>>
>>63439160
Maybe after I get some more money saved up, I'm assuming those are a hell of a lot more pricey, 170-200? Then I have to buy the stands and the shock mounts as well. I was looking at financing through guitar center but I dunno...I will probably just try and get some shows started up and use that money for equipment.
>>
ayy lmao
>>
please check this techno project
https://clyp.it/m111pgax
highly intelligent post - ironic dance music
>>
>>63441250
i enjoyed this
check this oot
https://clyp.it/fz4w1u0h
>>
>>63441295
i hope you were being sincere desu
that sounds hypnotic and nice but you need to add more modulation and change to that background vibrating synth
>>
this might sound dumb but,
suppose i pick up a midi keyboard, what's the best way to learn it without a tutor? is it possible?
>>
>>63441325
sure its possible, depends if you actually want to play the piano or just use it for something else. then its advisable to get someone to teach you basic theory.
>>
>>63441312
you do a lot of stuff that i don't know how to do, like did you make all them vocal samples? how did you do that? is it just 1 sample
>>
>>63441379
it is, its from a dj warlord song and i think he took it from janet jackson
the sample is reversed at the beginning, no effects
then i disabled reverse and added chorus and sidechained compression
>>
i took some advice from the last thread, hopefully it sounds better now.
https://clyp.it/ce0s4ejz
>>
What are some good drum kits?
>>
>>63442404
808, 909, DR-70, Linndrum
>>
>>63439182
Not him but an sm57 is aroun £70-80 and an AT2020 about the same. Dirty cheap LDC.

I'm ordering a couple of sontronics mics. Looking forward to it
>>
>>63442879
Yeah I checked the prices, they're a hundred bucks. I will probably get one at a time and build up money through recording and performing for the others. I am trying to get to a point where I use my day job to pay bills and everything else and all music and performance money goes towards music equipment.
>>
>>63442907
Yeah that's sensible. There's always the Rode NT1a, I would say it's superior to the at2020 and to be honest many people would agree. That said the nt1a isn't exactly a great high end mic. In the scheme of things it's relatively bleh. Better than the 2020 though. Also sontronics do an entry level condensor. Look at their stuff. You get a lot of mic for your money with them. I was using the Helios tube mic and I loved it.

If you're really desperate there's a rip off sm57 made by a company called Pyle. Around £15! It's obviously not as good as the real thing but it's not bad at all
>>
>>63442907
>I am trying to get to a point where I use my day job to pay bills and everything else and all music and performance money goes towards music equipment
same

I don't even have my bachelor's degree yet though
>>
>>63443055
I don't have any degrees. I've just been making music and messing around with production since I was about 13 or 14 and I'm 25 now. I work in the manufacturing industry making about 12 dollars an hour but I get hella over time.

>>63443048
Yeah a music store I called the other day suggested Rode. I don't mind paying 100 bucks for a mic, that's not too bad. So long as we don't get up into the 300 dollar price range. I don't even have the proper acoustics set up to use something like that efficiently.
>>
File: Capture.png (133 KB, 1078x353) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
133 KB, 1078x353
hey friends should I grab both of these or is the multimic one just superior?

new laptop and I can't remember what I used to have
>>
>>63443055
I'm just finishing my audio tech BSc.
>>63443087
Rode is good for the price. Honestly though. Look into Sontronics for their cheaper condensor. Or go 2nd hand
>>
>>63443319
Multimic would be nice because it will probably have more crisp one shot recordings, not to mention the file size is hella big so that means there's probably more variety, better quality and just overall more to it.
>>
where do you find your remix material sucha as acaps and stuffs
i know about remixcomps but is there anything better ?
>>
Can't afford a real guitar for a song so I'm trying to make do with just VSTs. Can somebody tell me if this sounds remotely acceptable?

