[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BEST ALBUM OF THE 70'S
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11
File: whats going on.jpg (35 KB, 355x351) Image search: [Google]
whats going on.jpg
35 KB, 355x351
Prove to me that this album isn't the best of the 1970's
Pro tip: you can't
>>
it might be
the 70's sucked ass, i'll be honest lads
worst decade for music
>>
File: 1437892777477.jpg (19 KB, 258x196) Image search: [Google]
1437892777477.jpg
19 KB, 258x196
>>63414051
that's a nice opinion you got there lad
>>
>>63414038
pro tip: music is subjective therefore by definition noone can really prove any album to be objectively better than the other, what you meant is:

>Prove to me that this album isn't my favourite of the 1970's
Pro tip: you can't
>>
>>63414051
I refuse to let this get to me
>>
File: Rumours_FleetwoodMac1973.png (83 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Rumours_FleetwoodMac1973.png
83 KB, 300x300
>>63414038
it obviously is though
why would i waste time trying to prove otherwise
>>
>>63414088
shut up
>>
>>63414066
thanks lad

>>63414103
are you mad you can't downvote me?
>>
>>63414116
no you
>>
File: 510Vsyr21PL.jpg (61 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
510Vsyr21PL.jpg
61 KB, 500x500
I'll have my (You)s in individual posts please
>>
File: interstellar_space_coltrane.jpg (162 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
interstellar_space_coltrane.jpg
162 KB, 500x500
either this, There's a Riot Goin' On or Future Days
>>
>>63414088
music is isn't subjective you fucking idiot, there's a clear language that's used to make it, opinions on music are subjective, but were not gonna stop discussing our opinions because you want to circlejerk you idiot.
>>
>>63414051
Having lived through it, my parents agree with you.

However, the 70s birthed punk, and were the golden age of prog rock, soul and funk, not to mention the solid releases by Neil Young and Led Zeppelin. So they weren't total shit.
>>
Probably Faust
>>
>>63414159
you can call me an idiot but at the end of the day surely you cant think you're right about this? can you not understand to say that you cant prove that whats going on is the best album of the 70's is fucking retarded because what are we using to accurately measure and compare the 'goodness' of that record with say aja by steely dan for example which imo is another great record from the 70's. How would you suggest going about determining whats going on is objectively the best 70's album in a way that OP suggests is possible?

tl;dr you're a moron who clearly doesnt understand the word subjective
>>
>>63414217
>How would you suggest going about determining whats going on is objectively the best 70's album in a way that OP suggests is possible?
by whoever manages to prove their point the most, it's called backing up your claims, buddy, learn to take the dick out of your mouth and do it once in a while
>>
>>63414262
but what if two people come up with equally compelling and well thought out answers? what scale or measurement can we use to definitively conclude which is better? are you really this dumb?
>>
Anyone got any real "70s" sounding rock?

Or maybe more funky "black" music which I have no exposure in.
>>
>>63414318
You're thinking in measurements, not arguments.
>>
>>63414374
but again without any sort of precise measurement how do you suggest we determine which is better out of two albums, equally well argued for? anyone can construct a compelling argument, it doesnt necessarily make it an objective truth.

what do you consider to be the characteristics of an objectively good album? what about the characteristics of an objectively bad album?
>>
>>63414416
>but again without any sort of precise measurement how do you suggest we determine which is better out of two albums, equally well argued for?
Again, you're thinking in measurements, not arguments, and in terms of music there are no arguments that come up equal in being compelling, either you back up your point well or you fail.
>>
>>63414038

No.
You can't say that about a decade when these bands/artists were at their peak:

Neil Young
Can
Faust
Neu!
Klaus Schulze
Popol Vuh
Brian Eno
Nico
Henry Cow
Robert Wyatt
Soft Machine
The Residents
Suicide
Pere Ubu
Talking Heads
John Fahey
Television
Patti Smith
Tim Buckley
King Crimson
Van Der Graaf Generator
Chrome
This Heat
Tangerine Dream
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Public Image Ltd.
Ramones
Richard Hell
Amon Duul
>>
>>63414573
paranoid would be my no.2 pick if that makes things any better
>>
>>63414482
im pretty much done trying to reason with you if you insist on being this ignorant but actually read what i wrote. ill set this out really simply in terms i hope youll be able to understand.

