[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you like jazz?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 360x270
If you do, you should check out the weekly /BLINDFOLD TEST/ threads held every Friday. It's a fun way of all discussing the same music. It doesn't matter whether you have a lot of experience listening to jazz or just started.

We download the mystery playlist, listen to the tracks, and then post any thoughts or guesses we have about each track.

This week's theme is sextet recordings:

http://www114.zippyshare.com/v/klFPiuQJ/file.html
>>
i don't really like jazz enough to get involved in this but just throwing it out there that it's a good idea and that the classical community should do something like this
>>
bump

>>63324117
i think the idea would work well for classical too. i might even join in.
>>
>>63323815
I like jazz desu, sounds like a great idea.
>>
>>63324442
Would you mind to explain me was you exactly mean with bump and when you use it on 4 chan ?
>>
>>63324612
hope to see you Friday

>>63324633
when you post in a thread it "bumps" it to the top of the catalog. If nobody's posting in a thread you can jump it up to the top hoping that it will get noticed.
>>
>>63324761
Thanks for helping a newfag
>>
I'm getting into Jazz but I'm not deep enough to get into musical language or even think of non-obvious shit to say.
>>
>>63324820
That's ok. Start out by just saying obvious shit and read what other people have to say and whether you agree with them or not. You'll start finding more and more interesting things to say.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLbkiV_V3Ow

New releases you're interested in?
>>
>>63324953
I'm really anticipating new Vijay Iyer's. From this year, I've only heard Frank Woeste - Pocket Rhapsody (8/10). Any recs?
>>
1. I liked the arrangements on the head I think the voicings were really nice. But something about it sounds a bit too stressed and just loud (though that might have to do something with the recording). The trumpet playing is doing some nice stuff kinda reminds of freddie hubbard's early days but with a worse sound. Nothing too incredible but he does the job and makes some nice lines. I definitely didn't enjoy the saxophonist. Playing way too aggresive and just sounds like shit. He had one phrase I kinda liked but his playing is just too straight forward and aggressive with zero space. Trombonist delivers nicely, sounding good and playing melodically. Pianist was dope. That was my favorite solo from this track. As for the rhyrhm section - they also did a pretty good job of providing a lot of energy but I think the drummer still played a bit too loud to my taste. Overall it was ok but I don't think I would listen to an album of this group and enjoy it too much.

2. The melody here is nothing too special but once again, the arrangments are nice. Ok wow this tenorist (or baritonist?). Probably some free Jazz player trying to swing. Didn't like anything about him. Too much out!!! just dissonance all over the place. Goddamn do I hate players like this. And all those fucking overtones. ARRGHHH SOMEONE MAKE HIM STOP!! The bassist reacts in a cool way though. There should be a piano there comping to make it a bit more listenable. Oh I can dig this trumpet player (or is it maybe a flugelhorn)? Playing with space, building his solo a bit and sounding so much better than the last guy. Not just mindlessly dissonance. Finished his solo very nicely I like those variations he did. Though I think the rhythm section didn't hold it good enough. Ok the 2nd saxophonist started good but his playing decreased as long as his solo went. Also I really didn't like what the bassist did playing those 3rds. Meh the melody is also annoying and I wish there was a piano here.
>>
>>63326084
This is my first time doing this and it's pretty fun. Forces you to listen and stuff. I'll do more tracks later since I ran out of space to type.
>>
>>63324986
https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?year=2016&genres=jazz

It would be easier to just link you to the RYM chart. That GoGo Penguin album is great though, I think that would be a good place to start.
>>
Im into jazz and like the idea, though im a little hesitant to download a random zippyshare
>>
>>63326106
Thanks for participating but if you want to wait and post your thoughts in Friday's thread, that's where everybody else will be joining in. This thread is just to raise awareness.
>>
>>63326629
ohh... do I feel dumb now
>>
>>63326459
it's just 10 mp3 files. Generally zippyshare is pretty safe, just don't open any .exe or .dmg files. Not that I've ever seen any on things I've downloaded from zippy anyway.
>>
>>63326655
No problem. Just come back and post your thoughts then when you get a chance. The thread will be up all day Friday and into Saturday so hopefully you'll get a chance somewhere in there.

Also we need some new blood with people to create the playlists so if you're interested in that you could think about some themes you could do for some week.
>>
>>63326704
That's cool. But I don't think i'll be making a playlist anytime soon. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll be here on friday.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.