[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Led Zeppelin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 4
File: robert-plant-203302.jpg (24 KB, 300x470) Image search: [Google]
robert-plant-203302.jpg
24 KB, 300x470
Overrated, underrated, or rated just right?
>>
they're alright alright alright baby.
>>
one of the best bands ever
>>
Robert was so fucking hot goddamn
>>
File: 1387883754405.jpg (28 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1387883754405.jpg
28 KB, 375x375
they're a radio singles band, you know what i mean? when they're good it's real good, but most of the time it's unlistenable shit and there's no album i think that's excellent the whole way through
>>
Absolutely not. They're guilty of the following atrocious crimes against music:

1. Making entire albums out of stolen blues licks and saying OH YEAH YEAH YEAH BABY BABY OH BABY 50x a song
2. Inspiring all of the overwrought hair metal/cockrock/lighter-waving arena rock bullshit
3. Releasing singles that have been played on the radio 40x every day for the last 40+ years
4. The ultimate casual, normalfag band that back in the day appealed to normalfag white suburban teens who grew up to be accountant minivan dads that tortured their kids by forcing them to listen to dadrock on the radio as they're driving them to soccer practice
>>
>>63364601
>The ultimate casual, normalfag band that back in the day appealed to normalfag white suburban teens who grew up to be accountant minivan dads that tortured their kids by forcing them to listen to dadrock on the radio as they're driving them to soccer practice

I'm sorry you have issues with your father, Anon.
>>
File: IMG_5729.png (56 KB, 800x495) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5729.png
56 KB, 800x495
>>63364601
100% Agreed.

The band has zero complexity, and faggots only like music below 1985 for reasons unknown.

Newer music is better produced, and easier to listen to. If you disagree, and like your staticy mic'd music for nostalgic reasons... You're just a lost cause, and should off yourself.

Also, you probably live in the states highlighted in red.
>>
>>63364729
>>63364601
For God's sake, they had songs other than Black Dog and Stairway. The deep cuts especially are often fantastic and more interesting to listen to than the 4-5 overplayed classic rock radio staples.
>>
>>63364758
I just listened to IV and the only song that didn't sound like some sort of 70's vaporwave was Stairway to Heaven.
>>
Zeppelin are great, but you tend to hear their songs everywhere growing up so it gets overdone.

>>63364729
What's so special about 1985? Some of the best modern music was made in the early 80's, particularly 1982.
>>
>>63364601
>2. Inspiring all of the overwrought hair metal/cockrock/lighter-waving arena rock bullshit

So I guess Staind and Nickelback are Kurt Cobain's fault too?
>>
>>63364782
kids these days, I swear
>>
>>63364798
>What's so special about 1985? Some of the best modern music was made in the early 80's, particularly 1982.

I agree actually 1985 was a pretty unmemorable year. 86 had a major pop release in True Blue and a couple of landmark metal records, but 85 was quite thin on both rock and pop.
>>
They're rated 101 different ways, but I think they're definitely awesome.

Aside from objective quality of the music, they were also hugely influential.
>>
I went on the Tube and pulled up Black Dog, but WMG took down almost every non-live version so I only could find the digital remaster which sounds off. Eventually I did find a video which was supposedly of the original UK vinyl mix.
>>
>>63364819
85 had Songs from the Big Chair and No Jacket Required, but yeah it was otherwise pretty thin for pop. A couple rap albums, but mid 80's rap was still pretty awful.
>>
>>63364805
Cobain never stole licks from black bluesmen that I'm aware of and he also didn't want his band to become normalfag lighter-waving arena rock.
>>
>>63364601
/theead
>>
>>63364819
On the downside, three major rock acts of the era (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Van Halen) released albums in 86 that signaled the beginning of their decline.
>>
>>63364513
like all the very best bands, a little of all three
>>
Just right.
>>
>>63364513
I think some of their stuff is underrated and some of it is overrated. And some of it is just right.
>>
>>63364819
85 also saw arguably the weakest of the classic Motley Crue albums.
>>
>>63364919
No, he just stole licks from The Pixies and claimed he didn't want to have normalfag fans as his videos were playing on MTV 55 times a day.
>>
Led Zeppelin isn't even the best rock band in the Beatles
>>
>>63364919

>Cobain never stole licks from black bluesman
what is "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?"
>>
>>63365056
A cover.
>>
>>63365070
That he gave proper credit to the original author, not the outright theft done by Led Zeppelin and Metallica of other people's shit.
>>
>>63364513
They're good, but they can a little boring after a while.
>>
great individual members whose output was consistently less then sum of their collective talents.

I've come to prefer their longer tracks, it forced them to let their compositions breath.
Punk's better though
>>
Their first 3 albums are derivative but Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti are masterpieces.
>>
And like the Beatles, they broke up when their respective decade was over and never hung on past their time ala Rolling Stones or something.
>>
>>63365130
Zeppelin were finished by mid-decade, dude. PG was the end. They were already a zombie band by the time Carter was president.
>>
>>63364805
Welp, Xgau liked Zeppelin but he hated the derivative arena/hairspray shit they spawned.
>>
>>63365010
underrated
>>
>>63365229
Xgau is also a godawful critic so there's that too
>>
>>63365249
Oh boo hoo, he didn't like ITCOCK. Get over it.
>>
Does Queen or Zeppelin trigger /mu/ more?
>>
"As great a guitarist as he was, I never saw Page play well live."

