[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this album considered among the greatest of all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 500x500
Why is this album considered among the greatest of all time?
>>
>>63355137

Because it's among the greatest albums of all time.
>>
have you even heard it? just listen and figure it out for yourself, nothing anyone says here will convince you

theres a whole wikipedia article you can read going on and on about how good it is, so just read that

this is a pointless slide thread
>>
>>63355153
It literally is.

Brian is a genius and a forsaken gift from God.

We'll never have another like him.
>>
Because Pitchfork gave it a good rating
>>
lush instrumentation
rich sounding harmonies
great song writing

not for everyone though, i got a friend who thinks the harmonies are too easy and straight forward (they are but they sound great imo)
>>
>>63355137
It's for people who dislike the Beatles because it's not cool to like the Beatles. It's a subpar mix of Help!, Rubber Soul, and Revolver rip-offs.
>>
>>63355271
>>
>>63355271
ain't got to be a competition
>>
>>63355227
They gave it 7.5 at first and then deleted it, so that argument is fucking wrong you twat
>>
It was way ahead of its time. The writting, arrangement, and production were very visionary. They were already known for their great harmonies, but pet sounds took it to even greater hights. Its become kind of a meme here but it really still is one the the best albums of the 20th century.
>>
Because of unique experimentation in the recording process that was first of it's kind
>>
>>63355271

here's your (You)
>>
>>63355271
It's actually better than any album the Beatles ever did. Revolver and Rubber Soul are so overrated it makes me cringe. Even Paul McCartney admitted it blew his mind, and he was the one who made Rubber Soul, the supposed inspiration for Pet Sounds itself.
>>
Above all. Its a deeply personal work
>>
File: phil_spector2.jpg (49 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
phil_spector2.jpg
49 KB, 500x250
Pet Sounds is perhaps the most overrated album ever. It’s a good album, with three incredible songs that are among their best; “God Only Knows,” “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” and “Sloop John B.” “I Know There’s An Answer” almost reaches that level, as does “You Still Believe In Me.” But that’s it. It’s not that the remainder of the songs are poor, it’s just that they’re not all that incredible. Combining that with the somewhat baroque production, you’ve got a very good but very flawed album.

What accounts for the lionization of Pet Sounds? For starters, there’s the story of Brian Wilson, the tortured artiste who battled his own demons and his own band (Mike Love fought him all the way on it) in making the record. Then, after producing Pet Sounds, he finally cracked up, a victim of too many drugs and trying to top Sgt. Pepper. It’s the kind of stuff that myths are made of, and it’s an irresistible story line. Secondly, there are Wilson’s production skills – which have been blown all out of proportion. (Wilson’s true production moment of genius was “Good Vibrations.”) Brian Wilson was a great producer, but listening to Pet Sounds you hear the heavy influence of the true master producer of the era – Phil Spector. Wilson literally worshipped Spector and learned everything from him. Reading lots of the over the top rubbish about the production on Pet Sounds, where Spector’s name is barely ever mentioned, you come to realize that there are a lot of people in the world who no clue as to Spector’s influence on Wilson. (The Wrecking Crew, Spector’s house band, played on many Beach Boys’ songs). And finally, the record was a (relative) commercial failure at upon release. So then the narrative becomes the misunderstood genius that is underappreciated after he becomes a “serious artist.” If you were going to write a indie rock biblical fable, it doesn’t get any better than that.
>>
Because Brian Wilson had sex with goats on acid and this was the result.
>>
>>63355388
So basically Wilson improved upon Spector's production, his idol, and apparently that's a bad thing?

Kek if that's the best argument anyone has against this album, they are doomed to fail.
>>
>>63355388
(You)
>>
>>63355388
inb4 people take the bait

Any post longer then a sentence on 4chan is copypasta
>>
>>63355227
>the album was 40 fucking years old when they reviewed it
>>
>>63355543
Or autism.
>>
>>63355571
not like anyone actually bothered listening to it before Pitchfork reviewed it. Pitchfork is the only reason any album ever made is popular.
>>
The Smile Sessions are better. More musical ideas, more complex, more lush and layered, more fun to listen to. But Pet Sounds has vaguely emo lyrics that beta nerds can latch onto, even though Brian didn't even write them himself.
>>
>>63355388

this is so true but everyone will dismiss it because they've listened to so little music and can't imagine anything possibly being better than Pet Sounds.
>>
>>63355624
The lyrics were by Asher yes but Asher says the general ideas were of Briand and all of the lyrics stemmed from conversations that Brian and Asher had about certain topics
>>
>>63355624
>>63355666
(You)
>>
>>63355695

prove him wrong
>>
the only songs on pet sounds that sound even remotely like spector are wouldn't it be nice, the title track and here today. the rest is wilson's own doing.

