[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>there are ACTUALLY people on /mu/ RIGHT now who DON'T
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: piero.jpg (7 KB, 209x204) Image search: [Google]
piero.jpg
7 KB, 209x204
>there are ACTUALLY people on /mu/ RIGHT now who DON'T take scaruffi's word as GOSPEL

wtf
>>
i just trust a winning smile desu. everything that must come out of it is the opinion of god.
>>
File: image.jpg (392 KB, 1441x995) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
392 KB, 1441x995
A L P H A
>>
>>63388082
wtf is he
>>
>>63388082
none of them are 12 years old tho
>>
>>63388052
>not wanting to fuck scaruffi
fucking plebians tee-bee-haych eff-aye-ehm
>>
>>63388119
they were
>>
>>63388107
he's a god, he's a man, he's a ghost, he's a guru
>>
>>63388107
He is a man who possesses a higher form of consciousness.
>>
>>63388132
no
>>
>>63388162
or is he possessed by a higher form?
>>
>>63388171
alright ill keep it
>>
File: image.jpg (409 KB, 800x541) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
409 KB, 800x541
post rare scaruffis
>>
>>63388239
whoa
this is an entirely new era of scaruffles
>>
the
>>
hello
>>
can you read this?
>>
what's his height
>>
Yes there are. I'm one of those. Scaruffi is nothing but an academic who doesn't understand shit about music. He only writes short paragraphs about most albums. Even the stuff he gives 8 and 9.
Like most academics he is a tag freak, and obsessed with influences. That doesn't mean shit to me, because what matters is the actual music, not the tags.
I share many albu favorite albums with Scaruffi, but i still think he doesn't say anything remarkable about them.
He's like a more complete version of wikipedia of popular music. Nothing more.
>>
>>63388082
i want to get scaruffi'd
>>
>>63388082
you just know
>>
>>63391213
yeah he says only a brief paragraph or two for every album... which amounts to basically every notable album from the last 50 years
>>
File: crawlspace sphereality.jpg (31 KB, 295x279) Image search: [Google]
crawlspace sphereality.jpg
31 KB, 295x279
Even if you don't like his opinions, or think he's not very smart, you have to admit he is an AMAZING resource for finding music that you never would have heard of before.

Like, forget his best of lists--if you read his actual books (which are all available on his site), "The History Of Rock/Dance/Pop Music" and all that, and just skim them or ctrl+f to look for interesting or weird genre combinations, you will find some cool shit. And most of the time when you're reading one of his books you can just click any artist name to be taken to his rating page, so you can see which album he gave the highest score to start with, or just read the descriptions of each album...

like for example I discovered pic related yesterday through him. I got it by searching for psychedelic jazz in his history of the 90s. this album is "psychedelic free jazz/rock" and even though HE only rated it a 7/10, I think it's fucking amazing, one of the best things I've ever heard, and if not for him I wouldn't know about it, because he spent SO MUCH TIME compiling his books on music throughout history, for so many countries and genres.
>>
>>63393367
yeah it's a shame so many people completely write him off. he has pretty solid opinions on music and films
>>
He has kinda shit taste.
>>
>>63395367

t. a Beatles/Beach Boys fan.
>>
File: (not true, by the way).png (454 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
(not true, by the way).png
454 KB, 700x525
The fact that so many Americans still believe it should be illegal to marry a 12-year-old only tells you how far America still is from becoming a serious culture. The Europeans have long recognized that the greatest relationships of all times are between male adults and female adolescents, who are the most biologically fit to produce offspring, as well as the most physically attractive. Followers of the Muslim faith rank the highly controversial Aisha over all of their prophet Mohammed’s other wives, who were far past the prime age for reproduction. Americans are still blinded by puritan values. Adult females are more mentally developed than adolescents (not true, by the way), therefore they must be the greatest partners. Europeans engaged in relationships with adolescent European girls in the middle ages, radical Islamists engage in relationships with adolescent Muslim girls in the present. Americans are often totally ignorant of the virtues of relationships with adolescent girls, they barely know the biological benefits. No wonder they will think that sexual relations with 12-year-old girls should be criminalized.
>>
his poetry has actually really moved me. if you have the time please read some of the stuff on his website
>>
>>63397759

sup Scaruffi
>>
>>63397759
it's a weird kind of poetry that alternates sequences of images and schizophrenic conversations
>>
Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence (7/10)

Radiohead - Kid A (6.5/10)
>>
File: 1456976763312.jpg (85 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
1456976763312.jpg
85 KB, 700x525
>>
>>63388052
He's very useful for having assembled an archive of enjoyable music that popular audiences and mainstream critics often overlooked, but his ignorance of even basic music theory/composition colors his perceptions in really obvious ways sometimes.

Granted, he is by no means unique among popular music critics in not understanding his subject matter on a technical level, but he is by far the most vocal when it comes to making ridiculous claims about how Lou Reed is a more sophisticated composer than Paul McCartney.

When he's writing about something he likes, rather than something he doesn't understand, he can be enjoyable and even insightful on occasion. His Krautrock chapter, for example, contains more interesting commentary than Julian Cope's entire book.
>>
>scruffy will never be your grandfather you travel and discuss music with
sad feel bros

>>63399114
correct
>>
Look here's his earliest best albums list!

https://web.archive.org/web/19991113115603/http://www.scaruffi.com/music/best100.html

>Daydream Nation in his top 20
>Tago Mago at number 29
>Ummagumma up there too

cool!

also worth noting the last album on the list... very interesting
>>
>>63398914
I'm being serious its great
>>63398940
A lot of what I read was sort of cosmic
And one of them simply stated he couldn't fathom how little anyone cared.
It was really brilliant
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.