[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In music terms, how was highschool for you >What band/musician
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
In music terms, how was highschool for you

>What band/musician was the biggest hype in those years?
>Name your hs top 5
>Did you get bullied or rejected because of your music and taste in general?
>When did your taste got ecletic?
>The lack of social interaction help you to turn into a music melomaniac?
>did you suffer any highschool dramas?
>do you believe you enjoyed much more music in those years than you do now?
>>
>>63370915
You're living in it.
>>
File: 1458161615452.jpg (84 KB, 625x625) Image search: [Google]
1458161615452.jpg
84 KB, 625x625
Self bump

Tokio Hotel and Jonas Brothers
>Name your hs top 5
Linkin Park
MCR
The Rasmus
30 seconds to mars
Placebo
Not completely rejected but i do suffer some indiference and i wasnt take it in count by everyone,but it wasnt because of my music taste if was because a rock got more charisma than me
at 13 when i discover Placebo and "indie" music in general, then at 15 when i meet some metalheads and prog fans on the internet, but I was just pretending, i knew a lot but I didn't enjoy it
Totally but i also got my first gf(ldr) because of that
Personal dramas, i loved a girl but nobody knew it except for some "friends" so i suffer in silence and did some crazy shit because of her
Sadly yes, back then i just knew some bands and love everything they do, now I know so many bands i cant dedicate the right time to dig it
>>
I was laughed at more than once for suggesting a Beach Boys album to someone.
>>
idk
>Name your hs top 5
Tool, Deftones, NIN, Don McLean, SoaD
I got mildly bullied a handful of times, idk if it was because of music or being short and goofy looking.
After hike school.
wtf? Did you mean megalomaniac? No.
Probably.
Not remotely.
>>
>>63371313
>Don McLean
That's an odd figure in the mix.
>>
>>63370915
Everyone was hype for Long.Live.A$AP after Live.Love. I was disappointed, no one else was really and I was a buzzkill.
>Name your hs top 5
Nana Grizol, LCD Soundsystem, Modest Mouse, Beach House, Beck
I was deemed a hater because I didn't like the Trap/Soundcloudcore that was very popular at my HS and never got invited to things partially because of it.
When I branched from Prog to indie then to hip-hop.
No I was always an introvert anyway and my taste went from vidya to movies/tv and music.
I'd have to interact with people for drama to exist
Nah I have much less of an ADD approach now I'll actually listen to a particular genre rather than hopping from band to band aimlessly.
>>
>>63371313
>megalomaniac
Melomania is an obsession with music
>>
Sophomore year 2011, Death Grips
>Name your hs top 5
1.MGMT
2.Death Grips
3.Aphex Twin
4. Tame Impala
No I generally listened to enough music to where I could at least relate to everyone
4th grade
Sure it was a Christian school with no friends
Yeah me being the only one in my class to not graduate I had to go to a public school the last two weeks of school and that was the last time I talked to anyone from my old school
My life is music now
>>
>>63371765
No.5 is earl sweatshirt
>>
>>63370915
1. Dark Tranquillity
2. Metallica
3. Megadeth
4. RHCP
5. Eagles

No bully, no one cared what I listen to.

When I started watching anime my tastes got weird.
>>
>>63370915
Gorillaz
>Name your hs top 5
Gorillaz, Daft Punk, Animal Collective, TVU and Aphex Twin
Yes
9th grade.
Yes.
Got punched in the face for playing Sunday Morning.
Yes.
>>
>>63370915

Idk, i guess drake or some shit
>Name your hs top 5
Animal collective, flying lotus (used him as my senior quote), charlie parker, the clash, and linkin park to release my teenage angst.
I didn't really fit in with either band kids or "popular" kids. But it was more for my shyness. I hated when people called me a band kid though.
College
No, it gave me something to finally talk about with people. Good conversation starter
No
I learned most of what I know about music in hs. Was in a jazz band thst went to essentislly ellington in NY and an honors concert band as a bari sax player. Learned a shitton of music theory and jazz composition, branching into other facets. Would perform our own arrangements as well as covers. All that technical shit is fine and dandy, but I didn't really feel compelled with music until soph year of college. Learned to appreciate all genres and perspectives. Made me a much happier person to conversate with, and people have asked me to critique and help on production. Been told i should review music too, though music reviews give intersting insight of other perspectives not really worthy of monetizing to me.
>>
Tokio Hotel, H.I.M, a few top 40 chart garbage I'm not bothering to recall

