[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people hate this? Is it the polyrhythms? Or is it because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: Cover.jpg (1014 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
1014 KB, 1000x1000
Why do people hate this? Is it the polyrhythms? Or is it because Scaruffi likes it and he hates their favorite Beatles?
>>
Because some people don't enjoy listening to the sounds of literal insanity/madness
>>
>>63426964
because it objectively sounds like dog shit.

subjectively you can feel however you want to but it doesn't save it from overly disjointed instrumentals and extremely poorly recorded vocals that sound like the rambling of a homeless dude that didn't catch the methadone bus that previous morning.

again subjectively, thats for each person to decide for themselves

objectively it sounds like a sonic representation of Ugliness.
>>
>>63426964
People don't hate this. It's praised everywhere, and rightly so.
>>
>>63427081
>It's praised everywhere
This is why people hate it, same as anything else that's praised by a lot of critics but isn't very accessible.
>>
I hate the meme more than the music. I also hate how liking/disliking this makes everyone so rustled.
>>
Because /mu/ is full of plebs like >>63427057 who will NEVER have a good taste in music
>>
>>63427057
Ugliness can be great but this album is not ugly. Listen to Putrefaction in Progress by Last Days of Humanity. That's ugly.
>>
>>63426964
>Or is it because Scaruffi likes it and he hates their favorite Beatles?
The Beatles were huge Beefheart fans
>>
because plebtano dislikes it
>>
>>63427057
oh people who hate Trout Mask Replica are Grimes fans. I'll make note of it.
>>
The combination of unorthodox vocals, irregular song structure, and abstract lyricism, can offput the average music listener. It is these characteristics that can drive off the average music listener, more so than the opinions of music critics or the views held by the artists.
>>
>>63427160
does he?
>>
>>63427167
I like both. TMR is better than Art Angels, but I like both
>>
>>63426964
It's just not aurally pleasing to listen to
I really don't get how some people don't get why some people don't like this mess of an album, no matter how artistically important or meticulously put together it is
>>
>>63427160
he doesn't 'dislike' it, he at least acknowledges other people 'get it' more than him.

that said, he fucked up the video when he didn't mention the musical brilliance of Veteran's Day Poppy
>>
>>63427285
it is pleasing to listen to for me, though. I don't think about how carefully put-together and well-made it is, I just enjoy how the songs sound off but are still enjoyable at the same time.
>>
>>63427285
What is your opinion of Eric Dolphy's Out To Lunch? Ornette Coleman's Shape of Jazz To Come? Jazz in general?
>>
>>63427285
>It's just not aurally pleasing to listen to

This, of course, is subjective. However, while I enjoy the album, it is very possible for me to grasp why someone else may not like it. There are some instances of music where regardless of my own opinion of the music I am confused why someone would have a strong dislike for a piece of music that is by all levels at the very least completely inoffensive, but Trout Mask Replica is not counted among those.
>>
>>63427438
That would call into question why people become offended at things they don't understand.
>>
It's a nice album for when you're feeling low
>>
>>63427491
MY SMILE IS STUCK

Agreed though
>>
>>63427384
I enjoy all three of those quite a bit.
TMR just feels, personally, like everything is clashing-no harmony or melody in any of it
>>
tell me one thing you like about the album and dont say"DUDE ITS INSANITY LOL" give me one specific thing that does not make this '''''album'''''a big fat meme
>>
>>63429539
each listen feels fresh, you always keep discovering a melody you hand't noticed. the drumming is great. the bluesy feeling. lyrics
>>
>>63426964
It literally ruined music for me, everything else sounds boring and tame in comparison to it
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.