instaud.io/lp2
>>
>>63443729
Why do people keep using off brand clypits itt?
>>
>>63444024
Forgot my account and didn't wanna sign up again
>>
>>63443729
I haven't listened to it yet but depending on what it is and what you need, I may be able to record some guitar for you if I find time. Got lots on ATM so can't promise anything but if I can I will
>>
>>63443729
>instaud
>not tindeck
what the fuck
>>
>>63444160
You have to be trolling.
>>
>>63444160
But you don't need an account for clyps
>>63444500
Shut up savvas
>>
>>63444721
You don't really need to bump within 10 minutes of the last post
>>
best way to make trap beats?
>>
Why is /prod/ not it's own board?
>>
>>63444894
Because then the content would decline sharply in quality. Can you imagine how many soundcloud threads there would be?
>>
>>63445034
Kinda like how /mu/ has 3 kpop threads at any given time?
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 424x460) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 424x460
>>63445066
Exactly.
>>
>>63444894
We tried. It's how our regular threads started, we asked for a creative board and moot never gave us it despite the pretty big support.
>>
>>63445392
it would only make sense. graphic design got its own board...you could have threads for separate genres, production tips, DAWs, recording equipment, discussion of how to properly set up a studio with nice acoustics, etc. these threads die so quick because all anyone wants to do is come in here and share there music and never actually discuss production, which is probably why production never got its own board.
>>
Quick Question.

Are the keys for FL Studio Producer Edition on ebay real?

I see them get as low as $30 while the price on the site is around $200
>>
>>63445698
Which ones? Post link.
>>
>>63445698
I honestly wouldn't risk it. Also, producer edition is alright but without all the effects and plugins I don't really think it's worth it. Getting anything but the full bundle is a waste of money in my opinion. Then again I guess you could just take the time to pirate as many VSTs as you want, but VSTs seem to be a lot harder to pirate these days for some reason. At least I can't find anything worth a shit on any decent trackers. Not even demonoid. and if I do, they're from 2011-2013 and probably don't work with Windows 10 or just flat out are broken by now.
>>
>>63445792
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FL-STUDIO-12-PRODUCER-EDITION-Electronic-Software-Delivery-For-WINDOWS-O-S-/262344384020?hash=item3d14f19e14:g:la4AAOSwyjBW5rBZ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FL-Studio-12-Producer-Edition-Electrionic-Delivery-/281967683813?hash=item41a69568e5:g:usYAAOSwB4NWyyty
>>
>>63445827
what are some good tools to use when you have very little money then, since you're suggesting that the smaller bundles are ultimately worthless.
>>
>>63445847
If you're gunna buy it from some random guy since it's already illegal you're better off pirating. Plus you're sure what you're getting when you torrent it, this dude could actually be a scam.
>>
>>63445879
thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>63445863
I'm just saying if you're going to buy it, don't buy it from some shady dude on eBay. That's all I'm saying. They're not worthless persay but without all the plugins, VSTs and effects, it's essentially your basic step sequencer and playlist...you could use something like Reaper which costs only 60 bucks and does both of those things.

Or you could Pirate the XL Producer edition. Just don't use any alternative that isn't pirating or buying directly from the source. That guy is most likely scamming people. What sense would it make to buy keys and turn around and sell them for 30 bucks? They're probably keys he's already used or something.
>>
Why don't we make our own small chan?

There's countless producer forums but something about how chans work is appealing.
>>
>>63446224
traffic would probably be very low

Tbh I'm quite content with the state of /prod/ right now
>>
>>63446224
these threads would slow down x10 and they're already pretty slow. it's also easier for new producers to find and join this thread when it's periodically flashed on /mu/'s front page
>>
>>63446224
There's already a /prod/ IRC chat, jus sayin'
>>
>>63446336
lemme get ccause i imagine thats where all the true prod heads hang out.
>>
>>63446336
Sweet. How to get in?
>>63446323
>>63446269
Yeah would figure. Just a thought.
>>
>>63446452
>Sweet. How to get in?
link is in the op
>>
>>63446403
>>63446452
check the OP guys
>>
>>63446541
>>63446631

Ah sweet sorry
>>
What's a nigga gotta do to get his hands on some good ass kicks? Don't know where to start looking. Everything I have now sounds like shit.
>>
>>63447447
Sample packs, lots and lots of sample packs, look in Loopmasters they have tens of thousands of samplepacks ,also sampling yourself, and you can even make some dank kicks on synths, then there's drum VSTs, Kontakt libraries, reFX Metrum which I highly recommend, and Nicky Romero's Kick Drum Synthesizer, the list is endless really.
>>
I'm interested in mixing two tracks together, but without adding things onto it. Without adding percussion for exemple.
Beatmaking software like FL doesn't seem suited for that since it's all based around tempo and that by crafting shit piece by piece from different tunes I will have a lot of different tempo.

