[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>person in apartment next to me is blasting "Smells Like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Nirvana.jpg (108 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Nirvana.jpg
108 KB, 800x600
>person in apartment next to me is blasting "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are" on repeat.
Why is this pleb shit allowed?
>>
>>63520620
>why is it allowed to let people listen to what they like?
>>
>>63520620
I personally find it disappointing that Kurt had such a clear vision of reducing indie rock to its most minimalistic form and then relying on sheer power/presence... stripping away potential layers of beauty and sonic experimentation in favour of immediacy. His songs were fantastic, but the guitar + bass + drums setup just gets so fucking tiresome after hearing it for so many years. If the dude really truly cared about music/his legacy, he would have realized that his songs deserved way more attention to detail than they were given on the records he released in his lifetime. I mean, there's strings on a couple songs, the In Utero period has a few additional guitar tracks and stuff, but overall it's the same generic setup that, at the time, was really refreshing, but 20+ years on just sounds so goddamn boring.
>>
I always blast Ukrainian black metal whenever the girl who lives next to me is fucking her chad boyfriend
>>
>>63521313
>more is better
>>
>>63520620
Blast back with something more disturbing. Do it!
>>
probably sitting to the next president, tbqh
>>
>>63521361
Well, he certainly accomplished what he set out to do. I'm just saying, 20 years of hearing it, and it sounds boring af.

Soft rock from the 70s with layers of rhythm section and inventive use of post-effects still sound incredible even when you're forced to hear them every single fucking day. I play guitar, I make "guitar music", believe me... I get it. I'm just saying, maybe threads like this wouldn't exist if Nirvana's records were crafted with a little more care. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are" should be songs for the ages, they're both absolutely brilliant pop songs, but instead they now sound boring and dated because they were so inherently 90s.
>>
>>63520620
Just blast "More Than a Feeling" and "Eighties" louder than him.
>>
>>63520620
Sing along
>>
>>63521498
>Well, he certainly accomplished what he set out to do
Then it's successful and "good" art.
>I'm just saying, 20 years of hearing it, and it sounds boring af.
That is not the problem with the music; it is literally your fault for overexposing yourself and getting desensitized
>>63521498
>Soft rock from the 70s with layers of rhythm section and inventive use of post-effects still sound incredible even when you're forced to hear them every single fucking day
Which also sound dishonest. Overproduction is disingenuous
>I play guitar, I make "guitar music", believe me...
What a coincidence, I do to, for the past 20 years. How about you?
>I'm just saying, maybe threads like this wouldn't exist if Nirvana's records were crafted with a little more care
Or maybe they wouldn't exist if you didn't have a bias to believe what music should or should not be.
>"Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are" should be songs for the ages
They are, since people are still playing them day in and day out (see OP)
>>
>>63520620
If you don't blast Territorial Pissings back at them right now you're a faggot.
>>
>>63521603
Lol whoa, you a Kurt superfan or something?

There's plenty of recorded live performances for people to hear the 'real' Nirvana. I'd personally enjoy a little more from their recordings... the songs are all muscle, which suit the guitar + bass + drums setup, but his songwriting simply transcended indie rock while the instrumentation did not. He was writing songs for the ages (as we can all plainly hear 20 years removed), but recording them as if they had a shelf-life. That's literally all I'm saying.

I've been playing guitar for 10 years, so you have me there. I honestly think playing the same fucking songs the same way over the years was a key contributor to Kurt taking his own life - his arrangements gave him absolutely no room for breath or error and he had to be on it every single night delivering the same basic riffs. They hired another guitar player (who barely added anything tbqh), but all the weight was still on Kurt's shoulders. I would hate to play those songs every night. The guy could have kept pushing things further if they let him focus more on his lyrics & vocals, and had other musicians contributing to the music, or by having my layer his ideas in a more modern way. The muscular guitar arrangement to their music is vital in indie rock, but his writing was on a different level. Maybe he just didn't recognize it, or maybe he only knew one way to write music... I don't know.

