[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I learn to like the vocals in black metal or whatever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: a1752648874_10.jpg (60 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a1752648874_10.jpg
60 KB, 1200x1200
How do I learn to like the vocals in black metal or whatever the fuck this is? I really like the instrumentals but I can't get over the fucking shrieking
What do
>>
Listen to some actually good black metal for once
If you truly cannot see the appeal of the vocals her then just give up on black metal all together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsfHJjaQGO4
>>
Listen to it more.
Think of the vocals as an instrument.
Also listen to Ulver's first couple of albums, specially Bergtatt
>>
the vocals really arent that bad
>>
deafheaven's vocals are very clean compared to some of the pioneering black metal artists. before I got into black metal I went through a post-hardcore phase, and that helped me get accustomed to more shrill / raw vocals

also youll trigger /mu/ hardcore by calling sunbather black metal, although only contrarians would call it bad
>>
Start with bands that have rough vocals but are easily listenable. You'll start to enjoy growls/screams over time.

Mastodon, Acid Bath, Electric Wizard, Melvins, Leviathan/Lurker of Chalice, Blut Aus Nord, Mgla, just to name a couple.
>>
>>63431452
Now this is certainly a bit more my speed
A bit more 'Primal Scream' than 'Blood-curdling shriek'
>>63431453
I'll try to get into that mindset
Thanks for the rec
>>63431456
Really gets under my skin for whatever reason, I dunno
>>
>>63431533
Oops, didn't see you just said black metal. Only pay attention to the last 3.
>>
Vocals add another layer of intensity to the song in my opinion. If you don't get it, then I really don't know what to say t b h f a m
>>
>>63431535
Now listen to this for shrieking vocals, try seeing it from the vocalist's perspective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7xYDk_sE2k
>>
>>63431535
imagine being the vocalist in one of these bands. It's very difficult to do and forcing that much air out of the lungs really takes a lot of effort. It sort of shows the passion and expressiveness behind the vocals
>>
>>63431394
Try getting some taste.
>>
>>63431586
Very interesting what he's doing here, I can see what >>63431453 is saying about the vocals being an instrument

>>63431533
>>63431553
Thanks, checking those out now

>>63431734
Doing my best senpai
>>
>>63431394
i hated them at first too now i love them, there is hope for you still.
like other anons said, listen closely to the other instruments and parts and really get sucked into them, and then you will start to hear the vocals as more of a background instrument and a kind of white noise element and you'll learn to love them.
>>
File: georgeclark.jpg (163 KB, 1000x664) Image search: [Google]
georgeclark.jpg
163 KB, 1000x664
Read along to the lyrics while listening. The lyrics are actually pretty well written and have some interesting themes and ideas. It'll help you appreciate the vocals more.
>>
File: 1454715577108.jpg (58 KB, 522x604) Image search: [Google]
1454715577108.jpg
58 KB, 522x604
>>63432267
>Deafheaven
>well-written lyrics
>>
Going to be honest, I had no idea there was lyrics to sunbather until I looked it up. I honestly thought it was unintelligible screaming. Even while following along with the lyrics in front of me I can't make out the words from the screaming.
>>
Exposure, that's all
>>
>>63432267
>well written
I CREEPED ON A SUNBATHING GIRL WOW SO POETIC
DYING IS LIKE SOOO BLISSFUL, AM I SHAKESPEARE YET?

fuck back off to reddit, you autist
>>
>>63431394
Stop being a faggot, that's how
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.