[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"At the end of the millennium it becomes more and more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 12
>"At the end of the millennium it becomes more and more evident that Trout Mask Replica is the only record of rock music worth listening to."
>>
Who are you double quoting?
>>
>>63414944
Piero Scaruffi, according to google
>>
Accurate, but lick my decals off is almost as good
>>
File: image.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
image.png
490 KB, 449x401
>yfw people on here pretend to like this hipster trash just to feel better about themselves and their pahthetic lives
>>
>The High End Of Low (Interscope, 2009) and Born Villain (2012) evoked the vision of a melancholy clown forced to repeat his routine in order to pay the bills.
>>
>>63415072
What? Lester Bangs, according to google.
>>
>>63415396
well that's generally the reason people listen to music
>>
File: 1458078739055.png (1 MB, 750x741) Image search: [Google]
1458078739055.png
1 MB, 750x741
>>63415396
>pahthetic
>>
>>63415478
No people like music because it's enjoyable

With this album people are pretending to get joy from it to feel superior in some way
>>
The fact that
>>
>>63416024
do you know what the word enjoyable means
>>
>>63416024
>pretending

Speak for yourself, kiddo.
>>
>>63414929
Do people really still fall for this meme?
>>
>>63416045
Yes

why don't to just say what you want instead of being the passive aggressive faggot that you are
>>
>>63415396
I don't understand how people don't like it or find it dumb, it's beautiful, I love the record, it just does it for me for some reason, I love the guitars on it, theyre brilliant
>>
>>63416075
can you retype that in english please
>>
>>63416024
>people like something I don't, they must be pretending
>>
>>63416094
What?
>>
>>63416105
Lol antother faggot who fell for the meme
>>
>>63416113

can you retype that, in english please
>>
>>63416129
It's a great album, I play guitar so I find it very interesting and helps me think outside the box when im playing
>>
>>63416135
I HEARD YOU
>>
>>63416202
>tries to bait thread
>ends up getting this mad
>>
>>63416194
Shut the fuck up faggot I play guitar also and it's still shit
>>
>>63416202
Kek holy shit
>>
>>63416212
you must write pretty bland, generic and uninspired music then, If you play guitar and don't find TMR really interesting, I just feel sorry for you.
>>
>>63416202
Lol nice one anon
>>
>>63416230
Post some of your brilliantly original inspired guitar playing then
>>
>>63416230
Lol dude I don't write I play to seduce women you fag

I bet you can only play open chords and now you think your some kind of musical genius
>>
>>63416202
Lol
>>
>>63416210
>not understanding the genius of that post
>>
>>63416248
>>63416257
I pretty much just noodle around on my guitar in my room, sometimes I'll come up with something that's interesting and i'll write it down, I don't have any equipment to record anything properly though, I don't know why you're so mad, I just play for myself and enjoy it, that's why TMR appeals to me, it's clearly something the guy recorded just for himself without any concern for how people would respond to it, there is some interesting stuff on the album, you just have to be open to it. I mainly play 1st wave post rock type stuff like Slint and early Godspeed you! Black Emperor.
>>
File: 1455147578404.png (80 KB, 250x329) Image search: [Google]
1455147578404.png
80 KB, 250x329
>>63416299
>I pretty much just noodle around on my guitar in my room,
>I mainly play 1st wave post rock type stuff like Slint and early Godspeed you! Black Emperor.
>>
File: 1458286734860.jpg (158 KB, 572x847) Image search: [Google]
1458286734860.jpg
158 KB, 572x847
>>63416202
>>
Trout Mask Replica is a monumental experiment in irregularity and an impressive catalog of vocal acrobatics. Raucousness, gargling, heavy breathing, whispering, falsetto, etc. are needed in order to dismantle the art of singing and transform it in a degraded emission of beastly verses. The dominant instrument is the clarinet that pops up everywhere in a "hit and run" guerrilla mode.
The overall meaning of the pandemonium in Trout Mask Replica is not only playfulness, or the negation of a meaning. The allegorical messages of Van Vliet's masterpiece are multiple, hidden by layers of abstractions that allow a cosmic-metaphysical interpretation, despite the author's pretense of illiteracy. These interpretations redirect the listener toward a form of apology for madness, to the primordial stages, and to chaos, counterposed against the monolithic order of technocratic society.
Beefheart uses the Delta blues as a pretext, but dismembers its structure, rhythm, harmony, tonality and melody, and then reassembles the pieces randomly, injecting it with free-jazz and casual improvisation.
The work is so innovative and complex as to be nearly indecipherable. The rhythm section sounds so polyrhythmic that all rhythm is lost. The singing , vaguely interested in music, travels within alien universes. The guitar acts as atonal contracanto. The counterpoint of the ensemble is something halfway between the orchestral chaos of Charles Ives and the audacity of John Cage. The chaotic but rational improvisation is reminiscent of the frenetic geometry of Ornette Coleman, who in turn was influenced by Van Vliet. The heterogeneous meter that Van Vliet produces are to melody what the free poetry of the 1900's are to rhyme. But free-jazz and avant garde music are only alibis, pretexts to freely vent the leader's anarchical compulsions. The album is by all accounts an anthology of chaos in all its musical forms.
>>
File: 1437328882106.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1437328882106.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>63416210
>>
>>63414929
how would you know that if you don't listen to other rock music records?
>>
>>63416230
wow I like TMR but the fans of it are insufferable cunts. This is post is like everything wrong with /mu/.

