[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is R.E.M so good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (193 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
193 KB, 770x433
Why is R.E.M so good
>>
Have you ever seen them live?
>>
cosmo wright was in a band?
>>
>>63380859
No but I'm assuming you have?
>>
>>63380859
I never got the chance, do tell.
>>63380839
It's pretty emotionally charged music. Good when I was a teenager, but as I get older I find the appeal lessens for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RokyGRQP0no
This is usually my favourite
>>
They were all musically gifted but lost their mojo after Bill left

Would've loved to see them live
>>
>>63380839
They just are, definitely my all time favorite band.

>>63380859
Hell yeah I did. It's still my favorite show I've ever been to.
>>
>>63381448
They still had a couple solid albums after Berry left. They were bound to start losing steam by that point anyway, they'd already been around so long. I think Up and Accelerate in particular are very underrated.

And their live shows never lost a step after he left either.
>>
>>63380839
They were great up until Monster, then took a nose dive.
>>
The only reason they get so much shit for just a few mediocre albums is because of how popular they became post-Automatic. If they'd stayed alternative no one would have gave a fuck. Also The Rolling Stones have released pure crap for almost 40 years and get a free pass on their legacy alone
>>
>>63382127
I will literally fight people who say Monster is shit. It's so misunderstood :(

Really, they should've called it quits when Berry left. Nothing after that was as good as anything before.

Still, probably my favorite band.
>>
>>63382265
>Really, they should've called it quits when Berry left. Nothing after that was as good as anything before.
No way, Up actually has a few of their prettiest songs.
>>
>>63382611
Give me specifics. I've delved into Reveal a little bit and respect it, but never really messed with Up or Around the Sun.

I've basically obsessed over everything b/w Green and New Adventures in Hi-Fi, though, and don't really feel like any albums before that even need to be defended. Classic stuff.
>>
>>63382688
At My Most Beautiful is gorgeous.
>>
>>63382736
After listening, I wouldn't call this bad. I like the sentiment they're going for and the drum work is nice. Still, it feels like trying too hard.
>>
>>63382899
>I wouldn't call this bad.
damn straight it's not
>>
File: rem.jpg (16 KB, 468x360) Image search: [Google]
rem.jpg
16 KB, 468x360
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpvmBno0mJ0
>>
>>63382265
I don't see the appeal in Monster
It had a few solid tracks but compared to their previous work its so bland and derivative
>>
>>63383100
The song about Kurt was really really good
>>
>>63380839
I don't know but it's pretty hard to think of another band who made a better uninterrupted string of records than Murmur, Reckoning, Fables, Rich Pageant and Document.
>>
>>63383134
They did Let Me In when I say them, one of the surprising highlights of the show t b h
>>
>>63382265
I posted that about the nose dive. I love Monster. AFTER that they started really being lame. Their lyrics started getting cringe and they just kept recycling the same songs over and over. At least they could've went into another period without the guitar. They stopped being creative.
>>
>>63383100
What made it click for me is conceiving of it as glam rock. Listen to some T-Rex records and come back to it.

After I did that, its themes became so obvious and synonymous to me, and I realized they were really saying something important.
>>
new adventures in hi-fi is the best album that no one talks about

seriously its a 9/10
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY2XyOqWmxs

Rate my cover /mu/ :^)
>>
Can we all agree that imitation of life is the best song post-monster
>>
>>63383267
I prefer reckoning myself not a lot of people talk about that either
>>
>>63383333
No but it's a great song anyway.
>>
>>63383333
yes
>>
I like them but they are also my dads favorite bad so i can't disassociate the two.

He also likes ALL of their albums and would play them in the house and car all the time while i was growing up. Even the bad ones.

cant wait to have kids one day so i can do this to them with anco.
>>
>>63380859
Saw them play a song with johnny marr when he was in modest mouse and they were all touring.
Pretty great moment.
>>
>>63383333
>best song post-monster
pick a song at random from New Adventures In Hi-Fi and it is better than "Imitation of Life"

>>63383267
my man. hell, i'd probably put NAIHF in my top 5 R.E.M. albums, maybe even top 3.

1. Fables of the Reconstruction
2. Document
3. Reckoning
4. New Adventures in Hi-Fi
5. Automatic For the People

well ok, so not top 3. but it was close
>>
File: 1457669237308.gif (2 MB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1457669237308.gif
2 MB, 320x320
>>63383074
>>
Because they released the same song several dozen times and nobody has the balls to call them on it
>>
My dad loved R.E.M. so much and passed away from cancer over a year ago and I still have a hard time listening to them - few bands have so much emotional pull for me as R.E.M. every song reminds me of a memory. I still remember seeing the cover of Reckoning and being drawn to it while my dad put the CD on for a long road trip.

