[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys listen to electronic music? It seems like most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 2
File: nic.jpg (11 KB, 198x254) Image search: [Google]
nic.jpg
11 KB, 198x254
How do you guys listen to electronic music? It seems like most of the best stuff isn't in album form. Do you just make playlists for certain styles? Do you just listen to mixes?Where do you generally find it/download it? Also, general bleep discussion.
>>
EPs, singles and mixes by artists i like or featuring artists i like

there's plenty of essential /bleep/ albums though
>>
>>63379194
mostly just listen to tunes but if you want the same kind of power that an album has out of electronic music then u need to listen to mixes
>>
>>63379194
> It seems like most of the best stuff isn't in album form

Hip hop, ambient, synthpop, musique concrete, Industrial, downtempo, pbr&b is
>>
>>63379245
yeah for sure, i'm just talking about the other artists who arent like that i guess.
>>
this reads like /spoonfeed me/ general

it ain't rocket science lad lol
>>
>>63379391
i mean i've been listening to this kind of music for a bit, i'm just curious about how other people find and organize their music.
>>
>>63379383
So you meant what? Techno? House? Not all styles of electronic music?
>>
>>63379437
yeah basically. the kinds that are more based on singles, mixes, and labels than LPs
>>
i just listen to the singles/eps.
i mean its really not that hard.
>>
>>63379565
In Europe we call that dance music.

Electronic music is everything made with electronic instrumentation.

Just call it dance music.

>How do you guys listen to electronic music?
Singles and mixes

>It seems like most of the best stuff isn't in album form.
Yep

>Do you just make playlists for certain styles?
Not generally, cba desu

>Do you just listen to mixes?
Mostly I do yeah

>Where do you generally find it/download it?
Install Soulseek
>>
>>63379613

or you can call it electronic music
>>
>>63379680
Thats retarded because he didn't mean electronic music which includes but not limited to;

Electroacousmatic
Onkyo, EAI and tape music
Musique concrete
Industrial
Hip hop
Techno
House
Breaks
Trance
Garage
Ambient
Downtempo
Synthpop
PBR&B

He only meant dance music.
>>
Any recs for me? I haven't penetrated past the memetronic atrists (Nicolas Jaar, Andy Stott, Tim Hecker, OPN, Koreless)
>>
>>63379749

you can still call it electronic music i mean outside of some people on /mu/ nobodys has a problem with that term.
>>
>>63379749
just electronica then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronica
http://www.allmusic.com/subgenre/electronica-ma0000002574
>>
>>63379811
This isn't outside of /mu/ and saying electronic music could mean he wants to talk about Taylor Swift, of Stockhausen, maybe Nine Inch Nails or Kanye West. If he said dance music we'd know he meant techno, house, breaks, garage, trance.

>>63379814
I have no problem with electronica desu, its better for this small group of electronic genres, more precise.
>>
also, is it just me or is rym really bad for most electronic music?
>>
>>63379893
For dance music? Yeah, it's terrible for it.
>>
>>63379871

rock n roll is dance music pop music is dance music most music is dance music desu
electronic music is a better umbrella term
>>
>>63379893
http://nodata.tv/
https://hardwax.com/
>>
>>63379893

use discogs
>>
>>63379961
This is why I said earlier in Europe thats what we call it, pardners should just not even try and stick to memerap and EDM.

>muh Daft Punk, Justice and Aphex Twin
>>
>>63379962
>>63379973
thanks
>>
>>63379980
lol, you can try to be as "cool" as you want mate, but aphex twin is really important to dance music and not nearly on the same level as justice and daft punk.

it's just you equating a contingent of his neck-beard fans with his actual output.
>>
>>63379980

oh in europe so like resident advisor "electronic music online" someone should tell them how its done in europe
>>
>>63380133
>really important to dance music

Uh, just like Daft Punk.

What the fuck are you guys on?
>>
what electronic artists are everyone on mu sleeping the hardest on right now
>>
>>63380229
Hanz

https://soundcloud.com/madbearhanz/sets/reducer
>>
Where you guys listen to all your mixes?
>>
best thing is to just make playlists for labels and order them by catalogue number because each label has a certain sound
>>
>>63380686
thanks, ill try that. is it usually easy to download collections of tracks by certain labels, or do you just pirate individual eps/singles or buy them?
>>
Am I the only person who uses youtube primarily to find new artists? There's some great channels, and there always seems to be really awesome obscure shit I haven't even heard of in the related videos. I've been using it for 3 years now and I'm still finding new music every day. I know it's not ideal, a lot of artists don't have their music on there. I often end up on bandcamp or soundcloud, but I'm still using youtube primarily.
>>
>>63379194
Nicolas Jaar primo husbando material y/n?
>>
>>63379225
Do we have a /bleep/ chart?? I thought we all just spammed tracks from Rinse FM/Boiler Room podcasts
>>
>>63382000
/bleep/ is very anti-chart and I think that's a good thing tbqh
>>
>>63382109
yeah part of the reason i posted this is because the albums on the charts weren't very exciting for me.
>>
>>63379194
Singles and EPs most of the time
Singles through Youtube
DJ mixes occasionally if its someone I like. Foodman for example

Albums if its atmospheric, ambient, or electro-industrial
>>
>>63380778
Yep, I use it a lot as well. The recommendations on discogs are ok too but they tend to just recommend the same records over and over a lot.
>>
Mostly i use two apps in my cellphone:
Beatport, whos perfect to make your own playlists and discover the newest songs in the scene. Also you can purchase it in different formats straight from them.
D.I.fm: Radio based system that gave lots more subgenres than beatport, but you can't actually save the songs to "postlistening". You can only save your favorite songs names.