>>63416299
Ok please tell me you're 14
>>
>>63416521
I know you're making fun of me but that image is unsettling, look at the eyes, black face is creepy af, maybe that's why liberals hate it so much
>>
File: cover.jpg (385 KB, 849x850) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
385 KB, 849x850
>>
>>63416643
mate I just play guitar for myself, I don't think i'm great or anything, I just play things I enjoy, I enjoy the guitars on TMR, how insecure are you with your self image and musical taste that you can't understand that people can enjoy different music to you, play music just because they enjoy playing it for themselves without an audience, and don't have to constantly throw a shit fit on a Polynesian paper plane building instruction forum when somebody unironically enjoys a fairly mainstream and widely praised experimental rock record, and plays fucking Slint styled shit on a guitar in their bedroom?
>>
>>63416299
>thinks TMR is a great album
>dicks around on his guitar and listens to slint and GYBE

holy shit I'm triggered at what a fucking /mu/ shill you are
>>
>>63416702
>implying I didn't enjoy GSY!BE and Slint before I started browsing /mu/

>Hurrr somebody likes musicians that are widely regarded as good musicians

Captain Beefheart, Slint, and GSY!BE are highly popular in their respective genres, get a fucking hold of yourself, you sound like a fucking high schooler or a first year college student.
>>
>>63416696
I like TMR I just think it's embarrassing that you would feel sorry for people that don't like it. All of your post seems really like you're projecting. You just remind of how I acted when I was 16 and disocvered /mu/ so it's pretty embarrassing to see. Just stop being such an asshole and grow up faggot. I wish someone would've say this advice when I was 16.
>>
I don't know how you can be a music fan and think TMR is a meme, it is one of the most influential and acclaimed albums ever made, but people on /mu/ wouldn't know that because all they read is P4K and Fantano. TMR practically invented punk rock, influenced every rock singer from Tom Waits to Kurt Cobain, even influenced some noteable jazz musicians such as Ornette Coleman.

like come on, how uneducated can you be to think the album is just a big /mu/ in-joke.
>>
>>63415396
Thanks. I'm glad not everyone is a cuck here.
>>
>>63416783
I do feel sorry for people who dismiss TMR, it's a great album and I think everybody has the capacity to enjoy to a certain degree if they are into music. I'm not projecting at all, i just honestly think it's an important album, i'm not being as asshole at all, I'm just defending my position to the asshole in this thread who started sperging out about the album being a meme and people who like it are hipster faggots who pretend to like it. why don't you stop that fucking voice of reason, holier than thou "I enjoy the album too but don't express my feelings because i'm afraid of backlash and being seen as a hipster faggot" on an anonymous vietnamese cross stitch pattern forum mentality.
>>
>>63416793
This.
>>
File: 2013-05-08 13.31.17.jpg (973 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
2013-05-08 13.31.17.jpg
973 KB, 2048x1536
I think it's a fun listen, and that 70% of the tracks are just Good Blues Songs
I'm pretty sure most people who enjoy it arent faking it, or trying really hard.
that's just my opinion
>>
>>63416861
>I think everybody has the capacity to enjoy to a certain degree if they are into music
>if they are into music
this! THIS right here. Implying that people who don't like it are "not much into music". Well let me tell you, I know people who are amazing musicians that didn't like it and I assure you they were much more into music than you. All of this judging people based on their taste is just disgusting and immature behavior that can only be accepted when you're a teenager. Sure it's an important and fine album but do you REALLY not see ther reason that people don't like it? how much disconnected are you from the real world? All your posts just make it seem more like you enjoy it for social status.
>>
>>63416954

>All your posts just make it seem more like you enjoy it for social status.

yeah because everyone just loves people who listen to TMR.