Bless you, R.E.M.
>>
>>63385715
Good stuff, I might as well do a ranking now.

1. Automatic For The People
2. Murmur
3. Reckoning
4. Green
5. Out Of Time
6. Lifes Rich Pageant
7. Fables Of The Reconstruction (Of The Fables)
8. New Adventures In Hi-Fi
9. Document
10. Up
11. Monster
12. Reveal
13. Accelerate
14. Around The Sun
15. Collapse Into Now
>>
>>63385883
This makes me sad. I hope you find peace and will be able to listen to R.E.M. again.
>>
File: 1447368239769.jpg (41 KB, 640x616) Image search: [Google]
1447368239769.jpg
41 KB, 640x616
>>63385854
>Because they released the same song several dozen times and nobody has the balls to call them on it
>>
i met mike mills once and he was so awesome, love rem and him
>>
>>63380839
Because pop rock appeals to the masses.
>>
File: R.E.M._-_Monster.jpg (33 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
R.E.M._-_Monster.jpg
33 KB, 300x300
>whats the frequency kenneth?
>crush with eye liner
>i don't sleep i dream
>strange currencies
>tongue
>bang and blame
>you

seriously, why is this album so fucking underrated
>>
By coincidence I just started listening to them this week and started at the beginning of their discography.

I'm surprised by how similar their music is to The Smiths. Never would have expected.
>>
>>63386972
R.E.M. 1983-88 >>>>> The Smiths
>>
>>63386991
rong
not a single one of rem's songs are better than a Smith B side
>>
>>63386972
>I'm surprised by how similar their music is to The Smiths
It's more like the other way around. Anyway, glad to hear it, I wish I could hear them for the first time again.

You start with Murmur or Chronic Town?
>>
>>63387029
other way around
>>
>>63387029
wrong

Anything from the IRS-years >>>>> Hatful of Hollow
>>
>>63387062
>>63387056
>>63387034
>>63387029

Didn't mean to turn this into an REM vs. Smiths thing. I like The Smiths a lot and I find REM's music a bit easier to get through on first listen. The Smiths took a long time to grow on me. They're different bands, to be sure, but I can sort of picture Morrissey singing REM songs and Michael Stipe singing Smiths songs.

I started at Murmur and I'll work through the studio albums first. I've only listened to it and Reckoning so far.

Do you guys recommend any particular mixes? I listened to the first-run CD mix for Murmur and the deluxe edition Reckoning mix.
>>
>>63387098
>Didn't mean to turn this into an REM vs. Smiths thing. I like The Smiths a lot and I find REM's music a bit easier to get through on first listen. The Smiths took a long time to grow on me. They're different bands, to be sure, but I can sort of picture Morrissey singing REM songs and Michael Stipe singing Smiths songs.
Usually somebody winds up bringing The Smiths into an R.E.M. thread. It's normal to compare them though, both being great bands with (somewhat) similar styles. I think the further you go in R.E.M.'s discography the more you'll realize how much they differ from The Smiths, especially if you've only listened to Murmur and Reckoning at this point.

Chronic Town is masterful, so definitely be sure to check that out when you can. It's the perfect lead into Murmur.

I'd say just listen to the original albums first, then make your way through the deluxe editions if you start becoming a huge fan.
>>
>>63387098
When i started listening to the smiths it was just "Heaven knows I'm Miserable Now" and "William It Really Means Nothing" but now (about a year later) I Like almost all of it and Suffer Little Children is my favorite; However, I liked pretty much all of at after the 2nd or third week.
>>
>>63386965
There's also Let Me In, one of my personal highlights.
>>
I've never listened to an REM album from after Automatic for the People. Are any of them worthwhile?

BTW Reckoning is their best
>>
>>63387979
I'd say every one of them with the possible exceptions of Around The Sun and Collapse Into Now are worth listening to at least once. A few of them are great.
>>
>>63385559
same
>>
>>63387979
>farewell my harbooooooour coat....
>>
>>63383100
Monster isn't my favorite but it has an amazing closing track
>>
>>63387979
Every one of them has something good from it. My least favorite is Around the Sun but even that has this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAZbtzK8RHQ

My favorite post-Berry album is Collapse Into Now. They really made ended their career with a bang, and I knew they would. Give that one a shot if anything.
>>
>>63387979
id say murmer and reckoning are the top 2
>>
my only experience with them is Losing my Religion and i loved that song.
did they make more songs like that or is LMR the exception in their discography?

i hate to discover a great song and then find out that it was the only decent song the band ever made.
>>
>>63389742
I'd start by listening to that album (Out of Time). If you like it, listen to everything else
>>
>>63389742
>>63389776
oh, and i think you'll like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XRyEkOfQSg
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.