[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /mu/'s opinion of the internet's busiest music nerd?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 12
File: HO3sYurh_400x400.png (74 KB, 354x354) Image search: [Google]
HO3sYurh_400x400.png
74 KB, 354x354
What is /mu/'s opinion of the internet's busiest music nerd?
>>
you must be new here
>>
File: photo.jpg (41 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
41 KB, 900x900
He suc dik
>>
strong melon
>>
Stop making these threads Anthony nobody cares
>>
>>63326510
Too many 6/10 ratings
He's a lazy reviewer and can't form firm opinions on things before stamping the easy "it's alright" rating.
>>
>>63326510
who's internet's laziest music nerd?
>>
Who fucking cares, its his opinion.
>>
>>63326616
probably YOU
>>
>>63326510
He's the busiest because the black clock he's sucking all day
>>
that new resist series isn't funny
fanbase is garbage poo poo diaper
>>
>>63326595
i dont think you understand how many albums are literally the embodiment of 6/10
you live in a world of "meh", not everything gunna be great or trash. so i guess i dont see your point
>>
>>63326510
not that bad, just reviews too much forgettable mainstream hip hop and indie. but he's gotta make a living somehow.
>>
>>63326595
This is such a stupid criticism. He gets clowned for too many average reviews (6 is slightly positive btw), gets clowned for too many negative reviews and still gets clowned for too many positive reviews.

People don't know what the chick they want
>>
File: file.png (409 KB, 500x560) Image search: [Google]
file.png
409 KB, 500x560
>>
>>63326633
sounds just fine
>>
>>63326595

most albums that come out are just average though. if every album was 7+ there would be nothing special about higher ratings.
>>
He's misogynist, he's anti-progress and a biggot
>>
>>63327060
heres your reply
>>
>>63327060
This. He's just an another oblivious white dude with an inflated ego
>>
I enjoyed his reviews and channel more when I didn't know anything about him or his personal life
>>
He has good taste when he agrees with me but he's a dumbass when he disagrees with me.
>>
>>63327060
>biggot
four you
>>
>>63327060
got anything to back up those claims?
>>
File: 1410812983674.gif (2 MB, 260x173) Image search: [Google]
1410812983674.gif
2 MB, 260x173
>Internet's tittiest music nerd
>Internet's bustiest music nerd
>>
>>63326668
says the tripfag
>>
>>63327096
you mean before you realized he has the best teeth in the game
>>
Anthony can you reprint the count cheska memorial shirts?
>>63326510
>>
I think the "quirky" way he edits his videos is obnoxious and detracts from how serious I can take him, so I don't watch him. Otherwise he's ok.
>>
He is what I imagine /mu/ fags to be like. They are one in the same
>>
The internet's busiest music describer.
>>
>>63327204
Lighten up anon, theres a beautiful world out there c:
>>
>>63326510
/mu/'s hatred of him is irrational
>>
makes videos for 14-18 yr olds who think they know everything because they get "ironic" humor.
same fucks watch mde and h3h3

I know he's tried recently to review mainstream albums more to hopefully get those kids into better albums but it never works that way. maybe 1-2 actually explore taste but the rest just wait for him to give an album a 8+ and meme it.
his fanbase comes on here also. it's so obvious to point them out in chart threads it's funny.
>>
>>63326510
good guy. pretty good understanding of music and has very varied taste. His biggest flaw is that he tends to give higher scores when he has met or interviewed an artist. Also he puts out reviews too fast sometimes, but he's by far the best the youtube reviewer.
>>
>>63326696
He needs views and he won't get them reviewing super obscure shit
>>
>>63327363

>pretty good understanding of music and has very varied taste.

you're joking right?
>>
>>63326510
Scaruffi is the busiest music nerd desu
>>
>>63327379
that's basically what i said
>>
>>63327442
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>63327379
And yet, it was because he was one of the few reviewing the obscure shit that people found him in the first place. He didn't have many viewers, but he filled a niche.
>>
>>63326510
he has proven himself to be a contrarian ( gave MBDTF a 6 and once he realized how bad he fucked up he rated it among his top albums of 2010 )

but for the most part is pretty fair and very knowledgeable about rap. probably the best youtube critic.
>>
>>63327485
To be fair, I felt the same about MBDTF (and I now regard it as one of the best of the decade). He jut doesn't give things enough time.