picture this

one anon argues that whats going on by marvin gaye is an album in which the songs are well structured, deploy musical elements such as rhythm, harmony, melody etc. in clever and effective ways. there is good reasoning in what he writes and backs up his point with well thought out observations.

then another anon comes along and argues that headhunters by herbie hancock actually uses those elements more effectively, he also finds reasons why the same musical elements are used to great effect in that album.

the 1st anon agrees that headhunters is a good album but still prefers whats going on, 2nd anon stilll believes headhunters is better. there are good arguments for both albums being well constructed and seminal albums of the 70's. who is right, and why?

also consider does someone being able to articulate the qualities of something better than another person in a situation completely have an impact on the innate quality of the thing they are arguing for? if someone in the thread made an incredible argument for an album that is considered to be average by most people and it transpired that noone else could articulate themselves properly about other more well regarded albums by consensus would we have to conclude that the 'average' album was in fact better due to the arguments put forward?
>>
>>63414651
>there are good arguments for both albums being well constructed and seminal albums of the 70's. who is right, and why?
That's up to the individual to decide.

>also consider does someone being able to articulate the qualities of something better than another person in a situation completely have an impact on the innate quality of the thing they are arguing for? if someone in the thread made an incredible argument for an album that is considered to be average by most people and it transpired that noone else could articulate themselves properly about other more well regarded albums by consensus would we have to conclude that the 'average' album was in fact better due to the arguments put forward?
Yes. Not conclude, but reconsider.
>>
>>63414728
>That's up to the individual to decide.
so youve just admitted its ultimately subjective then.
>>
MAKES ME WANNA HOLLER
>>
>>63414051
If you were to look at the top ten radio play lists and Billboard charts of each year of that decade, I could totally understand how and why one would draw such a conclusion. I mean, Seals and Crofts, James Taylor, The Captain and Tennille, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zepplin, plus disco? Yuck! But dig beneath the surface, and you'll discover that the 1970s gave the world some amazing music. We got heavy metal, glam, punk, funk. Just got to keep an open mind. So what if it's all "Dad Rock" or "Mom Rock" now? If it weren't for albums like Killer and Billion Dollar Babies by Alice Cooper, The Dead Boys wouldn't have been inspired to put out Young, Loud, and Snotty.
>>
>>63414573
And Bowie
>>
>>63416675
>james taylor
>bad
hes got some beautiful songs t b h
>>
File: nick-drake-pink-moon.jpg (320 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
nick-drake-pink-moon.jpg
320 KB, 600x600
>>63414038
You can't prove something that's subjective, but I disagree. OP album is great though.
>>
>>63416760
weve done this whole dance, and i was shocked at how retarded this thread got

>>63414088
>>63414116
>>63414124
>>63414159
>>63414217
>>63414262
>>63414318
>>63414374
>>63414416
>>63414482
>>63414651
>>63414728
>>63414778

pretty good read t b h
>>
>>63414038
on par with Innervisions
>>
File: Folder.jpg (60 KB, 600x595) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
60 KB, 600x595
>>63414038
But I just did
>>
File: hcwj.jpg (432 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
hcwj.jpg
432 KB, 600x600
>Implying there will ever be an album as good as Here Come The Warm Jets
Music peaked with this
>>
>>63416675
>"Mom Rock"
the correct term is "mom pop", thank you
>>
>>63414038
not 70s All the Time
>>
>>63414262
>I dont understand basic principles of empiricism for 800 alex
>>
>>63414778
btfod Lel that was pathetic
>>
>>63418710
>mom pop
>mom n' pop

WHOA!!!???
>>
>>63418983
i know i alway wander if getting btfo'd like that somewhat ruins peoples day? i mean that would have made me feel incredibly stupid for the rest of the day and possibly even longer
>>
>>63414038
This album is terrible other than the singles.
>>
>>63414051