>Name your hs top 5
Modest Mouse, Gorillaz, Pink Floyd, Mandré, Radiohead

I got bullied but not because of music taste. I guess I didn't have a lot of people with shared interests but it is okay.

When I started feeling the effects of social rejection, alienation, torment and descended into a pit of despair

Yes.

Yes.

Yes. It was an escape from a shitty reality.
>>
HS Top Five was prob:
AnCo
Sunset Rubdown
MGMT
The Antlers
Neutral Milk Hotel
>>
>>63370915
Kendrick Lamar and Frank Ocean made the biggest impact among people at my school, I went to a charter though, so things were different.
>>Name your hs top 5
Bob Dylan
Townes Van Zandt
Blaze Foley
Joanna Newsom
Tom Waits

Yes, I am that boring.
>>Did you get bullied or rejected because of your music and taste in general?
Sometimes.
>>When did your taste got ecletic?
When I started visiting /mu/ in 10th grade. I gravitate heavily towards lyrically oriented genres and artists but it's not all that I listen to.
>>The lack of social interaction help you to turn into a music melomaniac?
I guess.
>>did you suffer any highschool dramas?
Oh yeah.
>>do you believe you enjoyed much more music in those years than you do now?
About the same, I've only been out for a year though.
>>
Friends didn't cared enough about music as far as I know. We didn't talked about it, AT ALL. Just one guy that at 2000 that really loved guns and roses. He stayed with us for just for just one year and then gone for another school

>Name your hs top 5
Didn't cared about music at the time, including mainstream music, just discovered and then cared about guns and roses at the second half of 2000 and then started to find guns and roses a boring band and stropped to listen to it.

No one was bullied on my school, it was rare, I even found strange when I saw USA movies and saw people getting bullied. The same with popular people vs non popular people they show on USA movies, here on my country, everyone knew everyone and was a friend of everyone on the class.
>>
>>63370915
I went to a pretty shitty school in the inner city so Kool Savas, Eko Fresh and Bushido was everything everyone listened to, some people also listened to Eminem and 50 Cent.

>Name your hs top 5
As in, my favorite bands in high school?
Green Day
Rage Against the Machine
Donots
Sex Pistols
Eminem

My music got rejected, yes, but I didn't really get bullied for it, some people made snarky comments but I was neutral with everyone, people respected me and I respected them (being a shitty weed dealer helps)
About half a year before graduating when I eventually found myself absolutely blown away by the riffs of math rock bands and eventually branched out from there
Not really, though the last few I'm kind of isolated I feel music be more important to me than ever
I had one break up and one long relationship with some jealous boys, that's it
no
>>
>>63372545
>When did your taste got eclectic?
I only cared about music at 3 points of my life before enlightenment (when I was ultra young before I was 3 years old), at the second half of 1995 and first half of 1996 I only cared about one band called mamonas assasinas, this band was mainstream at the time on my country. Other than that band (and the guns and roses story I said before), I didn't cared about music including mainstream ones.

Anyway, I got at music and at same time underground music, when I was doing something TV tropes site call wiki walk, this was at the year 2005, I was looking at Wikipedia articles about stuff and then found articles about metal genres I got curious about church burning, the fact doom metal was ultra slow, the fact they mixed "war music" with metal on folk metal, and because of that decided to try to find one artist I liked from each metal genre.
After some days I decided to quit with this idea but continued to search more about music. One year after this I saw how stupid Wikipedia was when talking about music, then months later I found ishkur guide and decided to test the same thing (try to find one song I like from each sub-genre there), in this case I spend months trying to do that instead days and then quit this quest.
During the 3 years after it, my method of musical research was not so effective, I was discovering stuff yet, as I came from nowhere as I didn't even cared about mainstream music. I mostly downloaded songs instead of albums, at 2008 I saw that I had just few songs and started to download a bunch of artists at random to test, and then start to do some normal type of musical research and then my taste got more eclectic..