I get that in a "business" sense he has to strike while the iron is hot, but it wouldn't be ridiculous for him to revisit albums. Perhaps do a new series based on that. I'd be interested to know what he things about TPAB a year on, for example.
>>
>>63327538
i agree, ive thought that he would benefit greatly from a series like that. alto hes made a video about how opinions change, and he addresses all that
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (119 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
119 KB, 1500x1500
>>63327463
step up nigga
>>
>>63327060
agreed

>>63327109
lol he got a fucking interview with Sargon of akkad, pol tier opinions, like.

check out his reddit handle /u/theneedledrop where he rages on people for critizising that interview. He acts like a 12 year old
>>
>>63327538

giving TPAB a 10/10 was the most retarded thing he did for a variety of reasons

>Obviously it's not a 10/10 album, it's just conscious jazz rap, nothing new or innovative, everyone is just shitting their pants over Kendrick because trap rappers have set the bar so fucking low for pop rap these days
>furthermore Kendrick does NOT need praise from an "indie" reviewer, TPAB is the album equivalent of Oscar-bait, it was guaranteed to get praise no matter what simply because it put black issues in the spotlight and fueled hundreds of thinkpieces and (over)analyses of the themes and lyrics (not trying to be racist but it's true, modern "journalists" eat that shit up like ice cream, hence the album making top 10 for the year on the list of virtually every music publication in existence
>THIS DICK AIN'T FREEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>63327638
It was also stupid because it opened him up to retards saying "You gave TPAB 10 and this album is better so why does it score lower" in every fucking video.
>>
none of his followers can come up with their own opinions, and he's just another pretentious /mu/ hipster.
>>
>>63326510
Stop lurking melon
>>
you mean mensthony rightstano, the internet's busiest white nationalist
>>
File: s_m_o_k_e_w_e_e_d_o_n_c_e.png (8 KB, 511x335) Image search: [Google]
s_m_o_k_e_w_e_e_d_o_n_c_e.png
8 KB, 511x335
>>63327638
>>63327696
Never give an album a 10

Ever
>>
>>63326510
He's entertaining and well spoken, even though I don't always agree with his opinions
>>
>>63327485
>mbdtf
how is giving that album a 6 contrarian? you retards are funny, that album is overrated garbage for children, his initial thoughts were correct
>>
what makes him busier than other music nerds?
>>
>>63326668
okay i'm paying attention to you now to tell you what a faggot you are

clearly this is what you want
>>
>>63327060
Here's that attention you wanted.
>>
>>63329374

Why?

>inb4 "perfect albums don't exist"

