[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Nirvana isn't punk rock >Green Day is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: I_came_here_to_laugh_at_you[1].jpg (32 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
I_came_here_to_laugh_at_you[1].jpg
32 KB, 640x480
>Nirvana isn't punk rock
>Green Day is
>>
but its true

believe it or not nirvana is closer to metal than punk and big surprise one of their earliest drummers was dale crover of the melvins who invented sludge metal
>>
neither are, really
>>
>>63321670
green day is classic pop punk not that much different than the ramones
>>
>>63321659
I'd argue it's perfectly acceptable to describe Nirvana's music as punk rock. Green Day, too.
>>
>>63321709
Except for tempo, lyrical content and melody. They're quite different, actually. The Ramones are like a marriage of the Stooges to the Ronettes.

Green Day is more power pop.
>>
>>63321570
Nirvana was a grunge band
>>
>>63321570

Nirvana was always grunge. What the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>63321796
>>63321800
You guys realize that genre labels aren't handed down from on high, right? They're vague, family-resemblance concepts with lots of overlap.
>>
>>63321725
nirvana played punk clubs and covered punk bands like the wipers

but thats about all that I recall
>>
>>63321815

And?
>>
>>63321767
>Except for tempo
bull fucking shit
>>
>>63321826
Their being a "grunge" band doesn't preclude them from being a "punk" band.

>>63321839
Have you actually listened to the Ramones?
>>
>>63321815
Yeah fair point anon, thanks for pointing that out
>>
>>63321845

Same goes for Green Day. What's the point of this thread then?
>>
>>63321796
>>63321800
Nirvana had more in common with punk bands than grunge bands.
>>
>>63321862
I'm not the OP, so I can't say
>>
>>63321845
Have you heard anything by Green Day other than Time of Your Life?
>>
>>63321893
Yes, they have hosts of other slower songs.

And regardless, they don't sound like the fucking Ramones. I'm sure the Ramones influenced them, as they influenced every subsequent punk and punk-offshoot band, and then some, but you can't conflate the latter and the former so fecklessly and regardlessly.
>>
Bleach and In Utero are punk, Nevermind is pop-punk
>>
>>63321796
so a punk band?
>>
Yup, not that hard to understand autist
>>
>>63322043
Bleach is sludge metal
Nevermind is power pop
In Utero is noise rock
>>
>>63321659

No. Nirvana are not close to metal. They're a grunge band who have alternative rock influences because they loved The Pixies. Not even remotely close to metal.

I'm assuming you don't listen to metal
>>
>>63322325
Blech is not sludge metal. Had the album is just open chords being strummed.

Have you ever listened to sludge metal? Apparently not.
>>
>>63321767
You're right, green day is better
>>
>>63322325
>Bleach is sludge metal
lmao. Bleach is bad garage rock
>>
>>63322348
let's just ignore that Bleach literally sounds like the Melvins albums which literally invented sludge metal

>>63322452
it's garage punk like most of the early grunge bands but it isn't bad and it definitely is sludge metal also
>>
>>63321659
Melvins was a punk band at first though so I don't see your point.
Nirvana and the grunge scene were clearly descedent from post-hardcore
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.