-- Eddie Van Halen
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyIC50gnsT8
>>
>>63364513
They're only overplayed in the parts of the world where English is the main language. I just discovered stairway to heaven two years ago. Good song. Great band. Not being force fed helps.
>>
>>63365264
He also dislikes a lot of landmark records in rock music just because "hurr durr muh betlass" and he thinks he can judge an entire bands discography based off of one of their worst albums. That man is legitimately retarded, and not in an ironic or memeing sense
>>
>>63364601
this tbfqh
>>
>>63365279
Queen is the worse easily because they're just a singles band and also how many bands have ever claimed Queen as an inspiration? Essentially the entirety of rock and metal from 1970 through the early 90s rested on the foundation LZ built.
>>
>>63365301
He did shit on RHCP though, so I love him for that.
>>
>>63364601
They're only really responsible for the first one. They can't really help radio overplay or watered-down copycat bands.
For the record, I don't even like Zep.
>>
>>63365296
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fiaX3v4E4
>>
>>63364601
Forgot all the rapes of underage groupies.
>>
>>63365336
And Oasis. He also shit on them.
>>
>>63365336
And there's also the fact that despite pic related he still thinks he has the right to fucking call himself "the dean of rock critics". I don't think I've ever disliked a person I've never actually met more than I dislike Christgau.
>>
>>63365411
He was reasonably fair to the Big Four thrash bands despite his anti-metal sentiment. Actually gave Reign In Blood a B+.
>>
>tfw you walk into the guitar shop and some kid is playing stairway to heaven really poorly

every single time
>>
>>63365367
Nothing wrong with that. As long as I don't have to listen to them sing about it.
>>
>>63365443
That or Enter Sandman.
>>
>>63365440

That's because they were popular as shit, even more so than Oasis or RHCP. If he were to give them a more negative review people would smack the shit out of him.

And have you noticed that all the man really does is use "art rock" as a buzzword for "rock music that i don't like because it challenges my tiny little brain's preconceptions on the genre".
>>
>>63365461
What do you think The Lemon Song and Black Dog were about, you ding dong.
>>
>>63365475
>Slayer
>bigger and more mainstream/normalfag than RHCP
Yeah, I don't think so.
>>
>>63365477
The Lemon Song isn't even one of their originals (Well, mostly). The cringey cock rock lyrics that David Coverdale built his whole career on were mainly down to Plant, who wasn't a pedo, that was Page.
>>
>>63365440
>>63365475
I think it's more likely because the B4TB were rooted strongly in punk, which he worships (Iron Maiden didn't exactly have any punk in their sound)
>>
>>63365506
>Plant
>the guy who lived with a 14 year old groupie for a year
>not a pedo
Uh...
>>
>>63365490
Look at the number of people who talk about Slayer now and the number of people who talk about RHCP.
>>63365512
Explain Spiderland
>>
>>63365506
>The cringey cock rock lyrics that David Coverdale built his whole career on

Ditto Kiss, Van Halen, and Motley Crue who were the world champions of writing song lyrics with your dick.
>>
>>63365524
Do you mean Lori Maddox? Again, that was Page.
>>
>>63365534
I'm fairly sure I've never heard a Slayer song on the radio at the 7-11 while I sure as fuck have heard Dani California.
>>
The point was more that you never hear of any band citing BSSM as an inspiration while a very large number of bands have cited Reign In Blood as an inspiration. So no matter how much radio play RHCP gets, they're an evolutionary dead end and influenced nothing.
>>
Or Motley Crue. They didn't influence any bands of note either. That's how you separate the true music greats (Beatles, Zeppelin, Sabbath) from the bands who were huge in their time, but led to nothing (Queen, GNR, RHCP).
>>
>>63365557
>>63365614
It's scary to think, but Kiss would go on the former because all the 80s hairspray bands were influenced by them.
>>
>>63364557
hello faggot

>>63364601
lol you too edgemaster
>>
Overrated by Reddit and the internet
Underrated by /mu/
>>
>>63365443
>walk into music store
>some dude playing stiarway to heaven on a ukelele

Always gets a chuckle out of me
>>
Music critics like Xgau are usually pretty good (much better than casuals like us - that's why they're professional critics and you're not) at detecting what artists are talented and what aren't. He clearly knew back in the early 70s that Zeppelin were breaking new ground while Motley Crue years later weren't. Granted, the guy wasn't perfect and he relentlessly shit on Sabbath as they were inventing a whole new genre of guitar music, but then again, he admits to not liking that particular genre, so w/e.
>>
>>63365614
Obviously they're not on the level of the other 3, but Queen's early work in particular heavily influenced a ton of prog and power metal bands, particularly in Europe. Plus all the shredders, as well as outright unusual players like Ty Tabor, all have a giant boner for Brian May. Hell, Queen's influence is still felt in garbage like Muse and faggots like Mika.
>>
>>63365592
Most critics have respect for Flea and Frusciante, but they don't like RHCP as a band.
>>
>>63364601
>tips fedora
>>
>>63365687
>Obviously they're not on the level of the other 3, but Queen's early work in particular heavily influenced a ton of prog and power metal bands, particularly in Europe
That might be the thing. Queen's influence is more direct in Yurorock than American rock. This could also be said of Iron Maiden. While very much respected by Anglo metalheads, their biggest impact was on continental Europe's rock scenes.