What kind of software could I use ?
I know that my question can sound stupid and that I'm planning to do will be terrible music (maybe not music at all) but I'm experimenting.
>>
yo whats up erika /prod/u
>>
>>63448093
You can definitely use FL, but just turn off any sort of quantizing you have on the tracks you're using. I wouldn't know how to do that since I use Live, but I'm sure it exists.
>>
>>63448093
A DAW, like FL Studio for example.
>>63448371
Wassup man.
>>
What DAW would you recommend for a retard like me?
>>
>>63448687
FL Studio
>>
>>63448423
Oh thanks I didn't think of that. If someone passes by and know exactly how to do it please tell. Even though I will search by myself when I will have FL studio downloaded.
>>
>>63448687
FL Studio.
>>
>>63448698
>>63448731
No i don't like it
>>
>>63448763
ableton it is then
>>
you rike? or should i just delete fl studio?

https://clyp.it/fuwb4bho
>>
>>63448797
Idk anon, people always say that Ableton is pretty straight forward and easy to understand & use.
but for some reason the only DAW that makes sense to me is Pro Tools and Reaper.
>>
>>63448900
>Pro Tools

what is this? 2001?
>>
>>63448982
Hahaha i really like the pro tools hate, but it's still industry standard
>>
I like the Protools butthurt, cause it's proof that nobody here has used Protools
>>
>>63449049
I really want to, but it's hard to pirate :(
>>
>>63449049
I've used pretty much every major DAW out there and they literally all do the same things in slightly different ways you fucking clown. Useless you're a complete fucktard, it don't actually matter what you use.
>>
>>63449094
Ok so tell me anon, i think i'm going to go all in for Reaper, what should i know first?
>>
>>63449094
Where did I say Protools is better than anything? I know making yourself look like an idiot is cool and fun, but Jesus, tone it down man.
>>
>>63449143
Read the manual, like you would with any other new daw.
>>
>>63449143
know about what?

>>63449192
you're acting like pro tools is some holy grail that no one but you have used and it's just so fucking good when it ain't
>>
>>63449243
good guides, tutorials, youtube channels etc
>>
>>63449094
>>
>>63449243
I'm just pointing how obvious the butthurt is. Anybody with actual experience wouldn't be as butthurt as you. But thanks for proving my point.

Maybe calm down a bit next time.
>>
A DAW is what it's used for. You can make an amazing song with FL and the shittiest with Pro Tools or Ableton.

2 people could have 2 different DAWs, it's how you use them that matters
>>
>>63449340
Butthurt over what? I'm just calling you out on you Pro Tools fanboy fuckboi status. Just cause you dropped a bunch of cash on Pro Tools doesn't mean it's the best and anyone who disagrees with you just hasn't ever used it. lmao
>>
>>63449465
my general died man.
>>
>>63449485
yeah nvm
>>
then again, 1AM was prolly a bad idea
>>
OK I redid it
>>>/g/DAW
>>
>>63449435
it's industry standard
>>
>>63449589
YOURE A FUCKING TOOL
>>
>>63449567
>For the sake of work, you are allowed to use a name. Just don't
make yourself look like a dumb ass and make me regret saying
that.

holy hell follow your own rules
>>
Give me feedback.

https://clyp.it/2fanhtl3
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 309x305) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 309x305
>>63449638
You should really stop posting anon.
>>
https://clyp.it/xn3re5hm

Is this worth to be continued? Pattern x4 loop.
>>
>>63449049
I use both protools and logic mainly. Ableton for live stuff but I don't like it.

My lecturer many many years ago used to work in Abbey road and produced some fairly big groups. Another of mine was well known.

They both fucking hate pro tools. They both prefer logic.

I'm not 100% sure. I am more likely to jump to logic but protools is great for mixing. It's got a nice workflow. >>63449359
Exactly. Rob Swire uses cubase. I fucking can't stand it. It's pretty much all down to personal preference. That said some DAWs have an edge over some others but then there will be something they can't do as well as another.
>>
>>63449792
Not bad - fun even, very chipper chiptune. Too much to handle all at once imo, just no chill
>>
>>63449755
I do.

And you are the only person here who gives a shit about me using a name.

Why do you care? I've been in this thread on and off for almost 3 months if not more

>>63449865
The problem with people here is that they all think that if you don't use what you use now then you're a shitty artist. I'm sure some of you guys know I'm a big Deadmau5 Fan. He uses Protools, Ableton, and FL. He said the reason is because he ports everything over to each thing because certain work flows are better in certain situations. The amt of synths and specific ones are better in specific DAWs. It doesn't mean 1 is better for the next.
for the sake of argument here
https://soundcloud.com/tarrabyte/rby-pokemon-tower-orechestra
I've been told this sounds like it's made in anything but FL.
Jus sayin pls no h8
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3229) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3229
idk if anyone remembers, but my college wind ensemble is doing a piece with audio electronics, and I'm the one running the Max patches (provided by the composer) for both audio and video. The audio patch is some one shot sound clips, a bass arpeggio for one movement, and delay processing on a solo oboist.