"Hey there babe, guess what my favorite album is?"
"What?"
"Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart."
"OH MY GOD, YOU'RE SO COOL, FUCK ME RIGHT NOW!!!"

^^^that's not how it would go. it would go more like:

"Uh...I've never heard of that. Can you show me a song from it?"
*plays Moonlight On Vermont*
"GIMME THAT OLLL TIME RELIJUN!!"
"Uhhh...anon are you okay? I'm not sure I want to talk to you anymore...bye..."
>>
Its the only sober and realistic rock album I've heard.

Once into TMR the rest of the rock around sounds forced.

For Van Vliet it just seemed to flow naturally, how he made of music the stage for his deranged characters to play in its beautiful
>>
>>63417001
>implying it isn't viewed as a patrician album in /mu/
>implying newfags don't want to fit in
Also you literally only ignored my entire post except one line. good job.
>>
>>63417035

you said "social status" not "anonymous imageboard status".
>>
>>63416954

>I can assure you they were much more into music than you

Holy fuck you're a moron, you go on to attack my statement, which is a fairly sound, and make a sweeping postulation like "my friends are into music more than you" without you even knowing me. I have friends who are fantastic musicians too, technically proficient on many instruments, and dazzling to watch perform, but skill on an instrument is fucking nothing when you have absolutely dogshit taste and no artistic vision. Look at people like Steve Vai and John Petrucci, or even some wanky jazz players. I don't enjoy music for social status at all, I keep what i listen to private, and I don't see a lot of my friends who are into music that much anymore, I listen to music alone in my room, I go to gigs by myself sometimes, I barely discuss music at all outside this forum. Grow the fuck up you deluded moron. I bet the people you know who are "amazing musicians" have fucking shit taste. And no, I don't see how someone who is *seriously* into music as an artform and mode of expression can dislike TMR. fuck off.
>>
>>63416194
The guitar playing is unique. not highly remarkable tho.

And definitely not what makes the album great.
>>
File: 1315549091504.jpg (26 KB, 534x432) Image search: [Google]
1315549091504.jpg
26 KB, 534x432
Pro-tip: this album is the original troll and y'all keep feeding it, it's basically the musical version of "Freddy got fingered"
>>
Is this good guitar playing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXIObTwo4b8
>>
>>63417057
Hahaha holy shit. I wasn't trying to make it as a competition of who good better musician friends. I just have a lot of friends who play Jazz and their life pretty much revolves around it since it's also how they make money. So I assume they are into music more than you, a guy who just noodles his guitar when he's alone playing some slint songs and only talks about music on /mu/.

When you'll realize there isn't such a thing as "shit taste", maybe you'll become less of an obnoxious little cunt. Like, how can you even explain someone having shit taste without saying they like stuff you don't?

>And no, I don't see how someone who is *seriously* into music as an artform and mode of expression can dislike TMR.
You really don't understand music whatsoever. I wonder if all your favorite musicians would dig TMR. I bet atleast one of them wouldn't like it. Because it's not en easy album to like, mainly because of the obvious dissonance but also the length. If one if you favorite musicians would hear TMR and wouldn't like it will you suddenly stop listening to him? Because if not then your statement above is really hypocrite.
>>
>>63417162
Yes. Compare it to the other generic garbage that was being pumped out that decade and you realize how original and interesting the structure of it is, compared to say, something like "layla" by clapton.
>>
>>63417215
I really like it compositionally but I don't play guitar, it looks difficult
>>
>>63417053
even an anonymous cantonese imageboard about french cartoons is still a society
>>
>>63417261
the fuck are you talking about now
how does one fit in to an anonymous messageboard
>>
>>63415396
I honestly see TMR as a masterpiece.