I'd agree. It's second only to the 2000s in terms of shitty, contrived aesthetics.
That said, 70s music that doesn't pander to genre clichés is usually stellar.
>>
>>63419523
its like you havent listened to music from the 70's
>>
>>63419620

I have, though. Enough to understand that I don't like many of the aesthetic conventions of the period. What would you recommend to me that might change my mind?
>>
>>63419669
well it depends what you've checked out so far but personally i love the jazz, jazz fusion, prog rock and sountracks/library music of the period....possibly my favourite decade. what sort of music do you generally like/listen to and ill see if theres any recc's i can think of?
>>
File: 1000x1000.jpg (104 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1000x1000.jpg
104 KB, 1000x1000
This is the best
>>
>>63419754

I like a lot of folk and prog, but I don't like the excesses of either genre. With folk I prefer pastoral, traditional or acoustic stuff (mainly from Europe) and I don't really like folk rock at all. Stuff with electronics in it is good too, as is psychedelic.
>>
>>63419877
ok well i think that bands from the canterbury scene like national health, caravan (i think you might like 'in the land of grey and pink' in particular') soft machine, camel, egg etc. and thats all from the 70's. i also really like this italian band called le orme - collage is a good album which is pretty acousticy yet proggy. also kraan - wiederhoren is a favourite album of mine from the 70's and gila - free electric sound is a cool psychadelic electronicy album. try checking some of that out! also try italian soundtracks and library music from the 70's people like piero umiliani, ennio morricone and stelvio cipriani sound right up your street
>>
>>63420108

Thanks for this, I've saved your recs and I'm going to dig in later on. Don't you just wish /mu/ could always be so civil?
>>
>>63420360
no worries, hope theres something you enjoy! also weirdly i find soviet/yugoslavian/eastern european prog is great for folky stuff...but yeh its bizarre to think how good it could be if people just stopped biting each others heads off over the smallest thing...i guess this is 4chan tho...but yeh nice talking to you anon good luck with finding 70's music you enjoy!
>>
>>63419669
>aesthetic conventions
Every era has shitty aesthetic conventions.

Literally ANY genre of music that you like was well represented in the 70's. It was basically a decade of "oh you want to play something like that? fine go ahead."

If you genuinely have no interest in rock, funk, soul, punk, jazz, metal, folk, or prog, then maybe yeah the 70's aren't for you. But then neither is music, period.

But if you DO like literally any of those genres, you will find "best ever" examples of them released in the 1970s.
>>
>>63419877
Do you like Pentangle? One of my favorite 70s britfolk bands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFuxq_J1VuA

>>63420108
fantastic recommendations.

i love this song btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVBfnEs7GI8
>>
>>63420672

>>63420108 here! thanks yeh i usd to think the 70's was pretty garish and all about disco and cheesy rock etc. when i was young but theres a lot of really cool stuff to check out, rock in particular got pretty freaky! but yeh i love that le orme song, not heard it before so thanks! really great band and italian prog in general is great imo!
>>
The 70s are and endless font of hard rock, you will literally never get through the list of essential releases.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO_cD_2fgUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rzxM6Z_oDQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC_lw8RE2q0
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22yzbj_flower-travellin-band-1971-satori-full-album_music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugzwH0iMxmc
>>
Argentian rock from the 70s = god tier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EojhoAvKqBA
(the slow part halfway through is so fucking beautiful it makes me want to cum)
>>
>>63420837
yep. one of my favorites is Jerusalem's s/t

http://www.aftersabbath.com/?m=0 for all your hard rockin 70s needs
>>
<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO_IyJU-ZbE
>>
File: eskimo.jpg (64 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
eskimo.jpg
64 KB, 600x600
>>63414131
this or Not Available are great choices
>>
>>63414573

This Heat's best release came out in 1981, though.
>>
>>63414573
this is why i don't get people who claim to dislike the 70s.

each of these artists represents an entire, like, subgenre with tons and tons of great albums

surely you like SOME of this stuff right??
>>
>>63416947
my nigga
>>
elton johns early 70s work is great
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.