[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vinyl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: 1458188512211.jpg (812 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
1458188512211.jpg
812 KB, 1500x1000
Is vinyl a meme?

Should I sink money into this if I just like collecting stuff, not necessarily listening to music? Does it actually sound better?
>>
It's fun to collect
I like the big art and the whole ritual of it
>>
Depends on your player, your headphones, and if it was recorded on an analog format

Also I like holding physical media.
>>
it doesn't sound better, it sounds different
do you have any friends with record players? ask them to play you a record. see if you like it.
then consider if collecting records as a hobby is financially viable for you

also vinyl isn't a meme, it's a material. collecting vinyl records could be considered a meme
>>
>>63364092
>I just like collecting stuff, not necessarily listening to music
Vinyl has bigger album art, which I imagine collectors would like.
>>
Unless you're willing to spend close to $1000, or maybe more, you probably won't notice any difference, unless, perhaps, sound quality is something you're schooled in.
>>
>>63364139
I just want something that wont destroy the record.
>>
I don't see the point in starting a collection if you haven't already. Especially if you're asking.

If you were meant to have a physical collection, you would just buy records anyways, because you like it.
>>
File: bird.jpg (121 KB, 462x810) Image search: [Google]
bird.jpg
121 KB, 462x810
>>63364092

Collecting records is embarrassing. It's just like someone who collects Star Wars dolls
>>
File: 107428975.jpg (105 KB, 475x361) Image search: [Google]
107428975.jpg
105 KB, 475x361
>>63364158
Look at the poorfag, everybody!
>>
>>63364092
/mu/tant here

I like records because of their nostalgic and collectors value as I was around them alot when I was younger. I download most of my music, But special releases I like to buy on different medias. Analog recordings sound better on vinyl, electronic music that is digitally recorded sound better on CDs and theres a few interesting things you can find out there only on tapes. if you want to just collect go ahead and grab whatever.
>>
>>63364158
are you kidding lol
girls dig it
if you have a few tumblr-core records and bring a girl back to your place & tell 'em to pick out a record you're as good as gold
>>
>>63364194
scratch the first line, thought i was somewhere else for a moment.
>>
File: 1443769816587.png (264 KB, 1638x1912) Image search: [Google]
1443769816587.png
264 KB, 1638x1912
>>63364139
you'll notice the difference right away. Expensive table or cheap, old record or new it doesn't matter. as soon as you drop the needle on any record

hssssssss *crackle
>>
>>63364243
Yes, forgot that bit.
>>
>>63364092
Vinyl and cassette tapes are both a big part of music as a hobby for me. Digital music is the standard to such an extent these days that there's something special about the whole ritual of having to unpack your media and load it into/onto a device in order to listen to it, and having to make sure you store and maintain it correctly so you can continue listening to it. Music in the 2000s is formless, so it's reassuring to be able to feel the weight of it in your hands.

Does the above sound like something you relate to? Then vinyl might be for you. Does it sound like bullshit? Better stick to itunes and spotify.
>>
>>63364092
>Is vinyl a meme?
idk about a meme, but certainly a fad.
>Should I sink money into this if I just like collecting stuff, not necessarily listening to music?
I don't understand why you would just enjoy collecting stuff, but my answer would be If you can find something cheaper and more space-efficient to collect, I would go with that (lookin at you, CDs)
>Does it actually sound better?
Better than what? CDs? MP3 320? MP3 256? FLAC? no. it sounds worse than all of these. Sounds better than tapes I guess.
>>
>>63365132
>vinyl
>fad
cmon lad
>>
>>63364158
this
>>
It's a trend for sure, and I don't see it lasting forever. However I don't really care if it's a meme/trendy or not, since I'll continue to collect.

Personally, I at least feel as though it sounds better. Plus it helps me focus much more on the music when it's on vinyl. Holding the artwork and all the tidbits while listening makes for a unique experience that isn't the same when you are in front of your monitor.

