[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into understanding genres? I honestly cannot tell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 640x480
How do I get into understanding genres? I honestly cannot tell what something is half the time I hear it. I can pinpoint a few broad ones but I can't further categorize them into subgenres. I absolutely don't know what to call most things that sound like "indie".

Is there a point that I should start and work my way up? Is knowledge music history a needed prerequisite? Do I need to train my ear to recognize time signatures and other components of music theory? (I'm pretty much tone deaf)
>>
>>63344995
Genres arent real the way you're thinking.
>>
You need to listen to more music then
>>
genres don't matter
>>
Knowledge of genres are helpful in that they help you find more things that sound like what you enjoy, but I can't imagine them inhibiting your ability to enjoy music right?
>>
>>63344995
Genres are buzzwords.
>>
>>63345039
I don't enjoy the music less but how am I supposed to have a discussion with someone? Plus the more I can categorize what something is the easier it'll be to find something similar
>>
>>63345075
You can just give it your best guess and slowly improve I guess. Indie and pop are really broad terms that apply to so much music that doesn't sound the same at all.
>>
>>63344995
genres don't matter its just a way to trick kids to join some "scene"
everything is either
electronic
acoustic
everything else is semantics
>>
>indie
>a genre
>ever
Please stop doing this
>>
>>63345241
Quotation marks boi
>>
once you listen to a genre a bit you'll get to understand it, then go from there, if you don't really listen to a genre how would you know what to look for to identify it?
>>
>>63344995
You don't need to know what fucking genre something is. The only use for such information is to circle-jerk and argue on /mu/ about whether something is post-funk grungecore or not.
>>
>>63345241
What part of "How do I get into understanding genres?" of his post you didnt got
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.