[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Miles Davis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
File: bitch.jpg (1 MB, 2704x1418) Image search: [Google]
bitch.jpg
1 MB, 2704x1418
Is his music pleb? The only jazz I know is Coltrane, Charlie Parker, and Miles Davis. Is he popular because hes pleb or is he popular because he's good? If not direct me towards more patrician jazz
>>
mu is very weak at recommending jazz, even RYM is probably better honestly
>>
>>63311038
sounds like you should probably wait a year or two before trying to get in to jazz t b h
>>
>>63311080
lol no. as bad as /mu/ is, RYM is worse
>>
So you only listen to music other people tell you is 'patrician'?
>>
>>63311038
He's good but nowhere near the pinnacle of jazz
Although everyone appreciates works like Kind Of Blue and Bitches Brew, anyone with those as their top albums usually 1. doesn't know much jazz besides that or 2. Have some extramusical attachment to the records

Overall, either start from the creoles and then move ahead or shelter yourself into bebop and then move both ways chronologically
>>
>>63311038
neo mu taking the pleb and patrician shit seriously will never not make me want to kill myself. form your own opinions you fucks
>>
he's pretty entry-level but entry-level is not synonymous with bad no matter how hard this board tries to convince you
>>
You gotta start somewhere senpai
He's good. Get some books, and stop with the patrician/pleb meme, seriously, it's fucking retarded.
>>
>>63311160
Not OP, but those are among my favorite jazz albums and I do know a lot of jazz.
>>
>>63311038
>is Davis pleb
not at all
>is he popular because he's pleb or because good
the latter

not to say he doesn't have pleb albums, but shit like On the Corner, Dark Magus, Sketches of Spain, Big Fun...BANGERZ
>>
>>63311038
In a Silent Way is a fucking masterpiece
>>
>>63311282
Yeah, I guess
Both me and a lot of people who study jazz kind of have a love-hate relationship with Davis in that people who consider him the "best of the best" usually don't do so out of actual enjoyment or appreciation. I guess I overstepped my boundary but it's a touchy topic for me
>>
>>63311160
one of my friends is a professional jazz pianist and performs like 3 days a week and he thinks Kind of Blue is by a clear margin the best jazz record either made

it's only mu that's obsessed with avantgarde and free jazz
>>
>>63311318
I guess
As I said, I probably was exaggerating, but amongst the musicians that I play and talk with, it's often the case that they kind of roll their eyes when someone argues that Davis is the best and no one can compare

Still, I'll concede that you can see those albums as the best
>>
A lot of jazz is very generic and samey anyway
>>
File: 1457882166313.jpg (21 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1457882166313.jpg
21 KB, 500x333
>>63311382
>>63311382

why am I still watching this thread
>>
Dark Magus is his best album
Listen to Dark Magus
>>
Listen careful OP, if you're the kind of guy that only listens to albums that are deemed patrician without knowing we they're good, you should give up music as a hobby and start collecting expensive graphics cards. You need to explore Jazz yourself. If you eventually find that Davis is pleb, then consider him so. If you can't tell the difference yet, you don't have any reason to try and seek out the more obscure stuff.
>>
>>63311318
>it's only mu that's obsessed with avantgarde and free jazz
this is true
/mu/ loves anything with "avant-garde" or "experimental" plastered on to it no matter how shit it is
>>
>>63311288
Pretty much everything he did from 1967 to 1972 is incredible.
>>
Can anyone briefly explain why Kind of Blue is always considered his best?

I found In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew much more interesting

I'm a jazz peasant btw
>>
Jazz is a broad genre, it's hard to say what's "best" in the same way that it's hard to say what rock music is best if you're talking about everything from the 50's to now. There's too much variation, it's not one genre but more like a collection of genres, and "best" just depends on what you like best.
>>
File: 1456862405933.jpg (166 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1456862405933.jpg
166 KB, 750x750
not op but i've been going to a record store and buying music for the past week but im tired of buying shit i've already listened to and have been wanting to get into jazz but don't know what to get first
>>
>>63311038
He's one of the greatest musical minds of all-time.

And if an artist is popular, there's probably some reason to like them... overrated or not there's obviously redeeming qualities in there somewhere

>>63311309
this, my favourite album of all time
>>
>>63312524
am op, same feeling
>>
>>63311309
>>63312525
That moment when the cymbals break out on Its About That Time along with the trumpet solo, it's fucking magic
>>
>>63312557
There are charts on how to get into jazz on here, on rym..
And drop the pleb/patrician stuff, nobody who's really into music cares.
>>
bitches brew is not something you listen to when you don't know/understand jazz. just because some people say it's the best jazz album of all time does not mean that you'll like it or fall in love with it as soon as your hear it. and no, miles davis's music is not pleb. i don't understand how you could ever think that miles davis was a pleb
>>
>>63311114

