[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the deal with samples and copyright? why is it legal?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
what's the deal with samples and copyright? why is it legal? can you sample anything?
>>
bump for serious discussion
>>
>>63347079
You can sample anything but the people who you do it from can deny or charge too much depending on how you used it. some ppl make the sample completely unrecognizable or some just let the whole thing play out with barely any change.
usual your label deals with it

Panda bear had alot of sampling clearance issues on the grim reaper which is why the mixtape is better because he didn't need to ask for clearance
>>
>>63347079
If you earn money with your music, you have to pay. Thats all
>>
>>63347171
What mixtape?
>>
>>63348360
Well you can usually get away with it I'd you mangle the source material beyond recognition (the jimi hendrix sample on DG'S punk weight is a good example of this), or if you sample extremely obscure stuff(MADLIB)
>>
>>63347079
Thsi nigga completley rips off Pink Floyd and people eat it up. That's why it's free.
>>
File: Panda_Bear_-_Crosswords.jpg (86 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Panda_Bear_-_Crosswords.jpg
86 KB, 900x900
>>63348653
Crosswords, came out last fall
>>
Once I read that the cost of the Fiiire sample of The Prodigy was 1000$
But that was an expensive one,I think. Whats the average cost of a sample?
>>
>>63347079
If you straight rip a sample you can be sued. If you straight rip a sample but don't monetize the resulting work, you probably won't be sued because the copyright owner isn't going to make any money off of it.

If you mash and fuck with a sample to the point where it is barely representative of the original sample, you're clear.

"Mixtapes" are generally works with lots of samples that haven't been cleared and therefore free.
>>
>>63348833
Yeah, a lot of panda's stuff got worse when sample removed
So much better when i could hear wimoweh in marijuana makes my day
And one song in that ep was significantly got bad in the release too dont member the name

Basically >>63349275 this but if you're sampling something that doesn't have the copyright anymore-like some old movies you're alright

I wonder how much these artists like the books and BoC had to clear the samples. I know most of the time they used safe stuff tho
>>
>>63348999
I wouldn't say there was an average cost of a sample. It just depends on if the original artist is ok with the sample being used and then they can set the cost - either a writing credit and cut of the profit or x amount of money for the sample. The bigger problems come when the samples aren't cleared but the songs are still sold (a la Kanye)
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.