[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is hip hop on the cusp of a new creative renaissance?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 9
File: 1457970560819.jpg (19 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
1457970560819.jpg
19 KB, 500x369
Is hip hop on the cusp of a new creative renaissance?
>>
needs more beat poetry

we need a beat revival
>>
>>63319706
Nope

Thinking that To Pimp a Butterfly and whatever other memerap is out there right now is going to step up to albums like The Infamous is just fucking stupid.
>>
Honestly, I think it might be. It's a relatively new genre and it hasn't had much time to evolve but I think we're going to be seeing more experimental forms become mainstream in the coming years
>>
>>63319716
I can dig that
>>
>>63319786
I'm game for more beatniks
>>
>>63319749
Conversations with a butterfly?
Issa gold?
>>
>>63320131
Nvm different album. listen tho real shit. experimental tf.
>>
Hip hop has just merged with pop now, its just top 40 pop fodder with rapping.
>>
>>63319706
ITT: beatnik revival
>>
>>63319763
There was more experimentation in the 90s with turntablism cross fusions and the UK Mo Wax styles than todays rap.
>>
File: 90px-Beatgirl_(3).jpg (3 KB, 90x248) Image search: [Google]
90px-Beatgirl_(3).jpg
3 KB, 90x248
>>63320158
>>
>>63319706
Hasn't it already started since the GKMC? with badass, ugly mane, etc.?

I mean, unless you're referencing the crazy production on Pimp or the DG/Clipping and less crazy variants of that which have been released lately, then it started a few years ago
>>
>>63319763
>It's a relatively new genre

Relative to what? A genre that's existed since no later than 1980 is not all that new.
>>
>>63320185
>Hasn't it already started since the GKMC? with badass, ugly mane, etc.?

How is this novel? 'Conscious' hip-hop and chopped & screwed are not nearly new.
>>
>>63320210
didn't say that nor imply it, where did you get all of that? And on top of it all, I'm arguing its already happened

just saying that its hitting and inspiring a lot more people recently or a few years ago, making this renaissance not on the cusp but already happening, unless more people do chopped, screwed, or just up their production complexity, which would, if accepted by a ton of people, usher in a new "renaissance"
>>
>>63320356
Is Ugly Mane even that popular outside of these fringe music geek internet forums?

And the style of Lamar and Badass has never not been popular. I mean, Kendrick is especially good and especially popular, but one talented artist does not a renaissance make.
>>
hip hop brought creativity to the mainstream.
>>
>>63320173
>>
File: 1457836037532.jpg (18 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1457836037532.jpg
18 KB, 320x320
>>63320446
>>
>>63320454
i was only pretending to be retarded, but i still trolled you somehow.
>>
Yeah, it's called trap music.

Do you guys really think this backpacker BS is creative or innovative?
>>
>>63320468
I don't know who's trolling who anymore
>>
>>63320779
congratulations, you trolled yourself.
>>
>>63319706
Ew this thread is gross
>>
Hip hop hasn't been experimental since the 80s, bar a few renegade producers like RZA and El-P
>>
File: n8umjWj.png (3 KB, 698x1284) Image search: [Google]
n8umjWj.png
3 KB, 698x1284
>>63320468

literally you
>>
>>63320995
thanks reddit
>>
>on the cusp

Dude were in the middle of the Renaissance. MBDTF started it.
>>
>>63321171
>MBDTF started it.

It really didn't.
>>
Since when is rhyming the word nigga with the word nigga creative.....not even worth my time to listen to new hip hop
>>
>mom get the camera i'm posting dank opinions on the internet

why does this board even EXIST
>>
I hope so, I feel like its been that way for awhile. ever since the OG gangster rap era died down everyone's been fucking with different shit. I wanna see the lyrical game get reallllyy fucked up and the beats to get mad varied though. We'll see if it actually happens
>>
Yes

https://youtu.be/UHkdbd-pLqI
https://youtu.be/EnyNwo_tqRw
https://youtu.be/anTIHl0slkE

It keeps finding a way to innovative and diversify itself. No wonder its as prevalent as rock was during its heyday.
>>
>>63319763
>relatively new genre

Nigga are you retarded? Is 35 years new?
>>
>>63320500
Yes.

Mumbling methodically over hot beats is fun and all, but there's no depth to it.