It's also an elaborate ploy to pick up a qt oboist bf (not the soloist). 3/4 of a bottle of Jameson in a "late night rehearsal" in one of the school studios means the plan worked.

Now we just need today's performance to go well. Wish me luck /prod/
>>
>>63450210
Good luck! Care to share the patch?
>>
>>63450054
Why would I give hate? You basically said exactly what I did just in context of an artist.
And no I don't know who you are.
>>63450210
Goodluck. I work with MaxMSP sometimes. Got some work to do with it over the next 4 weeks. I don't like Max or PD but I have to.

Britbong?
Jameson's is good
>>
>>63450374
Thanks! Sorry, I'd have to ask the composer. I'll post it if he says it's cool after I email him about the performance.
>>63450390
>britbong?
Nope, mericlap, but st paddys day meant good deals on Irish whiskey.
>>
>>63448423
Quantizing is somethingis something done after the fact in FL. IT doesn't quantize unless you instruct it to. The only thing it will do is snap to grid when placing notes or patterns. You just go to where it says Line next to the play controls and change it to none, you can snap to as low as 1/6th of a beat or none. Recording though it places exactly what you play.
>>
>>63450390
I was helping you clarify my friend.
People here will give you shit for soundcloud cause of dumb reasons.
>>
>>63450516
Ahh fair enough.

My old housemate uses cubase. I called him a faggot and he said "it's the most stable!"
Crapped out on him when doing a live recording. Maybe that's all the beer that gets poured into his laptop... Either that or semen.

>>63450475
Ahh okay well goodluck and enjoy.
>>
>>63450605
Semen doesn't actually cause cubase to crash

t. Software biologist
>>
>>63450674
Eh.

That computer was fucking awful.

I'm sure it just killed itself from the shame of what he jacked off to. Weird boy
>>
>>63436912
>>63436757
https://lmms.io/showcase/

seriously listen to what Linux autists make

lmms has gotten better but the users are the problem
>>
>>63450605
Poor dude.

FL has never given me shit. If you can learn it, that's all that matters.

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people on /g/ think that if you don't use ABLETON or Protools and that you use FL, that you basically are the "baby" producer. I swear they think that it's not complicated to use, it's trash.

WHATEVER. . . .

>>63450727
I'm not one to shit on DAWs but when it comes to LMMS I can't help but laugh. LMMS is basically Ableton and FL's little autistic brother
>>
>>63450605
>>63450674
>Cubase
>stable

you can only have one

ive had more seemingly for no reason random crashes with Cubase than any other daw
>>
>>63450475
>paddy
Ha lol you actually believed all those people who said the spelling matters at all
>>
>>63450760
I don't "produce" in the electronic music sense anymore. Only do studio work and sound design so for me FL is worse for my needs. Hence why I sit using Logic Pro 9 (better than X) and pro tools.

My other friend is a house guy, FL suits him well.

That said in uni we had a kid come in the studio and whine that FL wasn't there. Studio tech looked at him and just shook his head in shame.

It's good for beat makers and EDM people but not when you're using a 32 track neve/ssl desk. Just eh. Not my thing. Works for some people though.
>>
>>63450807
Yeah, I was saying semen isn't what's causing cubase to crash, it's probably just cubase

t. Digital proctologist
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 335x525) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 335x525
>>63450857
What? I just didn't feel like typing Patrick's. But now you made me do it. Way to ruin everything anon.
>>
Tools don't matter, no one cares about tools...

You think people listen to the radio and bitch about FL Studio and Protools?

