[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Watch a movie once >Give out your opinion already >It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (48 KB, 239x188) Image search: [Google]
image.png
48 KB, 239x188
>Watch a movie once
>Give out your opinion already
>It Ok

>Listen to an album once
>Give out your opinion already
>"U NEED TO LISTEN TO IT AGAIN"
>"U NEED TO DIGEST THE ALBUM"
Explain this stupid and retarded logic.
>>
People tell people to rewatch films all the time
>>
have you never rewatched a movie or replayed and album and came out with a different opinion?
>>
>>63403805
*an album
>>
>caring enough about what people think of your opinions to make a thread like this
>>
File: 1456038612828.jpg (150 KB, 1024x356) Image search: [Google]
1456038612828.jpg
150 KB, 1024x356
>depends on the movie
>depends on the album
>>
>>63403910
>token white character

lol
>>
>>63403770
Most films are generally meant as narrative-driven entertainment and you need only watch them once to witness the plot and gain an overall sense of the aesthetic choices of the film. Critics re-watch films many times if they want to develop a deeper insight into them. You can get a sense of the overall aesthetic of an album from one listen but if it has nuances and isn't totally accessible it generally requires repeated listens for a full understanding.

Those aren't hard and fast rules, you can listen as few times as you like, but in my experience the more listens, the better.
>>
>>63403910
i dont think there is anyone who this image doesnt offend

it offends /v/, who hates undertale
>>
>>63403910
why did you post this image
>>
>>63403770
It's not weird, people don't focus on music as much as when they watch a movie so making a judgemnent is harder

Plus music can often grow or shrink on you
>>
>>63403770
Try this exercise OP:

Listen to an album once, and then write a review of it.

Then listen to an album twice, and on the second go round, take notes as you listen. Then write a review.

The first review will be a few sentences, max, with nothing to say other than "I thought it was okay" or "I liked the guitars". The second review will be detailed and meaningful.

There's nothing wrong with a one-listen opinion, if you don't mind having shitty opinions. Most of the time I don't relisten to stuff I disliked on one listen but there have been a few albums I've done a complete 180 on and I'm glad I made the effort to relisten.
>>
>>63403770
People say that exact same thing for movies. If you're a film critic, you'll get some harsh criticism for trying to analyze a film when you've only seen it once.
>>
>>63403910
>not one straight guy or girl
Really
>>
>>63403864
the truest of memes
>>
Movies are long and boring, albums are short and cool

>thread
>>
>>63403982
>browsing /b/
lmao

btw filtered
>>
>>63404242
>newbie
>>
>>63403910
This is the right answer. There are albums you don't really need to listen to multiple times to "digest" it, and there are movies you do. If your experience is that no one tells you you need to watch a movie another time to fully understand it, then you're probably only watching easy-to-digest, mainstream films which would be the equivalent of, say, Adele or One Direction (and there's nothing wrong with that, as that's practically every film given a widespread theater release and practically every Hollywood film—not that I'm saying no such film would benefit from repeated watchings, but you are less likely to be told by other people that you *need* to re-watch such films in order to "digest" them), or at least those are the only films you're discussing with people. Whereas when it comes to music, you probably are listening to things that have had more thought put into them than mainstream, extremely accessible and non-risk-taking things that were manufactured solely to be appealing and make money. And maybe you are also discussing music with people who put thought into the artistry of music, whereas you are discussing movies with people who see them solely as sources of quick and easy entertainment.
>>
>>63404645
TL:DR
XD XD XD
>>
>>63404211
Well, technically they have Toriel as an androsexual (fancy word for attracted to men) woman, so there's at least one straight person.
>>
>>63404645
i concur
>>
I didn't like Evangelion the first time I watched it, but when I went back and rewatched it and paid attention to the characters more than the action I really enjoyed it.
Also, understanding the backstory and context of the show's creation helped a lot.
I guess people say to rewatch/relisten so you can maybe pick up on things you missed the first time through, or see something you didn't before.
>>
Movies=/=Music
>>
I don't have a problem with listening to an album multiple times, I have a problem with
>You must listen to this album 7 times giving it your full and undivided attention with these $400 headphones or your opinion doesn't mean shit
>>
>>63403961
This
>>
>>63403770
Music is abstract. Film often less so. A response to music can often be highly influenced by the context in which it is heard. Films have more narrative and structure. You become more drawn into the film due to the heavy worldbuilding. There is a clear separate universe being experienced and the characters all have their own arcs with resolutions at the end. You still may have a different reaction depending on your mood when watching films, however, and this is why many critics will rewatch films they felt conflicted about initially. It is harder to contextualise music in this way. It is not part of its own universe.
>>
It alright.

It not subtle or nuanced. It tasteless and lukewarm.

But IT ALRIGHT...
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.