[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The list goes on...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 2191bbed.jpg (62 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
2191bbed.jpg
62 KB, 658x658
Which is better: this or Syro?
>>
Syro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tomorrow's Harvest
>>
i prefer it to syro but i also prefer BOC to AFX in general
>>
File: 1447120477151.jpg (50 KB, 736x724) Image search: [Google]
1447120477151.jpg
50 KB, 736x724
Well i had a lot of fun with Syro and on the other hand Tomorrow's Harvest did give me the impression of Snores of Canada which i have felt on some of their tracks but not the entirety of an album before.

i do listen to Boards of Canada much more than Aphex though and prefer them in general
>>
I initially preferred Syro but I've gotten way more mileage out of Tomorrow's Harvest so I'll choose BoC. I think Rushup Edge is the superior later-career acid release from Richard.
>>
>>63361315
>>63361445
>>63361513
All of these
Syro was a 7.5/10, TH was a 6.5/10 and generally disappointing. Syro at least moved forward with the Tuss style and made it poppier along with having a feeling that the mixing/mastering was very 'close' to the hardware
In general BoC >>> RDJ though
>>
>>63361820
TH was a step in a new direction for BoC as well. Whether that direction was successful is up to the individual to decide (imo some aspects were, some weren't) but I scratch my head when I read that it was just BoC-by-the-numbers.
>>
>>63361892
I'd agree it was a new direction, it's just that it was more a sidestep than a step forward.
>>
File: ccai.jpg (203 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
ccai.jpg
203 KB, 1400x1400
Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments > Syro >Tomorrow's Harvest

Also, random RDJ soundcloud stuff has been pretty good too if you haven't heard it.
>>
>>63361917
Oh yeah, I can see that. I think one issue was that they took away many of the aspects that people love about them (strong melodies, off-beat sense of humor, hard-hitting and sort of grimy hip-hop rhythms, frayed and well-worn production etc.) and didn't really supplant it with anything else. I think they stuck too close to this concept they had in their heads of a post-apocalyptic sci-fi film soundtrack and ended up making....a movie soundtrack. Which isn't totally bad (it's super cinematic and works very well for things like long drives or walks), but it feels like half a vision consequently.
>>
honestly not sure
I liked tomorrow's harvest because it was a continuation; it was the next logical and musical step in BoC's catalog
but I liked syro because it was the epitome of nostalgia; the album sounded like it was meant to be released in the late 90s, but it was accidentally released into a wormhole straight to 2014.

in my opinion, they are two good albums from two good artists and not entirely comparable aside from both of them being labeled "idm"

actually haven't listened to either in a while, gonna go do that tonight while playin some ff8
>>
>>63362420
>not entirely comparable aside from both of them being labeled "idm"
it's why "idm" is one of the most useless labels there is, really.
>>
>>63362495
exactly
wish it was easier to describe music to people using colors but "yellow and green citrusy dnb" gets some rly confused faces
>>
neither were very good, though both were better than damogen furies at least.
>>
>>63363585
I never even listened to that
>>
It makes me uneasy to listen to TH alone, so even though it's a pretty decent album, I don't like to listen to it... on the other hand I can get away with playing most Syro tracks at a party and not feel like I'm alienating people
>>
>>63364856
barely anybody listens to squarepusher at this point desu
>>
File: sorryweredead.png (888 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
sorryweredead.png
888 KB, 1000x1000
>>63360900

any BOC release blows away anything made by aphex twin. in my opinion. i still dig aphex twin though.
>>
syro but its a close call

boc have some great tracks but the albums as a whole seem weak imo
>>
bump
boc deserve more discussion here desu
>>
Too easy, Syro bodies arpeggio-core the album.
>>
>>63371228
retard
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.