"I can't believe this stock FL reverb sound on the snare man, turn this shit OFFFFF"
*chugs beer*
>>
>>63450876
It is and then i show off my orchestra work from my FL stuff and people ask if I use Logic or Ableton.
As I've told them"Don't get mad that FL can do that. It's actually quiet impressive when you think about it."
I don't understand why people get so mad about using a different DAW in the first place.
>>
>>63450931
padraigs
>>
>>63450947
I would say a handful of people can tell a difference. I've noticed in a lot of songs the hats used in house songs. and that's when I'm like"Oh god, that hat is too high up"
>>
>>63450931
But everyone just used to shorten it to Patty before that stupid website started making the rounds. It's not like Americanized spellings of names are even a thing that's new lol
>>
>>63450948
Exactly. Different strokes for different folks. Not my thing. I intend to keep using logic 9 for many years. Don't want to have to swap to logicgarageband
>>
https://clyp.it/dsi1mm4u (unmixed)
thoughts ?
idk why i'm so bad at making "good" music, what am i missing ?
>>
File: vlcsnap-2014-10-11-00h21m58s241.png (282 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2014-10-11-00h21m58s241.png
282 KB, 640x480
>>63451091
>different strokes
I mean I'm left handed hehehehehe
>>
File: 1455657666513.jpg (28 KB, 154x255) Image search: [Google]
1455657666513.jpg
28 KB, 154x255
>>63450947
>mfw I recognize stock Ableton drum loops in quite a lot of songs
>>
>>63451358
>vengeance samples
>nexus presets
>>
>>63451309
As am I.

Also the space designer in logic is fantastic. Need to get more impulses though
>>
>>63451085
I think you're the only one ITT that cares about what you're talking about.
>>
How does one play old analog synthesizers that have neither a keyboard nor a midi port?

>>63451299
The synth at 1:20 felt totally out of place and that snappy percussion element should follow an easier rhythm, dunno if that makes sense
oh and everything sounds a little too clean imo
nice tho
>>
>>63450760
>>63450948
Okay hold up, why are you bashing LMMS and then being an FL elitist? >>63450947 is right, stop whining about DAWs and go make some tracks.
>>
>>63451477
lmms is literally at the bottom
>>
>>63451472
CV to MIDI interface, the "industry standard" comes from a UK company called Kenton.
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/m-cv/prosolo.shtml
>>
>>63451477
As I said before, if you paid attention, I never said or acted like an FL fanboy. You assumed it.
I said that I've never heard anything good come from any one that uses LMMS and it's basically FL and Ableton's retarded little brother wanting to do it but can't afford or know how to crack a program. Even if it is just replacing a program.

Look at all the work that is presented here from LMMS. NOW when I see something good come from it, I will stop giving it shit. There isn't a real single person here who actually uses LMMS over Protools, FL, or ableton. Hell even reaper is pretty chill. But it's rare to see any one outside the big 3.

The only way you know about LMMS is due to some kid that couldn't figure out FL, AT, or PT. Tell me I'm wrong and give why, because if you don't tell me why, I will disregard your comment towards it.
>>
>>63451472
>How does one play old analog synthesizers that have neither a keyboard nor a midi port?

Gate signals (usually a high/low voltage source) for note triggering, control voltages for pitch, in days of old you'd either use a sequencer that created these or you'd have your own keyboard that would create them.

To do it now you can either use a MIDI/CV box, or Expert Sleepers Silent Way if you have a suitable audio interface to use with your computer.
>>
>>63450807
Yeah back in high school it's what we used to record our first metal album (lol) and I remember it crashing on Mac for seemingly no reason at all. I HAVE USED FL for about ten years now and have never had that issue.
>>
>>63451672
me and some friends recorded a metal album in FL7 when that was the version

it turned out horrible because we basically didn't know what we were doing
>>
>>63451831
>>63451672
ya gotta love going back and hearing your first work and comparing it to now. I'm not amazing but I can tell I've improved.
>>
File: untitled.png (554 KB, 675x338) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
554 KB, 675x338
>someone has bought this before
>>
>>63451576
You're quite wrong. If I were to record the same guitar riff into every DAW out there (including LMMS) at the same bitrate using the same setup for each, you would not be able to tell the difference.

Same goes for a plug-in. Linux might not have the best plug-in support, but when you have Native Instruments on your side (with wrappers), you're virtually set for life.

