[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what do you think? It's seems to be one of the most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: folder.jpg (120 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
120 KB, 900x900
So what do you think?

It's seems to be one of the most polarizing effort from them. At least CHz opinions are between "it's not that bad" to "total shit", this album has people hailed it as one of their best and total dogshit.
>>
I liked it
>>
Disappointing. Nothing any AnCo member has released in the past ~5 years has been very good though.
>>
My least favorite of their by a long stretch.

Its so fucking boring. The effects are not at all unique, the lyrics have no passion or soul, it feels so manufactured.

I highly doubt I will ever listen to it ever again.
>>
>>63367749
I liked it too, anon. I think it's better than CHz, Slasher Flicks, and Grim Reaper, although it's not exactly a high standard.
>>
I liked it, 8/10 for me
>>
>>63367733

Potential AOTY for me. at least an 8/10, possibly 8.5/10.
>>
I loved it. I feel like AnCo's sound translated really well into tightly structured pop music. The beats are prominent and a lot of fun, the springy synths were annoying at first but they grew on me really quickly, and the vocal arrangements are easily the best part of the album. The call and response between Avey and Panda gets me every time. Granted the album reuses a lot of ideas and types of sounds and I'm not necessarily happy about how safe they played that, however I think that it makes the album feel more cohesive.

It's good shit but I'm ready for them to move on to something that isn't pop.
>>
I didnt like it very much, kind found it boring
>>
>>63367765
This. They're just too fucking old now. They aren't right for this type of teenage girl/18 year old /mu/ pitchfork fan music.
>>
It's one of the worst three releases, but it's not bad. Like Centipede Hz, it's definitely a grower, but ultimately there's a lot less substance. These are clearly quick, cleanly cut jams, which is a double edged sword - the weaker parts don't drag it down because the album moves quickly, but the stronger parts never get fully developed so you're left wondering where the rest of the song is.

It's one of their happiest sounding albums, which is kind of nice, since there was a heavy malaise of anxiety under Centipede Hz, but that doesn't really translate to a better album; there's a lack of depth to the whole thing, which I think was sort of the point.

One of my biggest disappointments is how very obvious the samples are. The guys usually do a fantastic job of integrating the samples to the point where they're unrecognizable (What Would I Want? Sky is an excellent example of this). But right out of the gate, you have a very clear, very recognizable sample of Wipe Out, which is so jarring for them.

Overall, it sounds like the remnants of the Centipede Hz sound, especially the more energetic parts, blended with Panda's most recent album. This is most obvious in the tracks with syncopated vocals, which Panda made extensive use of in Grim Reaper. For example, Lying in the Grass sounds like Father Time mixed with Boys Latin.
>>
>>63367765
I think New Psycho Actives was fantastic, but outside of that and Tomboy, yeah, their material has kind of been middling.
>>
>>63367765
>>63367985
>>63368099
>I haven't heard Slasher Flicks

Pretty sad desu.
>>
>>63368169
Which was total shit. Little Fang and Catchy were the only good songs
>>
>>63367733
I was underwhelmed at first, but it's growing on me.
>>
>>63368169
Believe me, I've heard all of their stuff.

Slasher Flicks was okay, but it was also pretty clearly Centipede Hz Pt. 2.

Avey desperately needs to stop relying on the same vocal effects.
>>
>>63368220
In PW it's clearly he toned it a bit, but the problem now is the Boys Latin effects.
>>
I really, really did not like it. Even though I liked MPP, I was uneasy about the poppy turn they were taking...turns out I was right

ODDSAC was great, though.
>>
>>63368182
I'm sorry to hear about your shit taste.
>>
>>63367765
PBMTGR is very underrated. Quality album.

Painting With is average at best. Disappointing; they're not even ambitious anymore. Not terrible but mediocre.
>>
>>63368238
I agree. What we can hope for is for this album to get out all the traces of their most recent stuff out of their system, and then have Deakin come back with a fresh new vibe. According to the Reddit thing they did, the reason Deak isn't on the album is because he's finishing up his own.

>>63368269
Honestly strange because all of their more recent, poppier endeavors are pretty far from the poppy elements on MPP. A lot of this took early root in Strawberry Jam.
>>
>>63368288
>liking Slasher Flicks
>having taste
pick one
>>
name another album that sounds like Painting With.
>>
>>63368315
Animal Collective - Centipede Hz
Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper
>>
>>63368305
What reddit thing? Link?
>>
>>63368324
https://www.reddit.com/r/indieheads/comments/47lfdz/hi_its_animal_collective_ama/

Same thread where Panda reveals his favorite video games.
>>
>>63368305
I didn't like Strawberry Jam very much. Lyrics were okay, but the production was nothing new.
>>
>>63368346
Cool
>>
>>63368323

okay maybe I should have clarified, one that ISN'T made by any of the members of AnCo, cause that's kinda cheating.
>>
>>63368391
Gonna have to disagree, it had the perfect blend of the electrical feeling of their most recent stuff and the hazy feeling of Person Pitch. It was definitely a leap for them from Feels, and I think it was an excellent step from acoustic to electronic (even though they've been using synths since Spirit, their stuff has definitely been guitar-focused until Strawberry Jam.

And Water Curses is one of their best records in terms of production in my opinion.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.