Nope, it was a mix or pure luck and curiosity.

Not that I remember now.

Not at ALL
>>
Graduation released the beginning of my junior year and everyone was wearing those dumb glasses while sucking Kanye's dick
>Name your hs top 5
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Muse
Jimi Hendrix
Rise Against
Super Mash Bros
I did not like hip-hop/rap in high school which was weird, but hung out with theatre kids so it was ok
started going on /mu/ in 2010, changed everything
no
i was the videographer for the school plays/musicals, I suffered plenty
being blissfully unaware was nice, but it mostly made me sad that after thinking critically about it my favorite artists were not very good
>>
>>63370915
Indie was catching on strong thanks to bands like Arcade Fire, Death Cab for Cutie, and Vampire Weekend. EDM took off with deadmau5 and Skrillex. Metalcore and was huge in my area of north Texas, and there was a dying but passionate hardcore scene as well.

>Name your hs top 5
Radiohead, Crystal Castles, Aphex Twin, Sufjan Stevens, Deerhunter

Not bullied but maybe rejected by my taste in clothes. Never had trouble making friends though but a few of my old friends were put off by my changes.

At 15 when I discovered Crystal Castles. For a videogame obsessed nerd, the aggressive chiptune synth tones on their first LP were mind-blowing. It made me realize that electronic music could be emotional, which lead me to IDM and progressive house. I didn't really start exploring jazz, soul, and rock until college.

I had plenty of social interaction during high school. I just have a very addictive personality and music was the most effective way for me to destress from all those uncomfortable, confusing feelings that come with growing up. I started collecting music at 15 and my habit of collecting has grown exponentially over the years.

Oh yeah. Crazy, hot longterm girlfriend of a year ending in a really ugly, drawn-out breakup that lasted for half a year. That fucked me up for a while but the introspective period following the breakup galvanized me into a really confident, happy person for years. Sister's best friend was found dead by her dad in her bathtub. OD'd on pills.

No, my passion for listening to and collecting music is stronger than ever.
>>
my top 5 in high school:
arctic monkeys
radiohead
sonic youth
pink floyd
opeth

Now everybody listens to arctic monkeys and radiohead. Fucking hell...i was completely alone back then. i could've lost my virginity so much sooner grrrr
>>
Whatever was on the radio
>Name your hs top 5
New Order, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, SHINee, Tears for Fears, Bauhaus
I didn't consider myself to be bullied, but there was definitely a lot of shit being talked about me behind my back. A lot of faculty and family considered it bullying.
13 I guess. My mother really helped me develop my taste.
I didn't have many friends, just a few but I didn't lack in social interaction. I was in band and orchestra so I was fairly involved in my school's activities. Made some good memories and friends in band.
Only my senior year. It involved my best friend at the time. She made out with someone else's boyfriend and when someone called her out she tried to say I started it as a rumor because I was jealous of the relationship. It didn't matter to me because I had started to become very fed up with her ignorance of things, both musically and in general. Other people knew I didn't make it up because they saw it with their own eyes. I made new friends and finished my last couple of months happily.
No, I feel like my love for listening, collecting, and discovering music is stronger than it's been.
>>
>>63370972
*on

at least get the meme right, you pathetic fuck
>>
I was really into Indie rap and rock
>Name your hs top 5
Action Bronson, MGMT, Talking Heads, Bon Iver, A$AP Rocky
Quite the opposite, I went to a really normie school, even by normie standards, so when I'd play something even remotely indie and different kids would be drawn to it
Right after Exmilitary dropped, kinda inspired me to really embrace music i considered "weird"
No
No
Not at all, a good portion of my High School years were getting really high and listening to music, but not for the enjoyment of music, just to see how it sounded when I was high.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.