[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So Viet Con -- err, "Women" and Andrew Jac -- err,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5
File: cuckbands.png (2 MB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
cuckbands.png
2 MB, 2000x1000
So Viet Con -- err, "Women" and Andrew Jac -- err, "AJJ" have changed their names.

What's with the modern indie bands being so cucked? Are you allowed to be edgy but not be offensive? How does that work?
>>
>>63371866
>Are you allowed to make your own artistic decisions as a band?

Yes
>>
>>63371866
I can tell you're underage if you use buzzwords like cucked

It's called making money
Viet cong kept getting blocked from Shows
>>
>>63371882
Both of these things happened exclusively because .. someone complained.

>>63371900
Right, and all the post-punk bands really gave a shit about making money.
>>
Women are a different band

afaik Viet Cong havent come out with a new name yet
>>
>>63371914
>Right, and all the post-punk bands really gave a shit about making money.

you are trolling because this has nothing to do with what anybody has said, including yourself
>>
>>63371914
>Both of these things happened exclusively because .. someone complained
[citation needed]
>>
>>63371914
Are you pretending to be stupid?
>>
>>63371900
>Viet cong kept getting blocked from Shows

The solution is to not cater to an audience that bans you for having a mildly offensive name
>>
Fr*nz F*rdinand should change their name too. It's oblivious and disrespectful for the people who were affected by World War I.
>>
>>63372015
The solution is Neets like yourself need to buy the album
but you don't.

But anyway they fucked up Used an edgy name and when asked why? they had zero explanation
Idiots
>>
>>63371928
Viet Cong is pretty distinctively a post-punk revival band. This s 100% undeniably true.

Now, ask yourself: did the post-punk bands Viet Cong is stealing from treat themselves as products subject to customer service?

"Oh, we're sorry, we're not gonna call ourselves Gang of Four anymore, we apologize to all the Chinese people [but it's always white people who are the loudest that something's offensive] we might have offended"

>>63371935
http://pitchfork.com/news/61277-viet-cong-are-changing-their-name/
>Earlier this year, a Viet Cong show was canceled due to response over the band's "offensive" name. The band subsequently released a statement saying, "We never intended for our name to be provocative or hurtful." Today, the band have announced that they will change their name.

Also

http://www.andrewjacksonjihad.com/big-news-today/

>We are very sorry to any people the name has offended. We would like to thank those who have reached out over the years to let us know that the name is problematic, especially those who reached out with kindness.

There is literally nothing more retarded and disgusting than a [citation needed] faggot.

>>63371939
Are you? I'm not saying anything complicated.
>>
I don't think a single person complained about AJJ, they were just tired of using an edgy name. They could have worded their announcement differently but they pretty much grew up. Shame that I don't like them nearly as much sonically anymore
>>
>>63372093
damn well they're still making music and you're nobody. isn't life strange?
>>
"Offensiveness for it's own sake" is only appropriate when at least relevant to the band

If an American punk band founded in 2003 called itself Fuck George Bush they would have an explanation, even if an immature one

But naming yourselves Viet Cong is just using a politically charged word for fun, it's even more immature

Andrew Jackson Jihad probably changed their name because they were cucks in the first place though I mean look at em
>>
>>63372151
No, because their music is fucking shitty
>>
>>63372093
gang of four have nothing to do with this thread, and neither does your weird (and false) claim about money
>>
What's the next buzz offense word, /mu/? I'm thinking ageism is gonna take off in a few years.
>>
>>63372168
it's pretty good
>>
>>63372069
>Viet Cong
>edgy name

>Andrew Jackson Jihad
>edgy name

And yet the same people who banned them most likely protested to "FREE PUSSY RIOT"
>>
>>63372218
Are you retarded

The members of pussy riot all have pussies
>>
indie rock is a 100% white suburban weakling cuck genre, these name changes don't surprise me at al
>>
>>63372218
The vulgarity is hard to ignore. That brave but talentless group really did pick the best name possible.
>>
>>63372230
I can guarantee they've never been in a a riot once in their life though
>>
>>63372093
>[but it's always white people who are the loudest that something's offensive]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7bNrCRY618
>>
who #redpillarmy here
>>
Report submitted!
>>
>>63372218
The people who "banned" them are the ones who pay money to see live events. You don't
stupid neet

Buy the album and support the artist you shitcnt
>>
>>63372169
I didn't know the members of Viet Cong browsed /mu/

>>63372266
That's against the rules.
>>
why is everyone so obsessed with extramusical narratives and image here it's really annoying
>>
>>63372218
The difference is that Viet Cong and Andrew Jackson Jihad are edgy just for the sake of being edgy and Pussy Riot is edgy for a good reason (feminism)
>>
>>63372283
What are you gonna do...report me? :P
>>
>>63372287
music is for gays and losers
we force the red-pill narrative to destroy music "culture" on this web-site
>>
File: 5248502859-24853.jpg (70 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
5248502859-24853.jpg
70 KB, 500x333
>>63372294
Viet Cong and Andrew Jackson Jihad are not edgy names you fucking idiot.

>Pussy Riot is edgy for a good reason (feminism)
>good reason (feminism)
>>
>>63372369
what the hell is that filename
>>
>>63372369
>Viet Cong and Andrew Jackson Jihad are not edgy names
You're entitled to your opinion but you're not the sole arbiter of what is and isn't edgy.