that's not true
>>
A /mu/tant who got lucky and is famous
>>
>>63326647
>black clock
>>
>>63326510
i think people miss what good music criticism (following art criticism, literary criticism, and other Serious Commentary About Serious Things) can actually be because of the way rock journalism has always just been a way to create a tier of "insiders" who got to do the coke the rock stars did while being a hundred pounds heavier and a whole lot uglier in exchange for making it where said bands could afford the coke. occasionally, there's some trashy idiot like Lester Bangs who somehow manages to write fucking poetry, and as you move into the more white collar rock criticism world that we more or less live in now, you still have some standout people with keen insights. the problem is that it's always been based around connecting consumers to a product instead of using specialized knowledge to expand upon an artwork for the benefit of a listener who might find it impenetrable or have a one-dimensional view of it. for all the hype of pop music as this artform we have to respect, the way pop music journalism and criticism is done by the vast majority of people is more a dusty and aged version of contemporary video game journalism - meaningless sensationalism, extremely closed circuits of writers and "artists," and braindead audiences who want to see a number or have a by-the-numbers description of the music instead of something deeper. you see this in the knee-jerk anti-intellectualism of the anti-Tiny Mix Tapes crowd who would rather we let music journalism resemble Fantano procedural gobbeldy gook uselessness rather than being an artform to itself. i'm a bit conservative with my criticism, granted, so when i read about art i like to have it in a more straightforward way than TMT presents it, but at least they're thinking critically about the art they review, even if the way they put forward their thoughts is at times opaque or even pretentious.
>>
>>63330960
i've listened to a lot more classical and jazz music in the past few years, and it's moved me away from ever reading rock journalism. i just can't do it. the knowledge, insight, wit, and general writing caliber of jazz and classical critics eclipses rock critics at virtually every turn. with the exception of maybe Mark Richardson, I can't name a critic working today who's really deepened my appreciation of a piece of pop music or exposed me to something new in a way that was unique to them (meaning, got me excited about what i was going to hear by explaining the historical moment it represented, the deeper meaning it has, etc.). but i can look up a fucking Luigi Nono piece that's kind of opaque to me and get a few random academia.edu articles from grad students whose names lead to nothing on Google, and they have incredibly erudite and accessible analyses of them. despite knowing very little music theory, i am able to grasp what they're saying for the most part, and attention is paid to political and historical contexts as well as more formalist considerations, and even those are always related back to emotional or philosophical dimensions.

tl;dr: even fucking 22 year old musicology students who have to write in an academic idiom have more accessible and interesting analysis of music than paid music journos, who would rather gab on and on about useless fucking horseshit about the music than actually address the music. pop music journalism is 99% pandering garbage that tells you nothing the music itself and a quick glance through a wikipedia page couldn't tell you. pop music criticism should try to be more like TMT seeks to make it, producing novel content with actual depth of analysis instead of the same factoid press release assembly line fuckery that gets a BNM tag slapped on and hundreds of thousands of page views.
>>
>>63326510
I've never seen any of his videos. I really don't care.
>>
He's pretty entertaining and interesting. I don't take his opinions TOO seriously though.
>>
wayyyy better than p4k but that's not really saying much
>>
I think he is just really stupid. You can tell by the way he speaks and acts that he has no self-awareness or introspective capability whatsoever.
>>
>>63331147
This, but he's a benign sort of moron.
>>
>>63327379
only reason I watch him is obscure shit and the occasional metal album
>>
>>63327630
so he is a good guy and not a goddamn cuck? cool
>>
Got on my nerves after a while; too much emphasis on his own character and not enough substance to his reviews.

Although to be honest I never liked the idea of video reviews that much, I'd rather read one.
>>
>>63331147
True. He doesn't seem capable of understanding subtly or things directly stated if it conflicts with his personal opinions about music. It just seems to make him angery and confused
>>
File: 1457855575375.jpg (8 KB, 235x215) Image search: [Google]
1457855575375.jpg
8 KB, 235x215
>>63326510
I respect what he does.
I don't always agree with him but everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
>>
>>63330960
>>63330984

tldr learn to get into the bottom of the issue with fewer words
>>
http://youtu.be/lH9SGIJKyu4

Skip to 0:18

Young hipster fantano, with hair lmao
>>
>>63332669
>That dance he's doing at the beginning

Holy shit
>>
Someone explain why /mu/ is obsessed with Fantano. No memes, serious answers only.

I just don't get it
>>
>>63332669
Wow, he looks handsome there. He really has let his body go to complete shit, what a shame.
>>
Contrarian idiot who think he's way smarter than he actually is so it's no wonder /mu/ likes him.
>>
>>63334090
>Contrarian
you got your meme reviewers mixed up

that's scaruffi
>>
>>63334040
he's honest
>>
>>63334040
Someone explain why /mu/ is obsessed with p4k. No memes, serious answers only.

