[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/10s/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
In this new general thread, we discuss what we expect for the rest of this decade.

Is the shoegaze revival real?
How long will trap hold on?
How will globalization effect the musical climate?

Major Lazer Just Played to 500,000 People in Havana Edition (http://nyti.ms/1X8o6Exa)
>>
>>63325129
But what bands are helping shoegaze have this revival?
>>
>>63325175
Cheatahs, Beach House, Diiv, and a case could be made for Wild Nothing and M83 though neither have much shoegaze in their sound anymore.
>>
File: 9:11.png (29 KB, 1004x96) Image search: [Google]
9:11.png
29 KB, 1004x96
Bump
>>
>>63325129
synthpop is gonna be huge by the end of the decade
>>
>>63325646
Who's going to be at the vanguard? An up-and-comer or someone we already know about? Will it take influence from EDM? Will p4k give another >=9.5?
>>
>>63325679
It's going to leak into mainsteam pop, look at Taylor Swifts 1989. Look at how much of a hit M83's Midnight City was, it won't happen until the end of the decade but it's going to happen for sure.
>>
>is the shoegaze revival real

You mean the surge of bands copying MBV and Slowdive? Good music with elements of shoegaze was being made well into the 2000's
>>
>>63325129
Nazi Schlager Pop Revival Now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8btnYYDbkqQ
>>
>>63325175
Westkust
>>
File: Skylar Spence.jpg (3 KB, 173x173) Image search: [Google]
Skylar Spence.jpg
3 KB, 173x173
>>63325730
1989 didn't deviate too far from Max Martin's script. Moreover, the synthwave thing (a Real Hero, Midnight City, Tycho) already seems stale. Are you talking about the Madeon/Porter Robinson/Skyler Spence thing? None of them have had nearly the success they were built up as having.

>>63325742
Right, but it was usually drowned out by garage rock revival and "indie" rock. For some reason, a lot of people think that we're on the precipice of shoegaze coming back big time.

Also, until 2 years ago, I had literally never heard of Slowdive.
>>
>>63325129
>Is the shoegaze revival real?
holy shit have u been living in a cave. every fucking rich scenester in brooklyn has a shoegaze band it's dying.

>How long will trap hold on?
it's pretty much dead. footwork will be the next big thing
>>
Will we see music and rap get more progressive? Songs having more parts to them/ more beat changes? Will electronic music evolve into using a symphonic use of timbres and explore electronic orchestration?
>>
Oracle fampai, I beseech ye, is the second coming of punk music anon? I want my happy-sounding driving rhythms and stripped-down guitar.
>>
>>63325829
> a lot of people think that we're on the precipice of shoegaze coming back big time

Who cares if it's not actually good shoegaze. I don't care about how "big" it is I just care about the quality music. Granted I haven't really heard any of this new stuff, I listened to a few tracks off the new Diiv record and it really didn't grab me.
>>
>>63325829
I don't think any of those artists you listed will make it into the mainstream though, but stuff like Neon Indian, Toro Y Moi , Blood Orange is getting more and more popular with the general public so much so that all three of those artists I listed are on their last year of being urban outfitters core for lack of a better term.
>>
OK real talk

Is rock music dead?
>>
>>63325995
I think it´s coming back a little bit in the mainstream with shitty bands like Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco having N 1 albums. But I don´t know if you can call that shit rock.
>>
>>63325995
no it's fine. mac demarco is making a killng
you neckbeards need to get out of the house ffs
everybody and their mom loves tame impala

>>63326066
why do u care so much abt what the mainstream likes
>>
>>63326066
Too bad Fall Out Boy and Panic have nothing to do with rock now. It's straight pop
>>
>>63326089
Because I watch Spectrum Pulse and find it interesting to follow the Billboard Charts and get a general idea of where the mainstream and music industry is.

>>63326135
Yeah pretty much... but they still use guitars
>>
lol like 100% speculation of where music is going? Hardly seems substantial to have its own general.
>>
>>63326177
why it's a waste of your time. go do something more productive with your life. debating on whats gonna happen next is the least rewarding thing you could ever do.

Spectrum pulse is awful
>>
>>63326177
Just because a person uses a guitar doesn't mean it's rock. Coldplay uses a guitar, but they're nothing but pop now. Hell Bjork's Homogenic is covered in guitars but that doesn't make it rock, the use of an instrument doesn't force an artist into a genre. I had a violinist come into record a part on my new album, that doesn't mean I make classical.
>>
Thought: is there a geopolitical problem with rock right now? Beijing had a burgeoning scene when I was there 2003-2007, and a friend told me the same was happening more recently in Bangkok, until both were crushed by the political climate. And I love some music from Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and HK, but the market has been in low-orbit around the major record labels there for decades, and there doesn't seem to be a healthy indie scene right now.
The opening of Eastern Europe was a boon in the 90s. Maybe Asia will have its day soon and start exporting DIY sound rather than just mass-produced pop.
>>
This >>63326252
This thread is so fucking stupid, good god.
>>
>>63326292
Nice blog post.
>>
>shoegaze revival

nigga that shit been dead
>>
>>63326328
Do you even know what a blog is?
>>
>>63326292
Idk m8 but here's a very solid new EP from Eastern Europe.
https://benasaleks.bandcamp.com/album/saul-su-temimas
>>
>>63325129
>revival
One of the biggest problems of the new millennium
>>
>>63326252
I mean I´m here at /mu debating the mix of sounds (aka music), I mean I already threw objective/rational productivity s long time ago I just focus in what interests me. And my main income is off music so getting a general idea on trends is "productive" and "rewarding".
>>63326252
Don´t you get sarcasm? I think I should put #sarcasm next to my sentences so u can understand.
>>
>>63326308
You should try to give arguments instead of bitching. Just don´t waste time commenting. So you think that discussing about the future of music is stupid? Why the fuck are you on /mu?
>>
>>63326484
>Why the fuck are you on /mu?
Memes
try reddit ur kind is welcomed their faggot
>>
>>63326565
talking about memes. How fucking more meme can you get than the go to reddit meme? Get a brain you primitive sheeple, you´re intelligent discussion cancer.
>>
>>63325995
Arena Rock groups like RHCP and Pearl Jam and the like, yeah sure.

But the smaller bands that sell out amphitheaters are live and well
>>
File: hat.jpg (190 KB, 1067x800) Image search: [Google]
hat.jpg
190 KB, 1067x800
>>63326839
>you´re intelligent discussion cancer
You dropped your hat, anon.
>>
File: 1457184246308.png (385 KB, 368x447) Image search: [Google]
1457184246308.png
385 KB, 368x447
>>63326839
>intelligent discussion
>on a website for talking about japanese cartoons
>>
>>63326355
Agreed!
>>
I'm really happy Diplo's achieved such success. If only M.I.A. was there to perform with him
>>
>>63325961
The new Diiv being bad isn't that surprising in retrospect-- they're the definition of a buzzband.

>>63325982
Maybe! If they do, it'll be because they will have mutated their aesthetic past chillwave-- perhaps trading in futurism for nostalgia.

>>63325995
A plastic commercialized ideal of rock will remain in some pop discographies, sorta like how Bruno Mars is a pop-"funk" artist,
>>
>>63326292
https://twitter.com/giraffage/status/478684160253382657

Maybe
fingers crossed
>>
>>63326962
why do you think japanese cartoons can't be intelligent?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.