[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is this worth $180?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: 4L_bBqioI7W.jpg (57 KB, 602x800) Image search: [Google]
4L_bBqioI7W.jpg
57 KB, 602x800
160gb obv
>>
>>63368822
yeah but i heard they crap out.

just get an itouch and swap out music as you listen to it. You'd be surprised you once you find out you don't listen to all your music library all the time
>>
ssd or hd?
>>
>>63368822
u mean a used one?
>>
>>63368822
They're nice but you can probably do better desu
Also comes with the awful bloat that is itunes if you don't rockbox it
>>
>>63368881
>rockbox
you're a faggot if you buy something and change the software. rockbox has one of the uglist ui I've ever seen.
>>
>>63368853
i have a 32gb iPhone and want it so i DONT have to deal with constantly adding and removing stuff.
>>
>>63369298
But why I have 32gb ipod touch and it never really bothers me to rotate music in and out of it. Because like I said I'm not listening to everything in my music library at once.
>>
>tfw samsung is only 10gb
>>
>iTunes

no
>>
>>63369387
yeah that works if you're at home most of the time. but if you're on the road a lot you cant just rotate music in and out every day
>>
>>63368946
This right fucking here
>>
You don't have to use iTunes to sync an iPod classic.
>>
File: 548469.png (13 KB, 636x187) Image search: [Google]
548469.png
13 KB, 636x187
>>63368822
Just get a Fiio X1. It's $140 including the 128gb memory card, it's more professional and powerful, and it doesn't make you feel like shit like when you buy overpriced Apple products. It also plays lossless formats like FLAC, unlike the ipod, where you have to go through the hassle of converting everything to ALAC.

>>63368881
>>63368946
Rockbox doesn't even work with it, so that's pretty much out of the question anyway. I think you can still install it, but it's a complicated process that's not supported or recommended by the devs, and I think it removes every bit of the original software, so if you change your mind later you might be fucked.
>>
>buying something that can be killed with a magnet
>>
>>63369698
not OP but I'm considering getting a fiio too since my classic is on its last legs with both the battery and HDD slowly dying. thought abt modding it, which would at least cost me like 160€ but dunno. if I fuck up while modding it, its a lot of money down the drain that I could just invest in a fiio
>>
>>63369439
Eh I guess. But why are you on the road without your laptop?
>>
>>63368853
mine has not crapped out after at least 5 years of frequent use.
>>
>>63369439
You mean you listen to 32G of music, per day? Lol ok. This is just the burden of choice: you want to have everything to choose from. One of the best things about a small capacity is you're forced to fully appreciate whatever you've got on there, I suggest embracing that mentality because in my opinion having a glut of music is detrimental to the hobby of enjoying and appreciating music. I know that sounds snobbish but I sincerely believe that.
>>
>>63369803
well depends. I'm not gonna take my 1000$ laptop with me everytime I'm away for some days. so yeah if you just go out running or you listen to on the way to work/uni 32gb is perfectly fine. otherwise a classic is a pretty good investment imo. I also use it as a harddrive for a lot of my music, so my laptop doesnt run out of storage
>>
>>63369698
this. fiio x1 is a very good "low budget" player with decent sound quality
>>
>>63369979
even 200gb micro sds are affordable nowadays
>>
>>63369900
please back up your library
>>
>>63369698
>rockbox doesn't even work with it
before I lost mine I had it running rockbox, though iirc it was technically a deprecated release due to some minor technicality. it's still considered fully usable though
>>
>>63369791
>being something that can be killed with a plethora of different things
Stfu you hippocrite
>>
>>63368822
Used mine nearly every day for the past four years or so, has all my music nicely organised on it. Hasn't crapped out once, and it's nice and easy to use.
Yeah, it's worth it.
>>
File: THE_GOOSE_IS_LOOSE.gif (3 MB, 373x336) Image search: [Google]
THE_GOOSE_IS_LOOSE.gif
3 MB, 373x336
No. Get Sansa Clip+ with a 128GB micro SD card.
>>
I bought a FiiO X1 as a replacement for my iPod Classic after having a Sansa Clip+ for a while. It's not perfect but I really like it as a Classic replacement.
>>
>>63369698
You can buy other compatible cards separately top right?

I would totally do this too but I would need more space than that.

What's the UI like, battery life, can it play video?

