[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
which is the superior album and why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 23897589375.jpg (42 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
23897589375.jpg
42 KB, 960x720
which is the superior album and why
>>
>>63297660
Left has better lyrics, right has better music.
>>
>>63297660
kinda hard to compare them i m o

Holy Bible is an exhibition of a suffering poet, whilst Everything Must Go is a rebirth
>>
>>63297660
Do we have to?
>>
Lifeblood
>>
Everything Must Go is better, it doesn't try as hard as The Holy Bible.
>>
>>63297672
THB stand out just as much musically as it does lyrically

EMG is mostly just crunchy Britpop
>>
>>63297718
>it doesn't try as hard
>means it's better
this is retard logic by the way
>>
THB is DUDE EDGY TEENAGE DIARY LYRICS LMAO while EMG is listening to a the group mature and finally come to their own after a bunch of a-level political """poetry""" albums.
>>
There are few albums that nail despair and human suffering as well as The Holy Bible, but even fewer albums that represent the cathartic feeling of coming back to life from dealing with personal catastrophe as perfectly as Everything Must Go.

I'd say EMG, though both are fantastic in my opinion.
>>
>>63297696
this album gets a lot of shit, even from the band, and i don't know why. it's fucking great.

futurology was really good too. was like THB and lifeblood had a fucked up german baby.
>>
The Manics never reached the heights that they could have done if it was Richey Edwards with a different set of musicians. James Bradfield, as songwriter, failed to match the harshness of the lyrics on THB with equally harsh music - even the songwriting on their pop records (which they are much more suited for as a band) is weak.
>>
>>63298538
Bradfield, along with Cocker and the Gallaghers, was probably the most skilled pop songwriter in Great Britain and the time. The guy had (and still has) an amazing talent for catchy melodies and good arrangements which enhance them. I never cared too much for Manics' lyrics, but the music was IMO consistently of high quality.
>>
meme
>>
>>63298538
I dunno, I thought Bradfield got better as they went along. He has a good sense of melody and if you look at the discography he can cover a wide range of territory.

And I thought what made THB so great was Bradfield's ability TO match the mood of the lyrics. Everyone praises THB because of the lyrics but not many discuss the talent Bradfield had to not only take that mess of lyrics and put them to music but put them to music that was just as """"haunting"""" as the words he was singing.

I don't even want to think about Edwards with another set of musicians. What did he say he wanted the next album to sound like before he disappeared? Screamadelica meets Pantera meets Nine Inch Nails or some shit like that. I doubt they would've lasted much longer because he was butting into Bradfield and Moore's side of the work.
>>
>>63298696
Pantera meets Screamadelica meets Nine Inch Nails would've been a much more interesting listen than EMG
>>
>>63298763
Oh I definitely would've been interested to hear it. iirc Edwards wasn't too jazzed about how "Kevin Carter" turned out so if that's the case it's obvious he wanted to go even further into batshit territory and make them even more difficult to market. But he never took an interest in the technical side of things in the studio and bitched and moaned when Bradfield told him to practice guitar so I think he was a bit of an ass attempting to play producer without doing any of the work especially when the general agreement was Edwards and Wire would do the lyrics while Bradfield and Moore did the music.

EMG has some pretty good songs and it deserves credit for the shit the band went through to make it but it's overrated imo and you can't help but wonder how things would've turned out musically if Edwards hadn't left. I'm not sure if JFPL is really any indication of that.
>>
>>63297660
Everything must go.

Because it's like Oasis but smarter
>>
The Holy Bible stands up today as a totally unique achievement, the mix of Richey's bat-shit lyrics and JDB's guitar work is a fantastic combination.

I love EMG too, although it has a couple more Manics-by-numbers songs (Australia, Further Away)
>>
>>63297660
I don't really care. Why did you guy's trick me into listening to these?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.