As such, why should the tools matter? It's all about what you're used to. I've seen people in university courses use LMMS to great effect just as much as other, more popular DAWs.
>>
>>63451979
pls explain

>>63451991
Alright, valid point.
You basically did explain what I said, just more thoroghly, but still. you're not going to see someone take LMMS too seriously.
>>
>>63452022
its a company called crysonic

and that's literally the ad on their website
>>
>>63452118
all of my Y?
What do they think this is the 90s?
I've not seen an add like that in almost 15 years
>>
File: image.png (387 KB, 727x323) Image search: [Google]
image.png
387 KB, 727x323
>>63452153
>>63451979
Holy shit what a bargain! Almost like that time I won a lottery I never put in for and got a house in Nigeria. I had to put a small deposit down but soon I'll be mailed the deed!
>>
>>63452443
Has any one actually gotten these before?
>>
>>63452553
Nigerian prince here people win all the time

just click it
>>
Good tutorials/Books on production? I'm just getting started with Ableton and i'm a little lost. Most of the links in the pastebin are broken so that's why I come to you.
>>
>>63452654
ableton has a few built in lessons you go to the menu and it is called help view
>>
>>63452553
Well, what >>63452603 says
I believe him. Why would somebody just lie like that?
Maybe the parcel is just late.
>>
poor playing aside, which guitar sound do you like better? The first is mic'd the second is an electric

https://clyp.it/o1zvvl4v

https://clyp.it/kcdkujlk
>>
>>63452730
WHO WOULD LIE ON THE INTERNET?!
>>
>>63452923
numero uno
>>
Jesus, I'd rather hang out with you guys than be where I just was.
>>
>>63453324
what a fantastic story
>>
>>63453890
I know right?
>>
File: 63ADYPA[1].jpg (170 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
63ADYPA[1].jpg
170 KB, 1280x960
>>
File: cookies.jpg (101 KB, 1200x798) Image search: [Google]
cookies.jpg
101 KB, 1200x798
>>
>>63451979
Crysonic is a legit company though aren't they? I've never used any of their plugins but was always under the impression that they were a serious company with deccent product.
>>
>>63454269
id be pretty surprised if they weren't shit
>>
https://clyp.it/cui5p1at

midnight music right now
>>
Can someone give me a crash course on Harmor?
>>
>>63454691
Its an additive synth which adds modular effects to an electric signal. Harmless is the opposite.

I never really cared to learn either. Study some presets, tweak em, and see how it works.
>>
https://clyp.it/nq4o11zg
weee
>>
stupid fucking niggers killed this thread like dman...l
>>
https://clyp.it/leuelpd4

How's this as a cliche trap rap instrumental? Should I add in more instruments on some parts? Is the intro too long? What should I bring in at 1:21 to make it not so repetitive?

Remember, there's gonna be vocals on it which is why it's so bare.
>>
>>63456123
Put some hentai samples on that shit
>>
>>63456123

weak af man

this little bell sound is depressing and the melody isn't going anywhere

im sorry
>>
>>63456154
Find me some.

>>63456158
That's what I was afraid of. I fucking suck at everything trap that isn't drums. Got any suggestions on how to improve melodies and shit?
>>
>>63456254

try to learn some other songs on piano

try to learn all of the lights by kanye west ft rihanna, then make a song using the keys from that one.

for the synth sounds, try to layer different sounds on each other and play them at the same time.
>>
>>63456300
>>63456254

also arpeggios, use arpeggios
>>
>>63456300
What dumbfounds me is that the track Only by Nicki Minaj literally has less going on in some parts of the verses but yet still sounds "full", like there isn't anything missing. That's kinda what I'm going for so I don't wanna add too much stuff, ya know?

>>63456353
Like, real short blippy ones?
>>
>>63443729
>instaud.io/lp2
>>63444487
okay holy shit finally listened to it. yeah, i'll record it for you, send me tabs/whatever. i could just listen to it and figure it out but i kind of can't be fucked i guess. still got loads of work to do for uni but yeah, if you want me to i'll record it for you.
>>
>>63456606
just looked up that song. first off, holy shit it's fucking awful.

the reason that sounds so big is due to overall compression on the whole track, more spacial reverbs.

your bell sound is spacial, but if i were you, on the stereo delays you have on it, i'd cut out the lows and only have the delays delaying high end. Try push them further hard left and right too. The big subby kick thing is good. i'm not up on trap so the terminology from me will be shit.
it's maybe not as deep as it could be.

the melody of the bell is just a bit boring though. sorry to say it, it's just very amateur.
>>
>>63456606

the fullness of the sound is as some other guy here said thanks to mastering.

nevertheless, try to find some more interesting sounds.

>>63456606

they dont have to be short and blippy i was more talking about arpeggios in general, they are very common in trap.
>>
>>63456891
>just looked up that song. first off, holy shit it's fucking awful.
Oh, yeah, trust me, I know it is. I'm just using it as an example.

So less space on the bells, cut the low end on the delay, widen the delay, make 808 deeper (might not be possible since it's tuned but I'll try), fix melody.