I just don't get it
>>
>>63334040
he is the only good music critic on youtube
>>
>>63334090
>contrarian
>hes a popotimist says what people want to hear to get that youtube $$$
>>
>>63334432
artv
>>
>>63332669
if you wanted a visualization of his aspie tendencies, well this is it really
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1334x750
>>63326510
18/10
>>
>>63331147
>>63332515
Now that I think about it, thats kinda of a good way to describe it. He gets really angry really easily on twitter and starts to act like a child on there.

At this point, its clear that he even falls for bait. I like watching his stuff, I just wish he could take criticism better
>>
I see no point on opinionated style of review (unless you watch or read the review like watching some vlogger, so if you like vloggers that may be for you), so I think he sucks
>>
>>63331147
>>63331168
>autism
>>
I like him, honestly. He's got a nice sense of humor and his taste is refined, if not in line with what i like.
>>
File: tumblr_lpafwiUqGU1qevxi9o1_500.jpg (35 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lpafwiUqGU1qevxi9o1_500.jpg
35 KB, 500x333
Real question what do you think of this nigga with hair
>>
>>63326510
they don't like him because he's popular, just like anything else
>>
>>63335533
looks better without it.
>>
>>63326510
retarded in real life
>>
>>63335533
He had some goofy hairstyles desu. Honestly, I really don't give a fuck whether he's bald or not these days. It's literally just hair.
>>
>>63335533
With hair > without hair
So cute with hair desu
>>
File: shiba.jpg (25 KB, 369x333) Image search: [Google]
shiba.jpg
25 KB, 369x333
>>63335566
I don't like him because he's just an average dude, there is nothing special about his opinion. I've been playing music for 10 years, I know more than him. It just doesn't make sense to care what he thinks.
>>
>>63335652
sounds like you're balding early kiddo
>>
>>63335720
>implying there's anything special about anyone's opinion

so you don't like music reviews in general then
>>
>>63332596
Doesnt mean the opinion is right and thus an individual respectworthy just because he has an opinion.
>>
>>63335764
I know more than him, I assume there's some sort of idea that he's an authority, to me he's just some other dude that doesn't really know what he's talking about when it comes to music. I honestly don't see the point of music reviews, I can listen to it myself before buying it, I don't need a heads up for what I'm in for.
>>
>>63335887
you know more what? opinions?
>>
>>63335930
I know more about music than he does. He can't play an instrument, write or perform music in any impressive capacity.
>>
>>63335887
yeah I actually like fantano but I don't really actually listen to his reviews unless i'm interested in what he thought about it

saying you "know more" is a little retarded, seeing as he's just saying what he thinks about music. no one is really coming there for someone who is a GENIUS like you, they just want to hear what he thinks with no bullshit.

that said, his drones who just think like he does do bother me

>>63335959
disregard everything I said, you're a fucking retard

>"durr someone can't have an opinion about something if they can't make it too"
>>
>>63335959
can you quantify that? what do you know more specifically?
>>
>>63335959
>He can't play an instrument, write or perform music
He's a musician, he's played in a band
>>
>>63335975
>>63335983
Look I know it upsets you to have someone who just says they know more about something but it's true. I would look down on someone who had played music for a decade and couldn't see that he's just a regular dude with basic music skills and likes to talk about his opinions.

>>63335992
>in any impressive capacity
>>
>>63336040
>>in any impressive capacity
Neither have you.
>>
>>63336040
I have no idea what Anthony knows but if you say you know more than him, can you give some examples where he was retarded? It seems like you're just talking out your ass.
>>
>>63336040
anthony fantano literally has a video where he says that he's just a normal guy whose opinion should be treated as such

and, sorry dude, but you should really stop acting like you're not also just a regular dude, or that your opinion is somehow better because you play an instrument
>>
>>63336093
That's just not true.

