[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Playing a gig for the first time and idk where else to ask about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
File: baro_gentlemen.png (91 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
baro_gentlemen.png
91 KB, 700x700
Playing a gig for the first time and idk where else to ask about how to even act at a gig. The genre is indie and just the though of it is scary.
We have to play 5 originals but the thing is that we do t have much songs so we planned playing one cover at least.
Someone told me to play the covers at the end of all the songs we are supposed to play. Anyone here who can show me the ropes around indie gigs?
>>
its gonna be a huge failure
>>
>>63370898
No!! Fuck! U make it worse for me
>>
>>63370821
don't be such a pussy
>>
>>63370967
I just need advice on how to go thru it without failing
>>
File: chuck norris's lover.jpg (15 KB, 362x372) Image search: [Google]
chuck norris's lover.jpg
15 KB, 362x372
>>63370821
They're all gonna laugh at you!
>>
>>63370985
Play all the notes in the right order? There's no way you're supposed to act, just play the songs and then walk off the stage
>>
>>63371023
someone told me to play covers after the original songs or else I get boo'd at is that true?
>>
>>63371065
pretty much
>>
>>63371065
You want to start and end strong. Start with a cover, play your songs, then end with a cover that's pretty known in your circles.
>>
>>63371065
play whatever the fuck you want to play

open with the king of the hill theme song and close with Party Hard by andrew wk. Do whatever you want all the time
>>
>>63371095
>>63371091
That's actually great to know that I can be myself. I mean that's the part of being a musician isn't it?

>>63371086
Fuck well if it happens I guess I'll just take it..
>>
Anyone have any first gig experience to share?
>>
>>63370821
Playing indie isn't like performing a fucking musical with choreographed moves or whatever, just go up on stage, play your shit and don't think about it to much. For me atleast a big part of playing music live is the freedom of expression I get to have onstage, I just do whatever I feel like most of the time.
>>
>>63370821

just do it like you rehearsed lmao

also yes play the cover last
nobody wants to hear a cover from a band they've never even seen before
>>
Don't think about it. I know that's easier said than done but seriously when you start worrying just distract yourself with something else.

You can't do anything about it until it actually happens so there's no point getting worked up about it.

Just play your shit, try and act as comfortable as you can on stage. I know that's tough when everybody is looking at you and your band but it's very noticeable when somebody isn't comfortable on stage.

Also, have a few drinks before. Not so much it affects your playing but enough to calm your nerves a bit. It's worth it, trust me.
>>
>>63371152
>2012
>my band John Cusack Suicide Cult is scheduled to play our first ever live show
>it's a house show featuring about 6 bands
>we're scheduled to play 3rd
>we get up on stage and start playing rock lobster
>we continue to play rock lobster
>turn rock lobster into a post-rock/jam track
>we play rock lobster for nearly an hour, venue is almost entirely cleared out
>kid cuts the power on us
>booed off the stage by the few people still watching us
>do heroin out in an alley and high five each other
>banned for life from local house shows
>>
Lol the sad part is that we are the first band to play I heard that's bad
>>
>>63371328
you guys sound insufferable 2bh familia
>>
>>63371328
Lmao
>>
>>63371328
10/10

kek'd hard
>>
>>63371328
>high fived each other
That's where I lost it
>>
>>63371381
>>63371415
I really miss playing in that band. Everyone ended up in rehab or at college. One of our fill-in guitarists now has a degree in composition. I've got a few more war stories if anyone wants to hear them.
>>
>>63371456
Wby?
>>
>>63371518
I ended up at rehab AND college, but I didn't leave my home town, I went to the local university. I'm a journalist now
>>
>>63371456
Say them
>>
>>63371456
Bradley Nowell?
>>
>>63371541
>2012 again (pretty much the best year on the charts)
>we got a gig to play after a local open mic was over
>it was this deal where the first hour or so was open mic and then a few local groups would play
>it was at a bar
>turns out everyone except for me and lead guitarist forgot about the gig
>We're in the back of the bar, in this small room they used as a green room, flipping out
>we had sort of salvaged our reputation from the rock lobster disaster so only having 2 of the 7 members of the band show up was bad.
>the lead guitarists little brother steals a bottle of jameson from the bar while everyone is enjoying an open mic guy
>the lead guitarist and I get drunk as shit and go out on stage
>we play 8 minutes of improvised noise wall/drone featuring him on drums and me on bass
>the crowd is NOT into it
>after our 8 minute set the bar owner rushes us off the stage
>we end up falling asleep in a park near the bar because we were REALLY drunk