If anything, Judas Priest influenced US/UK/Australian metal more than Maiden did.
>>
>>63365719
Well, Queen basically committed career suicide in the States with the music video for I Want to Break Free, but still stayed fucking huge in Europe right through the '80s and '90s.

I don't even particularly like Queen, but it's silly how large portions of /mu/ constantly wants to sell them short in regards to how popular and influential they were/are.
>>
>>63365614
>>63365631
You still hear AC/DC talked about, you still hear Metallica talked about. But you don't see Kiss or Van Halen mentioned much anymore.
>>
>>63365765
Motley Crue were already the butt of jokes by the Clinton years.
>>
>>63365746
Rather that should be early '90s. Though Made in Heaven charted well, Brian May and Roger Taylor had a lot of success in Europe with their solo work, and that pseudo-reunion at the AIDS benefit in France in the late '90s was a big deal at the time, so you get the idea.

>>63365765
I can't speak for KISS, but Ed's battle with the bottle largely doomed Van Halen from ever getting back on top after the disaster in the mid-late '90s. That said, alongside Def Leppard, they were one of the few bands of that genre to actually survive grunge and still have a ton of commercial success for the most part.
>>
>>63365765
>>63365784
I think those bands are just associated with rock star decadence and waving your dick around on stage. Not that AC/DC were innocent of that, but they did influence actual good bands while I'm not aware that Kiss influenced any non-shitty groups.
>>
>>63365815
>>63365765
Van Halen died in 1985. The Hagar-era band wasn't Van Halen, it was a lame-ass Top 40 soccer mom anthem factory.
>>
I like led Zeppelin II, and as far as it goes for me in terms of albums. They have a couple of good singles. I was never overexposed to them, so I guess that helps with me.

However, the fact that they plagiarized so much kind of ruins part of their stuff, even if they are fine songs in it themselves. Also, their lyrics can sometimes leave much to be desired.
>>
>>63365815
>That said, alongside Def Leppard, they were one of the few bands of that genre to actually survive grunge and still have a ton of commercial success for the most part

There was still very much a market for good-time fun arena rock; not everyone wanted to be a mopey faggot who wore ripped jeans and worshiped smelly junkies who killed themselves.
>>
>>63365854
There was plenty of great guitar playing in the context of good songs on those records, though. F.U.C.K. is a great rock album and just as heavy as anything they ever did with Roth. And hell, what was Roth doing at that stage? He had terrifyingly good musicians like Vai, Sheehan and Bissonette, and what was he doing? Putting out crap like Goin' Crazy, which is just as inane as Why Can't This Be Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-eR35VoDOg
>>
>>63365885
F.U.C.K really just lacks any good melodies or hooks. That's the problem with it. On Top Of The World is also the epitome of why people don't like the Hagar era band - that song sounds like it belongs in a car commercial.
>>
And as popular as it is to shit on REO Speedwagon, Doobie Brothers, and especially Eagles for their overplayed singles, all of those bands were a major influence on country.
>>
>>63365959
Yeah see, I'd disagree with that. Stuff like Runaround and The Dream Is Over is extremely hook-y. Plus the performances and production on that album are stellar (AVH's best ever snare sound? Maybe).
>>
>>63365975
I don't remember anyone ever shitting on REO and Doobie Brothers. Besides, their singles aren't played a tenth as much as the Eagles' singles.
>>
>>63365959
Top of the World was designed for maximum commerciality so of course it's going to sound like that. The deep cuts are the real meat of the album.
>>
>>63365833
>Not that AC/DC were innocent of that, but they did influence actual good bands

The second you put on For Whom The Bell Tolls and hear that chime, you know just where the fuck Metallica got the idea from.
>>
>>63364601
Most tired, worthless opinion in the world. A disingenuous argument repeated by resentful 'punks' and irrelevant bores.
>>
>>63365883
That is true. Even with their overplayed music videos, Nirvana were far from a normalfag band. And neither were Soundgarden and AIC. Lots of people hated grunge and its fans and resented the disappearance of AC/DC's kind of rock. Plenty of average suburban teens and soccer moms went for Hagar-era Van Halen. So no, the market for "fun" rock didn't quite vanish the way it often seems.
>>
>>63364557
led zeppelin 2 and 4
>not excellent all the way through
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.