Where have you been the last few months? /mu/ is shittier than rym in general.
>>
>>63312770
I know next to nothing about jazz and really enjoy Bitches Brew, stuff like Miles Runs the Voodoo Down is awesome and in my opinion pretty accessible
>>
File: img_5055.jpg (347 KB, 1016x1016) Image search: [Google]
img_5055.jpg
347 KB, 1016x1016
I like his cocaine-fueled jazz-funk delirium than the his proper jazz album
>>
File: 1457116868093.png (598 KB, 1095x1080) Image search: [Google]
1457116868093.png
598 KB, 1095x1080
>>63312524
i'd also like to mention that i've listened to spiritual unity and liked it, so where does that leave me in terms of a starting point for jazz
>>
>>63312335
because kind of blue completely changed the jazz game in 1959 along with the shape of jazz to come (ornette coleman), ah um (mingus) and time out (dave brubeck) by breaking away from bebop and by exploring a new form of jazz based on improvisation. this documentary explains extremely well how important 1959 was in jazz history https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dou3aSZmEg0
>>
File: jackjohnson.jpg (23 KB, 400x395) Image search: [Google]
jackjohnson.jpg
23 KB, 400x395
>tfw no one talks about this album
It even has one of Miles' best solos
>>
>>63312653
One of my favourite moments in recorded music history... probably my favourite on the album
>>
>>63312884
i find that with a base of knowledge in jazz music, it is way easier to comprehend bitches brew and i'm surprised you like it even without knowing anything about jazz.
>>
>>63312954
Interesting mate thanks, I'll have a look

Seems I need to get into the history of jazz to really appreciate it
>>
>>63311309
It's my favourite jazz album.

>>63312653
[3]
>>
>>63312954
>a new form of jazz based on improvisation
spot the person who has no idea what he's talking about
>>
>>63313019
it's really worth it. that's how i came to love jazz.
ragtime, classic jazz, gypsy jazz, big band, bebop, cool jazz, hard bop, bossa nova, soul jazz, fusion, afro-cuban jazz (cubop), post-bop, acid jazz, smooth jazz, retro swing, jesus christ there's so much. and each style learns from the one before it, except for ragtime which is the pure base of jazz. it's so fucking worth it
>>
>>63313110
he seems to think you can't improvise over set chord changes. poor bugger.
>>
>I can't tell for myself if someone is a talented musician unless an anime imageboard tells me so
>>
>>63313004
I'm not saying I understand/appreciate it on the same level as someone who really knows jazz, but its appeal is probably more obvious than you think

Even my mate who listens exclusively to Dream Theatre and Led Zeppelin thinks it's cool
>>
>>63313110
i meant an alternative approach to improvisation based on letting musicians do solos.
>>
>>63313281
lol.
>>
>>63313156
If he/she has no idea what he's/she's talking about then how would you define how 1959 changed jazz
>>
>>63313404
>then how would you define how 1959 changed jazz

it killed jazz.
>>
>>63313422
How did it kill jazz?
>>
>>63311038

there is a reason why he is mainstream.

But think, even though he is mainstream in the Jazz world, how many people actually *listen* to his music? Bet you can only count a few on one hand

that said this is the problem with mu, just because something is popular, or well known, doesn't automatically discredit it.
>>
>>63313453
modal jazz = muzak.
>>
>>63313468

Sorry I meant how many people do you know, that actually listen to his music
>>
>>63313468
kind of blue was extremely influential and made many people love jazz. there's also alot of people who still listen to miles.
>>
>>63313422
>it killed jazz.

because your opinion on how jazz was after 1959 defines how everyone should see it
>>
>>63313607
i hope i didn't hurt your feelings.
>>
>>63313635
art is subjective
music is subjective
jazz is subjective
>>
>>63313281
because there was not a single solo in jazz music prior to 1959? i know it's hard to not be this woefully ignorant and try to put on the air of knowing something, but you should really try to change your ways.
>>
>>63313542

oh dude I wasn't saying anything bad about miles, I absolutely love Kind of Blue (even have it on limited vinyl) but I hate the mindset that because it's so well known that it must actually suck

Flamenco Sketches is one of my favorite songs of all time, I know that at least.

I'm just saying though, I don't know many people that actually sit down to listen to Jazz.

Freeform is a little out there though, even for me.

But the fact a lot of people liked the movie Whiplash shows I guess that a lot of people do appreciate Jazz, even if they don't actually listen to it.
>>
>>63312969

It's my favorite of all his albums.
>>
>>63313718
I think what he meant was that they focused on improv and soloing more than before 1959
Soloing and the freedom it brought is what characterized modal jazz
>>
>>63313754
even if you did you don't really have to justify your tastes to me, but i agree with the fact that no one around me seems to be interested in jazz music. the name billie holiday doesn't even seem to ring a bell. the problem with whiplash is that i've been told that it's not an accurate portrait of how music conservatories work or of how studying jazz is today, although i'm not sure about that, it's just that it would suck if it were so
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.