I actually have a recording of this set if anyone is interested
>>
>>63371565
Nope, sorry lad
>>
>>63371634
Let's hear it.
>>
>>63371634
provide immediately, anon

also more stories pls
>>
>>63371711
uploading to clypit as we speak
>>
>>63371634
I wanna hear this noise, mang
>>
>>63371711
>>63371727
https://clyp.it/ecswm5xk

Here's the bootleg. I'm on bass and the lead guitarist is on drums

new story in next post
>>
i'd say play the cover at the end, that way if your own songs suck at least you can end on good terms with the audience

and just have confidence and shit, fake it if you have to.
it's an indie rock show that means almost everyone there will be a limpwristed nu male faggot, so don't worry
>>
>2012 yet again
>high school battle of the bands
>luckily, our 2nd lead guitarist was still in high school. (the rest of the band graduated in 2011)
>We're allowed to come back and play
>Now, at this point we've garnered a reputation, and the night before the battle of the bands we all had a mandatory sound check thing
>the principal of the school pulls us aside
>"No funny business, understand?"
>we're like yeah okay man we'll play this one straight I swear
>we were, of course, lying.
>We said our set was going to be 3 originals and then our signature full band gang vocaled cover of Creep by radiohead
>we get up on stage and perform the entirety of Jim Morrison's "Celebration of the Lizard" improvised
>please clap.jpg
>I take the mic and say "Alright guys, this next one you're gonna wanna mosh to"
>we start playing Nazi Punks Fuck Off at blistering speed
>it's over before the guy in charge even realized what had happened
>he comes back stage
>"YOURE ALL IN SERIOUS TROUBLE"
>we don't even go here
>2nd guitarist gets suspended for a week
>we all come back to my place and jam in my garage and order pizza hut
>>
>>63371905
I still can't get over the rock lobster one
>>
>>63371905
more stories of fuckery, pls
>>
>>63371937
the night before that show we played a practice run through of rock lobster and we ended up playing a version that lasted nearly 2 hours. I recorded that one but the iMac I recorded it on crashed and I lost the files. Our synth player might still have it. I'll ask him when he's home on break

The funniest thing about this is that we were like, a half slowcore half early grunge band and no one expected us to do what we did
>>
Why do I get the sense that you are Bradley nowell and you never died
>>
>>63371965
most of the time our fuckery was playing really long and/or obnoxious songs in the wrong context or being really fucked up during/after/before shows, but I've got one more really good one

>late 2012
>everyone is getting ready to go away to school
>we ask a few local groups if we can open for them, because it'll be our last ever show forever
>everyone says no because we've burnt all the bridges we could've possibly burnt
>we decide to host our own show
>about three miles from my house there is an abandoned farmhouse that was bought by some redneck type who lived outside the house in his trailer
>I know the guy by proxy and I ask him if we can host our last ever show in his abandoned farmhouse
>He's like "sure, I guess"
>We plan the whole thing, even going as far as renting a gas-powered generator to power our amps and stuff
>TONS of people showed up
>it was a band and about 60 people jammed into the living room of a smallish, really old house
>the lead guitarist decided tonight was the best night to try out his brand new tube amp stack
>you can see where this is going, can't you?
>anyway, we play, and dammit we play LOUD
>we play all of our originals, people were super into it
>we were rocking the room
>then we start playing some old punk covers
>Now let me tell you, this house is OLD. like late 1800s old
>its not used to this level of rock
>during a cover of California Uber Alles a pit starts
>they start circle pitting
>suddenly a loud wooden crack can be heard
>floor caves in, we are all now in the basement
>like four people had to go to the ER
>we end up back at my place where we watch high fidelity and do lines

the fallout from that effectively ended the band
>>
>>63371905
>>63371832
>>63371634
These are hilarious, thanks for the share
>>
So over all I can play whatever I want and they'll like it? Here's the order of the songs I was planning on playing

>original
>creature Tijuana panthers
>original
>original
>original

Sounds good?
>>
>>63372120
thanks for listening. I really miss playing with this band

I'm trying to convince everyone to come back to town this summer and we can play one more last ever show, but not in an old building this time
>>
>>63370821
The truth is you're probably going to suck, but you'll get better if you stick with it.

Playing covers at the end sounds like a really good idea. Good luck dude!
>>
>>63372154
yeah do that
>>
>>63372162
Where u at? I'm down to experience life with u
Anyone else in?
>>
>>63372183
suburban Illinois. that would be sick dude
>>
>>63372198
Smh Californian here there's chances of being famous here I think
>>
>>63372291
damn...
>>
Send nudes
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.