Also /mu/ is a liberal board that supports women's rights. Some of the most discussed musicians here are independent women.
>>
>>63372435
fucc you lil nigga
>>
>>63372294
>Viet Cong is edgy for the sake of being edgy
Did you even listen to their music or were you too busy browsing tumblr?
>>
>>63372596
he's talking about the name you dip
>>
File: 5248502859-2986.jpg (55 KB, 680x598) Image search: [Google]
5248502859-2986.jpg
55 KB, 680x598
>>63372435
>You're entitled to your opinion but you're not the sole arbiter of what is and isn't edgy.
I never implied I was. What the fuck are you even trying to prove here? Why don't you try actually giving your reason as to why you think it's edgy instead making obvious cop-out statements like "THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION MAN!"

>Also /mu/ is a liberal board
Am I supposed to care?
>>
>>63372635
I'm not trying to prove anything because I don't have to. AJJ changed their name because they thought it was stupid and it seems Viet Cong will change their name because they feel like it's the right thing to do. You can read their own statements on this.
>>
AJJ changed their name partly because using the word jihad was deemed offensive as none of the members of the band are muslim which is really weird to me as the only people who are going to be offended by using the term jihad are fucking jihadists.
>>
>>63372774
AJJ changed their names because others found it offensive, not because "it was stupid." Viet Cong changed their name because their shows was cancelled, because others found it offensive. This didn't happen solely because they just randomly wanted to.

Granted, Viet Cong as a name has no significance to the band, but I'm not even arguing about their statements. My point that there isn't anything legitimately offensive about their names.
>>
>>63372294
>Being edgy is bad, but if it's in the name of feminism it's good
This sums up modern feminism beautifully.
>>
>>63371866
Viet Cong hasn't really changed their name yet, and I don't think they intend to. I think they released that whole letter addressing it just to get people off their backs and draw attention away from themselves so that they could eventually just skim by under the radar without any negative press.
>>
>>63372247
I can guarantee you've never been in a riot once yourself
>>
>>63371866
Women was a different band entirely.
>>
>>63373101
+1
>>
>>63372212
"Toaster."
Eventually robots will gain sentience and demand rights. In response, people opposing robot/human relations will start calling the robots toasters. Toaster will become offensive unless you're talking about an actual toaster.
It'll be the N-word all over again.
>>
>>63372248
fuck these people man. he is being very understanding and he agrees with them. is that not enough? honestly the name is transformative. we are not single minded beings that can only associate one thing with one thing. and the fact that she says they're profiting off of the name is completely untrue. they are profiting off the music that they make. if i was them i wouldve probably acted like they did until the protesters kept treating me so disrespectfully then i would say no. im keeping the name because why should i respect anything you say when you obviously have no respect for me.
>>
>>63371866
>Viet Cong and Andrew Jackson Jihad pressured to change their names
>Gay Witch Abortion can stay
ok
>>
>>63372166
immaturity is a social construct tho
>>
>>63373101
It's not just feminism. Being aggressive and confrontational for no reason is rude and immature, but that doesn't mean that you should never be aggressive or confrontational. Do you disagree with that?
>>
>>63373270
You mean a spook?
>>
>>63371866
>Viet Cong caves and changes their name
>decide to revert back to the name of two of the members' old band
>one of the original members of Women is dead, another one probably isn't coming back

Everything about this sounds douchey.
>>
>>63372248
>talks about importance of reading comments on the internet
>disables comments on her video

2nd generation, middle class Asian college students need to stop acting like they're marginalized anyway
>>
>>63373382
is there any source on them changing their name back to Women? I can't find any

I know they said they would change their name but they dont seem to have announced one yet
>>
File: 1413954285829.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1413954285829.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>63372435
>you're not the sole arbiter of what is and isn't edgy.
>/mu/ is a liberal board because I say so btw
>>
>>63373386
>this is coming from a middle class white boy

Shiggy diggy
>>
>>63373448
We're the "privileged" demographic they always try to marry so I think we're in a good position to say.
>>
File: tyrone.png (103 KB, 437x475) Image search: [Google]
tyrone.png
103 KB, 437x475
>>63372435
>/mu/ is a liberal board
I wanted this to be not true but unfortunately it is true. My only question is: when Trump gets elected will you cucks go away?
>>
I feel like most of the blame lies on Pitchfork and other music sites like them, it's not like they actually believe the shit they write, everything's reduced to numbers for them.

It's like >>63372287, the music gets pushed aside in favor of other shit and the musicians are forced to engage with the press, like how the members of Viet Cong made a point of saying that they're all fairly private people who only use social media for the band reluctantly back in that statement they made
>>
>>63373531
Get back in your fucking cage.
>>>/pol/67791113
>>
>>63373531
>I wanted this to be not true but unfortunately it is true. My only question is: when Trump gets elected will you cucks go away?
everyone will go away because NEETs will have to work
>>
>>63373531
Trump doesn't stand a chance against Hillary
>>
>>63373584
I think he's gonna shred her, but we shall see.

>>63373569
Good.
>>
>>63373520
>always try to marry

Lol
>>
>>63373915
butthurt asian manlet detected
>>
>>63371866
Edge-kiddies like you have dragged /mu/ down to /b/,/pol/, and /r9k/ level. Hope yr pleased w/yrself, fucko.
>>
/pol/ pls go

>>63373101
his point was that being edgy for the sake of it is stupid, but being edgy to get attention for your cause and be heard isn't, not just about feminism

you fucking illiterate retard
>>
>>63373406
no, OP is just a dumbass
>>
>>63371923
theyre going by VC
>>
>>63374957
Your "cause" is wet dogshit. Irritating moderates, harassing opponents, and acting like sanctimonious prick isn't justified by your desire for attention. It's just as obnoxious as being edgy for the sake of being edgy, if not more so since high schoolers generally don't pretend their immature and childish behavior is a moral duty
>>
>>63372266
>homestuck trip

sounds about right
>>
>>63375363
source?
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.