Should I bring in any other type of synth at some point? Because right now, it's literally just that bell thing and that get's repetitive.

>>63457070
Yeah, I haven't done any mastering so that's probably why it sounds a little weak. What kind of "more interesting sounds" are we talking about? Mind giving me an example?

>they dont have to be short and blippy i was more talking about arpeggios in general, they are very common in trap.
Mind giving me an example of this too?

Thanks for all the help by the way, guys.
>>
>>63456101
you sure saved it with this post
>>
I feel sorry for people who have to learn sound design from other people, as if there's some process

Just listen to a bunch of music and you'll know what sounds weak and what doesn't. Then fuck with sounds you like until they don't sound weak. It isn't a science; there are probably an actual million straightforward methods and a bizarrely high number or basically infinite amount of obscure or roundabout ways of making full sounding shit. Stop approaching it like some science and just go for it until it sounds good.
>>
>>63457329
>It isn't a science
its not just sound design that people think is a science but the whole process

its best how you say to just go hands on
>>
>>63457184

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg9mJEE5PeQ

alot of trap uses arpeggios or interrupted arpeggios with a little hook at the end of the bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1cxP2nCBdU

i can't tell you what sounds are interesting you'll have to figure that out yourself
>>
What if Prod had a con
>>
>>63457329
>Just listen to a bunch of music and you'll know what sounds weak and what doesn't
this isn't even advice, you're basically just saying "you'll like the sounds you like"
>Then fuck with sounds you like until they don't sound weak
also not advice, that's why there are manuals and tutorials that consist of moer than "just do something that sounds gud lol"
>It isn't a science; there are probably an actual million straightforward methods and a bizarrely high number or basically infinite amount of obscure or roundabout ways of making full sounding shit
and yet you can't explain even one properly
>Stop approaching it like some science and just go for it until it sounds good.
nothing wrong with structured learning, certainly better than this "feel it in your soul maaan" approach of yours
>>
>>63450210
woah in my college we get to do sound for bands but i wish i got to do it for an orchestra!
good look anon
>>
>>63457329

it's more difficult than you think it is
>>
>>63457184
not so much less space on the bells, just filter out as much low end as possible. You want to maintain the articulate high end of the delays.

Well in regards to the 808 and making it deeper, maybe you could try a subenhancement plug-in. They're pretty good, yeah i would look out for issues in terms of it being tuned and you not wanting to create dissonance.

A pad might sound good. again i'm not big on trap so won't be able to help with that kind of style. I can only help in mixing terms.

What i said about overall compression on the track. If you have a buss compressor like the one i have included in my pic.

put it on a low ratio, average attack and release, this will give it a slight bit of balls. not a pumping effect but it will make it somewhat more "driving". It's a good way to see how the track can sound with a bit of drive. Basically use it subtly to add to the sound.

Either that or a multiband compressor. it's all good.
>>
>>63457400

And it's really sad that modern DAWs are a fucking wellspring of HP Lovecraft tier infinite cosmic magic possibility where literally anything can be done and yet people are still trying to use the same methods as everyone else instead of just experimenting with the options it gives you and making their own. This is not academics or school. You do not get points off for making shit up or straying from the YouTube tutorials. Some people will always be followers
>>
>>63457518
fucking hell, forgot the pic.
>>63457329
i don't do musical 'sound design'. i do it for film/tv/broadcast. specifically sci-fi. musically it's more of a just go for it and see what sounds good but for film it's different. still not a science but there's definite process' that have to be done
there's structure to it, reasoning behind everything.
>>
>>63457463

And yet I think the most successful and influential musicians would literally tell you "do something until it sounds good lol"

I remember Venetian Snares being asked how he did such crazily technical drumming and he said "just do it"
>>
>>63457487
Well this was just the wind band. It does kind of look like a symphony orchestra with the piano and harp in there, but there's no string section. I think the orchestra we have is a bit too conservative to work on something with electronics. I also do shitloads of new music concerts. Last week we had an improv set where one guy played a modular synth with a lyricon.

