[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DEATH GRIPS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 11
File: INTERVIEW2016.jpg (238 KB, 1024x709) Image search: [Google]
INTERVIEW2016.jpg
238 KB, 1024x709
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtW7Qz0a3o0

So now the inital hype explosion is finished, how long did you watch the "interview" Before you realised it was just an instrumental?
For me, I got about 5 mins in, thinking it was some sort of intro, then I checked the comments, still felt pretty stupid
>>
>>63333233
roight until it ended
>>
>>63333263
this
best music they've put out since notm
>>
>>63333309
yikes. you must not listen to a lot of death grips.
>>
>>63333263
It was pretty amazing, on my second watching, I just sat with my headphones super loud, video on full screen, and just admired the art that unfolded in front of me
>>
>>63333408
Nah, it was pretty amazing, better than Fashion week though.

TPTB > TMS > INTERVIEW > EM > NLDW > GP

I haven't really listened to much Government Plates, so discard my opinion of it, if you disagree
>>
i really like that song claws of vegas that was leaked a while back
>>
>>63333734
xDDddDDDD funni meemee!!!!1111!!! xDD MeMeee'd friendo"!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lUtjcfiOjc

Fuck off, this shit isn't even slightly funny you fucking faggot go back to /b/
>>
File: nob.png (363 KB, 579x396) Image search: [Google]
nob.png
363 KB, 579x396
>>63333734
Christ, are you even old enough to be on here?, you look 14 at the most.
>>
>>63333925
whos that
>>
>>63333233
Around the 40 min mark
>>
IM SO NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
>>
What is DG's best track and why is it
>the fever
>>
>>63333233
I just skipped around. I'm not waiting 30 minutes for something to happen. Doesn't seem like I missed anything.
>>
File: 4L_1U5GFO07.png (133 KB, 609x392) Image search: [Google]
4L_1U5GFO07.png
133 KB, 609x392
Fuck you /mu/, your autism finally got to me, this happened today

>in film class
>have to show my short film
>soundtrack is track 2 from the new interview video
>by the end the entire class is in a mixed state of shock, confusion and rage
>"anon what motivated your choice of song"
>reflexively blurt out NEW DEATH GRIPS
>collective_what.ogg
>random qt from front row turns her head back at me, perplexed.
>prof asks me what I said
>begin to awkwardly summarize death grips
>nobody gets a single word
>"uh...ok class, let's move on to the next film"
>>
File: can't-wake-up.jpg (28 KB, 216x221) Image search: [Google]
can't-wake-up.jpg
28 KB, 216x221
Do you think Zach regrets forming Death Grips?
>>
>>63335195

You sound like the perfect candidate to shoot the next Dg music video
>>
>>63335195
>Class about creating
>People freaking out over soundtrack
Dude bun those people, they aren't the Luc Bessons of tomorrow.
>>
>>63335230

I don't get how people think Zach looks like he's dying

I saw him and he has this "sweaty old dad with two kids" look now
>>
>>63333233
I knew pretty much immediately. In fact, I had an inkling right before I even watched the video.

You know why?

Because Death Grips has taught me to NEVER expect the norm from them, to ALWAYS stay NOIDED and buckle up for the most utterly depraved, nihilistic and frankly FUCKED UP ride of a lifetime.
>>
>>63335763
didnt know fedora fits in with the dg image
>>
>>63335285
>I saw him and he has this "sweaty old dad with two kids" look now
So in other words he looks like he's dying.
>>
>>63335285
Im pretty sure he's at a high level of personal happiness spiritual completeness and general satisfaction with his existence
>>
>>63333233
Im wondering is psychoface gayboy is pissed that DG butchered his interview and will try to get the original released somehow
>>
i honestly can't believe that people are still buying that mystique that they try and play off.
>>
>>63336588
There isn't any mystique

They obviously just brought this unsespecting probably sychophant ryan seacrest wannabe type and played a bunch of agressive music to freak him out, its funny
>>
>>63335195
>"anon what motivated your choice of song"
>reflexively blurt out NEW DEATH GRIPS
thats incredible

Dude i have to give some presentation on visual art at the end of the semester im going to show a DG vid
>>
>>63336189
"Come on kids hop in the Subaru"

>>63336549
I would be if I could drum like that
>>
>>63335195
Your classmates sound like idiots. Although we haven't seen your film so that might have been horrible.