spector is undoubtedly a better producer and songwriter, but brian's intimacy is unparalleled.
>>
>>63355770
>spector is a better songwriter

What drew to that?
Songs like Surfs Up, Wind Chimes, the ending suite to the album Surfs Up, are just some of Pop musics strongest contribution...
>>
>>63355722
>More musical ideas
Fair enough
>more complex
"no"
>more lush and layered
"no"
>more fun to listen to
what difference does that make

That shit about emo lyrics honestly makes no sense, and even if it did, it wouldn't be a point to say - "hey that makes this album worse". I'll take emo lyrics over nursery rhymes every day of the week.

Face it mate, Pet Sounds is the showstopper, the big one, the pop definer. There's no denying it. It's not stop, start wishy washy incomplete ramblings, it's a cohesive, lush tour de force with Brian getting the very best out of his studio band in his own perfect way.

But if you're happy chirping along to a song about vegetables be my guest.
>>
>>63355770
Wilson>Spector on songwriting too. His melodies just don't have changes like Brian's.
>>
>>63355819
yea i'll give you that surf's up is probably better than anything spector ever wrote. the song, that is, certainly not the album.

>>63355864
i think it comes down to whether you prefer heavy progressions in your pop music or not. spector is definitely the best songwriter out of the latter, and from the former, well idrk because i don't listen to much progressive pop music.
>>
>>63355770
>>63355934
shut the fuck up
>>
File: image.jpg (188 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
188 KB, 300x300
Eh I've always liked Smile more.
>>
The songwriting is amazing, simply put.

Take a look at a song like God Only Knows, for a bit. Analyse it - see how Brian seems to almost completely avoid having the bass part play the root until the chorus, the subtle transposition up a fourth for the third chorus, etc.

It's pretty fucking complex, but you wouldn't know it listening to it, because it's written very intelligently. It gives the false impression of simplicity because it has great, "human" melodies.

Every song on the album is like that - the melodies aren't simple, the chords can get complicated, yet the songs always seem to evolve completely naturally. The transposition on That's Not Me ("I SOON found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty") seems like it should stick out like a sore thumb if you read it on paper, and yet it revolves absolutely effortlessly, somehow.

You might say that "being complex" is just equivalent to showing off, and you wouldn't really be wrong in a way, but I think in the case of Pet Sounds it works because it provides songs that *seem* normal, but aren't. The songs seem to come naturally, but have this nice "something isn't quite right" feeling about them.

You could analyse for hours why and how Brian Wilson achieves that, but really, that's my main thing I love about Pet Sounds. Smart yet emotional writing.

That the instrumentation & vocal performances are also amazing is almost secondary. Almost. The lyrics are good, but they might be the most outdated aspect - they haven't badly aged to the point that they become cringeworthy, but they don't seem to have quite the same depth as they would have, forty years ago, since we've gotten so used to music dealing with serious subjects.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 411x358) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 411x358
>>63356878
>I've always liked Smile more.
>>
>>63355137
a lot of people will tell you that the album is bad only because of how immensely acclaimed it is: that triggers a lot of contrarian faggots.

they're wrong
>>
>>63357062
/thread
>>
>>63356808
>Filename
>That cringeworthy reaction image
>9gag tier argument
>Actually thinks he's right

all of nu-/mu/ should just kill itself
>>
>>63355137
Good question
>>
>>63355271
that's not true though
I like the beatles and the beach boys.
it's completely different music
>>
>>63357269
Stop trying to objectify your subjective opinion when you know that's all you're doing.
>>
I was just perusing the archive for a dl link for pet sounds, actually, but all the links are broken

Does anyone have this in FLAC or 320 that they would be willing to upload/give me a link to?
>>
If you listened to it and you couldn't tell immediately, I just don't know how I can help you. It's a masterpiece, extremely consistent, and is just pop at its perfect balance between artfulness and accessibility. Think about it, OP.
>>
>>63357917
kat cr/2001-the-beach-boys-pet-sounds-remaster-stereo-flac-cue-100-xy-t7341093.html
>>
it sounds cool
>>
>>63355137
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvNXPkK7JY8
>>
>>63358838
thank you anon
>>
>>63355250
>i got a friend who thinks the harmonies are too easy and straight forward (they are but they sound great imo)

both of you are wrong. i challenge each of you to, by ear, put together an a capella cover of this entire album.

protip, you fucking can't, because the harmonies are incredibly complex, and it's very unlikely that either of you can step up to that task and are probably talking out of your asses.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.