>>63336100
I don't watch a lot of his reviews, I saw a couple when I saw /mu/ talking about this dude, watched a couple of his videos, saw that he didn't really know what he just had basic music knowledge, watched a video of him playing bass and saw that he is just a regular dude.
>>
>>63336152
so you are talking out your ass...
>>
>>63336152
>That's just not true.
How so?
>>
>>63336152
Based on your post, you seem like a regular dude.
>>
>>63336145
I don't know how you're not getting this. I didn't decide to have this feeling, I watched him talk about music and heard him play and he just has basic music knowledge. That's just what happens when you've been playing music for a long time.

>>63336182
Lol fucking why would I keep watching a dude who so obviously knows less than I do about the same subject?

>>63336187
I've played in front of thousands of people, have played professionally and am constantly met with awe about my singing and playing including other musicians. There's no way to say that without sounding douchey but it's true.
>>
>>63336215
Lol lay that one for me bud, tell me how you came to this conclusion.
>>
>>63336223
laffin
>>
>>63336223
>I've played in front of thousands of people
So has he
>have played professionally
So has he
>constantly met with awe about my singing and playing including other musicians
You don't know this is untrue in fontano's case.
>>63336245
You haven't proven otherwise, just like he hasn't proven to you otherwise.
>>
>>63336286
Have you seen his bass video man? He is fucking basic. People being impressed is not something he regularly experiences, at least his bass playing.
>>
>>63336335
>He is fucking basic
So you are saying he plays with taste and plays what's necessary for the song?

Are you one of those fags who just wanky solos every single bar of a song but can't figure out why no one wants to be in a band with him? A measure of a true musician isn't what he plays, but what he doesn't play.
>>
>>63336369
There is a big fuckin difference in between wanky solos every single bar and the nearly the most basic bass riffs possible. There is literally not a single even slightly impressive video of him playing bass and his opinions are basic shit that anyone could have. I know more than him, it would be a waste of time to listen to him ramble.

Pick something you're best at and then tell me how long you'd care about the opinions of someone who is nowhere near as good as you.
>>
>>63336449
>There is a big fuckin difference in between wanky solos every single bar and the nearly the most basic bass riffs possible
Ooops I must have hit a nerve.
>impressive
Not relevant.
>I know more than him,
Prove it.
>>
>>63336449
>Pick something you're best at and then tell me how long you'd care about the opinions of someone who is nowhere near as good as you.
Well I admit that I don't care about your opinion, because I'm better than you.
>>
>>63336500
You didn't hit a nerve you just put forth a ridiculous false dichotomy. It's very clear that I've hit a nerve with you. You've been persistently attacking everything I've said because what I've said has made you insecure.

>>63336555
That's cool, I don't care what high schoolers think about me.
>>
>>63336578
>You've been persistently attacking everything I've said because what I've said has made you insecure.
Not really, I am 100% certain I'm better than you.
>That's cool, I don't care what high schoolers think about me.
I'm probably twice your age but you can believe what you want.
>>
I pick up a lot of insecurity from him. He also seems to send off malicious vibes. It's strange, because he seem completely different five or six years ago. He seemed like a pretty chill, nice guy. Also, it seems like it was around the time this shift in his personality occurred that Cal stopped being funny.

I think 4chan might not be good for him.
>>
>>63336600
It's crazy, I didn't even insult you. I started off with saying I don't watch his shit or care about his opinions because I know more about music than he does. That's really not hard to believe, there are a lot of people that know music way more than this guy does. You've turned this into something personal where you want me to believe that you're better than me, when this wasn't even about you in the first place.