But you probably shouldn't have mentioned Death Grips. Just say something like "Oh I thought the music matched the imagery" or some BS.
>>
>The table's flipped, now we got all the coconuts, bitch!

what did he mean?
>>
>listening to any Death Grips after NLDW

lol
>>
>>63333333
>>
>>63338400
>The Powers That B isnt Death Grips' unabashed masterpiece
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you fucking idiot
>>
>>63335195
show us the film
>>
>>63338438
>I don't know what unabashed means but I use the term in casual conversation anyways
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you fucking idiot
>>
>>63338533
pussy
>>
NLDW > NOTM = GP > EXM > TMS > INTERVIEW > LFDV > FW

of course, this being an instrumental release, it does not hold up to any of their main releases. but i can't say i'm disappointed with the direction they're taking their music. it feels reminisent of vaporwave in a way.

after the wreck that was Hot Head, i can honestly say i have high hopes for bp again
>>
>>63338438
You're kidding, right? It's a bloated, masturbatory, rudderless piece of shit.
>>
>>63338611
>bloated
how
>masturbatory
how
>rudderless
literally how

youre a big fat dummy
>>
>>63338594
YOU NEED TO VIBRATE HIGHER SO YOU CAN CAPTURE THE OPENING OF THE PORTAL THAT CONNECTS THIS EARTH OF 3D TO ONE EARTH OF 4D OR 5D
>>
File: 1450576538198.png (265 KB, 339x393) Image search: [Google]
1450576538198.png
265 KB, 339x393
>>63338611
>masturbatory
haha who the FUCK uses masturbate in a sentence, nigga why the FUCK are you talkin about dicks haha
you mean the album feels good? yeah i'll give u that ; )
>>
track 3 > track 1 > track 2 > track 6 > track 4 > track 5
>>
official track titles:
1. Interview B
2. Interview P
3. Interview W
4. Interview H
5. Interview E
6. Interview N
>>
>>63339217
If you're gay
>>
>>63333233
Like 2 mins
>>
File: zazach.jpg (79 KB, 264x295) Image search: [Google]
zazach.jpg
79 KB, 264x295
>>63335230
That picture was just unfortunately timed. Zach looks fine.
>>
Lowkey it's why I fuck with Death Grips so heavy in the first place.

They just do whatever the fuck they want, and don't give a shit.

Tho parts of this interview sounds like a mix of b-sides from NOTM & NLDW
>>
>>63333509
>tptb that high
>tms that high
>em that low
>nldw that low

Go away. Bet you started listening to them after some facebook meme page referenced them or some shit.
>>
>>63338400
>listening to any Death Grips before NLDW

top pleb
>>
>>63335195

Can you judge my work please?

Please?!!?

I need validation for my 4chan humor

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBNYuFPGyvBWlxodKTONvJiEkwunLfq1M
>>
>>63333233
Same. About 5
>>
>>63335195
You shouldn't be embarrassed at all. People who are trying to contribute significantly to art should have at the bare minimum enough exposure to different music that theyre not perplexed fowards or terrified of something like death grips.
>>
>>63333509
>GP last

Laughingwhore.jpeg
>>
>>63335763
I laughed
>>
>>63340359
his eye is so off centered
>>
>>63341149
Tms and em are their best albums, nldw is ok but notm is pretty much shit desu.
>>
>>63341149
are you stupid?
some kid that discovered them through facebook memes would think TMS ExM and NLDW are the best because Fantano and stuff

Only patricians see that TPTB and GP are the best
>>
>>63341262
i think nldw is equal or even slightly above tms, em is definitely best. everything after nldw has a noticeable decline in quality across the board, and it's probably related to the fact that they feel obligated to release music every five minutes due to edgelord meme facebook normies.

