[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I listened to this expecting it to be like middle school shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: 81zjG2LRWJL._SL1431_.jpg (292 KB, 1431x1256) Image search: [Google]
81zjG2LRWJL._SL1431_.jpg
292 KB, 1431x1256
I listened to this expecting it to be like middle school shit but honestly it's fucking amazing.

I have a few problems with it though. What does /mu/ think of it?
>>
pop goes industrial vol 3
>>
>>63396914
hella fucking epic. Trent is great. never cared for the later NIN albums. but his Film scores are really good
>>
his best synth tones, and not his worst lyrics. I like it too.
>>
>>63396951

>GOD IS DEAD
>AND NO ONE CARES
>IF THERE IS A HELL
>I'LL SEE YOU THERE
>>
>>63396914
Trash lyrics

Everything else is phenomenal
>>
>>63396935
What's vol 1 and 2?
>>
can't stand Trent's vocals when he yells
>>
>>63397658
pretty hate machine, broken
>>
File: CKvx9o2VEAAf2Zb.jpg (57 KB, 600x528) Image search: [Google]
CKvx9o2VEAAf2Zb.jpg
57 KB, 600x528
>>
>>63396914
>it's fucking amazing.
>I have a few problems with it though.
I agree with both.

Nine Inch Nails is "dumbed down" industrial music, stripped of everything that was too experimental to appeal to a wide audience. But that's just a gripe industrial fans have with the band in general; The Downward Spiral is really great within that genre. The concept, the sounds used, the melodies and moods are spot-on.
>>
>>63397621
Considering the genre, I wouldn't expect anything else
>>
>>63396914
>I have a few problems with it though

pls elaborate

>inb4 muh lyrics muh edginess
>>
>>63398146
there is a lot of really interesting sound design stuff going on, even if it isn't as extreme as "real" industrial
>>
>>63398669
Yeah, I agree with you.
>>
Same here OP, I listened to it for the first time a few months ago and I've been fascinated with the album ever since.
By the way, why do so many people dislike Heresy? I'm starting to think it's only because of >>63397544, because I can't find anything wrong with the song.

>>63398146
How exactly are NIN dumbed down? I listened to older industrial/industrial rock such as TG, SPK, Foetus or Chrome before I gave NIN a listen and I don't understand why Trent's work has such a bad reputation among industrial listeners.
>>
>>63396951
Just out of curiosity, what would you consider his worst lyrics? All I've listened to is PHM and TDS and the lyrics were okay, but nothing phenomenal. Those albums were very good though.
>>
>>63396914
it's ok at best, pretty overrated. the fragile is really the only good NIN album
>>
>>63398146
This onion is kinda stupid. Industrial rock artists arent trying to make completely experimental music. They're trying to create the sound of industrial that compliments the restrictions and simple conventions of rock music.
>>
The only problem I had with The Downward Spiral was the long static at the end of Hurt. Thread after thread, majority agrees it's the best NIN and many good cases have been made for this.

TDS has an identity, nothing sounds out of place and nothing else would in his discography would sound right in it.

The Fragile is a great work of art and a lot of his most beautiful and meaningful songs are on it, but there are too many highs and lows for it to be as consistent as TDS.

With TDS the concept of the album is clear, and you're visited by every horror that accompanies Trent in detail. No stone is unturned.
>>
File: 1457859163389.png (417 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1457859163389.png
417 KB, 640x480
Cuck me like an animal
>>
>>63398912
>How exactly are NIN dumbed down? I listened to older industrial/industrial rock such as TG, SPK, Foetus or Chrome before I gave NIN a listen and I don't understand why Trent's work has such a bad reputation among industrial listeners.
Dumbed down isn't a very good way to put it, but it's taking away a big part of what made industrial special in the first place — the very dark, dissonant tracks that don't sound quite human — and replacing it with much less adventurous rock songwriting.

I don't mind it, it just fills in a gap between the two and does it well, but I can understand people not liking the idea of it.
>>
>>63396914

awesome it is........
this is what ...it fills life

this is what it feels like
>>
>>63398964
Not anon you responded to, but I actually like the lyrics on this album. The sound like the half baked ramblings of a man on drugs considering suicide, which fits the tone.
>>
My favorite album
>>
>>63396935
>Downward Spiral
>pop
>underage detected
Wait, are you kids allowed to surf blue boards? My bad, boyo

>>63397621
>trash lyrics
compared to?

>>63398974
>only good album
stretch, though the Fragile is his best, probably

>>63400429
>The Wretched?
>as in from The Fragile?

>>63396914
The Fragile is his best album, according to "hardcore" fans, but that is because many of them like to bitch and moan about how his newer stuff isnt as unlistenable as his old material. The Fragile is definitely not super radio friendly.... slower builds, unconventional song structures.

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4lTMOmH8Dw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNI12hvKsxI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6vGiH37lwE

With Teeth is a really good album, minus the title track. Literally every other song on that album is phenomenally better.

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcmhd7srRl8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Aj9_8t1eQc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDsqpeiTqg8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXv0Fd2W2Mc
>>
>>63402491
Fuck me, i posted the "Only" video. Cool video, but that version is censored
>>
>>63399606
tell me you've heard the 'quiet' version of Hurt then?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.