Also I search for subgenres on torrent browser, so i get new shit. I'll being posting some images that give us some references in our journey in the machines sounds.
>>
>>63382109
I can't think of anything good about that
>>
>>63379194
A lot of the great stuff is on albums but you just gotta find the right ones and dig deeper. Sometimes the best ones are just overlooked or really underground.

But yeah, mixes are a good way to find new artists and labels. It's just a matter of not limiting yourself to albums and be open to all formats.

As for downloading bleeps, Soulseek is essential and probably the best way (especially for singles and EPs). I also use funkysouls frequently for drum & bass releases.
>>
ultra tomorrow anybody?
>>
is this /bleep/ for real right now or what

i got lost
>>
>>63382792
Its a dj thing i think.

I'd kinda like to see what /bleep/ would consider top-tier though. Most of the time that tread is just a clash off the techist house you've ever heard, distorted breakbeat and 'appy 'ardcore.

It seems like theres too many cooks for them to agree In Fine Style is actually god-tier.
>>
>>63379391
yeah it is

I'm sure there are many people like me who literally can't listen to bleep because it makes no fucking sense

if I want to go listen to krautrock or something the fans of that genre are more welcoming and will tell you the next essential album to listen to

electronic music is elitist bullshit on this board
>>
>>63382792
It's just kinda how dance is. There's ALWAYS been a bit of an obscurantist slant to it. It's why you see so many DJs/producers who decry Shazam or are reticent to post track lists. A big part of the culture is discovering things for yourself. Terre Thaemletz has written a few essays on the subject.
>>
>>63383154
How is it hard? It's the same as other music except you just follow EPs and Singles as opposed to albums. You go to clubs. You listen to your fav producer's mixes when they upload them to their soundcloud profiles. It's not confusing in the slightest.
>>
>>63383257
>You go to clubs.
lol ok im out
>>
>>63383294
It's CLUB MUSIC. The majority of dance music is made 4 club use.
>>
>>63383355
Accept not really. Thats like saying Jazz is club music because it was made for clubs in the 1920's
>>
with my ears
>>
>>63383834
no, because you don't need to be dancing to fully enjoy most jazz
>>
>>63383154
>>63383294
anti elitists confirmed basement dwellers and anti clubbers lmaooo
>>
>>63379613
Fuck Europe
>>
>>63383908

Playing devil's advocate but this makes no sense. You can enjoy dance music without dancing.
>>
>>63383981
you can but its usually not as good. i'm talking about the more purely functional dance music here.
>>
>>63383914
do you know where you are
>>
I think most people who aren't into underground dance music don't realise there's a difference between "clubbing" and "going to the club"... if you get my poorly phrased point.
>>
>>63382881
>ultra
fuck off
>>
>>63384118
I get what you mean
>>
>>63379437
not who you replied to but house, techno, dubstep, footwork/juke, 'ardcore, garridge, grime, drummenbass/jungle are all not album-oriented traditions in general
>>
>>63384118
what is the other thing then? People chill in "underground" clubs and listen to the music? Because that's hard to believe
>>
>>63384180

>People chill in "underground" clubs and listen to the music? Because that's hard to believe

Yes, and there's dancing involved.
>>
>>63383834
I didn't say you had to be at a club to enjoy it, I listen to dance music at home all the time, but a majority (not all) of dance music is made for clubs. Dubstep is a genre, for instance, where you don't get the full effect of the track unless you're hearing it on a big system - you're not gonna get the physicality of the drop sub base on headphones/laptop speakers. It just how it's produced.

Then there's the fact that there's a large contingent of dance music that is known as "DJ tools." What this means is that it's music that has been made just to be the base of a DJs set, or to mixed with other tracks - it's not meant to be used on its own. You get this a lot in grime (of the instrumental variety) and "harder" techno (think of the sort you hear in Berghain).
>>
>>63384006
>you can but its usually not as good.

lel this isnt worth my time explaining. Its cool some people are just rasist but about types of music.
>>
>>63384388
except that has nothing to do with being against dance music, just about recognizing it works better in different situations
>>
>>63384388
No ones saying dance music can't be listened to in other settings, but you really don't think dance music is better for, yknow, dancing? Have you ever even gone to a club?
>>
>>63383355
yeah but that's the thing I'm not really into dance music

I like Jaar, Arca, Venetian Snares, Demdlike Stare you know and I wanted bleep to be the general for expanding on those
>>
>>63384689
>I wanted bleep to be the general for expanding on those
Then you shouldn't have called it "general bleep discussion" since /bleep/ is a general for dance/underground club music and that's what people assumed you meant...
>>
>>63384728
he's not op, i am. idk what he's talking about.
>>
>>63384791
Ah okay, sorry mate.
>>
>>63384791
>idk what he's talking about.
it's not that difficult to read tbqh
>>
>>63384521
No i dont. The music is not improved by dancing. I may have a better emotion reaction to a track if neck a few and then gettmy groove on. but judging the music critically for what it is (like we do with every other type of music and medium) no, it does not improve with dancing.

and yes i used to go to fabric and fire quite abit when i was younger.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.