It'd be neat if you could selectively shuffle subcategories. Then I could go through the /mu/ core without everything else.
>>
>>63371868
I think I read sth about some fiio updates where you can put 200gb cards in it. not shure tho
>>
Just buy yourself a phone + micro sd card, you won't be carrying too much shit with you, some apps have nice looking interfaces, and you can scrobble if you care about that sort of shit.
>>
>>63372315
would make sense if it wasnt for the shit phone battery life
>>
>>63372315
>>63372670
yeah, battery life is a concern. Sitting on a plane/bus/train/your mother for a day eats up the battery too quickly
>>
>>63371868
The thing is $100 (for the price it's probably the best thing on the market honestly) and you gotta buy the memory cards separately. I don't know if they updated the software to work with higher than 128gb, but if you really need to, you can always have more than 1 card and switch them up any time, I guess. Battery life is 12h+, iirc they updated that too so it might be even longer, but I don't remember exactly. I'm pretty sure it doesn't play video, although I don't know why you'd want to, on a 2" 240×320 screen.
Personally I like the UI a lot, but you can always get Rockbox if you really want to. I don't think the playlist and category features are too huge and extensive, but they exist and they work.
It's also got some pretty neat features like true gapless playback, a great equalizer, good internal DAC and enough power on its own to drive medium range $150 headphones as long as they're not too high impedance.
>>
get a fucking sansa clip with a micro sd card and rockbox that shit. 1000x better. i had this ipod and it shat itself in a year or so, now its fucking useless.
>>
>>63369698
>Apple overpriced
>Fiio not overpriced

topkek. I remember when the only thing Fiio made were shitty $3 headphone amps for chinese websites.
>>
File: 1455611323062.jpg (31 KB, 370x368) Image search: [Google]
1455611323062.jpg
31 KB, 370x368
>that PEEEEEW noise the hard drive makes every 15 seconds
>>
>>63374168
How is $200-400 (depending on if you want it new or used) for a discontinued device with fixed memory, bad UI and not even FLAC support not overpriced? And on top of that it's got a big fat shame stamp that'll make sure to remind you and everyone that sees it of how much money you wasted by supporting a shitty greedy corporation.
Also the Fiio amp/dacs might be cheap and chinese but they do the job decently for cheaper headphones, and the alternatives aren't really much different or even worth it. Their portable DAPs are great, though, especially the X1. $100 for that thing is a steal, especially since it's got a nice internal dac.
>>
No.

Give in and buy a Spotify subscription. That combined with Soundcloud, Spinrilla, Youtube, etc. will have everything you need. $10 a month really isn't a lot to ask assuming you're the type of person who would consider a 160 GB iPod in the first place (i.e., someone who torrents a lot, like I used to, and who listens to lots of diverse albums daily).

Once you have that, listen to everything on your phone, and with a Spotify subscription you'll be able to download your favorite albums to your local storage to avoid roaming charges if you're not on a WiFi network.
>>
>>63368853
I've had one for like 7 years and it works fine, except the play/pause button doesn't work anymore. However, it's not even a quarter of the way full and I don't even regularly want to listen to most of what's on it.
>>
>>63375459
I've gone through about 3 Ipod classics, lasted 2-3 years each.
>>
>>63375479
I don't know what happened to yours. My one and only iPod Classic is still going strong.
>>
>>63368822
I have two: one from about five years ago whose headphone jack I broke (my fault, not Apple's), still works fine as an external hard drive; and another from about three years ago, which is pretty beat up but works fine. As far as I've experienced, the things are built like tanks.

I use MusicBee instead of iTunes and everything syncs fine. There's also a plugin (don't worry- it's easy as shit to add) that allows you to convert anything to mp3s, so compatibility isn't really a problem.

If you're worried about lossless formats, think about it: when you need a PMP, are you really gonna be able to notice the difference between 320kps mp3 and flac? Pretty much anywhere where you're going to want to bring it is going to have a noise floor way too high for it to make a difference.

No direct experience, but the FiiO X1 does look like a decent deal. You prob won't find an iPod Classic with an intact warranty these days. Although there are SD cards larger than the advertised 128gb, I wouldn't assume that they are compatible with the FiiO. That seems like something you would want to advertise.
>>
File: CLlkp0qUkAAEZ-A.jpg (31 KB, 589x440) Image search: [Google]
CLlkp0qUkAAEZ-A.jpg
31 KB, 589x440
>>63368822
NO FUCKING WAY

128gb mirco sd is $40. if you have an iphone, get a cheap android and poof you've saved yourself the pain of another idevice
>>
>>63377222
This.

160gb for 180$ might've been a good deal in 2006, but now iPods really have no outstanding upsides compared to what we have today. Pick your favorite android and pop an sd card in it
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.