What I think that makes it so great is how down to earth it is. The compositions came from the subconscious and without any rule restricting them were intelligently put together. By listening to the music you can see how it was composed and that process is necessary to make a masterpiece.
>>
>>63417287
can you retype that in english please
>>
>>63417197
>Hahaha holy shit. I wasn't trying to make it as a competition of who good better musician friends

You clearly thought your were somehow more superior or your opinion mattered more because of it otherwise you wouldn't have

>So I assume they are into music more than you, a guy who just noodles his guitar when he's alone playing some slint songs and only talks about music on /mu/. So I assume they are into music more than you, a guy who just noodles his guitar when he's alone playing some slint songs and only talks about music on /mu/.

I've actually been playing since I was 16, had lessons for years and was about to apply to study music but I realized there is no money in it and I'd rather just do something else more stable with my life instead of wasting money on something so unstable. I play music pretty much as a release for myself, and write the occasional thing down if I like it enough after a while, music is a personal thing to me

>I bet atleast one of them wouldn't like it. Because it's not en easy album to like, mainly because of the obvious dissonance but also the length. If one if you favorite musicians would hear TMR and wouldn't like it will you suddenly stop listening to him? Because if not then your statement above is really hypocrite.

I think the musicians in bands I enjoy and listen too would at least respect it without dismissing it as a meme, or eventually like parts of it. My whole point is, if you dismiss this album as a joke or don't at least appreciate parts, you have pretty bad taste and a bad ear.
>>
>>63417315
good thread
>>
>>63417228
It wouldn't be difficult in the sense something like a steve vai piece is, it's more the timing and flow.
>>
>>63417162
Troll
>>63417215
Idiot

That guitarist is not Rollo.

He is not even part of the magic band.
>>
>>63417215
That guy fucking sucks and he is not even being original. He is playing with the same style as the guitarists in lick my decals off whose name is not worth remembering desu
>>
>>63417347
>You clearly thought your were somehow more superior or your opinion mattered more because of it otherwise you wouldn't have
I was just trying to show cases of people that are "into music" who didn't like this album. Nothing more than that. I also don't really understand how having musician friends would make me superior.

What the fuck is this reply? I expected something juicy and you just go saying this boring stuff.
>>
>>63416954
>social status
tbf that being an undercurrent of taste-development is pretty much inevitable
>>
>>63417463
kill yourself you worthless slime
>>
>>63416793
Its just semi-bait and a retard making text walls.
>>
>>63417491
haha good old /mu/. nice to be back in this shit hole. instead of practicing i'm here listening to some retards who know jack shit talk about essentially nothing. what the fuck am I doing here.
>>
man this is a shit thread

especially ruined by the fucking gaylord that isn't even that good on guitar but feels entitled to an opinion
>>
>>63417517
you are so fucking stupid it hurts. leave or stay. everyone wins either way since your life will be shit anyways with that head on your shoulders.
>>
>>63417602
what the fuck did you say about me you little bitch?
>>
>>63417517
>>63417602
u guys are funny dudes
>>
>>63417665
keep trying and failing to think of anything to say but pure shit. it's worked out so well for you in life. everyone really respects you.
>>
>>63417789
Like seriously. You don't know me, you don't know where i'm from, you don't know even what music I listen to. Do you even realize how ridicules this is? I might as well be your dad or your neighor or your best friend. But here you are acting as agressive as a duck protecting her babies from a dog just because we have a different opinion. I wonder if insulting people over the internet makes you feel better about yourself.
>>
>>63415396
>he doesn't get it

lol
>>
i like to listen to Trout Mask Replica
>>
>>63416818
How can you for a second believe that the word "cuck" fits in that sentence in any way?

Damnit I hate people who use that word, it's completely and violently retarded.
>>
>>63417860
>I wonder if insulting people over the internet makes you feel better about yourself.
only when I get a reply like this

and you will never be anyone's best friend or father. stop kidding yourself you disgusting worm
>>
>>63417930
haha keep going anon i'm entertained
>>
File: 1422206664111.jpg (68 KB, 680x574) Image search: [Google]
1422206664111.jpg
68 KB, 680x574
>>63417902
>>
Really quality thread you've here guys. Good job.
>>
File: 1403413543011.png (150 KB, 500x555) Image search: [Google]
1403413543011.png
150 KB, 500x555
>>63414929
>tfw it's 2999
>>
>>63415396
>people falling for this bait

he even posted the dumb blonde meme. How can anyone fall for this?
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 590x871) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 590x871
>>63416113
>>63416202
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.