[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the beach boys are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: surfsup.jpg (154 KB, 770x770) Image search: [Google]
surfsup.jpg
154 KB, 770x770
so much better than the beatles? And they don't even get the minimum of popular recognition. More fresh, fun and beautiful songwriting, better vocals, better instrumentations, more creative and with lyrics that actually matter. Discuss!
>>
Most of everything both did are "meh" in my book.
>>
>>63420675
Both of their songs are really outdated I must confess. But the BB still manages to evoke awesome feelings through brilliant melodies and songwritting. Pet Sounds still rocks... listen to it again, anon. Perhaps it's not for you tho'
>>
>>63420726

I heard Pet Sounds just yesterday. Most of it is pretty average 60s stuff, but Caroline, No still sounds great.
>>
>>63420510
Pet Sounds is great. SMiLE is fine but is massively overrated because of the circumstances behind it. Surf's Up is mostly good but the lyrics are truly terrible at times. Everything else ranges from bad to mediocre.
>>
>>63420726
The White Album is so bizarre it still sounds fresh to me.
>>
>>63421289
Wrong. Mayflower is some of their best stuff. But yeah other than a few exceptions both the Beatles and Beach Boys sound extremely dated.
>>
This is the kind of album art I would expect from a black metal artist.
>>
>>63420796
>I heard Pet Sounds just yesterday. Most of it is pretty average 60s stuff

This is just objectively wrong. Not trying to be an asshole, if you don't like it then you don't like it and that's your taste, but this is an objectively and demonstrably false statement.
>>
>>63420510

Surfs up is a watered down abbey road
>>
>>63421660
you wish
>>
>>63421698
Come Together > Demonstration Time
>>
>>63421611
nah black metal covers are usually more ethereal with warm colors
>>
>>63421787
mate student demonstration song is the worst track on surf's up. a lot of fans wish it wasn't there. every other song is amazing though. and come together is one of the worst beatles songs.
>>
>>63421787
>he listens to surf's up without deleting student demonstration time first
>>
>>63420510
Beatles >>>>> Beach Boys
>>
what do you guys think of Love You? It's the only beach boys record I own
>>
Beach Boys have really great tracks, but they made a ton of stinkers, really bad albums. The Beatles I feel were way more consistent with their songwriting and final product
>>
>>63420796
The fuck are you saying nigga
there's nothing "average" about Pet Sounds, especially for the time it was released in
>>
>>63422641
>>63422544
>>63421787
fuck you, SDT is good. it's objectively better than Take a Load off your Feet
>>
>>63422689
It's really nice but really cheesy, which I think was its intention.
>>
>>63423041
nah. Brian knew exactly what he was doing with all the personal care and environmentalist themes of Surf's Up. then Mike Love enters the studio, hears the word "political," and thinks he knows just the tune for the album. SDT is a pretty good song but it's a stain on Surf's Up.
>>
I agree that the Beach Boys are massively underrated in terms of popular recognition -- people just kind of remember "Surfin' USA" and "Good Vibrations" and neglect the fact that the Beach Boys have a huge back catalog full of excellent, weird and experimental pop music.

BUT I wouldn't say the Beach Boys are better than the Beatles. The Beach Boys' discography is just more fun to explore because there's so much more stuff that you've probably never gone out of your way to listen to before, whereas every Beatles album has been so drilled into the public consciousness that it doesn't feel like you're "discovering" something great, you're just listening to something that everybody in the entire world already agrees is great.

That said Beach Boys' are like a B+, Beatles are like an A+
>>
>Toothpaste and soap will make our oceans a bubble bath
>So let's avoid an ecological aftermath
Stopped listening there desu.
>>
>>63423185
>Beatles are like an A+
you realize the first half of their career was disposable beat music yeah? no artist with a run of such shit albums could be A+. their psych phase was absolutely stellar but it is weighed down by album after album of trash.

same could be said about the Beach Boys I guess but the Beatles are not A+ at all
>>
>>63423058
i'll give it a listen. It's a really old printing and I noticed that on the inside there's a dedication to brian wilson, it made me pretty sad.
>>
>>63423185
>Beatles are like an A+

Let's not lie to ourselves here.
>>
>>63423300
He's still alive you know
I would even say

He'll be fine
>>
>>63420510

theyre not really better than the beatles, not even pet sounds is better than an average mature period beales record, but it makes you sound like you have a deep intelligent knowledge of music to pretend otherwise.
>>
File: 1434948449426.jpg (67 KB, 995x964) Image search: [Google]
1434948449426.jpg
67 KB, 995x964
>>63423424
>not even pet sounds is better than an average mature period beales record
>>
>>63423377
>He's still alive you know
Hardly. He's practically braindead. It's embarrassing to watch him perform live these days.
>>
>>63423377
anon no
>>
>>63423377
>He'll be fine
*hell be fine
>>
>>63423300
>there's a dedication to brian wilson

A little strange since he wrote and played on the album, but Brian was going through heavy shit at the time.

>>63423463
I think Brian is a lot more cognizant than he lets on, but he is definitely pretty fucked from his past.
>>
>>63423185
Agreed with everything but "Beatles are like an A+"
> Beach Boys have a huge back catalog full of excellent, weird and experimental pop music.
>The Beach Boys' discography is just more fun to explore

Pretty much this. That being said, I like TBB a lot more.
>>
>>63421631
>music
>objectice
You fucking popmungling normie plebfuck
>>
>>63423058
Just finishing it up, you're right. There's some great stuff on it, particularly on the second half.
>>
>Toothpaste and soap will make our oceans a bubble bath
>So let's avoid an ecological aftermath
>Beginning with me
>Beginning with you

>Don't go near the water
>To do it any wrong
>To be cool with the water
>Is the message of this song

>Let's all help the water
>Right away
>Do what we can and ought to
>Let's start today

Wow what a great band! My other favorites are HELP is on the Way and Hey Little Tomboy.
>>
File: To Hell With The Beatles.jpg (20 KB, 297x376) Image search: [Google]
To Hell With The Beatles.jpg
20 KB, 297x376
McCartney Solo/Wings > The Beatles > Harrison Solo > The Beach Boys > Lennon Solo > Wilson Solo = Ringo Solo
>>
>>63424492
Everything is pop shite.
>>
>>63424492
>>
>>63424318
It's not a question of quality. It's an objective fact. Nothing before Pet Sounds sounded like Pet Sounds. It's objectively not average for its time.
>>
Harrison Solo is actually the best.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.