>being a death grips fan since before TMS was released
feels good man
who remembers the ARG?
>>
File: zl8Be3w.gif (1 MB, 213x210) Image search: [Google]
zl8Be3w.gif
1 MB, 213x210
>>63341162
>https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBNYuFPGyvBWlxodKTONvJiEkwunLfq1M
>>63341162
>>
>>63341312
i'm talking more about the fact that people who like the latter albums tend to have heard them before the others

everything post-NLDW is just a rehash of TMS
>>
>>63341344
you're so wrong that it hurts

but I don't need to argue with people who have clearly inferior taste to me
>>
>>63341409
i'm obviously speaking largely from anecdote, so take that how you will

but at least i'm trying to elaborate beyond "your opinion is not mine so i don't like it"
>>
>>63336584
There was no interview you idiot.
>>
>>63341431
who cares who heard what album first lol, just be happy that they're not turned off (heh) like 95% of normies would be

post-NLDW Grips just sound way better to me, can't really explain it. The only songs from the first three albums that I really LOVE are probably Culture Shock, No Love and Bass Rattle Stars Out The Sky, while on the later albums every second or third track is incredible IMO. But maybe that's just me.
>>
>>63341561
you're right, i'm just being an angry hipster faggot because death grips has been a huge part of my life for years now, as gay as that sounds.

culture shock, no love and bass rattle are great fucking tracks, good choices.

i feel like the production on the latter albums is more tight and focused, though it draws more influence than TMS than EM which annoys me, i just feel like they've boxed themselves into a certain style with the later albums instead of innovating like they should. later albums are still good, don't get me wrong, but I think the first three encapsulate what "death grips" is better, and everything after NLDW is just re-treading old territory, as good as it may be. if someone were to play the interview and call it fashion week, i'd probably have no idea at the deception. that's obviously just me, but i hope that demonstrates what i'm trying to say.
>>
>>63333333
>>
>>63341250
I have a lazy eye and it creates the same effect.
>>
>>63335230
no, what a stupid fucking question
>>
File: losin' grip.jpg (108 KB, 596x671) Image search: [Google]
losin' grip.jpg
108 KB, 596x671
What I've found is that since NOTM dropped there have been less and less instances where I go back to Exmilitary and The Money Store in full. I think there's something missing from them, Ride's vocal performance feels more like an act on those album than it does this real primal thing. I think his voice packed a certain punch back on EXM that worked well on bangers but isn't particularly emotive outside of being loud.

But that isn't all there is to it either. The production was also different and while I miss it on some days, because at it's best (Beware, Takyon, Punk Weight, Get Got, Hacker) it's incredible, but a lot of the songs lack interesting soundscapes and atmosphere, compared to what came later on NLDW, GP and TPTB.

I really have no elitist approach to this, I don't think they have a clear best album. But I think they started tapping into something interesting with NLDW and the albums that came after.

As far as sampling, sound, production and mixing go, I think Government Plates is their best, but at the same time it's far from their best album because of how much of it is wasted on short songs that go nowhere. I'd love to see them return to that style in the future.
>>
>>63341328

Nigga I'm just trying to average 20,000 views

If it's shit, let a nigga know.
>>
>>63333509
>GP not at the very top
>but at the fucking end
>TMS ranked that high
This is what separates the patrician from the pleb.
>>
>>63341774
Meh the way you are describing it makes it sound like Ride is less focused on albums post TMS.
Which is absolutely true, and kind of a detriment. There are moments of total and complete focus on NotM and some moments on JD but NLDW, and GP lack an insane amount of focus in Rides lyrical content. Maybe it's just his non contemporary hooks that kind of make it seem that way.
>>
Did you guys hear about the theory that NOTM is a concept album about an alien abduction?
>>
>>63341906
explain
>>
>>63341906
Did you hear about the theory that TMS is a concept album about a man with hustle bones coming out of his mouth?
>>
>>63341906
never heard of it
>>
>>63336584
He literally thanked them for putting him in a music video
>>
>>63335195
show us the goddamn film fgt
>>
File: FB_IMG_1458102068372.jpg (39 KB, 604x401) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1458102068372.jpg
39 KB, 604x401
>>63334458
You mean On GP, obviously.
>>
File: 1456717772613.gif (2 MB, 187x155) Image search: [Google]
1456717772613.gif
2 MB, 187x155
>>63341344
>everything post-NLDW is just a rehash of TMS
>>
>>63341835
now you see, GP has some bangers at the start, but the 2nd half is among their worst.
>>
>>63341344
>everything post-NLDW is just a rehash of TMS

This is objectively untrue. Sorry.
>>
>>63342671
i got a (hustle) bone to pick
>>
>>63339217

1. Interview H
2. Interview O
3. Interview F
4. Interview M
5. Interview A
6. Interview N
>>
>>63341774
>But I think they started tapping into something interesting with NLDW and the albums that came after.