You shouldn't be offended by what I said, most people haven't been playing music for 10 years of their life. I just answered Op's question and I assumed asserting that musicians who have been playing for almost half their life know more about music than a beginner wouldn't be controversial.
>>
>>63336659
Lol is there a chance that he's the butthurt guy in these threads when people say he sucks?
>>
>>63336600
>I'm probably twice your age
>I'm better than you.
Not him, and I didn't read the conversation so I'm not sure what you're arguing about, but do people who are at least thirty six really say things like this ("I'm better than you")? That's discouraging.
>>
>>63336713
>It's crazy, I didn't even insult you
I didn't say you did. What makes you think I am insulting you?
>You've turned this into something personal where you want me to believe that you're better than me
So let me get this straight--it's OK for you to better than Fontana, but not OK for me to be better than you? That's a double standard
>You shouldn't be offended by what I said
What makes you say I'm offended? Sounds like you are the one offended.
>most people haven't been playing music for 10 years of their life
I know what you mean, I've been playing for 20. How about you?
>>
>>63336790
>and I didn't read the conversation
lol
>>
>>63336810
No I'm saying that you're tone and persistence shows that you're taking this personally. If you played music for 20 years, you wouldn't be so insulted and defending some youtube personality who has such a basic understanding of music.
>>
>>63336875
lol If you say so anon
>>
>>63335533
His head looks weird with hair.
>>
>>63330960
>>63330984

Ya nailed it bud

And I dont think for a second that "rock/pop isnt deep enough for in depth analysis" - bull fucking shit
>>
>>63330984
>who would rather gab on and on about useless fucking horseshit about the music than actually address the music.
How would someone "actually address the music"?
>>
>>63326510
too many reviews of bland hip hop records
>>
File: 1393803787988.png (396 KB, 680x639) Image search: [Google]
1393803787988.png
396 KB, 680x639
>>63327060
>>
>>63334474
fuck artv. dude has terrible taste
>>
the internet's jizziest music turd
>>
>>63327638
>TPAB is the album equivalent of Oscar-bait
this.
>>
because anthony makes little youtube faggots think /mu/ is a cool place to hang out
>>
>>63326668
these are both objectively correct

it was kind of funny until he projected his vegan shit
>>
I like Anthony a lot I think he's funny and has good points. Like any person I can disagree at times but that doesn't make me hate him. I've had few conversations with him and he follows me on twitter so he's okay in my book.
>>
>>63342145
How does it feel to be triggered?
>>
>>63326510

I don't care about his opinions but the memes are dank as fuck
>>
/r/ing the poz cuckold screenshot
>>
>>63342212
kinda weird

still gonna eat meat though
>>
>>63326595
Do you know what the word average means? Most things are a 6/10
>>
>>63330008
underrated post
>>
>>63342145
Cmon the backlash is fun.
>>63330008
Is there any other music reviewer that's based on the net that has produced as much content as him?
>>
>>63327538
>>63327638
>>63329374

TMS also wasn't a 10
>>
>>63342237
wot
>>
>>63326595
have you heard of a bell curve
>>
>>63327060(You)
>>63327060(You)
>>63327060(You)
>>63327060(You)
>>63327060(You)

there you go!
>>
>>63326560
yugamineena
>>
>>63326510
fuck off tony
>>
>>63334080
lmao what the fucj? he looks like shit there and he's handsome and masculine now
>>
>>63332669
>that fucking dance

What a sperglord hahaha
>>
>>63332669
Thank you for this
>>
>>63332669
This is glorious, the full version is even better;
https://archive.org/details/10.11.07_DefianceOhio#
>>
>>63326510
yall know opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one
>>
likeable guy, but he keeps trying to make amends for being an edgelord by going "you guys know its just my opinion, right?" which is a shit cop-out for a critic
>>
Why should I listen to this mans opinion?
>>
>White guy
>Listens to Future, Waka Flocka, Lamar, Kanye and others.

How is this ok?
>>
>>63342344
Scaruffi has produced far more content. Still, amount of content should not be used as an indicator of quality.
>>
>>63346970
Because cultural appropriation bruh. Literally every fucktard in this world appropriates one thing from another culture but only white people get flak for it, just like in your post.
Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.