It can be expensive, and sometimes I regret spending money on it. But owning my favorite records is an amazing feeling so I'd say it's worth it.
>>
>>63365139
This shit will be over in a few years, but it has to run its course. First, it will go mainstream (we are seeing the beginning of this), then the cool kids will walk away from it. One direction is releasing picture discs. I give it 10 years tops before it's all over.
>>
The main thing that made me start to collect is, the feeling when you are holding your favourite album just feels good
And the album art is different on vinyl sometimes in comparison to cd album which is used on mp3 files
>bad english sorry
>>
>>63365154
can you explain to me how owning the records is any different from owning the CDs, and how either of these are better from just having a library of good quality audio files? Not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to figure out why people enjoy records in particular?
>>
>>63365162
They said that when CDs got big, and it never happened. It's always going to have a following. Its popularity may wane, but just because something falls out of the mainstream doesn't mean it's dead.
>>
>>63365187
>how owning the records is any different from owning the CDs

Bigger artwork, typically more effort put into the packaging, and a different sound depending on if it's coming from the computer or your record player. At least personally I find that owning the psychical format of albums is a much nicer experience. But that's just me personally.

Also I forgot to mention, it's a way that I get to support the artist if I like their album.
>>
File: cute anime pic 0281.png (947 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
cute anime pic 0281.png
947 KB, 720x720
I can only think of collecting memenyl to get my hands on all those edm tracks that I might miss. But that would interfere with my collecting of anime figures. Also shipping costs are gross and the record shops in the area don't give a shit about techno and stock rock shit, old jazz that no one cares about and maybe some r&b and classical.

>no edm records at the local stores
>shipping for a 12" record is $4 domestic
>less money for anime figures and more important financial shit

Why would I spend money on records and a turntable instead of first investing in a nice stereo system. Listening to music is one of my hobbies, not collecting it.
>>
>>63365187
Personally, because >>63364831. It's pretentious bullshit, I know, but it's my reason.
>>
File: imrs.php.jpg (215 KB, 1484x888) Image search: [Google]
imrs.php.jpg
215 KB, 1484x888
>>63365210
>They said that when CDs got big, and it never happened.
yes. It did happen. People stopped buying records to the point that labels stopped printing records altogether. Look at this chart and tell me that Vinyl didn't die by like 1997 or '98. And even in the current "vinyl revival", the number of units being sold is still a miniscule fraction compared to the past.
>>
i start to collect it because i got into techno house and reggae stuff and theres still alot of vinyl only releases.

if you listen to modern hip hop/pop or whatever i would probably not bother with it.
>>
>>63365312

yes of course the sales went down that doesnt mean it was dead
>>
>>63365363
yeah well the sales pretty much went all the way down to zero and labels stopped printing them, so yeah I would say it was dead.
>>
>>63365404

maybe mainstream labels.
maybe you should realize theres more than mainstream labels.
and theres plenty of records from 1997-98.
>>
>>63365441
oh thanks I didn't fucking realize that there's more than just mainstream labels. Records are only for "special editions". Even people who collect them don't listen to them excliusively. Compared to downloading or even CDs, it is just a very inconvenient way to listen to music, therefore the vast majority of people choose not to listen to records, and soon the vinyl revival will die.
>>
there's still so much music that's vinyl exclusive and hasn't been ripped or isn't easy to find online, especially it's music from outside the us, uk, or europe. so much japanese music i'll have to hunt down vinyl for
>>
It sounds better if it's analogue and not a digital remaster.
>>
If you enjoy buy vinyls, buy them. Personally i don't like vinyls, i listened to the vinyls my father bought 30 years a go and they are mostly damaged. When i played the, you hear a constant cracking sound, which is very annoying.
I also don't like vineyls because they use too much space and very expensive.
The ony thing i like about them is really admiring the art cover. Like watching the cover of King Crimson ITCOCK...it's really awesome.
But i rather buy cd's, especially on amazon uk, where they are so cheap.
>>
>>63365332>>63365332
Yep, same here. I have Found tons of 90s techno singles and EPs on the cheap. For more current rock stuff i wouldn't bother.
>>
>>63367681
Saying vinyls makes you look like a child. At least use the right grammer
>>
>>63364092
Don't fall for it, the novelty soon wears off.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.