[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anybody want to talk about how brilliant this album is?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9
File: 8460f25d.jpg (103 KB, 658x657) Image search: [Google]
8460f25d.jpg
103 KB, 658x657
Does anybody want to talk about how brilliant this album is?
Why isn't this /mu/core?
The production is out of this world
and the songwriting is pretty damn good too!
>>
Sorry but it's just a bad album. It's not that good. Songs are forgettable, mediocre, sometimes aggravating. Just don't like it

Overrated shit.
>>
>>63409878

I KNOW
funny I was just listening to this
the textures and all that good shit.
the best out of the three albums
>>
>>63409956

how the fuck
>>
don't worry sonny, in five years you'll realize that this isn't all there is to songwriting and then get into some REALLY DEEP cuts like Pink Floyd

what I'm trying to say is you're a moron
>>
>>63409956
are you retarded?
>>
>>63409878
I've been listening to this album exclusively and can finally give it a 7/10

favorites:
Unbelievers
Step
Finger back
Worship you

good album. What I expect form VW
>>
>>63409878
i think it's a great indie pop album. great upbeat stuff for when i was a high schooler.

/mu/core is a much higher standard though. it needs to be more than feel-good music. it needs to be artistic and meaningful. as much as i like this album, it doesn't have the depth or the substance to withstand time.
>>
>>63409980
The singer's voice is really aggravating and frustrating. Like I can feel his Ivy League education coming out of the speakers, I can feel that vibe of Ivy League and top college education and rich parents and absolute whiteness. There's no sense of pain or emotion behind it, it's truly hipster white pop songs. Unbelievably terrible music
>>
it's not bad but it would definitely be the worst /mu/core album by far if you put it on there, one of the least inventive albums I've ever heard and the production/songwriting aren't notable at all
>>
>>63409991
>Pink Floyd
If you can name at least ten instances of wordplay in this album, then ill recognize that you actually picked up on the subtleties of the lyrics. If you can't then your opinion is invalidated because you didn't even read the album right.
>>
>>63410018
lel

I like VW but I completely agree
>>
>>63409992
No, you just have really shit taste

Come back to me when VW makes a Kid A
>>
Am I late for the Reddit meetup? We're holding it in this thread, right?
>>
>>63410022
the subtleties of the lyrics are completely irrelevant when the music itself isn't that good

actually the lyrics are kinda annoying and I wish all these boring groups past "indie" rock's prime would stop writing garbage lyrics that make the shitty vocals even worse on top of boring music
>>
File: kornheiser coming.jpg (8 KB, 223x288) Image search: [Google]
kornheiser coming.jpg
8 KB, 223x288
i still remember the first time i heard

>if i cant trust you then dammit hannah
>>
>>63410022
Oh my God, ten WHOLE instances of WORDPLAY? Wow buddy, was I ever wrong about you. Keep up the good work defending your masterwork of an album.
>>
>>63410022
It's kind of hard to appreciate the subtleties of the lyrics when they're sung by the world's whitest boy with a silver spoon stuck up his ass and backed by your stereotypical indie white kids ensemble
>>
>>63410066
oh fuck yes
>>
>>63410022
hi I've never actually heard this album before. can you elaborate on some stuff for me? name some lyrics that you think are really good. I listen to hip-hop with extremely dense wordplay and literary devices per stanza so I'm interested in what you're saying
>>
>>63410022
You don't even know what he meant by songwriting, did you? On a somewhat related note, how fucking unremarkable would this album be to a non-English speaker lmao
>>
>>63410147
>hip-hop
>having lyrics above a high school literary level

Not him but holy shit you just destroyed yourself.
>>
i love listening to this album on my daddy's yacht, our doorman back in manhattan told me about it!
>>
>>63409878
I prefer their S/T, but MVOTC is still one of my favourite albums ever. Such a fantastic album. Some may disagree, but to me, it just feels so, right.
>>
>>63409878
The music might be a little bit bland, but the songwriting is top-tier. Ezra should write a book.
>>
>>63410184
poser detected
>>
>>63409878
>/mu/
>liking good music

they love Kanye West for fuck's sake
>>
>>63410278
>My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
>not the greatest album of the 2010s

lmfao kid.
>>
I personally do not care for VW. I think they sound really like any 2010's indie band white girls love.
>>
>>63410298
Finally, a voice of fucking reason
>>
File: 1456785454159.png (200 KB, 244x377) Image search: [Google]
1456785454159.png
200 KB, 244x377
>>63410289
>>
>>63410035
They surpassed that pseudo experimental shit by actually breaking ground every record. Radiohead's experimental qualities are recycled at best.
>>
>>63410018
I like vampire weekend but this may be the true is thing I've every read about their music. I used to hang with Colombia kids when I was in NY and yeah it's like vampire weekend songs.
>>
>>63410206
>>63410099
>>63410018
Why do you have a problem with their cultural background and use that to dismiss their music?
>>
>>63410005
/mu/ core is nothing but peer pressure

I listened to this album once and didn't like it as much as Contra or the S/T, which just absolutely adore. I'll give it another listen.
>>
Vampire Weekend are such a sexless band. I think this album has decent songwriting but it's frustrating because it is constantly undercut by how mannered and milquetoast VW are. When Ezra starts pitch-shifting his vocals and repeating "baby" on Diane Young might be the most embarrassing moment of 2013. Everlasting Arms is actually repulsive in how tame it is. You can make a well-orchestrated and tight album without completely emptying out any sense of real emotion. Whenever they try to add a little grit it just goes from a mild listening experience to a laughable one. When people use "white indie" as a pejorative they are talking about bands like Vampire Weekend.
>>
>>63409878
Personal 10 for me, really fantastic album despite what anybody says.