At least with backpack rap, the lyrics, flows, and beats vary widely.
>>
>>63324155
*melodically
>>
Hip hop is on the decline, friend. sell your rap stock iin about 6 months. Next year it'll be worthless
>>
>>63320185
This post reveals to me that you know very little about hip hop

1. Ugly Mane draws large influence from artists like DJ Screw and memphis artists like Koopsta. Hell his best album is memphis REVIVAL

2. Joey Badass makes New York revival hip hop. He's doing absolutely nothing to reinvent the hip hop wheel. I really don't know how you found his painfully obvious boom bap influence "novel"
>>
>>63319706
I think we are, with a new era and love for positive and more good acceptance of the nerdy balck person (the childish Gambino type)
>>
>>63320187
Relative to older genres like rock, country, jazz, classical, blues, r&b, etc. All of which have been around for at least 60+ years.
>>
>>63324312
His best album is weeping worm fool. And that's pure ugly mane. Mti and plays circle can be Memphis revival. But his newest albums and the beat tapes shouldn't be called that. He's a beat genius with a biggie like flow and you should get fucked
>>
>>63324513
lol
>>
>>63319706
New? It never had one.
>>
>>63324513
I was referring to MTI as his best album and memphis revival... Also

>best album
>an EP
Nice one dog
>>
>>63319716
Hell yeah
>>
>>63324155
>backpack rap
I throw up in my mouth a little every time someone says this.
>>
>>63324757
This
>>
>>63319706
Nope. Hip hop is dead. Its been replaced by cheezy gold chain "trap" music.
>>
hip hop isn't even close to being dead, it can never die for several reasons
>it's fucking easy to make
>it affords more latitude musically than any other genre (you can sample literally anything)
>it's the biggest genre in the world
>it's cheap for labels to deal with, the production costs are low at entry and artists market themselves by talking shit constantly

and there is tons of hip hop out there that never gets discussed here, most of it tbqh

if all you have heard is /mu/ core hip hop then yeah it probably seems a bit stale
>>
>>63324513
weeping worm is pretty sick, but it's still just horrorcore revival.
>>
File: newclouddead12[1].jpg (2 MB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
newclouddead12[1].jpg
2 MB, 1800x1200
Will anything like cLOUDDEAD happen again?
>>
No.
>>
>>63324664
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_age_hip_hop
>>
>>63320448
he was a member of NAMBLA
>>
>>63324757
Ya sound like a faggot m8.
>>
>>63325536
Funny, I don't think he looks anything like Marlon Brando
>>
>creative renaissance?
>slowed down 80's hits
>>
>>63320131
I just took your advice expecting memes but its actually just a tasty as fuck album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6idrRb33ZK0
>>
>>63324513
>He's a beat genius with a biggie like flow

sigh
>>
>>63324068
>Relatively
>>
>>63324513
>>63324312
One of you two niggers tell me what the fuck he's saying in the very beginning of the song before any chorus or actual recorded lyrics begin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGF_EUvsEic

It sounds vaguely like "where you at" but really muddled. It's driving me crazy.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>63327487
Coochie wet
>>
Trap is so creatively braindead, though, and TPAB just regurgitates ideas that A Tribe Called Quest did better 25 years ago.
>>
>>63328424
Is that seriously it? Any way I can fact check this, by chance? A lot of pages with lyrics don't track things like that, sadly.
>>
im a massive hip-hop fan but still dont understand what 'backpack rap' is? is it just a meaningless empty word for guys not talking about gang-banging while rapping? does it need any features other than that?

i also hate the word trap, swear its just a new word for something that existed for years. hip-hop fans suck in general...
>>
It already happened a few years ago with the revival and evolution of sounds inspired by 90s memphis rap

>>63319749
reminder that posts like this are literally the "nothing will ever touch (shit dadrock band)!!!" of hip hop

(TPAB is awful tho)
>>
>>63320434
a lot of punks like LUM and memphis shit
>>
>>63324513
weeping worm isn't a cohesive release dumbass

Passion Sceptre/Dert Mystery is his best work, I'll give you that, but treating a bandcamp b-sides roundup as an actual release is fucking retarded

The Three Sided tapes are decent but only decent because they're literally just shit he cba to finish and release throughout the years