Yeah this. With GP they fully become the thing they're trying to channel for the first three releases. The first three feel far more deliberate, like they're trying to do something very specific, whereas later albums feel like they've unavoidably become that thing and everything feels much more natural and less forced.
>>
>>63335230
i bet he regrets doing heroin
>>
>>63333509
NOTM>NLDW>GP>TMS>EM>JD
>>
>>63343672
Very well put, I have to wholly agree.

TPTB>GP=TMS>NLDW>ExM
as far as album ranking goes in my opinion. This doesn't mean that I think ExM or NLDW are bad albums, DG doesn't have a bad album, just means that I think that the ones ranked higher are better.

Also top songs ATM

On GP
Artificial Death
Culture Shock
Hot Head
Billy Not Really
The Cage
>>
>>63343687
JD>TMS>NOTM>ExM>NLDW>GP

but every dg album is a masterpiece
>>
>>63343715
oh and ofc Interview 2
>>
>>63343687
>implying culture shock isn't a shit song
>>
Jesus christ andy, learn how to program drums
>>
>>63343687
>>63343716

On GP being potentially their best song isn't enough to save Jenny Death from being at least their most mediocre album. It's fine, it's just underwhelming compared to every other DG release.
>>
>>63343783
>On GP being potentially their best song isn't enough to save Jenny Death from being at least their most mediocre album. It's fine, it's just underwhelming compared to every other DG release.
sounds like someone isn't listening to it loud enough
>>
File: 8Dlzc.jpg (8 KB, 247x200) Image search: [Google]
8Dlzc.jpg
8 KB, 247x200
>>63333309
>ignoring jd
>>
>>63343783
Funny, that's exactly what I think of NLDW. I mean it has some really great songs like No Love, Bass Rattle and Artifical Death but other than that it sounds pretty uninspired for DG standards and very rushed.
Not to mention that the rawness and energy was done way better on Govt Plates anyways

(still an 8/10 or 7.5/10
>>
>>63343971
This.
>>
>>63343971
yeah i agree

i mean i love the whole "it's so minimalistic it feels like the whole album is about to rip apart" vibe but that kind of only gets it so far

I love JD to death and it's one of my favorite DG albums but i think it feels a little rushed too. Break mirrors feels incomplete, the 2nd half of the album isn't fine tuned and the tracks are all disjointed from one another, there's no flow
>>
>>63344342
>Break mirrors feels incomplete, the 2nd half of the album isn't fine tuned and the tracks are all disjointed from one another, there's no flow
I really think this is what they were going for.
NotM flows into one another and there is so much consistency (the bjork samples for example) and I think that they were meant to be the polar opposites. I love the rushed feeling of JD myself. It sounds like Ride is just trying to rush everything he has to say and trying to get through quickly before his descend into madness (DG2.0)

Or atleast that's how I interpret it. Like NotM is Ride exploring deep into his subconscious thoughts and ultimately realising that he doesn't like what he found and becomes very anxious and angry about the fact that he is now in complete realization that there's no return from the self inflicted madness he brought upon himself.
>>
>>63333233
legit question to native anglospeakers:

how much lyrics of DG do you understand in each song? (in %)

I'm not native and it's around 30% for me..
>>
>>63341312
This
>>
I am currently attempting to lip read this video. I have found out that Matthew says "I can't believe that you invited me here" first, but it's gonna take a long time to read everything else. Stay tuned, I should be done by 5:30 PM UTC
>>
>>63343581
That's like your opinion man
>>
>>63345663
you better come thru, i need interesting info and illuminating facts
>>
>>63346345
Eh. I gave up, I might continue tomorrow though. Here's what I got so far:
http://codepad.org/XuOAfEhq
>>
>>63341162
i dont care if its ironic its still shit
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.