>>63409956
>>63410018
Here's another (you) for your collection, since it's all you want.
>>
I agree OP, incredible album, "/mu/ core" is whack
>>
File: buzgasm.jpg (53 KB, 626x532) Image search: [Google]
buzgasm.jpg
53 KB, 626x532
>>63409878
I absolutely adore this album. They take familiar themes/songwriting from past Vampire Weekend albums, give each track more room, and ultimately create a grand vignette.
>>
>>63411593
>give each track more room
how so?
>create a grand vignette.
how so?
>>
>>63410038
Underrated post
>>
File: received_1270288296322904.jpg (40 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
received_1270288296322904.jpg
40 KB, 1280x720
>>63410018
Mozart's compositions are really aggravating and frustrating. Like I can feel his elite Vienna classical tutorship coming out of the layers of harmony, I can feel the vibe of the upper class Georgian excess and rich parents and absolute whiteness. There's no sense of pain or emotion behind it, it's truly bourgeois white opera songs. Unbelievably terrible music.
>>
File: ZtaZlWj.jpg (30 KB, 395x341) Image search: [Google]
ZtaZlWj.jpg
30 KB, 395x341
>>63411683
I could write an entire essay to support my thesis but that would take longer than I'd like so I'm going to choose to ignore you.
>>
File: received_1270288299656237.jpg (36 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
received_1270288299656237.jpg
36 KB, 1280x720
The way that they seamlessly blend elements of afro beat, Congolese and west African guitar, and south African drum patterns with baroque orchestral arrangements, 60s flower pop and 80s synth nostalgia is mindbogglingly inventive.

It's like talking heads, Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel, fela Kuti, four brothers, Oliver mtukudzi and Händel all somehow had a massive orgy and the offspring themselves had a massive orgy too... MVOTC is the precocious, inbred, new England lovechild
>>
File: BUFFY WIDE EYE SURPRISE.jpg (85 KB, 288x240) Image search: [Google]
BUFFY WIDE EYE SURPRISE.jpg
85 KB, 288x240
>>63411770
>tfw when you realize anon's not even wrong
>>
>>63410018
That's pretty much the point of the album, bro. It should be called 'first world problems'.
>>
their best album by a lot. i used to really like the debut, but that has aged horrifically.
>>
>>63409878
i'm missing out
>>
>>63410005
lmao, as if /mu/ is actually that. Good bait.
>>
>>63410001
Why do people give albums a C and call it good? A C is acceptable, a D is subpar, and anything below that is all a failure to different degrees. If an album is good but not quite wowing it's clearly a fucking B.
>>
>>63413609
only mongoloids use letters in rating.
a 3 is a good album.
>>
>>63410018
this. the whole album is just predictably pretentious
>>
>>63411817
neo-/mu/, everybody
>>
MVOTC is an excellent, excellent album, and I'll fight you if you disagree. vampy weeks 4 lyf. ezra 4 prez. rip rosti batman.
>>
Inferior to talking heads
>>
I used to love VW, Contra is one a unique pop album, there's nothing else like it.

MVOTC has beautiful arrangements, but I can't recall one single song as strong as any of the songs in Contra or the singles in the S/T.

I think i'm a contra.
>>
ROSTAM BRING BACK DISCOVERY
>>
>>63413674
>predictably pretentious
just like you
>>
>>63409878

OP is obviously a producer for said album.
>>
>>63410018
>darn he's better than me i hate listening to this
>>
>>63410018
these are literally the reasons that vampire weekend is good

you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>63410147
>tfw no one ever answered me
>>
>>63419513
nobody answered you bc you phrased the question to sort of talk about yourself in it, which makes people not really want to answer it. even though I think you were just giving background on your musical tastes so that people could have more relevant responses, it came across badly.
>>
>>63419562
soo there aren't any of those lyrics
>>
>>63419493
spot the straight white male
>>
>>63419585
I'm no VW fan but I'm sure they somehow have more complex lyrics than the garbage rap you listen to
>>
>>63419623
mhm mhm

tell me more
>>
>>63419618
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rfqAkUXKT5Y
>>
>>63410018
/mu/ still got it, sums it up perfectly
>>
>>63410066
Best song on the album hands down, the first time I listened to it I felt the general malaise of being annoyed by Vampire Weekend but after that song came on I immediately fell in love. If any song made use of the album's general aesthetic/atmosphere it was this one.

Vampire Weekends best songs are their slower numbers (see Kids Don't Stand a Chance, Contra) Since its 2016 their three year album cycle is coming, I hope whatever they release has some good slow jamz.
>>
I love this album, but there are plenty of faults. The first half is 10/10, all the way up to and including Hannah hunt. Then everlasting arms happens- the blandest, most uninspiring song they've got. Finger kinda redeems itself with its second half. Worship you comes again with bland chorus and drags on. Ya Hey had so much ducking potential until Alvin and the chipmunks. Hudson is probably in the top 5 songs they've ever written, so it slightly salvage the album. It should've ended with Hudson because the lion track is unnecessary, and anow unfinished idea that ruins the mood Hudson set.
>>
>>63420926
Agreed

Songs off the top of my head:
Hudson = Hannah Hunt > Bicycle > All the okay songs that I cant remember by name (the second song on the album is pretty good I just cant remember what it's called and googling it would be cheating) >>>>Young Lion > Worship You > Fingerback

Young Lion isnt even worth remembering it only serves as a mediocre vocal exercise when I decide to listen to MVOTC in the car.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.