OA is his best full length project but it's fuckjing retarded to even compare it to MTI because the only thing they have in common is who made them and it was basically only released under the LUM name to satiate ravenous morons like you

jesus no wonder he hates his fans. this is what happens when a DIY musician gets exposed to hypebeast teens.
>>
>>63328538
no you idiot

you aren't supposed to be able to hear what the sample says, it's there because of how it sounds
>>
>>63329130
Alright alright. It was only simple curiosity. Sue me.
>>
who limp bizkit here?
>>
Is math-rap a thing yet?
>>
>>63327487
probably where you at
>>
>>63319706
Cities Aviv, Rejjie Snow, and hopefully underground producers like Tuamie, ILLingsworth, and Sir Froderick Loops hopefully will breath some life into the underground scene if they get more collabs.

Hell, I think artists like Anderson Paak, Nemo Achida, and Azaelia Banks have a more upbeat and different feel to what hiphop could be. The only thing they need is the limelight and some of them are getting that, I really want rap to be a tad more upbeat and take itself a tad less seriously. It isn't like this is the early 2000s where everyone is like "THUG LIFE BIX NIGGA". But the past few projects by some of the rappers I've seen are too deep and too indie for casuals. This is a big reason why Rae Sremmurd jives with normies, they don't take themselves so damn seriously and just have fun and put out constant projects. Time will tell.
>>
>>63329906
in the early 90's there was a shitload of hip-hop that was positive and upbeat and fun http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Positive%20Tip
>>
>>63329906
problem is the beats from guys like tuamie, knx, illingswort et al arent really suited to a commercially viable MC (or ay MC's for that matter). i like how the focu is purely on the beats and how they do wild remix of classic rap tunes etc. i think theyre ill but doubt theyll ever be mainstream in any way.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
I don't think so, all the best hip hop is still with an MC and a DJ

Posting some hip hop from the past few years that actually has a DJ who does something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdn3__jAH64
>>
File: Black_up.jpg (130 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Black_up.jpg
130 KB, 900x900
>>63320946
but what about this album nigga
>>
>>63330078
Don't you remember that Knx teamed up with Anderson Paak to form "NxWorries"? Their tape was fucking amazing.

Suede and Link Up have great potential, and if their next tape is a bit more radio friendly they could definitely have great pop appeal, so much so that I could see Anderson Paak being on the same level as The Weeknd. ILLingsworth also did a collab with Rufio Jones whos a no name MC, but showed a lot of promise.

At the end of they day they need to get their grind up. I can definitely see all of them being commercially viable, they could definitely be like Dilla and produce beats for mainstream rappers once they get the notoriety.
>>
>>63330313
i agree but those projects you mentioned are them deliberately more viable, i agree suede and link up have a great poppy sensibility to them but theyre fairly atypical of knx beats. i think the LA beat scene would lose its edge if it was to strive for more commercial success. those off kilter drum, mad unusual sounds/samples are what gives it appeal to me. theyre beats that are more experimental than your typical boom-bap but still bang, and i think if it was to blow up it would sadly lose its edge...but yeh i think those guys are definitely capable of more commercial stuff so i guess i both agree and disagree
>>
Maybe we'll see some more spoken word type stuff like Milo but I doubt it will really blow up, imo the spoken word is still as polarizing as ever and the cloud beats are the only thing that really make it accessible
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6FHwZpB27U

the beatnik influenced hip-hop youre all craving happened 16 years a go t b h
>>
It's on the cusp of being better than 2000's hip hop, but not 90's hip hop.
>>
>>63330510
yeah you are right honestly. I guess what makes underground scene great is its niche taste. Knx's Hud Dreem was pretty lowkey and niche to all people. So I think your right about the scene losing it's edge if they went all out just for commercial success strictly.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (74 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
74 KB, 1280x720
thoughts on Nacho P?
>>
The murky-ass lo-fi synths Odd Future was built around early on were never really explored much outside of that mediocre-ass group, and I feel like that skate rap sound could still be a thing. See: ILLFIGHTYOU and associated projects. It's a unique sound w/o being so radically different as to be a separate genre.
>>
>>63319706
Hip hop is at a compeltely abysmal creative low right now and it gets worse every year

The answer is no
>>
>>63331719
Did i say every year? I meant every day

Fuck it hip hop gets worse by the hour
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.