>Or maybe they wouldn't exist if you didn't have a bias to believe what music should or should not be.

yeah, you're right there. I'm placing my own bias on someone else's work, which isn't fair, especially so many years later... but I do think Kurt being immortalized as some "rock god" or "troubled poet" genius-type is to overrate what he actually accomplished as an artist. All he gave us was a promise, a massive fucking ton of potential ready to be unleashed on the world, and instead he walked away from it all and left the world guessing what might have been.
>>
>>63521978
>but his songwriting simply transcended indie rock while the instrumentation did not
>the more the better
Back to this again?
>his arrangements gave him absolutely no room for breath or error and he had to be on it every single night delivering the same basic riffs
I feel like you don't know anything about Nirvana
>I don't know.
I agree with that!
>>
File: 1458563382010.png (2 KB, 230x241) Image search: [Google]
1458563382010.png
2 KB, 230x241
>>63521545
>>
The best thing to do in these situations is play the exact same songs they're playing on a delay of about 2 seconds until they get annoyed at every lyric being repeated and shut their shit off.
>>
>>63521545
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RmMry47MCg
>>
>>63522075
Weew ok lad, guess you are a huge fanboy then.

I love Nirvana, but they found themselves in a sort of musical purgatory; they weren't fun and fizzy as acidic sodapop like Pixies, not as 'arty' as Polvo or Archers of Loaf, not as indebted to classic rock as Soundgarden or most other grungers, and not as primed for pop radio 10+ years down the road as Pearl Jam. They recorded sterile rock music that would have failed if the songs themselves weren't so strong. I just wish they aimed higher, is all. I imagine they likely would have if they kept making music, though.
>>
>>63522829
>hey recorded sterile rock music
Clearly they didn't, because see >>63520620
>I wish it wasn't minimalist punk rock, which is exactly what the artist intended
Yikes.
>I just wish they aimed higher, is all
But that's the point. It doesn't need to be higher, and they were attempting to deconstruct the overproduced rock sound. Not everything needs to sound like fucking Journey.
>>
>>63521432
Yeah like DEATH GRIPS hahahahah! Takyon! O shit IM FEELING IT! xD
>>
>>63520620
Tell him to play Scentless Apprentice or On A Plain. He should at least vary it up a bit.
>>
>>63521314
thanks for giving us a killer soundtrack to fuck too
>>
>>63522988
>>63523400
>>63522111
checked
>>
>>63522988
Deconstructing the overproduced rock sound=/=not using any of the same sounds. Try again retardo.
>>
>>63522988
I hope you realize that when I say 'sterile' I'm referring only to the hyper-clean production on Nevermind. Plebs loved it because there was no unwanted noise and clear/upfront vocals. They were a punk/indie rock band that sounded castrated on record. These are GREAT songs that are almost singlehandedly destroyed by their terrible over-production. Production isn't just adding effects my brother, it's how its recorded, mixed, and mastered. Nevermind sounds dated af because they sucked the life out of a band that relied entirely on their liveliness.

I wish it was noisier, I wish it was more abrasive, I wish it had more sonic layers... obviously that wasn't the artist's intention, but that's not what I've been talking about this whole time - I'm talking about listening to these songs on March 23, 2016. OP is mad because he has to hear the same soulless interpretations of some pretty darn good indie rock songs.

Also, I most definitely was not talking about Journey. I get that Nirvana wanted to sound like 3 dudes, and they did. But if you want to add to the great American songbook, it needs to be more than that. It's not about you as an artist, or your band, or your image. It's simply about the songs. Another 30 years and these songs won't matter to anyone, anywhere. Whereas they could have had a longer impact on culture if they just did a little more.
>>
>>63520620
Blast Creep
>>
>>63524267
>to the hyper-clean production on Nevermind
So you are cherry picking?
>singlehandedly destroyed by their terrible over-production'It's just literally them playing live in the studio with a handful of guitar overdubs. It's a straightforward recording.
>Nevermind sounds dated af
Which is why its one of the top albums of the last 20 years? not likely
> I'm talking about listening to these songs on March 23, 2016
Yeah, it sounds fine.
>soulless
It wouldn't be played over and over if it didnt have soul, my anon.
>But if you want to add to the great American songbook
Is that what they wanted to do? Or did they just simply want to play in a band? It's the later, if you haven't figured it out.
>>63524102
Nice strawman
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.