Also, the concert finished a couple of hours ago, and it went fantastic. I was early on one video cue, otherwise no hitches.
>>
>>63457562
I'n my college I get points off for doing the same old shit everybody else has done and not experimenting.
>>
>>63457794
>I'n
Clearly my college does not have difficult admission standards.
>>
>all these college fags
>I dropped out freshman year highscool
>>
>>63457864
I mean, you don't have a problem with collegefags or anything right?
>>
>>63457952
no i just think its bullshit how you have to take unrelated classes to what you want to take

its why i don't go
>>
>>63457990
It's to balance out all of the worthless stuff that college students like to take.
>>
>>63456123
>>63457518
I put a random acapella on it for the lulz.
>>
>>63458779
forgot link
https://clyp.it/wuuogxtk
>>
Sup guys. I come to you at a transitional period in my life. I have the choice of either upgrading my Macbook Pro 2007's SSD ($50) and RAM ($30) in order to run Logic Pro X ($200) or just sticking with Garageband and purchasing a bunch of plug ins like MPowersynth plugin (also $200)?
>>
>>63458851
i mainly use stock plugins so i would upgrade the hardware and daw and i never really liked melda plugins
>>
>>63458779
>>63458817
>https://clyp.it/leuelpd4
bells sound far better than. Doing the HPF also gives the subs more impact when they kick in.
>>
>>63458851
melda stuff is mostly shit
>>
>>63458851

Are you thinking that Logic Pro X will improve the way you work, or how you sound? If so, and you have good reasons to believe this, then go for it.

If not, then get the synth, because it will definitely change something, maybe for the better.
>>
>>63458996
they might be ok but their demos really put me off of their software

how it wont let you save how it looks is annoying and how it links to their website on the plugin itself was gay also
>>
>>63459006
>Are you thinking that Logic Pro X will improve the way you work, or how you sound?

Yes. Garageband is extremely limiting as far as its latest version goes. It completely stripped a lot of key features (including the ability to edit the synths beyond "attack" and "chorus" etc, as well as changing the grid on drum roll) to get people to switch to logic. It worked on me. Thanks for the suggestions, looks like I'll be learning how to open my laptop up.
>>
>>63459288
have you tried any free VSTs? You can edit synths to your heart's content with those
>>
File: 22933.jpg (70 KB, 492x321) Image search: [Google]
22933.jpg
70 KB, 492x321
hows my first trap?

https://clyp.it/5wqu5pzc
>>
File: soundgoodizer.png (621 KB, 1466x886) Image search: [Google]
soundgoodizer.png
621 KB, 1466x886
ITS NOT WORKING
>>
>>63459094
they just felt very very cheap. i've had better free plug-ins.
>>
>>63459288

2007 MacBook (pre-unibody) Pro? It's an easy one for you, just be real careful with the three very, very short screws in the battery compartment that hold the RAM cover on - make sure that you use these exact three when reassembling because you'll fuck your keyboard up if you don't. Longer screws will poke up through it and destroy it.

Oh, and the top cover comes up pretty easily once you have all of the screws out, there are clips at the very front so undo the ones at the far-right and far-left first and work your way inwards. Put tape over your headphone and audio in sockets so you don't drop a screw in there.

>source - been there done that.
>>
>>63459414
MY BASS IS SO PHAT IT HURT MY EARS
>>
>>63459548
please listen sempai https://clyp.it/5wqu5pzc
>>
>>63459548
>waves
>one knob

kek i really am impressed with waves ability to keep selling super old or gimmick plugins like these for high prices and you know people fucking buy them
>>
>>63459612
i didn't pay for it. they kept giving shit away for free on black friday. so i took it and then blocked all their emails on my inbox.

i'd never pay for something that limited. it's a true gimmick
>>
>>63459655
>>63459612
>>63459548
also

that's the joke.
>>
>>63459655
i think waves plugins are not special at all and i don't even use the free black Friday ones i got
>>
Anyone else shamelessly search their music on YouTube just to see what comes up? You can find some comedic gold sometimes.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ivasb4WuYQ
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iGSy3QlF_k
>>
>>63459809
I just realized this could be considered self-promotion. Didn't intend it in that way.
>>
>>63459809
nope, I named my project after a fucking flower, so it's all gardening videos.

track titles on the other hand...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCLpYTLIHKY is what I got when I typed in "Benta" and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OgAEIyiuUI is what I got when I typed in "Bashek"

and then some high schooler's memorial video when I searched something else.
>>
>>63460161
That first one's pretty funny actually.

Mine's almost entirely in Minecraft videos but I managed to find a makeup tutorial one lel
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVDZKpnB4s8
>>
>>63451358
>>63451421
i mean let's face it, the vast majority of music that we hear nowadays is generic as shit, in no small part due to how many shit-tier producers there are out there.
>>
>>63458851
Upgrade your RAM. Don't ever produce music without at least 8GB of ram.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.